*Author

guolin

Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121013#msg121013
« on: July 22, 2010, 04:18:34 pm »
NAME:
Ice Giant
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
5 :water
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
6|6
ABILITY:
Ice Giant enters play frozen. The enemy's weapon might be frozen while this creature is in play as a mortal.
NAME:
Blizzard Giant
ELEMENT:
Water
COST:
5 :water
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
9|3
ABILITY:
Blizzard Giant enters play congealed. The enemy's weapon is frozen while this creature is in play as a mortal.
ART:
http://juro.egloos.com/1236142
IDEA:
Guolin
NOTES:
Here's how Ice Giant works:

At the end of your turn, if the enemy's weapon is unfrozen, there is a 50% it will be frozen. For Blizzard Giant, the enemy's weapon is frozen constantly.

Mortal means not Immortal as a result of Quintessence.
SERIES:
Water, the Element of Control (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,10137.0.html)

Glaviga

Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121568#msg121568
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 01:47:24 am »
I believe the art is from Magic the Gathering, did you get permission?
http://www.cardkingdom.com/catalog/item/118462

Offline TheOwner

• Reputation Power: 10
  • TheOwner is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.TheOwner is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121571#msg121571
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 01:50:09 am »
The unupped is better than the upped.... Since they're congealed they should have decent health

Offline jmizzle7

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSS Competition #1 1stCard Design Competition Winner
Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121607#msg121607
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 02:35:03 am »
Use different art that hasn't been licensed by an existing CCG. Better yet, have one of our very own graphic artists make some art for you :)

guolin

Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121680#msg121680
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 03:27:01 am »
Huh, it looks like it's from a Dungeon & Dragons (D&D) with no copyright on it. :/ I'm currently waiting on art from craaawzy, so I'm using these images I searched for until then.

The unupped is better than the upped.... Since they're congealed they should have decent health
Blizzard Giant is a creature the enemy must get rid of the moment he is played if the enemy wants to use his weapon. :P The lower health helps with that. Barring congealed, it has a very nice attack/cost - I guess Quintessence + this would even be overpowered. Maybe its weapon freeze doesn't work if he's Immortal? That could turn him into a specialized heavy hitter.

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121770#msg121770
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:04:59 am »
You may want to fix the differences between the card art and the table description for the ability:

"Ice Giant enters play frozen. The enemy's weapon has a chance to be frozen while this creature is in play." - you forgot 'creature'.

"Blizzard Giant enters play frozen. The enemy's weapon has a chance to be frozen while this is in play." - isn't correct. The highlighted parts in the statement need to match the card image.

Also, do not put :water next to the 'Element' table box in your card image. Type out the word 'Water' instead to allow new players to immediately recognize that the :water symbol is equivalent to the Water element.

With that said, I like this idea - it makes it SUPER vulnerable to Shockwave, a CC that I don't see as frequently as I thought (it's pretty powerful for 4 damage). Also, add into the fact that it can't do damage as long as it's frozen/congealed, it gives the opponent just enough time to possibly remove the creature out of the field through other ways (if they have spells or other creatures), unless you top it off with a Quintessence... in which case, any person that relies on their weapon (anti-deckout with eternity, or pulvy blow-outs) would be destroyed by that card combo alone.

I suppose you might have to give out a second thought about how to balance this around immortality, because locking a person out of their weapon slot completely (without spamming explosions and steals) is a bit ridiculous...

guolin

Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121980#msg121980
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 03:11:46 pm »
You may want to fix the differences between the card art and the table description for the ability:

"Ice Giant enters play frozen. The enemy's weapon has a chance to be frozen while this creature is in play." - you forgot 'creature'.

"Blizzard Giant enters play frozen. The enemy's weapon has a chance to be frozen while this is in play." - isn't correct. The highlighted parts in the statement need to match the card image.

Also, do not put :water next to the 'Element' table box in your card image. Type out the word 'Water' instead to allow new players to immediately recognize that the :water symbol is equivalent to the Water element.

With that said, I like this idea - it makes it SUPER vulnerable to Shockwave, a CC that I don't see as frequently as I thought (it's pretty powerful for 4 damage). Also, add into the fact that it can't do damage as long as it's frozen/congealed, it gives the opponent just enough time to possibly remove the creature out of the field through other ways (if they have spells or other creatures), unless you top it off with a Quintessence... in which case, any person that relies on their weapon (anti-deckout with eternity, or pulvy blow-outs) would be destroyed by that card combo alone.

I suppose you might have to give out a second thought about how to balance this around immortality, because locking a person out of their weapon slot completely (without spamming explosions and steals) is a bit ridiculous...
Thanks for pointing that out! Sleep deprivation can do things to you, I tell you.

Yeah, I think I'm going to add "mortal" at the end of the statement, to make it "...while this creature is in play mortal," so that the ability doesn't activate if you put Quint on him. (you can still use him as a damage dealer - if you want to pay 5 :water and 4 :aether for 9 damage. :))) Is that a good idea?

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121988#msg121988
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 03:32:51 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out! Sleep deprivation can do things to you, I tell you.

Yeah, I think I'm going to add "mortal" at the end of the statement, to make it "...while this creature is in play mortal," so that the ability doesn't activate if you put Quint on him. (you can still use him as a damage dealer - if you want to pay 5 :water and 4 :aether for 9 damage. :))) Is that a good idea?
I hear you on the sleep deprivation. ;)

As for the mortal part, I believe that would work, but I'm trying to think if there's a different way to word it - "...while this creature is in play mortal." sounds somewhat confusing, but if you can fit it onto the card, feel free to do so. Otherwise, I'd say that this creature could be an interesting addition now that Voodoo (Doll) will be implemented (freezing the Voodoo doll freezes the opponent's weapon, hilariously enough). The trade for 'soft weapon' control (disabling weapon skills rather than outright destroying it) for a decent heavy hitter is a smart idea.

Remember to compare the costs of the cards themselves as well before you make any other edits. The non-upgraded form is equivalent to an upgraded Abyss Crawler (6|6 damage, but costing 1 more :water); I'm guessing the ability justifies the additional +1 quanta cost, right?

Offline jmizzle7

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 34
  • jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.jmizzle7 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • I'm kind of a big deal. People know me.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSS Competition #1 1stCard Design Competition Winner
Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121991#msg121991
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 03:38:14 pm »
I think you misunderstand copyright. That image is by Glen Angus, a professional artist who has done work for AD&D and M:tG, among other things. He owns the rights to his images, and M:tG is licensed to distribute copies. You are not licensed to distribute his work, and the Elements Forums have a strict policy of only using royalty-free, public domain images.

guolin

Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg121998#msg121998
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 03:45:30 pm »

I hear you on the sleep deprivation. ;)

As for the mortal part, I believe that would work, but I'm trying to think if there's a different way to word it - "...while this creature is in play mortal." sounds somewhat confusing, but if you can fit it onto the card, feel free to do so. Otherwise, I'd say that this creature could be an interesting addition now that Voodoo (Doll) will be implemented (freezing the Voodoo doll freezes the opponent's weapon, hilariously enough). The trade for 'soft weapon' control (disabling weapon skills rather than outright destroying it) for a decent heavy hitter is a smart idea.

Remember to compare the costs of the cards themselves as well before you make any other edits. The non-upgraded form is equivalent to an upgraded Abyss Crawler (6|6 damage, but costing 1 more :water); I'm guessing the ability justifies the additional +1 quanta cost, right?
Yeah, it does sound a bit confusing, but card space is limited. xD

Yes, I figured Water needed a decent hitter (that still works unupped. *stares at Pufferfish*) and some control in the process (see Series). Voodoo Doll's weapon freeze was exactly what gave me the idea for this guy's ability. As for stats, I compared it to the Blue/Abyss Crawler and the Ice/Artic Dragon, the two heavy hitters of Water. At first, I wanted to make the Ice Giant have a much higher attack because of the freeze, but then I finally decided that the weapon freeze warranted 6 attack. (Abyss Crawler is obviously a much better hitter because of the freeze and cost)

@jmizzle: Eh, there was no crediting to Glen Angus in the wiki. I'll find a new image though while I edit this card.

guolin

Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg122009#msg122009
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 03:53:34 pm »
Before I crop it, is this one alright?

Found here: http://juro.egloos.com/1236142

Looks like Korean D&D this time.

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
Re: Ice Giant | Blizzard Giant https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10045.msg122013#msg122013
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 04:05:38 pm »
Before I crop it, is this one alright?

Found here: http://juro.egloos.com/1236142

Looks like Korean D&D this time.
Unfortunately, I'm not well-versed in these type of copyright laws. Whether or not you cite the company art (who's apparently Korean), you need to ensure that it can be used in the public domain freely without having a license to 'distribute' (i.e. - use) the art for other purposes than the game it was originally assigned to.

I believe the curator or Jmizzle will have an answer for your picture shortly.

Yeah, it does sound a bit confusing, but card space is limited. xD

Yes, I figured Water needed a decent hitter (that still works unupped. *stares at Pufferfish*) and some control in the process (see Series). Voodoo Doll's weapon freeze was exactly what gave me the idea for this guy's ability. As for stats, I compared it to the Blue/Abyss Crawler and the Ice/Artic Dragon, the two heavy hitters of Water. At first, I wanted to make the Ice Giant have a much higher attack because of the freeze, but then I finally decided that the weapon freeze warranted 6 attack. (Abyss Crawler is obviously a much better hitter because of the freeze and cost)
Don't get flustered at Pufferfish. He was too damn strong anyway. >_<

That aside, you made some good points on the cost of the card (and a smart move to keep the attack for non-upgraded form as is rather than pumping it up further because of its freeze ability). You did however, forgot to mention the 'endless' potential of a Steam machine's attack-heavy hitting power, even though it requires the opposite element to work right.

Oh, and I know how card space limits everyone. However, do you think that you can shorten it (and thus free up some space) by removing the 'Ice Giant/Blizzard Giant' part from the description? If you think about it, 'Enters play frozen/congealed' is pretty simple to figure out on its own. ;)

blarg: