*Author

Scaredgirl

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg55678#msg55678
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 09:47:39 am »
You have received feedback from the community and Card Curator, and have made changes to your card idea based on that feedback

So if everyone loves your card and thinks it's fine as it is, you still have to make SOME change in order to get into the Crucible?

That's crap.
I did put the "based on that feedback" there in the end. So if the feedback is: "Your card is awesome! Don't change anything!", then you of course don't change anything.

One of my card ideas is a batch of 12 cards, all mechanically Identical but designed in such that there is one per element. How is this to be submitted? Ie if Pillars were to be suggested as a card idea how would they be submitted?

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,5174.0.html

Well, since they are identical, I guess you should start one post with all the 12 cards. Although I personally see no point in making 12 different cards if they are all identical. Why not just make one, and just mention there should be one for each element. After all we are only talking about IDEAS here, and producing 12 identical cards sounds a bit weird unless there is a guarantee that they actually make into the game.

One question: why the need to reinvent Pillars? Those "Rush" cards are basically alternative Pillars. Having one in each element could make things more complicated to new players. Having only one makes more sense to me.

Or if there were 12 of them, I think they should all be a bit different. Each element could have one non-pillar card that produces quantum. Entropy has Nova. 11 more elements to go.

Kael Hate

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg55681#msg55681
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 10:02:03 am »
One question: why the need to reinvent Pillars? Those "Rush" cards are basically alternative Pillars. Having one in each element could make things more complicated to new players. Having only one makes more sense to me.
They are not re-invention of the Pillars. It is a mecahnical solution to the request for Dual-Quanta production.

Or if there were 12 of them, I think they should all be a bit different. Each element could have one non-pillar card that produces quantum. Entropy has Nova. 11 more elements to go.
They are a key mechanical card. Not an independant mechanical card series. Albiet to this I already have a series of card ideas that all deal with Quantum mechanics in an In-element fashion. The Life Bloom http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,5313.0.html is the first of these posted.

assassim

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg55942#msg55942
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:52:26 pm »
Wouldn't it make more sense if card sets (such as the horse one) or synergy cards (like my slimes) was put in a single topic? That way the idea board wouldn't be flooded by a couple sets.

Wisemage

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56193#msg56193
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 01:22:49 am »
I feel the one card per thread is kind of clogging this forum and making it kind of messy.

Like with the person making Mount cards it would be so much better to be all in one thread, especially since they are part of a series of cards.

Completely different cards should still have their own threads.

EDI: and i didnt read this thread and assassim beat me to it.

Scaredgirl

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56307#msg56307
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 06:55:10 am »
They are not re-invention of the Pillars. It is a mecahnical solution to the request for Dual-Quanta production.

Well, that's just semantics but I personally see them as such.

- They are cards designed for only one purpose: quantum production
- Each element has one, and they are mechanically identical
- They offer an alternative for taking Pillars

A new source for quantum would be interesting, but if it makes the game more complex for newbies, it might not be a good idea.

Wouldn't it make more sense if card sets (such as the horse one) or synergy cards (like my slimes) was put in a single topic? That way the idea board wouldn't be flooded by a couple sets.
Yes, "sets" or "series" will have their own threads (or something like that). I did mention about that but maybe it wasn't on this thread.

I feel the one card per thread is kind of clogging this forum and making it kind of messy.

Like with the person making Mount cards it would be so much better to be all in one thread, especially since they are part of a series of cards.
It's not as easy as that. If we have 12 cards in one thread, discussion becomes impossible. Then again I do understand that starting an individual thread for all those 12 cards might also be problematic.

I think Crucible will fix the problem (at least some of it) by listing and linking all the cards. This way a card doesn't have to be on the "Card Ideas" front page in order for you to find it.

But we'll see how it plays out. This is all very experimental and subject to change, so keep posting your ideas.

Kael Hate

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56317#msg56317
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:05 am »
10 sec with this template table drove me nutters.
If I made a spreadsheet tool, would anyone want to use it?

- Uses Excel (xls) files
- Type in the fields.
- Save as text
- Copy the text and paste into Fourm post for filled table.

Offline Kamietsu

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56318#msg56318
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 08:25:25 am »

- Uses Excel (xls) files
- Type in the fields.
- Save as text
You must not use HTML then. It's pretty easy to use actually, just do what SG says, replace all the ***something*** with what it says to replace it with.
╔╦╦═╦══╦╗  ( ̄ー ̄) --Snorlax says:
║═╣╬║║║║║    Eat your shower, brush your toothpaste, take your teeth.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Kael Hate

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56320#msg56320
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 08:47:05 am »

- Uses Excel (xls) files
- Type in the fields.
- Save as text
You must not use HTML then. It's pretty easy to use actually, just do what SG says, replace all the ***something*** with what it says to replace it with.
I use HTML all the time.
I have an aversion to HTML tables for Data entry and display as it is very hard to move that data around cleanly. You may have noticed that I have been using monospaced preformated text for my other card entries. It is extremely clean and easy to duplicate and move around and as a data value for database or wiki content extremely easy to reference.

@SG

- In this table can we have a space added to Additional Information and that box right-aligned so it looks neat.

- For data entry a space-carat ' ^' used as the field designator can be quicker. Also allows a CTRL-F and replacement of the field.

- And for the naming of Topics is there a reason we went with forwardslash '/' over the pipe '|'? I would prefer pipe '|'. It is cleaner. Scyther has used pipe on his ideas too.

Scaredgirl

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56408#msg56408
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2010, 12:58:15 pm »

- Uses Excel (xls) files
- Type in the fields.
- Save as text
I use HTML all the time.
I have an aversion to HTML tables for Data entry and display as it is very hard to move that data around cleanly. You may have noticed that I have been using monospaced preformated text for my other card entries. It is extremely clean and easy to duplicate and move around and as a data value for database or wiki content extremely easy to reference.
BBcode is not perfect. Not even close. But it's what forums use so we are stuck with it.

I personally think the system is quite easy considering it uses BBcode. I used a group of mentally challenged chimps to test it and they all passed. Like Kami said, all you need to do is replace the "***something***". How hard can it be?

But if someone wants to create a WYSIWYG version that produces the necessary BBcode, by all means do so.

@SG

- In this table can we have a space added to Additional Information and that box right-aligned so it looks neat.
Actually I'm fixing this by changing it to "Notes". This way the code will be cleaner because there's no need for that extra line.

The Black text is starting to bother me a bit. There's not enough contrast. I might have to change it at some point.

- And for the naming of Topics is there a reason we went with forwardslash '/' over the pipe '|'? I would prefer pipe '|'. It is cleaner. Scyther has used pipe on his ideas too.
I agree that pipe is much better. However in my experience, majority of computer users don't know how to type the pipe, and then we start getting all kinds "how to type this?" -posts, people using the letter "I", etc. I thought "/" would be easier so I went with that, but if it's ok by everyone else, then lets go with the pipe.

Kael Hate

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56436#msg56436
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2010, 02:11:51 pm »

- Uses Excel (xls) files
- Type in the fields.
- Save as text
I use HTML all the time.
BBcode is not perfect. Not even close. But it's what forums use so we are stuck with it.

I personally think the system is quite easy considering it uses BBcode. I used a group of mentally challenged chimps to test it and they all passed. Like Kami said, all you need to do is replace the "***something***". How hard can it be?

But if someone wants to create a WYSIWYG version that produces the necessary BBcode, by all means do so.
Sadly my knowledge isn't infinite and bbcode mapping is one of the arts I have forsaken. Probably the most annoying thing is when using the code select from 1st page the nice formatting from the message is lost, but if you do a quote and copy out the template all the ***fields*** have their own line for things to be typed in on.

@SG

Actually I'm fixing this by changing it to "Notes". This way the code will be cleaner because there's no need for that extra line.

The Black text is starting to bother me a bit. There's not enough contrast. I might have to change it at some point.
Even though my life is cast in Black, I somewhat agree. Maybe Orange its not too bright but still clear. Agree on the Notes too.

Would you have objection to moving D|L into the type field? I see that in the wiki this has gone the split way tho.

I agree that pipe is much better. However in my experience, majority of computer users don't know how to type the pipe, and then we start getting all kinds "how to type this?" -posts, people using the letter "I", etc. I thought "/" would be easier so I went with that, but if it's ok by everyone else, then lets go with the pipe.
I should have realised this. Doing Technical support for Doctors I have had them press the 3 keys 'F'','1','0' becasue they thought that was what pressing 'F10' was.

Scaredgirl

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56532#msg56532
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2010, 05:41:53 pm »
Sadly my knowledge isn't infinite and bbcode mapping is one of the arts I have forsaken. Probably the most annoying thing is when using the code select from 1st page the nice formatting from the message is lost, but if you do a quote and copy out the template all the ***fields*** have their own line for things to be typed in on.
I don't quite understand what you are saying. If you use the "select" and copy-paste the whole thing, no formatting is lost.

Even though my life is cast in Black, I somewhat agree. Maybe Orange its not too bright but still clear. Agree on the Notes too.

Would you have objection to moving D|L into the type field? I see that in the wiki this has gone the split way tho.
I changed the color this morning. I chose this sand color which is pretty good I think. It's subtle, yet easily distinguishable.

Um. what's D|L?

I should have realised this. Doing Technical support for Doctors I have had them press the 3 keys 'F'','1','0' becasue they thought that was what pressing 'F10' was.
:)

Yeah, I think "/" might be the best way to go but do others think? Everyone know how to type "|"?

Kael Hate

Re: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING YOUR CARD IDEA! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=5039.msg56548#msg56548
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2010, 05:53:34 pm »
I don't quite understand what you are saying. If you use the "select" and copy-paste the whole thing, no formatting is lost.
When I use the 'Select' option on the code box and copy-paste all the neat presented formating ie each ***Field*** on a new line, is lost.

I changed the color this morning. I chose this sand color which is pretty good I think. It's subtle, yet easily distinguishable.

Um. what's D|L?
LOL. D|L was the standard for marking creature values in the old wiki and what most persons on the forum here seem to use. D (damage) | L (Life)

It's important to understand that the chances of your card idea actually making into the game are very slim. Even if your idea gets a lot of votes and reaches higher levels, the are zero guarantees that it will ever be used by the developers. Think of this whole operation more as fun, than any serious card design workshop.
I think this is a little degrading to the whole process. Can we change "Think of this whole operation more as fun, than any serious card design workshop." to "Think of this as a way to make your views on the direction of the game more visable rather than an over serious card design workshop.

anything
blarg: