*Author

Offline OldTreesTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg342288#msg342288
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2011, 08:01:49 pm »
I think the main categories should be:
- How much original the card idea is
- How well balanced the card is
- How much would it fit into the game
- How much would the addition of this card affect the quanta balancing of a certain deck type
So how about this division?
0-2 Originality
0-3 Balance
0-2 Theme (Elements chosen, Name, Genre)
0-3 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
0-10 Total
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
  • Awards: Winner of the Mark Redesign competition!
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg342332#msg342332
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 09:40:35 pm »
the only issue i see with "0-3 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)" is that the competition doesnt state anything about this being a desired focus for the cards being developed.  if we are going to add that as a judging criteria, we should give make a change to the post/rules and give distinct notice in a post in the thread and then ample time to make changes (13 days currently left seems sufficient, however)
moose dont say moo.

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg342346#msg342346
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2011, 10:10:53 pm »
the only issue i see with "0-3 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)" is that the competition doesnt state anything about this being a desired focus for the cards being developed.  if we are going to add that as a judging criteria, we should give make a change to the post/rules and give distinct notice in a post in the thread and then ample time to make changes (13 days currently left seems sufficient, however)
I will add a notice. That is a good point.

Is the notice clear enough?
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

• Legendary Member
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg349378#msg349378
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 02:50:36 am »
Poll is up.
Please vote on what you personally (but be objective) consider to be the top 15 candidates (slightly less than half). The submissions in the top third (10) will continue on.

The survivors will have 1 week to answer the question about what new deck types their submission would support. After that they will be examined by the following breakdown:

0-2 Originality
0-3 Balance
0-3 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
0-10 Total

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg350135#msg350135
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2011, 07:59:29 pm »
i think someone voted for dramatically fewer than 15 selections
moose dont say moo.

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Intelligence is overrated.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg350484#msg350484
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2011, 01:02:07 pm »
I voted for 9. The others weren't nearly as deserving.
[18:21:43] jmdt: elements is just math over top of a GUI
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg350500#msg350500
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2011, 01:50:11 pm »
i agree, but this is just a widdle down portion of voting, effectively the additional votes are just being used for tie-breakers for which ones we will actually evaluate.
moose dont say moo.

• Legendary Member
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg350875#msg350875
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 01:12:57 am »
I voted for 9. The others weren't nearly as deserving.
Stage I is culling the herd. Even undeserving ones will make it on our list to score. Their scores will show that.
Please vote for 6 more.

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg351029#msg351029
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 07:38:10 am »
Ok. Done. :)
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

• Legendary Member
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg353077#msg353077
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2011, 07:36:57 am »

• Legendary Member
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg355181#msg355181
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2011, 02:09:55 am »
In the post below I will add my scoring of each card. Please edit a single post to collect your scoring of the top 10 cards.

Rubric [You individually determine what standard/gradation merits a 0,1,2 or a 3 in each category. Please write down your gradations so that you are consistent.]
0-2 Originality
0-3 Balance
0-10 Total

0-2 Originality
   0= I have often seen the core idea before
   1= I have seen the core idea before it was suggested. (Older card suggestions will be judged based on what I had seen before them)
   2= I do not remember seeing the core idea before
0-3 Balance
   0= Demonstrably OP/UP
   1= OP/UP by at least 2 quanta
   2= OP/UP by +/- 1 quanta
   3= Balanced
   0= Only one pair of Name, Art and Mechanic fits
   1= One pair of Name, Art and Mechanic does not fit
   2= Name, Art and Mechanic fit
   0= Neither the author nor I see it enabling any new deck types
   1= Enables no new deck types but makes a current niche better
   2= Slightly new deck type enabled
   3= Drastic new deck type enabled
0-10 Total

1d10: 7
Refractor | Refractor (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27139)
1 Originality
[fairly obvious idea but rarely attempted]
2 Balance
[quanta fixation is offset by Increased Cost, Non pillar status, requiring quanta. However the upgraded probably should cost 0 instead since the improved quanta fixation is not much. Having the upgraded be a -1 Casting Cost version of the unupped would parallel Pillars/Towers.]
2 Theme (Elements chosen, Name, Genre)
[A simpler name would be better.]
1 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
[Quanta Fixation allows riskier quanta balance in decks but no new deck genres.]
6 Total
[6 is a good score. Immolation is 8 and its predecessor Nova was 9]
1d10: 6
Primal Quantum | Primal Quantum (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26935)
2 Originality
[Pillar Spawning is new]
1 Balance
[The unupped is potentially massively UP. The upgraded quickly recovers from the initial investment on the fourth turn. Probably much too quickly.]
1 Theme (Elements chosen, Name, Genre)
[Primal does not seem to fit with high tech terms like Graft or Differentiate]
2 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
[It would allow card heavy decks by producing more quanta per card than even a pillar. It does this by attempting to balance early quanta starvation for late quanta gorge.]
6 Total
1d10: 3
Element Pool | Element Font (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,25253)
1 Originality
[Quanta investment in not new but this initial investment with no payout until activation was.]
2 Balance
[The upgrade is too small. -2AC would be more in line with the attempted 2delayed quanta=1quanta standard this card assumes.]
[Not all elements act like liquids.]
2 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
[It would allow card heavy stall decks by having more quanta per generator. It does this by attempting to balance early quanta starvation for late quanta gorge.]
6 Total
1d10: 8
Jewel | Jewel (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27009)
1 Originality
[Turning creatures into pillars has been repeated.]
2 Balance
[The upgrade is too small. -2AC would be more in line with the attempted 2delayed quanta=1quanta standard this card assumes.]
[Jewels and Essences are universal motifs.]
1 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
[Quanta Fixation allows riskier quanta balance in decks but no new deck genres.]
6 Total
1d10: 1
(Element) Amulet | (Element) Talisman (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,14304)
2 Originality
[It was the first delayed but decaying generator. Half way between Pillars and Nova]
2 Balance
[The card is too slow or does not last long enough currently to compete with Nova or Pillars. But the framework is there.]
[Amulets and Talismans are universal motifs.]
[When balanced, it would support a new deck type base on a quick accumulation of quanta followed by a mass of cards. Trading speed for card and quanta advantage compared to Immolation.]
8 Total
[8 is a great score. Immolation is 8 and its predecessor Nova was 9]
1d10: 9
Magpie | Magpie (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27216)
1 Originality
[Discarding cards for quanta has been repeated.]
1 Balance
[The summoning sickness makes it not useful as an immediate quanta effect and long term it loses drastically against a pillar.]
[Well explained theme.]
0 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
[No new genres or improvements to old genres.]
4 Total
[5 is a poor score. Immolation is 8 and its predecessor Nova was 9]
You show promise as a designer. Take a look at my first few cards to see how much progress takes place.
1d10: 4
Invigor | Invigorate (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26918)
1 Originality
[Invoking quanta production from pillars has been repeated.]
2 Balance
[Looks like it is on the UP side.]
[Connection between name(impart vigor, strength, or vitality) and mechanic(gain quanta/energy) missing.]
[No new genres but improves Sky Blitz OTK decks slightly.]
5 Total
[5 is a poor score. Immolation is 8 and its predecessor Nova was 9]
1d10: 10
Gift of Thetis | Gift of Oceanus (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27336)
0 Originality
[Generating a static amount of quanta as a spell is often repeated.]
2 Balance
[Looks like it is on the UP side.]
[Gift is a bit of a cop out but all three pairs work.]
[This would support a 1-2 element quanta speed deck. Which differs from the Immoboes and Novabows]
6 Total
1d10: 2
Lotus | Lotus (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26904)
1 Originality
[I have seen this mechanic suggested once in this forum prior to Lotus.]
2 Balance
[Looks like it is on the OP side.]
[I know what thematic connection you are drawing between Lotus and quanta generation however you should explain it for the non mtg initiated.]
3 Support for new deck types (they will be asked what deck type it would support and we can judge based on that and our insights)
[This would support decks full of cheap cards that are played for free by paying for the next card.]
8 Total
[8 is a great score. Immolation is 8 and its predecessor Nova was 9]
1d10: 5
Quantum Locket | Quantum Locket (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,25665)
2 Originality
[First card with direct quanta fixation that I can remember.]
3 Balance
[quanta fixation is offset by Increased Cost, Non pillar status, requiring quanta.]
[Theme well explained.]
9 Total
[9 is a great score. Immolation is 8 and its predecessor Nova was 9]
8 (Element) Amulet | (Element) Talisman (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,14304)
8 Lotus | Lotus (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26904)
6 [Element] Pool | [Element] Font (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,25253)
5 Invigor | Invigorate (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26918)
9 Quantum Locket | Quantum Locket (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,25665)
6 Primal Quantum | Primal Quantum (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26935)
6 Refractor | Refractor (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27139)
8 Jewel | Jewel (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27009)
5 Magpie | Magpie (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27216)
6 Gift of Thetis | Gift of Oceanus (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27336)
9 Nova [To be used as a standard]

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
Re: Project: Quantum Generators https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25097.msg355387#msg355387
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2011, 03:48:23 pm »
0-2 Originality
0-3 Balance
0-10 Total
(Element) Amulet | (Element) Talisman (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,14304)

Originality: 1 - not really original but I didn't see consistent rush pillars before.
Balance: 2 - I don't think enhancing rushes is really good and this might be slightly OP due to speed increase, but seems overall balanced.
Theme: 2 - seems pretty consistent. Amulets and Talismans fit for devotion and magical energy gathering.
Support: 1 - Rushes are common enough as it is, and fine quanta-tuning for trios is going to be the less used part of the card.
TOTAL: 6
Overall a nice card, and I would like this in the game, but it hardly changes the meta.

Lotus | Lotus (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26904)

Originality: 2 - never seen this concept before
Balance: 1 - seems somewhat OP with some cards (e.g. Fractal, Novabows). Might need some higher cost.
Theme: 1 - MtG reference is not really thematic in my mind.
Support: 2 - some new dec types enabled, mostly enhancces what is already there.
Clean it up a bit and it's a wonderful idea. Still low on its ranks due to theme and balance, but definitely game-worthy.

Invigor | Invigorate (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26918)

Originality: 2 - never seen this concept before.
Balance: 3 - seems OK.
Theme: 0 - I really think this could be better off in some other Element; as it is, only the name seems fitting.
Support: 1 - It's not creating new decks on its own. Pillar and quanta heavy decks will benefit from this card, but that's about it.
Of all the cards, probably the less inspiring one. Sorry if I fail to see its strong points.

Quantum Locket | Quantum Locket (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,25665)

Originality: 1 - already seen something similar in other quanta production-changing mechanics, but overall new and good-looking.
Balance: 3 - seems pretty good.
Theme: 2 - nothing off here, IMO.
Support: 2 - while not a definite problem-solver, enhances trio and quartet decks.
TOTAL: 8
Awesome card, very well thought out. Not much room for improvement, but it doesn't really need any.

Primal Quantum | Primal Quantum (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,26935)

Originality: 2 - definitely new
Balance: 0 - I think it is definitely OP. I may be proven wrong, though.
Theme: 1 - Element fits. The rest... not as much.
Support: 3 - definitely adding new deck types here, phat decks and strangebows ahoy!
I don't know if such an idea can be balanced. If it can, then keep up the good work!

Refractor | Refractor (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27139)

Originality: 1 - good idea, but as Quantum Locket, already been here.
Balance: 2 - the upped is UP, but down the thread there are good suggestions for fixing it.
Theme: 1 - somewhat lacking... does not feel like a quanta producer overall.
Support: 2 - not a problem-solver, but helps trios and quartets a lot.
Another nice idea, but I like Quantum Locket more overall. They are both sound.

Jewel | Jewel (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27009)

Originality: 2 - new concept here.
Balance: 2 - not quite sure about the balance, would need some testing, but overall good. Might even be worth a 3.
Theme: 1 - why should a jewel produce a sacrifice effect? Also, why an other card, tied to your own Mark? Might be better off as a Tattoo or something.
Support: 1 - fills a niche, but I don't see it generating new deck types quanta wise - which was the point of the competition. :death sacrifice decks, now, that's more intresting.
Worthy of the game, not really cut out for this challenge. It's hardly a quantum producer, it's a sacrifice card for :death.

Magpie | Magpie (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,27216)

Originality: 2 - definitely new.
Balance: 0 - severely UP, I don't see this used ever in a competitive deck.
Theme: 0 - a Magpie steals shiny things. Why would it convert spells to energy is a mystery. Also, :air? And a creature too. Remains a mystery.
Support: 0 - again, I don't see this being used ever. I might be wrong, of course.
TOTAL: 2
Uhm... sorry if I don't see the point here, but I really do not see the point here. I may be terribly wrong about this card, and I hope I am, but unless somebody clarifies it to me, I keep my opinion. :(

blarg: