*Author

Offline ZephyrPhantomTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Card Designer Challenges : Main Page https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277124#msg277124
« on: February 23, 2011, 05:05:40 pm »
The Card Designer Challenges Thread

Current Card Designer Challenge : None.

Welcome to the Main Card Designer Challenge Thread! This is a place to suggest card design competition ideas that may be used in our unofficial series of Card Designer Challenges.

Feedback is always appreciated along with suggestions for possible competition ideas.

You do not need images for a Challenge Series card, unless otherwise stated. This means that you can enter a competition with a great idea, and win without having any art!

The Ongoing Challenge
Submission thread here!

The Ongoing Challenge is a challenge that will run for a few months. This challenge is mainly a fun one that people can try to work on in their spare time and brush up on their card design skills.

Zodiac Cards - Try to make a card based on the current month on the Zodiac!

The current Zodiac creature is Gemini. Strive to make an  :aether Aether  :aether card!

Aries (The Ram):  :life   20 March – 20 April
Taurus (The Bull):  :earth 20 April – 21 May
Gemini (The Twins):  :aether 21 May – 21 June
Cancer (The Crab):  :darkness 21 June – 22 July
Leo (The Lion)  :fire 22 July – 23 August
Virgo (The Virgin):  :light 23 August – 23 September
Libra (The Scales):  :gravity 23 September – 23 October
Scorpio(The Scorpion):  :death 23 October – 22 November
Sagittarius ( Centaur The Archer):  :time 22 November – 22 December
Capricorn (The Sea-Goat):  :entropy 22 December – 20 January
Aquarius( The Water-Bearer:  :air 20 January – 18 February
Pisces (The Fishes):  :water 18 February – 20 March

Challenge Ideas
The Plot to End it All
We've had Elements RPG. We've had Elements poems. We've had Elements Fanfics. Now, how about making a story that's card based?
Rules:
-Using Gl1tch's Big Bad Plot Pack as an example, design an original story series of least 3 cards!
-Provide a small story that explains why these cards are related!

Blast from the Past : The Trials
I've seen a lot of old cards that involve the Trials from previous attempts. Let's go and revive them, shall we?
Rules:
-Revive and Remake 1-4 cards from the old Card Ideas for the Trials (You will most likely want to revive 2 cards since the point was to make a deck where these cards had synchronization with each other.)
-Credit the maker, and provide an example deck of how this card would work ingame!
(Check to make sure the card(s) you remake are not currently active in the Crucible,Forge or Armory.)

Re-Steal My Idea
Using the Steal My Idea thread, take 1-3 ideas from there and remake them.

W's a Double U
Make a duo card that prompts strong synergy and is intended to be a multielement card similar to the Duality series () and Timerclock's Duo element series.  Here's the catch though - cards in Elements can only be categorized under 1 element. Can you pull it off?

Uno, Deux, Trio!
Inspired by Emeraldtiger's Alliance Pendant.
Trio cards are often a very difficult to make - we only have 1 trio card, Firefly Queen in the whole ETG! Let's bring in some more colors!
-Design a card that supports a trio and is mechanically well balanced. Stuck? Try looking at Firefly Queen or Alliance Pendant.

Completed Competitions
Duality's Legacy

Passive Abilities (Ended!)

Your Own Rare? (Ended!)
The concept of a "Rare" card idea is... quite rare these in the standard CI&A forum. Well, let's change that!
Rules:
-Design 1-3 Rare cards that you feel that would be good in Elements!
-What is your definition of a Rare? Define it in your cards!
-State why you believe this card is worth being rare (I.E. It would be used in many decks, it's powerful, etc...)

The Epic ET Card Design Competition (Ended!)
3 pictures, 3 cards. Let us revive this ancient practice with a more recent source.
-Using 3 unused images from Emeraldtiger's art thread, create 3 awesomesauce cards!

It All Floods Over (Ended!)
Right, so we know Flooding needs a buff.  However, why buff directly when you can add cards that synchronize well with Flooding?
Rules:
-Design 1-3 cards that would work well with Flooding (remember that you'd don't neccessarily have to state the card(s) works with flooding, e.g. you can say the effect requires the creature to be underwater or triggers something every time quanta is absorbed)
-Explain why this card syncs well with Flooding, and make an example deck of how this would work
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:59:47 pm by Zblader »

kitty45

Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277128#msg277128
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 05:11:26 pm »
nice :) :).Can't wait to see what people come up with!

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277481#msg277481
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 05:13:04 am »
Interesting idea for a thread. I might have challenges to suggest in the future.
For now I would like to add a bonus point to the flooding challenge:

See if you can achieve the following two extra challenges for the flooding buff competition.
Your card is optimal with or without flooding. [Fairly easy to accomplish. I would personally treat this as a minimum to enter but you may be brave enough to try without meeting this challenge.]
Flooding is optimal with or without your card. [If you accomplish this without creating an OP card or changing flooding then you have achieved a great challenge. I personally would choose a card that beat this over all others in an instant. This is the mark of a great card designer. I probably would not be up to the task.]

Actually even understanding the second challenge of mine is worth recognition. +1 karma to the first person that PMs me an explanation of what would be needed to fulfill the second challenge. I will strike out this karma notice when I receive the winning PM.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline Ekki

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Ekki is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Not-so-young Elemental
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277512#msg277512
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 06:03:02 am »
Interesting idea for a thread. I might have challenges to suggest in the future.
For now I would like to add a bonus point to the flooding challenge:

See if you can achieve the following two extra challenges for the flooding buff competition.
Your card is optimal with or without flooding. [Fairly easy to accomplish. I would personally treat this as a minimum to enter but you may be brave enough to try without meeting this challenge.]
Flooding is optimal with or without your card. [If you accomplish this without creating an OP card or changing flooding then you have achieved a great challenge. I personally would choose a card that beat this over all others in an instant. This is the mark of a great card designer. I probably would not be up to the task.]

Actually even understanding the second challenge of mine is worth recognition. +1 karma to the first person that PMs me an explanation of what would be needed to fulfill the second challenge. I will strike out this karma notice when I receive the winning PM.
Lol, I didn't understand what you mean with the card/flooding being optimal with or without the other one. I guess you mean something about both cards being independantly useful but still buffed. Whatever...

I like this ideas, specially the one that encourages "indirect buffs", by creating strong synergies.
But it's The time to make the first one. Zanz is looking forward to adding Rares to the game, so we should encourage Rare cards submissions.

• Legendary Member
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277760#msg277760
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 05:15:58 pm »
I like this ideas, specially the one that encourages "indirect buffs", by creating strong synergies.
But it's The time to make the first one. Zanz is looking forward to adding Rares to the game, so we should encourage Rare cards submissions.
Agreed. Challenge 1 : "Your Own Rare?" begins shortly now.

Offline Hyroen

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • like. follow. tweet.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWar #10 Winner - Team AirSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSkill of the Elemental : Mark of ProtectionWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277782#msg277782
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:04:32 pm »
WAR X - TEAM :air AIR

[EtG Council]   |   [Card Ideas & Art]   |   [Guilds]

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277842#msg277842
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 07:20:35 pm »
Agreed. Challenge 1 : "Your Own Rare?" begins shortly.
My submission. Enjoy. (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,21688.msg296661#msg296661)
Don't forget to give an explanation about:
What makes a good rare?
How does this card fulfill those requirements?
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline EmeraldTiger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • :life :aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277846#msg277846
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 07:29:23 pm »
Rare could just mean availability, but what else does it mean?
If Nowhere is Somewhere, and Somewhere is Over there, How can we be Anywhere?
:life :aether

Offline Hyroen

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • like. follow. tweet.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWar #10 Winner - Team AirSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSkill of the Elemental : Mark of ProtectionWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg277896#msg277896
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:03 pm »
Don't forget to give an explanation about:
What makes a good rare?
How does this card fulfill those requirements?
Taken care of for Sylph.
WAR X - TEAM :air AIR

[EtG Council]   |   [Card Ideas & Art]   |   [Guilds]

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg278024#msg278024
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 12:00:46 am »
How often and how long will each of these challenges be?
In other words i start planning now or not?
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• Legendary Member
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg278047#msg278047
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 12:40:07 am »
How often and how long will each of these challenges be?
In other words i start planning now or not?
I'm going to say each challenge normally lasts about 2 weeks, 1 week for intial submissions and then 1 week for votes/late submissions. ("The Plot to End it All" Will probably last slightly longer due to more cards being designed.)

If you want to plan now go ahead, but keep in mind that the unreleased challenges may still need refining.

• Legendary Member
Re: Challenges for Card Designers https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=21649.msg289263#msg289263
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 02:38:37 am »
CDC : Your Own Rare has ended. I will most likely be starting the following competition next:

It All Floods Over
Right, so we know Flooding needs a buff (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,21658.0.html).  However, why buff directly when you can add cards that synchronize well with Flooding?
Rules:
-Design 1-3 cards that would work well with Flooding (remember that you'd don't neccessarily have to state the card(s) works with flooding, e.g. you can say the effect requires the creature to be underwater or triggers something every time quanta is absorbed)
-Explain why this card syncs well with Flooding, and make an example deck of how this would work.
I would like suggestions for possible Challenge Ideas, as well as opinions on the current challenges already present on this thread.

anything
blarg: