*Author

Offline Essence

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Voice of the Oracle -- Jezzie's Pimp -- Often Gone
  • Awards: 2nd Trials - Master of Water1st Trials - Master of WaterFG Deck-Designer - The OutcastsShard Madness! Competition WinnerEpic 3 Card Design Competition WinnerElder Recruiter
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg263477#msg263477
« Reply #108 on: February 03, 2011, 11:16:51 am »
Good idea, Vyrys.  An excellent post given that it's among your first 4. 8)
If something happens and you think it deserves my attention, feel free to PM me. Other than that, I'm probably here if you want to shoot the breeze.

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg263864#msg263864
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2011, 02:41:07 am »
I find that while large decks usually have a higher QI, deck size is not the factor that causes larger decks to want a QI. It is instead, it is the deck's amount of cards it wants to play as soon as they are drawn. If your deck is a rush with a lot of creatures, it will want a lower QI than average so it can play its cards as soon as they are drawn. However, a stall will often not want to play it's cards as soon as they are drawn. Thus they will wait longer to want to play the card, perhaps when they opponent has a creature for them to kill. Which means they will get more quantum to play that card during the time they wait. Rushes need a low QI; stalls need a high QI. So what does this have to do with deck size? Rushes are usually 30 cards; stalls are often larger. QI should be balanced based on speed instead of size
Somehow still around, somewhat

Offline UTAlan

• Reputation Power: 58
  • UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Immortally Aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeReviver of the WikiWar #6 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSecond Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg289170#msg289170
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:48 pm »
Has anyone started working on a tool to calculate QI? I'd like to, but I don't want to waste my time if someone else is already doing so. I skimmed this thread and didn't see anyone talking about one. I'll go back and read it more carefully, but thought I'd ask in the mean time.  :)

Offline Xinef

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Fluttershy's samurai
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg289423#msg289423
« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2011, 10:44:28 am »
It seems that all publicly declared attempts to write a tool are currently on hold. Anyway, you might be interested in this thread:
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,5672.0.html

If I remember correctly, I declared my attempts too at some point, but a higher priority project appeared soon enough so I had to stop pretty much as I was still designing the GUI. Puppychow's attempts are probably more advanced, but I haven't seen him for quite a while.
May the force of the D4HK side be with U ^_^
:time samurai

Offline UTAlan

• UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Immortally Aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeReviver of the WikiWar #6 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSecond Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg291985#msg291985
« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2011, 09:00:08 pm »
I may need to start my own thread for this, but for now this seems an appropriate place to put it:

Quantum-Index.com (http://Quantum-Index.com).

I'm open to constructive criticism, so let me know what you all think. I still have yet to read this thread in it's entirety, so there is certainly room for improvement, but this is a good starting point. As of now, all cards have been added and I did my best to accurately measure the quanta cost/gain per card. I'm hoping to put this info on the site soon, but for now, I put a spreadsheet online (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtIJScFz1sS7dEtDbnpacjFFTDZCZ2NwMW1zQzBxaVE&hl=en).

Offline pikachufan2164

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Phase in, phase out.
  • Awards: Rouser of Willng3 RecruitsWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #5 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake 	2nd Trivia Winner
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg292035#msg292035
« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2011, 09:55:10 pm »
I may need to start my own thread for this, but for now this seems an appropriate place to put it:

I'm open to constructive criticism, so let me know what you all think. I still have yet to read this thread in it's entirety, so there is certainly room for improvement, but this is a good starting point. As of now, all cards have been added and I did my best to accurately measure the quanta cost/gain per card. I'm hoping to put this info on the site soon, but for now, I put a spreadsheet online (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtIJScFz1sS7dEtDbnpacjFFTDZCZ2NwMW1zQzBxaVE&hl=en).
Very nice :)

There are a few things that aren't quite correct with the calculation, though.

1. The mark is not factored into the calculation. It should count as a pillar for the element in question (the lack of a mark consideration messes up calculations involving pendulums).

2. Elements are not QI'ed separately. Each element should have its own QI analysis done (i.e. if I had a :death / :darkness deck, then I would need to QI the :death portion, and then do a QI on the :darkness portion).

3. Ability activation costs are not done properly. They should only be accounted for if that element is actually usable in the deck. Also, there may be a need to count ability costs once (if it's situational), twice (if it's advantageous to use every turn), or none at all (if the ability isn't meant to be used for the deck in question).

I'm not entirely sure on the QI calculation of cards like Quantum Tower, Nova, Supernova, Fractal, Miracle, and Sky Blitz -- some thoughts on how to calculate those should hopefully be in this thread somewhere.
I'm doing science, and I'm still alive.

Level 2 Magic Judge.

Offline UTAlan

• Immortally Aether
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg292062#msg292062
« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2011, 10:36:48 pm »
1. The mark is not factored into the calculation. It should count as a pillar for the element in question (the lack of a mark consideration messes up calculations involving pendulums).
This has been added. I meant to do this before posting here, but forgot to go back to it.  ::)

2. Elements are not QI'ed separately. Each element should have its own QI analysis done (i.e. if I had a :death / :darkness deck, then I would need to QI the :death portion, and then do a QI on the :darkness portion).
This is something I intend on doing soon. I built my data around that concept, as I am already storing the quanta cost/mark to play the card, as well as the cost/mark for the special ability. This is fairly trivial for cards like Lava Destroyers, but gets more complicated for cards like Leaf Dragons.

3. Ability activation costs are not done properly. They should only be accounted for if that element is actually usable in the deck. Also, there may be a need to count ability costs once (if it's situational), twice (if it's advantageous to use every turn), or none at all (if the ability isn't meant to be used for the deck in question).
This is a little daunting, but it can be done. (If quanta generation for a particular mark is 0, ignore its costs.) It'll probably look more feasible once (2) is done.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg292118#msg292118
« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2011, 11:28:46 pm »
I've always counted the mark as 2 pillars because it generate about as much quantum as 2 random pillars. 3 if you have a low TTW.
Somehow still around, somewhat

Crimsonthorn

Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg292442#msg292442
« Reply #116 on: March 17, 2011, 02:20:53 pm »
Cards: 37
Total Cost of Cards: 110
Total Cost of Abilities: -25
Number of Pillars: 2.0
QI

Your QI is 42.5, which means you have too few pillars.

6 RoL, 6 Cremate etc

Offline Jangoo

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Jangoo hides under a Cloak.
  • New to You
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg310945#msg310945
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2011, 09:52:11 am »

Please do start your own thread for this ... otherwise it will be lost instantly.

Great work so far!

It does seem to have trouble recognizing what the deck actually is in terms of main-quanta and mark-quanta:
I constantly get different arrangements for duos and trios ... sometimes the actual mark is right in front, sometimes
in the back, sometimes a third "mark" is displayed which plays absolutely no part in the deck. Then, sometimes
mark quanta (for the actual mark) are calculated as 5 and sometimes not.

Offline YoungSot

• Reputation Power: 18
  • YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • SootySot!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Using Quanta Index to determine the optimal number of Pillars in a deck https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg311087#msg311087
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2011, 03:28:44 pm »
Please do start your own thread for this ... otherwise it will be lost instantly.
Yeah, you should do this when you get a chance. It seems to me that it's come along far enough to be a useful tool, and making it more visible means better feedback and more suggestions for improvement.

Offline UTAlan

• Immortally Aether
Quantum-Index.com https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5676.msg311701#msg311701
« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2011, 02:33:35 pm »
Quantum Index Tool (http://www.elements.alanbeam.net)

This is a tool I built based on this thread by SG (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,5676). It is currently a work in progress, so please bear with me as I work out the kinks. I appreciate any and all feedback anybody can provide in order to help improve the tool. Please keep in mind that QI is used as a guide in deck-building. While a QI of 5.0 appears to be ideal in many cases, this does not guarantee your deck will have the ideal amount of quanta every match. I hope it can assist you in your deck-building, but don't rely on it to do all the work for you. ;)

The Formula

QI
=
Deck Cost

(Deck Quanta Generation / 5)
QI tells you how good your ratio of non-pillars to pillars is in a given deck.

Assumptions:
  • 30 card deck
  • A pillar, on average, generates 5 quanta a game
  • A Mark behaves identically to a pillar
  • There is not currently enough evidence to determine what the ideal QI is in a rainbow deck. (ANYONE?)
Notes:
  • QI is calculated independently for each element in use in your deck.
  • The observed ideal QI for a deck is 5.0
  • QI of greater than 5 is not producing enough quanta, while QI of less than 5 is producing too much quanta.
Each card has 2 values pertinent to this formula:
  • Cost
  • Quanta Generation
Cost

Each card's cost is a sum of two values:
  • The cost to play the card. This will always be a value of 0 or greater.
  • The cost to play the card's special ability. This will always be a value of 0 or greater.
Quanta Generation

This is a value representing the average quanta generated in a game by the card.

Pillar
Cost: 0
Quanta Generation: 5 (of respective element)

Tower
Quanta Generation: 6 (of respective element)

Nova
Quanta Generation: 1 (for each element)

Supernova
Cost: 2 (Entropy)
Quanta Generation: 2 (for each element)

Immolation
Quanta Generation: 7 (Fire), 1 (for each non-Fire element)

Cremation
Quanta Generation: 9 (Fire), 1 (for each non-Fire element)

Devourer
Cost: 2 (Darkness), 1 (Earth)
Quanta Generation: 5 (Darkness)

Example Deck

Code: [Select]
61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61o 61s 61s 61s 61s 61s 61t 61t 61t 61t 61t 61t 61v 61v 61v 61v
This is The Essential Halfblood Farmer. To calculate the QI, we start by adding up to total cost of all cards in the deck.

Cost = (0 * 15) [Pillars] + (6 * 5) [Immortals] + (6 * 6) [Dim Shields] + (13 * 4) [Dragons] = 118

We then add up the total Quanta Generation of all the cards in the deck.

Quanta Generation = (5 * 15) [Pillars] + (0 * 5) [Immortals] + (0 * 6) [Dim Shields] + (0 * 4) [Dragons] + (5) [Mark] = 80

Throw these values into our formula and you get: 118 / (80 / 5) = 118 / 16 = 7.375

This deck is not producing enough quanta to fuel the deck, according to its QI. You can observe this while playing the deck by seeing that you are usually unable to play all the cards in your hand due to not having enough quanta.

• OTHER cards, such as SoG, have their cost divided up evenly over however many elements in which your deck is generating quanta. For example, in a duo deck with SoGs, the cost of SoG is (3/2) for both of those elements.
  • If you have cards in your deck that generate unused quanta, the tool will show 0 cost, X quanta generation. The same goes for cards with costs from elements that are not generating any quanta. If you are okay with not using the extra quanta, or don't need to spend the quanta for that particular card (special ability?), you can ignore these results. Cards like Nova and Immolation will inevitably show every element.
  • I documented all cards and their costs/quanta generation in a Google Spreadsheet (https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtIJScFz1sS7dEtDbnpacjFFTDZCZ2NwMW1zQzBxaVE&hl=en) for those who are interested.
I hope I can continue to improve this tool until it is found useful enough for general use in deck-building of non-rainbow decks.  :D

anything
blarg: