*Author

Offline waterzx

• Reputation Power: 11
  • waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg475002#msg475002
« Reply #384 on: March 28, 2012, 04:20:46 am »
 :death Unholy Curse | Deadly Curse
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,37807.0.html

I think this card brings a lot more variety to death-effect-based decks. Do you agree ? And, will the upgraded version overshadow the current boneyard ?

Offline OldTreesTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg475015#msg475015
« Reply #385 on: March 28, 2012, 04:54:59 am »
:death Unholy Curse | Deadly Curse
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,37807.0.html

I think this card brings a lot more variety to death-effect-based decks. Do you agree ? And, will the upgraded version overshadow the current boneyard ?
"When your creatures die, your opponent gets boneyards."

It is another way of clogging up the enemy field like Alfatoxin.

I think the upgraded would overshadow boneyard. (3 :death + 1 upgrade + 1 card + 1 CC -> 3x boneyard)

I would reccomend testing the rate of the clogging to see how it compares to the buffed alfatoxin.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

TehKyou

Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg476524#msg476524
« Reply #386 on: April 01, 2012, 01:56:36 am »
Is there a thread about cards with mixed elements? I saw in the "Forge" cards that looked like they belonged to 2 elements at once and I was wondering how they went about explaining those.

I did find a thread about a duo element collaboration effort, but if fell short after 2 posts. I wouldn't mind revisiting the idea since I have a solution to ease the transition into duo elemental cards. I don't want to revive the old thread without permission though

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg476540#msg476540
« Reply #387 on: April 01, 2012, 02:32:42 am »
I have injured my primary arm so this thread will take a short break. Nothing seem broken.

Is there a thread about cards with mixed elements? I saw in the "Forge" cards that looked like they belonged to 2 elements at once and I was wondering how they went about explaining those
There are a few mixed element concepts.

However the one I suspect you are referring to is Chaos Lightning.
It costs 2 :entropy/ :aether which means randomly between  :aether :aether or  :aether :entropy or :entropy :entropy or  :entropy :aether.
These are called Hybrid cards because they used the Hybrid Pseudoquanta mechanic and they are part of the misleadingly named Duality Series.
--underlined are some keywords to search

Since it can be played using either quanta, it needs to make sense as a mono card in each element.

These cards go in the misnamed Pseudo Element crucible.
--Pseudoelement was already defined as a series with an elemental theme that does not have a new quanta pool.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

TehKyou

Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg476543#msg476543
« Reply #388 on: April 01, 2012, 02:38:20 am »
Would it be ok to make a new thread regarding the discussion of that topic?

• Legendary Member
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg476547#msg476547
« Reply #389 on: April 01, 2012, 02:41:53 am »
Would it be ok to make a new thread regarding the discussion of that topic?
Yes. Make it in design theory and defend your assertion. There is a significant burden of proof that should be given for large changes that require lots of zanz's time to make other improvements.

Offline waterzx

• Reputation Power: 11
  • waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.waterzx is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg477600#msg477600
« Reply #390 on: April 05, 2012, 06:00:32 am »

• Legendary Member
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg478170#msg478170
« Reply #391 on: April 09, 2012, 12:48:00 am »
The thread will now resume. (both arms can type)

Is this a new kind of mechanics ?

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,38079.0.html
Yes, it is a new form of scaling.
We have linear scaling of cost and benefit with standard activated abilities.
We have quadratic scaling of benefit and linear scaling of cost with " :life: X per Y" ( :life: Heal you 3hp per CARDNAME)
This will be linear scaling of benefit with no scaling of cost. Effectively it is the X per Y scaling with the cost and benefit both divided by the number of creatures.

However new is neither good nor bad. It is the utility of the implementation that matters.

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg478171#msg478171
« Reply #392 on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:49 am »
This post wasn't copied to this new forum. So here it is:

Currently, Giant Ant is not doing well in the life crucible. Do you think this is because of the mechanic, the implementation of the mechanic, or the text not revealing the mechanic combined with laziness for not looking at threads? Do you think the mechanic is worth another go?

Also OT, you should link you're account to your previous one. It's so wierd seeing you with 1 post.  :)
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

• Legendary Member
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg478201#msg478201
« Reply #393 on: April 09, 2012, 02:11:00 am »
The thread is back. My primary arm can type.

Is this a new kind of mechanics ?

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,38079.0.html
Yes it is a new kind of implementation.
Rather than linearly scaling cost and benefit (Lava Golem) or quadratically scaling benefit with linear cost (X per Y), you are linearly scaling benefit without scaling cost.
However new is not inherently good or bad. Does this implementation have utility?

When you are feeling better, I have a few questions to break up the monotony of reviewing cards.
1If you were told EtG would be adding one more card for the rest of its existence (not likely, I know, but hypotheticals), what would you have the card be like; in other words, what is the most important problem the game has right now that could be fixed with a single card?
2What card(s) currently in the game, if any, would you oughtright remove or significantly change, and why?
3How many cards total do you think EtG needs?

4Finally, some other CCGs include what I'll call "Explicit Combos". This is beyond just synergy; the cards were designed to be used with each other, often in specific strategies. What advantages and disadvantages would these bring to EtG? If it could be good, what would be the biggest such combination you would be comfortable with?
Nice questions.
1 card. Hmm. The game has so much left to patch and directions to expand in. I would probably make a lower quality patch that patched as much as possible. I would still take heed of when the marginal cost and marginal benefit intersected. Since the scenario left open the possibility of card changes, I would probably ignore metagame balance and instead focus on expanding inherent metagame balancing systems (aka Completeness). Since the goal would be to affect as many elements as possible it would have to be an Other card. The most important part of completeness is the ability to defend. However this could be done in a less elegant manner by merely expanding certain types of CC to also be general PC (Freeze). This could not be done for all elements (Life, Light). Offenses are not as diverse as desired but that is a lower priority.
So it would be an Other CC/PC card that had an alternative use as a growing spell damage offense. However it would have a balanced cost both for its effect but also including the tax for its increased versatility. I would design it to be slightly UP to discourage its use except by the decks that needed it. This would be intended to decrease the usage of the card to counteract the detail that it is 5-20 cards squished into 1.

What card would I remove or significantly change?
Holy Light (Purify is 2nd, Shard of Focus is ignored because it is not in the game)

Holy Light has 4 usages
  • Heal the player. Luciferin does the same for 2|1 rather than 1 :light|0. I would never use Holy Flash for this purpose and Luciferin is usable to start :light production.
  • Heal a creature. I rarely leave or see one of my creatures left injured. Waiting for a kill is better because damaging CC rarely has side effects. (Ice Bolt, Chaos Seed, Gravity Pull)
  • Elemental Hate. Aka punish a player for liking Death or Darkness. There is no reason to include such damaging metagame influence such as Elemental Hate.
  • 2x Holy Light + Voodoo Doll (upped) = 20 damage for 2 :light + 2 :darkness + 3 cards + 1 upgrade + Duo. I prefer the more efficient Unstable Gas or Shakar.
So 4 usages with no sufficient reason for existing. That is sufficient reason to change Holy Light to a Pacifying effect.

Purify's "Remove all Poison" gets in the way of balancing the card because it is too situationally powerful.

How many cards do I think EtG needs?
It depends on the quality concentration per card. The game could be complete with merely 120 interacting cards of Crusader quality. However more reasonable models would be 30-40 cards in each element or a continually increasing number of cards.

Explicit combos are fine when not Forced, Imbalanced nor Unmentioned. However they are usually called Synergy in those cases.
Forced: As a rule of thumb a card is part of a forced combo if it cannot be used competently in 3 or more combos without repeating partners.
Imbalanced: Imbalanced card combos eliminate potential gameplay variety.
Unmentioned: We must remember that Elements is also meant to appeal to people that don't enjoy researching the game. Cards should not hate on newbs.

Currently, Giant Ant is not doing well in the life crucible. (will edit with link when i get computer access tommorow). Do you think this is because of the mechanic, the implementation of the mechanic, or the text not revealing the mechanic combined with laziness for not looking at threads? Do you think the mechanic is worth another go?
Yes it is probably the mechanic. It feels interesting to some but it feels weird to most.
I think some parts of the mechanic might be valuable (Card A spawns Card B. Y happens to Card B if X happens to Card A) but other parts feel like novelty without utility (the adjacent slots requirement).

Offline ddevans96

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 113
  • ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ddevans96 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • now palafrost
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver Donor9th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 6th Birthday Cake8th Trials - Master of WaterSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House CupSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg478207#msg478207
« Reply #394 on: April 09, 2012, 02:23:31 am »
In your post following round 3 of the CDW, you stated that you had, correctly, expected my loss in that round, but implied that my match was closer than you expected, and that you would look at my card more closely.

Could I ask your impressions before the vote, and your impressions after studying the card, if they have changed?
discord / twitter: palafrost - 2x master of water - false god enthusiast
twitch: palafrost - speedrunner, ex-celeste, currently hades
avatar: makoto [persona 5] by asukabaka

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Ask the Idea Guru https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32272.msg478211#msg478211
« Reply #395 on: April 09, 2012, 02:29:39 am »
Currently, Giant Ant is not doing well in the life crucible. (will edit with link when i get computer access tommorow). Do you think this is because of the mechanic, the implementation of the mechanic, or the text not revealing the mechanic combined with laziness for not looking at threads? Do you think the mechanic is worth another go?
Yes it is probably the mechanic. It feels interesting to some but it feels weird to most.
I think some parts of the mechanic might be valuable (Card A spawns Card B. Y happens to Card B if X happens to Card A) but other parts feel like novelty without utility (the adjacent slots requirement).
Thank you. I shall work on developing this further with this feedback in mind.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

blarg: