*Author

Offline waterzx

• Reputation Power: 11
  • waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490022#msg490022
« Reply #420 on: April 30, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »
Lots of questions for this card.

:darkness Moon Wizard | Moon Sorcerer
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,39406.0.html

1. Does my card resemble any old cards made ?

2. Is the cost too high or too low ?

3. Does the mechanics have potential ?

4. If it has potential, would you suggest any fine adjustment to it to make it more useful (or more balanced ) ?

5. Would it be a good idea to make a Wizard series based on this card and my previous Green Wizard card ? The theme would be some magic stuff, just like the healing magic of Green Wizard and psychic magic of this one.

Offline OldTreesTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490213#msg490213
« Reply #421 on: April 30, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »
Lots of questions for this card.

:darkness Moon Wizard | Moon Sorcerer
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,39406.0.html

1. Does my card resemble any old cards made ?

2. Is the cost too high or too low ?

3. Does the mechanics have potential ?

4. If it has potential, would you suggest any fine adjustment to it to make it more useful (or more balanced ) ?

5. Would it be a good idea to make a Wizard series based on this card and my previous Green Wizard card ? The theme would be some magic stuff, just like the healing magic of Green Wizard and psychic magic of this one.
1. Linking is a genre of mechanics. However I do not remember one similar to this.

2. Probably too high for 3 reasons.
The drawback is significant. The benefit is weaker than creating 2|4s [3-4] and stronger than Ablaze [1-2].

You probably want the card to enter play earlier than a 7 non fire casting cost would allow.

The high starting attack is not synergistic with the attack boost mechanic.

3. I think the drawback is probably too large for your mechanic. However the benefit has potential given a suitable drawback. Even certain drawbacks would have potential.

4. See [2]. I would suggest checking and then placing it in a cost/speed niche that differs from existing growing damage cards like Lava Golem, Steam Machine and Firefly Queen. Use charts / tables of damage / cost over time looking for thresholds like 100 or 200 hp.

5. Would testing more cards of this theme be a good idea? Yes.

Making it a thematic series (a series thread) would let each idea give free advertising for the other ideas. However they would also all be judged by the worst card included in the series.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490346#msg490346
« Reply #422 on: April 30, 2012, 11:52:14 pm »
Dark Prince is the only similar one I can think of.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490348#msg490348
« Reply #423 on: April 30, 2012, 11:55:21 pm »
Dark Prince is the only similar one I can think of.
Thanks.

Dark Prince is also a good example of an alternative drawback.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline waterzx

• Reputation Power: 11
  • waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490423#msg490423
« Reply #424 on: May 01, 2012, 01:29:11 am »
The drawback is significant. The benefit is weaker than creating 2|4s [3-4] and stronger than Ablaze [1-2].

You probably want the card to enter play earlier than a 7 non fire casting cost would allow.

4. See [2]. I would suggest checking and then placing it in a cost/speed niche that differs from existing growing damage cards like Lava Golem, Steam Machine and Firefly Queen. Use charts / tables of damage / cost over time looking for thresholds like 100 or 200 hp.
I can understand you saying that the attack boost is a bit too weak for the large drawback.

But you haven't mentioned the CC aspect of this card. If I lower the cost so it can enter play in turn 2 or 3, you could link with almost every enemy creature coming out later and wipe out all of them with a single bolt.

How should I evaluate the skill value when a skill has 2 different uses ?

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490452#msg490452
« Reply #425 on: May 01, 2012, 02:16:46 am »
In theory, how large do you feel the card pool should be before the majority of card-based 'flavor' features are added to the game, such as same-element cards with similar roles, card crafting, or alternate upgrades?

• Legendary Member
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490527#msg490527
« Reply #426 on: May 01, 2012, 05:44:04 am »

I can understand you saying that the attack boost is a bit too weak for the large drawback.

But you haven't mentioned the CC aspect of this card. If I lower the cost so it can enter play in turn 2 or 3, you could link with almost every enemy creature coming out later and wipe out all of them with a single bolt.

How should I evaluate the skill value when a skill has 2 different uses ?
I made a mistake and overlooked that use.

Here you have 2 effects that trade off being the benefit / drawback. The CC use gains benefit from the drawback to the buff use. Likewise it sees the attack buff as a drawback. In cases like these you want to make the relative benefit/drawback ratio equal for either use. I would probably suggest reducing the deadly effect to be more on par with the attack buff. This way both the CC and Buff usages would be of roughly equal value. Cards with multiple uses of equal value cost slightly (~0-1 quanta) more than cards with 1 use of the same value.

In theory, how large do you feel the card pool should be before the majority of card-based 'flavor' features are added to the game, such as same-element cards with similar roles, card crafting, or alternate upgrades?
Same-element cards with similar roles
I think Seraph was a little premature. However the certain elements are near that point where subtle differences between cards can be appreciated alongside large differences. This would be a process of glacial speed.

Card Crafting
The 2 forms of card crafting have little to do with the size of the card pool. The "make your own card" version requires Zanz to have a pinpoint accurate balance theory. The craft rare cards version is a version of rarity.

Alternative upgrades
Alternative upgrades add 1 upgraded card to the game without adding an unupped card to the game. It would be a rare circumstance indeed for the unupped card pool to be so much larger than the upgraded card pool to justify the inclusion of alternate upgrades.

Offline EmeraldTiger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • :life :aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490639#msg490639
« Reply #427 on: May 01, 2012, 01:02:18 pm »
Thoughts on this mechanic:

Free Range: (passive)
For airborne creatures the could move up to N number of spaces and if in top row said creatures may change sides.
On a non airborne creature the creature still moves but it can't change sides.

If this mechanic is usable i will attempt a few ideas using it.

Example: an Airborne creature that when it changes sides its attack is inverted.

I think this card needs your advice. http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,39486.0.html
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 10:40:42 pm by EmeraldTiger »
If Nowhere is Somewhere, and Somewhere is Over there, How can we be Anywhere?
:life :aether

• Legendary Member
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490880#msg490880
« Reply #428 on: May 01, 2012, 10:52:46 pm »
Thoughts on this mechanic:

Free Range: (passive)
For airborne creatures the could move up to N number of spaces and if in top row said creatures may change sides.
On a non airborne creature the creature still moves but it can't change sides.

If this mechanic is usable i will attempt a few ideas using it.

Example: an Airborne creature that when it changes sides its attack is inverted.
That is not a complete mechanic. How do they move?

The mechanic by itself provides little benefit. The card it comes with should provide a benefit.

I think this card needs your advice. http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,39486.0.html
I do not remember a card like this. It probably is original.

It fits the generic subtheme of Other well.

Pillar | Tower is worth 0quanta + 1card
A 1|1 is worth 0quanta + 1 card
Versatile cards cost more than less versatile cards
Forgotten Soldier | Forgotten Knight costs 1 :rainbow + 1 card
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:00:25 pm by OldTrees »

Offline furballdn

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Facetious trollnotmod
  • Awards: Epic 3 Card Winner - Clockwork GolemBest Recruiter of FriendsBest JournalistBest Chat PainterBattle - Slayer of The Great ChimeraBest Crafted Relic of Other
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490978#msg490978
« Reply #429 on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:38 am »
You keep mentioning "card cost", a factor I've never really considered. What is it and why is it so important?

• Legendary Member
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg490979#msg490979
« Reply #430 on: May 02, 2012, 01:04:24 am »
You keep mentioning "card cost", a factor I've never really considered. What is it and why is it so important?
All cards have to be drawn to be played (net 1 card cost)
Precognition draws a card replacing itself (net 0 card cost)
Photon costs 0 quanta yet gives a benefit. It happens to cost 1 draw (1 card cost)

Essentially card cost is an attempt to compare quanta costs and card advantage/disadvantage. It also explains why people would prefer a 12|3 for 10 over a 2|1 for 1 for their decks. The attack/quanta ratio of Ash Eater is greater than that of Crimson Dragon. However once the cost to draw the card is included the attack/cost ratio changes in Crimson Dragon's favor. This predictive and explanatory ability is why I discuss card costs.

Currently Shard of Integrity and I disagree about how much quanta a card is worth and how that scales as additional cards are included. If Shard of Integrity turns out to be balanced, then I will reevaluate my estimate. This is a real possibility. It might also be possible that card costs and quanta costs do not have an additive relationship. The interaction might be more complex.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 01:09:06 am by OldTrees »

Offline TheManuz

• Reputation Power: 18
  • TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeVictor of the 2nd Card Design WarMS Master Painter #5The First Prophet
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg491214#msg491214
« Reply #431 on: May 02, 2012, 11:02:29 am »
Can you give me some feedback on Time Anomaly | Time Disruption ?

I'm looking for balancing advice and what do you think of its metagame impact. Any additional thought is welcome too!

anything
blarg: