*Author

wizelsnarf

Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239874#msg239874
« on: January 03, 2011, 11:58:11 pm »
NAME:
Vines
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
2 :life
TYPE:
Spell
TEXT:
Cover target permanent in vines. Vines block activated abilities until destroyed.
NAME:
Vines
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
1 :life
TYPE:
Spell
TEXT:
Cover target permanent in vines. Vines block activated abilities until destroyed.
ART:
Wizelsnarf
IDEA:
Wizelsnarf
NOTES:
I apologize for my crappy art. I tried for like 2 hours to make it better but gave up. It can be a place holder for now.

I have had this idea in the back of my head for months. The card is a lot subtler than it may seem. I wanted to give life some kind of soft PC and I think this does a perfect job.

Basically when played the target permanent is covered in a graphic of vines. If it has an activated ability, such as pulverizer, that ability is no longer usable until vines are destroyed.

Updated specifics:

-Explosion - destroys vines
-Steal - after stealing vines you are immediately allowed to target another permanent with vines. If you cancel, you lose the chance to place the vines.
-Earthquake - Destroys vines only
-Nymph's Tears - May not be played on pillars/pends with vines

The subtle part is that this is soft PC but also soft PC protection. I can use this to give any permanent an "extra life" so to speak. If I play it on my shield, my opponent now has to destroy the vines BEFORE they can destroy my shield.

If I decide I don't need to protect my shield, I can play vines on to a weapon with an ability. I would still take damage from that weapon but the opponent would not be able to use the activated part. For example Eagles Eye would not be able to target any creatures.

List of Permanents that are activated:

-Catapult
-Pulverizer
-Trident
-Hourglass
-Sundial
-Mindgate

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239881#msg239881
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:05 am »
I like this and this the added cost is balanced against the added versatility.
Since steal costs more than explosion, I would suggest that stealing the vines adds a vines card to the hand of the thief if there is room.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239884#msg239884
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 12:04:04 am »
I apologize for my crappy art. I tried for like 2 hours to make it better but gave up. It can be a place holder for now.
Crappy art? I think you underestimate yourself. That looks really good to me :)

Great concept. Soft PC is something I think this game needs some of and it gives life a bit more control. Also the fact it can be for both defense and offense is awesome. Gets my vote :)

As for steal I think it should go to the slot with the same number when stolen. If there is no permanent in that slot it is destroyed instead.
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

wizelsnarf

Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239893#msg239893
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 12:19:32 am »
I actually thought of that same thing OldTrees. I think it would be cool. No matter what their hand would have an empty slot because they just played steal.

My only issue is that it is kind of weird to steal a spell based on current thematic thinking. But this is more like a magical item than a strict spell.

Anybody else have thoughts about how steal would work?

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239905#msg239905
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 12:30:50 am »
This could be a status effect like "Vined" or "Entangled" for permanents.   If an "Entangled" permanent is stolen, Vines goes back to your hand. I know this was already said, I'm just thinking of a way to code it.

Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239911#msg239911
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:36:28 am »
One issue: couldn't using Vines on your pillar/pendulum stack make it immune to EQ? (assuming your opponent only has EQs and no Deflags) Or would pillars and pendulums be off-limits?

That said, I DO love the idea of being able to stop the mono-:aether AI3 from Mindgating my entire USEM deck, or protecting my Longswords from being stolen and given the AI3 an undeserved buff.

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg239916#msg239916
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 12:45:56 am »
One issue: couldn't using Vines on your pillar/pendulum stack make it immune to EQ? (assuming your opponent only has EQs and no Deflags) Or would pillars and pendulums be off-limits?

That said, I DO love the idea of being able to stop the mono-:aether AI3 from Mindgating my entire USEM deck, or protecting my Longswords from being stolen and given the AI3 an undeserved buff.
Earthquake would probably remove the vines.
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg240022#msg240022
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 02:45:24 am »
maybe steal just shouldn't work, as the vines would "root it to the spot". or, steal can work, say you steal their empathetic bond with vines on it, but now all you've done is take up a permanent spot on your side of the field. there isn't much to protect against steal right now. (i used to spam it so much) maybe this should be a steal preventor.
anyway, it's a great idea. i like it :D
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

joebob777

Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg240052#msg240052
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 03:10:31 am »
i would say go to the thiefs hand, but then only a rainbow with steal would be able to play it, so it like sabatoging oneself, giving it back to owner not nescessarily stealng, only thing i can think of reasonable for stealing is that thief gets to pick a new permanent for it to be on, not sure how that would be coded though

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg240068#msg240068
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 03:24:07 am »

Steal costs more than Deflagration.
Steal should have a greater effect than Deflagration.
Deflagration removes vines.
Steal should do more than remove vines.
I think the added card to the hand is potentially sufficient without being too much (free recasting).

Free recasting has the problem of self sabotage if the "mark" has only 1 permanent/stack.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Sodomir

Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg240072#msg240072
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2011, 03:31:05 am »
Free recasting has the problem of self sabotage if the "mark" has only 1 permanent/stack.
This shouldn't be a problem normally you can cancel an affect when you have to targeted a card. After steal the card is on your site, you cancel the affect and the card robs you a permanent place :D

wizelsnarf

Re: Vines | Vines https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=18812.msg240125#msg240125
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2011, 05:38:01 am »
So it sounds like people want steal to give you a free (no quanta) to play vines that you can target on any permanent you want...

That seems reasonable (though perhaps hard to code?).

anything
blarg: