*Author

Offline VinerozTopic starter

• Chat Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Deckbuilding Competition - Simulated ViolenceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455882#msg455882
« on: February 02, 2012, 06:16:15 am »
NAME:
Potential
ELEMENT:
Other
COST:
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Your mark gains a skill. This spell can't be used when your HP is > 40. Heals yourself up to 20 HP's. Stackable.
NAME:
Extreme Potential
ELEMENT:
Other
COST:
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Your mark gains a skill. Inflict 20 damage to yourself. Stackable.
Absol and many others for suggestions.
ART:
http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1185531, modified by Vineroz
IDEA:
Vineroz
NOTES:
The idea of the card comes from this thread. When Muffinesque asked for comments on it in chat, the response is not very positive. It would be very hard to balance in a deck. And then I thought of making this idea into a card. For a more detailed "making-of" of this card, please go to this pre-Smithy thread (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,36253.0.html).

Card ability break down:
    Skill
    The skill cost will be 1 from the element matching the mark. They are small effects by themselves, while matching the ability of their element.
    ElementEffect
    :airTarget creature gains :air :air:Dive
    :darknessTarget creature gains -1/+0
    :deathTarget creature gains +0/-1
    :earthTarget creature gains +0/+1
    :fireTarget creature gains +1/+0
    :gravityConvert 1 non-gravity quantum into :gravity :gravity
    :lifeHeal yourself for up to 3 HP's
    :lightTarget creature gains Bioluminescience
    :timeSee the opponent's hand
    :waterIncrease healing counter by 1
    :entropyAdd a random :entropy card in your hand
    :aetherDeal 3 spell damage to target player
    HP limit
    This is implemented to match the theme "adrenaline rush" in real life. It can also act as balance method mechanically. Healing is to make this card more useful, and worthwhile to put more than one into a deck. It also fits thematically, as the survivability after triggering potential tends to be higher.
    For the upped version, you can inflict damage on yourself instead waiting for the danger moment to trigger the potential. It should be more versatile to play in the game.

Stackable
    This is another mechanic that makes this card interesting. When you play this card for the first time, your mark gains a skill and a counter, which denotes how many times you can activate the skill in a turn. Play this card for the second time, the counter will be set to two. One counter will be used each time you activate the skill. It will be restored at the end of the turn.
    [/list]
    Thank you
    [tr][td]
    SERIES:
    [td]
    [/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
    :water skill: Remove the poison status from yourself ---> Increase healing counter by 1
    :aether skill: Summon an exact copy of the target creature for 1 turn ---> Deal 2 spell damage to target player
    :life skill: Heal yourself for up to 2 HP's ---> Heal yourself for up to 3 HP's
    :aether skill: Deal 2 spell damage to target player ---> Deal 3 spell damage to target player
    « Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 03:03:17 am by Vineroz »
    TIME is around us. It flows silently, trying to take everything away from us.
    PvP Tournament Organizer (2012 Sep - 2013 Oct, 2016 Nov - 2017 Aug) | Chat Mod (2016 Nov - )  :time

Offline UTAlan

• Reputation Power: 58
    • UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
    • Immortally Aether
    • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeReviver of the WikiWar #6 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSecond Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455884#msg455884
    « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 06:29:51 am »
    Overall, I love the concept. Most of the skills look great as is. My thoughts:

* Change Water to decrease poison count/increase healing count by 1. That makes the Stackable useful and makes it no longer OP.
    * Aether seems OP, especially with Stackable, though I don't know what to suggest to change it to.
    * Time is useless with Stackable, but "Draw a card" seems overused between Sundial, Precog, and Hourglass. No suggestions here, either. Sorry. :P

* Can the skill be Lobotomized or Deflagged?

Hope that helps! Looking forward to seeing this card develop. :)

• Chat Moderator
    • Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
    • Awards: Deckbuilding Competition - Simulated ViolenceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455885#msg455885
    « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:39:04 am »
    The suggestion on water's skill is nice. OP updated.
    Aether's skill do look OP now I look at it. And I just think of another that skill it could use when I write this. :P
    Now Time's skill is really overused. Guess I will have to think of an original idea.

The good thing about this card is it triggers the potential of the elemental itself, rather then his creature minions. It is built-in (with the mark), therefore it can't be targeted (like any other marks).
    PvP Tournament Organizer (2012 Sep - 2013 Oct, 2016 Nov - 2017 Aug) | Chat Mod (2016 Nov - )  :time

Offline UTAlan

• Reputation Power: 58
    • UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.UTAlan is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
    • Immortally Aether
    • Awards: Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeReviver of the WikiWar #6 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSecond Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455887#msg455887
    « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 06:51:35 am »
    I love the new Aether skill. Perfect.

Offline iancudorinmarian

• Legendary Member
    • Reputation Power: 67
    • iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.iancudorinmarian walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
    • Master of Ponies.Eternally salty about War#11 SEC.
    • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWar #12 Winner - Team Darkness12th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of EntropySlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWinner of TrinityWinner of Team PvP #710th Trials - Master of EntropySlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner9th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455903#msg455903
    « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:14:30 am »
    maybe at  :aether skill:lobotomize?

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
    • Reputation Power: 114
    • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
    • I was available for questions.
    • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455919#msg455919
    « Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:00 am »
    UP :life :light :aether
    Might be UP :time
    Might be OP :air

What do you mean by stackable?

I like this card. I think your focus on simple effects has made the card reasonable simple.
    "It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
    "Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
    Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline NikaZaslavsky

• Reputation Power: 10
    • NikaZaslavsky is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.NikaZaslavsky is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
    • Beware The Rainbow Donut of Doom
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455926#msg455926
    « Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »
    I like it. Time's skill seems a bit OP though, perhaps it could be to draw two cards or something. And for the upgraded version, do you still need to have <40 HP to activate the skill?
    Creepers be creepin'
    Builders be weepin'

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
    • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455929#msg455929
    « Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 12:43:50 pm »
    I like it. Time's skill seems a bit OP though
    ??
    Why?
    "It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
    Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

• Chat Moderator
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455957#msg455957
    « Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 02:52:55 pm »
    This card is supposed to activate a subtle effect (generally weaker then what a card can do) that can help player to survive, either by providing healing (e.g. :life :water) or rush faster (e.g. :air :aether).

For :life, considering it's healing ability (Heal, Bond, Shard) and the rushing ability, I guess it could heal 3 HP per turn, but definitely not more than that. Remember this card already heals (unupped) and is stackable.
    For :light, mid-game to late-game condition is considered when using the unupped version. By that time, decent amount of defence can be set up (Hope/Sanc/Miracle in hand) and the skill can overcome lobotomize. For upped version it allows you to set up faster, so I don't see why it is UP.
    For :aether, again I think I could make it deal 3 damage at max.

Might be UP :time

I think able to see the opponent's hand is a very powerful skill, as you can plan your strategy directly against them. But it indeed provides least "Protection" for the player. A poll is put up for the skill of :time.

Might be OP :air

I did look at Fly | Fly (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,8697.0.html) for reference. If I apply that formula, it would be too complicated. According to that thread, skill cost :air :air should apply to 6-8 (8-11) attack creatures. Considering the limitation of this card (must use air mark, no airborne) I think it is fine.

What do you mean by stackable?

It is stated at the bottom of the notes. :) Basically it means you can activate multiple times of the skill in a turn if you used more than one "Potential".

I like it. Time's skill seems a bit OP though, perhaps it could be to draw two cards or something.

We don't need another drawing mechanic from :time! :P But please vote for the :time skill :)

And for the upgraded version, do you still need to have <40 HP to activate the skill?

No, you just need to take 20 damage (similar to SoSac) upon playing the card.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg455996#msg455996
    « Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 05:04:37 pm »
    This card is supposed to activate a subtle effect (generally weaker then what a card can do)Because it is an immaterial repeatable ability.

For :life, considering it's healing ability (Heal, Bond, Shard) and the rushing ability, I guess it could heal 3 HP per turn, but definitely not more than that. Remember this card already heals (unupped) and is stackable.
    For :light, mid-game to late-game condition is considered when using the unupped version. By that time, decent amount of defence can be set up (Hope/Sanc/Miracle in hand) and the skill can overcome lobotomize. For upped version it allows you to set up faster, so I don't see why it is UP.
    For :aether, again I think I could make it deal 3 damage at max.
    Some relevant comparisons. Draw your own conclusions.
    Shard of Gratitude (Life) vs Potential (Life)
    SoG: 1 card + Life Mark + 5 :rainbow + 0 :life per turn -> Regenerate 5
    Potential: 1 card + Life Mark + Casting restrictions + 3 :rainbow + 1 :life per turn -> Regenerate 3

Luciferin vs Potential (Light)
    Luciferin: 1 card + 2 :rainbow + 0 :light per usage -> All creatures without an active ability gain Biolum and you heal 10
    Potential: 1 card + Light Mark + Casting restrictions + 3 :rainbow + 1 :light per usage -> Target creature gains Biolum

Shard of Void (Darkness) vs Potential (Aether)
    SoV: 1 card + Darkness Mark + 5 :rainbow + 0 :life per turn -> 3 max hp damage
    Potential: 1 card + Aether Mark + Casting restrictions + 3 :rainbow + 1 :aether per turn -> 3 Spell damage

• Chat Moderator
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg456287#msg456287
    « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 02:53:12 pm »
    :life and :aether skill updated. I still need feedback on :time and :light skill

I think the main difference between Luciferin and Potential (:light) is Potential is a repeated skill and stackable. Luciferin only affects creature with no active skills, while Potential can replace a creature's active skill to Bioluminescience.

Offline Calindu

• Legendary Member
    • Reputation Power: 50
    • Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Calindu brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
    • Abomination is quite pretty
    • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerFourth Budosei of BudokanSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWar #9 Winner - Team Darkness8th Trials - Master of EntropyChampionship League 2/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerColosseum II Champion7th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 Winner6th Trials - Master of EntropyWinner of There Can Be Only One!Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 3/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
    Re: Potential | Extreme Potential https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36255.msg456329#msg456329
    « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 05:24:29 pm »
    What can't be used when your hp>40, Potential or mark skill?
    You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy.
    War

blarg: Absol