*Author

Hesitating https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35875.msg451552#msg451552
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »
As everyone is talking about the upped, I feel as though there would be no use for the unupped. Even Pandemonium can at least be combined with voodoo doll, and has a cost reduction.
What about making it so the one of the version increases the cost of abilities on your opponent's field?

Why time? It feels more like a dirty trick(courtesy of :darkness) to me.

But I really like the anti-rush, and for time's need of stalling also benefit from this.

Offline ZephyrPhantomTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Hesitance | Denial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35875.msg451574#msg451574
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:33:51 pm »
For those of you who are all wondering : Card is :time because my intended theme for the card was affecting the elemental's perception of time rather than their physical ability to play cards ( :darkness ) - by 'hesitating' the players' reaction times are slowed (cards cost more to play), while the upped let's you 'deny' an opponent to slow down the cards they play.

As everyone is talking about the upped, I feel as though there would be no use for the unupped. Even Pandemonium can at least be combined with voodoo doll, and has a cost reduction.
What about making it so the one of the version increases the cost of abilities on your opponent's field?
The unupped actually affects you as well to compensate for the potential lockdown capability.  Increasing ability cost would be much less useful IMHO because ability-reliant decks should still be able to compensate with enough quanta production unless it's a deck like SoR Steam Machines or it is solely reliant on mark.

Quote from: Oldtrees
However 2 out before any opposing pillars would be OP. That needs to be prevented or made very very rare.
Should be already rather rare - you need 4 Time Tower/Novae and two of these, which only leaves 1 card-room for error. To minimize this error you would need to fill your deck with 6 Novae and X Time towers as needed - that's at least 18 cards or greater than half a deck. As willng3 mentioned, many of the best-case scenarios with this card require luck and being able to gain advantage in the early-game - late game Denial is a scratch at best against stockpiled quantum.

Regarding balancing in general, I can always raise the cost by 1 to make the "lockdown hands" less likely (it seems comparable to Silence in terms of hand denial.) I'll put up a poll on it.

suxerz

Re: Hesitance | Denial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35875.msg451577#msg451577
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 07:34:32 pm »
Never thought I'll be saying this or even posting something on the CIA boards, but I think I'm beginning to like this card! :D

I'm also quite surprise that I never read any card ideas similar to this because the mechanic is really simple yet interesting. I don't have any input about the elements or the cost, but IMO the part where "cards with no cost gain +1 cost of their element" is too game-breaking. It can completely stop a typical nova-graboid deck right from the start and despite your claim about duo/mono decks, I'm pretty sure it can hurt those decks too especially the ones which rely on pendulum. Therefore, I would prefer if cards with no cost gain +1 :rainbow cost (any quanta) instead.

• Legendary Member
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Hesitance | Denial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35875.msg451579#msg451579
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:55 pm »
Eh, it's true that pendulums can be crippled easily seeing as your mark is likely to be off-element from them. I'll add a poll on that too. :)

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Hesitance | Denial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35875.msg451637#msg451637
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 10:07:14 pm »
Very similar card found here (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32133.0.html). The key difference is spell and permanent.
I'm fine with it working on 0 cost cards, but I think the effect should be reverted after 1 turn, so it acts more like Silence instead.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• Legendary Member
Re: Hesitance | Denial https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35875.msg452326#msg452326
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 05:41:45 pm »
Very similar card found here (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32133.0.html). The key difference is spell and permanent.
Yeah, that also results in a role difference - a spell like this is more comparable to Silence (chained, temporary denial that only works in the early game) while Encumber implies a more forced but less flexible lockdown.
I'm fine with it working on 0 cost cards, but I think the effect should be reverted after 1 turn, so it acts more like Silence instead.
Reworked the card according to polls and submitted to Crucible.

blarg: