*Author

Offline dragonsdemesneTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444271#msg444271
« on: January 02, 2012, 12:25:22 am »
I don't know if this sort of thing interests anyone, but my brain is geared towards numbers and logic, and I've got a strong mathematics background.  So, if anyone has any questions about the odds for various things to happen in elements, just ask and I'll try to figure it out, and explain the answer if it's simple enough to do so on a forum; otherwise I'll just state the answer, like 54.32% or whatever.

• Legendary Member
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444272#msg444272
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 12:25:40 am »
reserved because I'm special

• Legendary Member
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444273#msg444273
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:25:53 am »
Two extremely simple examples:
-If you have ten cards left in your deck and one of them is eternity, what are the odds you'll draw Eternity next turn?
Answer = (1/10 = 0.1 = 10%)

-If you play a quantum tower, what are the odds that it gives you 3 water quanta?
Answer = (1/12 * 1/12 * 1/12 = 1/1728 = 0.00058 = 0.058%)

A more complex example:
-If you have 13 pillars in a 30 card deck, what are the odds that you will draw at least three of them in your opening hand of seven cards?
Answer = This one's a little more work to figure out... but it turns out to be 67.4%.  (The answer involves a cumulative hygeometric probability...  :o )

Offline pikachufan2164

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 40
  • pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.pikachufan2164 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Phase in, phase out.
  • Awards: Rouser of Willng3 RecruitsWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #5 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeTeam PvP #4 WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake 	2nd Trivia Winner
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444277#msg444277
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:59:05 am »
Some basic resources:

MatrimBot (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,30826.0.html)
Hypergeometric Distribution Calculator (http://stattrek.com/tables/hypergeometric.aspx)

Slightly relevant: I'm terrible with hardcore math, yet my program (both before and after switching majors) keeps requiring me to take more Math and Stats courses DDD:
I'm doing science, and I'm still alive.

Level 2 Magic Judge.

• Legendary Member
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444286#msg444286
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 01:11:56 am »
Well, that's a handy tool :p  That should answer about 99% of the community's questions on the matter right there.

Toge111

Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444298#msg444298
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:53:10 am »
Is it possible to form correlation between variable in nominal scale (e.g. win / loss) and variable in interval scale (e.g. number of cards played)? If so, how?

• Legendary Member
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444319#msg444319
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 03:33:38 am »
Well, assuming I've understood the question, you could change the nominal variable of a win or a loss into a number, like 1 for a win or 0 for a loss.  (like turning it into a boolean variable or something)  I'm not really sure what possible meaning or information would come from doing that, though, and I'm not 100% sure I've even answered the question correctly.

Offline teffy

• Reputation Power: 20
  • teffy is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.teffy is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.teffy is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.teffy is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • May the oracle be with you
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444844#msg444844
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 05:33:49 pm »
but it turns out to be 67.4%. 
with 7 cards and without mulligan.

[...]and I've got a strong mathematics background.[...]

What is your strong mathematical background ?

One of the most useful tools for card chances is this (http://www.implair.com/deckulator/deckulator.html) ( got the link from this (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,15021.msg204507#msg204507) forum thread months ago)
I`m teffy, here - and Ringat on Kongregate

Offline Dm

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 56
  • Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Dm is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Elementary Statistics (ask a statistics question, get an answer) https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35270.msg444850#msg444850
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:47:43 pm »
Considering a total number of cards (6 per deck except for pillars) and the minimum number of cards you can have in a deck (30), if you had 30 pillars of each element, 30 pendulums and 6 of every other card (upgraded and un-upgraded) how many 30-card decks would it be possible to build? (Take in account that you do not necessarily have to use 6 of each card in every deck, and that the decks do not need to work.)

Troll face. But no, seriously. I want to know that number. :/

anything
blarg: