*Author

Offline darkrobeTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 12
  • darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
Starfish | Sea Star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420265#msg420265
« on: November 04, 2011, 05:21:03 am »
NAME:
Starfish
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
:water
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
2|2
TEXT:
:death: Split
Starfish is divided in two. New starfish will gain +1|+1 per turn till they reach 2|2
NAME:
Sea Star
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
:water
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
3|3
TEXT:
:death: Split
Sea Star is divided in two. New Sea Stars will gain +1|+1 per turn till they reach 3|3
ART:
Darkrobe. although better art suggestions would be appreciated
IDEA:
Darkrobe
NOTES:
So this is inspired by my thoughts about animals that can regrow appendages. I thought wouldnt it be cool if we had something like seastars in the game that could be cut in half and then regrow. That was the inspiration for this card.

some notes:
the stats of the "split in half" stars are half the stats of the original star (duh) rounded down. so if you split a 3|3 star in half. you get 2 1|1 stars. Split stars do not lose the split skill. However, if you split a 1|1 star it will die for real.

So in game play. say you play the upped sea star. you then split it. you can have 2 1|1 stars. you let them heal. next turn you split those. you have 4 1|1 stars. if you wait you can split those again and have 8 1|1 stars, or you can leave them alone and have 4 3|3 stars after a few turns.

The +1|+1 per turn only lasts until you reach the summoning health and attack. you wont get a 5|5 star from the regeneration.
SERIES:
Water synergies revisited (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,35041.0.html)

Offline Naesala

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420269#msg420269
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 05:37:23 am »
So it's a variation of Deja vu? The healing factor is nice but the initial stat reduction makes them even more vulnerable do creature control.
Your favorite Hotyugh

• darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420272#msg420272
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 05:49:15 am »
something like that. im thinking that when you split them it might be like "killing" the original star. so it might trigger death effects. add to the synergy between water and death.

Brontos

Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420274#msg420274
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 06:08:25 am »
I like it. :)
It's a bit too costy as it doesn't keep buffs on it like Déjà-vu does.

Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420277#msg420277
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 06:14:35 am »
ah, but as it is, it doesnt lose its skill either. so you dont keep buffs but you can generate multiple creatures. course, the faster you generate, the weaker they will all be. so its sort of balanced in that way.

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420283#msg420283
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:40:50 am »
I think it's a cool card, and it seems reasonably balanced.  I am curious why you used death for the activation cost, though.  I would have thought life would be more fitting, since the starfish is reproducing.  There's already a water/life duo card in forest spirit, but then, there's already one in chrysaora for water/death, too.  I'd like to be able to suggest a fitting element for this card that hasn't already been paired with water (like say entropy or darkness) but life seems to be the best fit in my opinion for this.

This card might be really fun with fractal and shard of patience :)

Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420284#msg420284
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 06:46:57 am »
I think it's a cool card, and it seems reasonably balanced.  I am curious why you used death for the activation cost, though.  I would have thought life would be more fitting, since the starfish is reproducing.  There's already a water/life duo card in forest spirit, but then, there's already one in chrysaora for water/death, too.  I'd like to be able to suggest a fitting element for this card that hasn't already been paired with water (like say entropy or darkness) but life seems to be the best fit in my opinion for this.

This card might be really fun with fractal and shard of patience :)
haha. its true. i could see it argued either way. I chose death because in my initial thoughts I was trying to kill the star by ripping it in half, the starfish just tends to ignore my puny attempts to kill it that way. but i do see how this could be life. its a matter of perspective i suppose.

Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420382#msg420382
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 02:18:09 pm »
also, although you do have a point that water has a death synergy already. the synergy is specifically poison related. its not one that extends to the other aspects of death like bonewalls, graveyards and condors. I think the way this card is it would greatly change the kind of water death decks people could make. I also think it would be good for trios. like you mentioned, it could be fun with fractals, but because it has a strange sort of mitosis, it could also synergize with feral bond. I could easily see the creation of life death water trios with this card, since you could probably power the ability with a mark.

Offline TheManuz

• Reputation Power: 18
  • TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeVictor of the 2nd Card Design WarMS Master Painter #5The First Prophet
Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420466#msg420466
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 05:42:35 pm »
I think that :death fits. Maybe :entropy could fit also, since it deals with spreading things away, somehow.

On the card: the unupped costs too much, imho. Make it costs 2 :water, it's balanced by its low stats anyway.
Upped seems fine to me.

EDIT: on the technical side, i suppose those starfishes would be implementes considering current stats and maximum stats.
So, when you split a 4|4 you get two 2|2 that have 4|4 as maximum stats. Basically, this creatures regenerate 1 ATK and 1 HP per turn.
This also means that if (for example) a starfish attacks a fireshield, it would takes 1 damage and regenerate it the next turn.

I don't know if there are other way to implement this, but i think it's fitting, since the ability to divide comes from a great regeneration ability.

Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420489#msg420489
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 06:27:19 pm »
I think that :death fits. Maybe :entropy could fit also, since it deals with spreading things away, somehow.

On the card: the unupped costs too much, imho. Make it costs 2 :water, it's balanced by its low stats anyway.
Upped seems fine to me.

EDIT: on the technical side, i suppose those starfishes would be implementes considering current stats and maximum stats.
So, when you split a 4|4 you get two 2|2 that have 4|4 as maximum stats. Basically, this creatures regenerate 1 ATK and 1 HP per turn.
This also means that if (for example) a starfish attacks a fireshield, it would takes 1 damage and regenerate it the next turn.

I don't know if there are other way to implement this, but i think it's fitting, since the ability to divide comes from a great regeneration ability.
on your technical notes. I thought so too. I considered a couple options for how it would work. but thought this was the best approach. It means that both the unupped and upped are best dealt with with instant kill CC rather than something like poison. Also, because this regeneration ability only occurs when the star is below 4 health, if faced with something like a fire shield, the healing would start at 3hp  giving you 4 hp and then the -1, so the star would be continuously stuck at 3 hp.

I was trying to balance damage ability with survivability.

Edit: i considered having the health and damage regen occur randomly, this might have made for more synergy with  :entropy. but i thought it might get to complicated that way. so i went with the more straightforward option.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420514#msg420514
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,33313.0.html (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,33313.0.html)

Could you let me know your thoughts about the quanta cost balance of Starfish | Sea Star. are they priced right?
Adjusted Cost = Total Quanta Cost + Types of Quanta

Starfish
Turn1234567
Number1248162323
Total Attack22481618+14=3246
Total Damage248163264110
Adjusted Cost57913212828
Sea Star
Turn123456
Number124888
Total Attack448163248
Total Damage48163264112
Adjusted Cost579131313
Starfish achieves 110|112 damage on turn 7|6 for an adjusted cost of 28|13. [exponential swarm of creatures, swarm regenerates attack and hp]
Firefly Queen achieves 108|95 damage on turn 8|7 for an adjusted cost of 23|21. [linear swarm of creatures, swarm generates quanta]
Lava Golem achieves 96|91 damage on turn 8|7 for an adjusted cost of 14|13. [single creature, low hp, hp grows with attack]
Steam Machine achieves 90|90 damage on turn 7|7 for an adjusted cost of 18|18. [single creature, has lots of hp]

Unupped appears relatively balanced. The upgraded should have a high win condition cost, a slower win condition or both.
A turn 6/7 win condition with Sea Stars traits would be balanced around a ~25/20 adjusted cost.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline The_Mormegil

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.The_Mormegil is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Intelligence is overrated.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherTeam PvP WinnerNew Slot Winner - FamiliarDeadly Sin Winner - GluttonyFirst Budosei of BudokanWinner of Revive the Archive
Re: Starfish | Sea star https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33313.msg420529#msg420529
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 07:19:34 pm »
Maybe +:death for the upped activation cost?
[18:21:43] jmdt: elements is just math over top of a GUI
Kakerlake: I believe that there is no God as in something that can think by itself and does stuff that sounds way OP.

blarg: