*Author

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg296449#msg296449
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 02:58:35 am »
Zanz has placed a taboo on instant kill cards that do not mention hp.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline Ekki

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Ekki is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Not-so-young Elemental
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg296454#msg296454
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 03:10:15 am »
^^This. It's just that way, sorry. Even though, there are always creative ways of doing insta-kill without breaking the taboo (see skull shield? It's even worse than insta kill). You might find a way if you look for it. I like the idea of it killing the creature with the lowest atk/hp that attacked you...

Offline az4rel

• Reputation Power: 4
  • az4rel is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg296458#msg296458
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 03:18:39 am »
^^This. It's just that way, sorry. Even though, there are always creative ways of doing insta-kill without breaking the taboo (see skull shield? It's even worse than insta kill). You might find a way if you look for it. I like the idea of it killing the creature with the lowest atk/hp that attacked you...
I like the idea of it killing the creature with the lowest atk/hp that attacked you...  :P

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg298462#msg298462
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 10:22:10 am »
CURATOR COMMENT
-Please add the ' :darkness' icon after the card's COST section in the table. (It should read '6 :darkness' instead of just '6' for example, so that it matches the card image; otherwise, you're implying it requires a generic amount of quanta)
-*Although I won't discard the possibility that you drew this (or designed this completely) from scratch, could you also provide any links to any images you modified for the card art? If you modified a pre-existing image, you need to provide the page link where the art you used is located.

* = ignore this if you drew the image yourself from start to finish

Lovely idea, although the shield name is a bit of a stretch in comparison to some of the other 'one-name' shields (Hope, Procrastination, & Wings). A good thing you noted that Iridium Warden trick; I would have never thought of that as a way to counter the shield's effects. :)

Also, WELCOME to the Card Ideas & Art (or 'CIA' ;) ) board, TheManuz! If you have any questions regarding card ideas and whatnot, feel free to ask me or any of the other Card Curators for assistance. :) Thanks.

Offline TheManuzTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 18
  • TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeVictor of the 2nd Card Design WarMS Master Painter #5The First Prophet
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg298513#msg298513
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 12:52:40 pm »
I know, but i always thought that the problem is targeted instakill. This is a way of doing it without targeting.
Is there some thread with Zanzarino's words about instakill? Just to be informed!

I can try to find a way to use hp (something like: kill the first creature attacking that has HP!  :P).
No seriously, i understand your point, but i think that this is not worse that the skull shield, so i want to try to bring this idea further.
The idea of killing the creature with lowest atk/hp is really good, but in that case the shield should costs less, i think, or maybe should not have a limited number of turns.
With the shield modified that way you can run an aflatoxin on yourself to counter the effect every turn and render the shield useless. Same behavior for creature generators, like FFQ and Pharaoh.

Also, i'm thinking that switching from "the first attacking creature" to "the last creature summoned" could bring some interesting defensive strategies (for the opponent, of course), and it's easier to tell which creature will die next!
CURATOR COMMENT
-Please add the ' :darkness' icon after the card's COST section in the table. (It should read '6 :darkness' instead of just '6' for example, so that it matches the card image; otherwise, you're implying it requires a generic amount of quanta)
It will be done!
-*Although I won't discard the possibility that you drew this (or designed this completely) from scratch, could you also provide any links to any images you modified for the card art? If you modified a pre-existing image, you need to provide the page link where the art you used is located.

* = ignore this if you drew the image yourself from start to finish
I've done the piece all by myself and i can provide a layered PSD to prove it (ask to me if it's needed).

Lovely idea, although the shield name is a bit of a stretch in comparison to some of the other 'one-name' shields (Hope, Procrastination, & Wings). A good thing you noted that Iridium Warden trick; I would have never thought of that as a way to counter the shield's effects. :)

Also, WELCOME to the Card Ideas & Art (or 'CIA' ;) ) board, TheManuz! If you have any questions regarding card ideas and whatnot, feel free to ask me or any of the other Card Curators for assistance. :) Thanks.
Thanks for your review. I will ask you if i need something!  ;)

MisterMello

Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg301962#msg301962
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2011, 01:28:18 am »
Btw, sexy art. ;)

Offline ZephyrPhantom

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 101
  • ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.ZephyrPhantom is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeFlavour Text Revival Competition - WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg301977#msg301977
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2011, 01:40:06 am »
I feel this game is a little overemphasized on these card design taboos. Even if Zanz himself says directly that he doesn't want any instakill cards AT ALL, I think it is possible to break a "taboo" and make a good card.

This card is one of a small group of examples that has managed to do that.  It instakills, yes, but it is also a shield and lets a lot of damage throught otherwise, along with having a timer, which seems to balance it out very well. It even has a special counter in the form of Iridium Warden and Arctic Squid as noted by some other people.

IMHO, it is worth at least a submission to the Crucible.

• TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeVictor of the 2nd Card Design WarMS Master Painter #5The First Prophet
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg302188#msg302188
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2011, 09:59:15 am »
I feel this game is a little overemphasized on these card design taboos. Even if Zanz himself says directly that he doesn't want any instakill cards AT ALL, I think it is possible to break a "taboo" and make a good card.

This card is one of a small group of examples that has managed to do that.  It instakills, yes, but it is also a shield and lets a lot of damage throught otherwise, along with having a timer, which seems to balance it out very well. It even has a special counter in the form of Iridium Warden and Arctic Squid as noted by some other people.

Thank you very much for your words!
I always thought that this card can be (obviously) improved, but i also thought that the instakill was the main trait of this card, so i did not want to remove it!
Anyway, Zanz sometimes takes cards ideas and modify them, so if he ever will consider the idea of making this card, he will surely modify something if he finds something taboo or unbalanced.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg302254#msg302254
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08:40 pm »

It is possible to make a good card that breaks a taboo but this is not a card it is a card suggestion.

IMHO, it is not appropriate as a card suggestion.
I have not been able to track down chat comments related to this taboo. However here is 3 posts to get a feel of how zanz does not like instant kill cards, prefers non instant kill versions and when that is not possible he puts lots of restrictions on it.
Quote from: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,1404.msg15750#msg15750
I still do not like cards that completely ignore the creature defense stat.
This resulted in carcinogen being changed to Alfatoxin: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,1404.msg16553#msg16553
Initial drawbacks to flooding
http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,4066.msg49436#msg49436

Remember you are making a card suggestion not a card. The difference is significant.

"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg302314#msg302314
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2011, 02:48:36 pm »
[...]
Remember you are making a card suggestion not a card. The difference is significant.
I know this, i never forgot this:
[...]
Anyway, Zanz sometimes takes cards ideas and modify them, so if he ever will consider the idea of making this card, he will surely modify something if he finds something taboo or unbalanced.
Back to instakill, i'm glad you took the example of flooding.
Flooding is instakill, BUT
    has no targethas upkeep
Chasm | Abyss is instakill, BUT
    has no targethas limited number of turns
And, as you said, is just a suggestion for a card, so i would focus only on balancing, forgetting the whole instakill thing.  :)

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Chasm | Abyss https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=22984.msg309067#msg309067
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2011, 10:46:32 pm »
Just a small thing I noticed TheManuz; your card images have been removed. Is it possible for you to re-upload them (possibly on a more stable site such as http://imageplay.net/ ) soon? Thanks. :)

blarg: