*Author

Offline moomooseTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
  • Awards: Winner of the Mark Redesign competition!
Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455759#msg455759
« on: February 01, 2012, 11:09:13 pm »
NAME:
Stone Totem
ELEMENT:
Earth
COST:
3 :earth
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
0 | 5
TEXT:
Adjacent creatures gain +2|+2
NAME:
Earth Totem
ELEMENT:
Earth
COST:
3 :earth
TYPE:
Creature
ATK|HP:
0 | 10
TEXT:
Adjacent creatures gain +2|+2
ART:
public domain http://www.fourmilab.ch/images/eclipse_2010/L012.html
IDEA:
moomoose
NOTES:
a totem does not do much on its own, but it enhances the creatures adjacent to it. totems can affect other totems, so its not the worst thing in the world to have two adjacent totems. the totem's effect is passive and cannot be lobotomized.

State of stacking:

In general Boons from multiple totems stack even if they are the same type of totem or the recipient is a totem.

Time is worded such that it would not overcome summoning sickness nor allow a third usage of the skill.
2 Time boons will not stack and Time totems can only give their boon to Water totems, certain non totems and totems given activated abilities (like through Entropy boons).

Death, Darkness, Entropy and Light boons will not stack with themselves or each other on a single creature.
SERIES:
not going to produce cards for each element in the series, just using the :earth totem as a representative for the group as i find it annoying when the entire series is posted.

:fire: adjacent creatures gain +3|-1 / +4|+0  *2-3 hp totem
:aether: adjacent creatures gain immaterial / +1|+1 and immaterial *3-5 hp totem
:air: adjacent creatures become airborn and gain +2|+1 / airborn and +3|+1 *2-3 hp totem
:darkness: adjacent creatures gain vampire ability / +1|+1 and vampire ability * 2-3 hp totem
:death: adjacent creatures gain venom ability / +1|+1 and venom ability *3-5 hp totem, higher cost
:entropy: adjacent creatures gain a random ability (cost matches their element 2x quanta) / a random ability (cost matches their element 1x quanta) *2-3 hp totem
:gravity: adjacent creatures gain +1|+3 and momentum / +1|+5 and momentum *5-10 hp totem
:life: adjacent creatures heal you for up to 3hp each turn/ 5hp per turn * 4-5 hp totem
:light: adjacent creatures gain +1|+1 and generate :light each turn / +2|+2 and generate :light each turn *4-5 hp totem
:time: cost :time :time : adjacent creatures may use their ability a second time / :time *1-2hp
:water: cost :water :water : adjacent creatures gain +3|+3 for one turn /  :water :water adjacent creatures gain +4|+4 for one turn *3-5 hp

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 03:19:59 pm by moomoose »
moose dont say moo.

• Legendary Member
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455777#msg455777
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:12:56 am »
well i thought a living buff was interesting, but apparently two non-constructive anonymous non-posters disagree. anyone with a spine care to comment?
moose dont say moo.

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455785#msg455785
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 12:33:09 am »
Looks alright to me, though I have a secret place in my heart for the moai :p  The dive one might be rather overpowered, unless the dive cost were fairly high.  Diving dragons ftw... (they come out of their demesnes mad!)

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455795#msg455795
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:32 am »
definitely the air one could use some work, the balance could come from the health and/or cost of the totem and/or the cost of the ability, honestly no amount of theorycrafting will do much to help balance these, beta testing would be much more effective, I'm just putting the ideas out here- as they could easily be converted into shard ideas.
moose dont say moo.

Offline Naesala

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455840#msg455840
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 03:34:28 am »
I feel gravity's is UP and death's is a little OP, otherwise pretty good. I think they could all use a little tweaking here and there though.
Your favorite Hotyugh

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455850#msg455850
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 04:00:48 am »
as above with the air totem, the more powerful totems could have less hp to make them easier to take away, and/or increase their costs.

gravity does seem a little tame, could toss in momentum too
moose dont say moo.

Offline SnoWeb

• Reputation Power: 23
  • SnoWeb is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.SnoWeb is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.SnoWeb is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.SnoWeb is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: War #2 Winner - Team Entropy
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455894#msg455894
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:15 am »
Could you define adjacent in EtG terms, please? Does it concern 2 or 6 creatures or else? Does the bonus stack? A creature in position 1 affected by an earth totem in position 4 and a fire one in position 5 will receive a +7|+3 bonus, right?

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455921#msg455921
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:29:42 am »
well i thought a living buff was interesting, but apparently two non-constructive anonymous non-posters disagree. anyone with a spine care to comment?
The totem mechanic is valuable. Without any additional support it acts like 2 buffs which the opponent can remove separately from the creatures they buff.

I think the increased totem hp is enough of an upgrade. The abilities do not need 2 forms.

My favorites:  :earth (+2|+2) and  :aether (Immaterial)

This idea is worthy of Rep. +67rep.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455962#msg455962
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 03:04:57 pm »
@sno: yes, totems stack with each other (i would think of with other types but not with the same type would be a useful balancing mechanism, so fire+earth is OK, earth+earth would only be one effect).  as for which slots it will affect, adjacent does have some ambiguity to it, but i intended it for those which were in contact with it, so slot 7 is adjacent to 12, 20, 3, 8 and 16.

@ot: good point with "I think the increased totem hp is enough of an upgrade.", for earth i think that is valid, for some others, keeping the hp unchanged but boosting the power may be a good way to go.
moose dont say moo.

Offline TheManuz

• Reputation Power: 18
  • TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.TheManuz is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeBrawl #2 Winner - Team FireSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeVictor of the 2nd Card Design WarMS Master Painter #5The First Prophet
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455974#msg455974
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 03:38:27 pm »
I was one of the non-constructive anonymous non-posters.
I think you're being a little rude saying those things, i saw your post yesterday but it was late and i've to go to sleep. That's why i didn't leave a comment.
I don't want to start a flame or else, just wanted to say that you shouldn't take it personal if someone doesn't post in your threads.

Back to the card:
I really like this mechanic. It's original and opens new game scenario.
I have a question: some totems grants active abilities, like :air dive, :darkness vampire, :death venom and :entropy random. What happens if a creature already got an ability?
And what if two totems both give their ability to a single creature? What ability prevails?

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455992#msg455992
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 04:41:10 pm »
I have a question: some totems grants active abilities, like :air dive, :darkness vampire, :death venom and :entropy random. What happens if a creature already got an ability?
And what if two totems both give their ability to a single creature? What ability prevails?
Due to possible interactions, I think totem abilities that do not bestow active abilities should be preferred over those that do.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

• Legendary Member
  • I'm big in Japan.
Re: Stone Totem | Earth Totem https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36237.msg455995#msg455995
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:04:05 pm »
stat-totems can stack just fine with other stat totems (as long as its not two of the same) and ability totems, when an ability totem tries to stack with another, the one that was placed second overwrites that of the first.  if a card is added after two totems have already been played, and could be affected by either, i believe it would make sense to go with the totem which position was a higher number.

also, i think its odd that someone would rate it 1 star and then say its a good mechanic.  a bit of a disconnect there.
moose dont say moo.

anything
blarg: