*Author

Solastrius

Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423671#msg423671
« on: November 11, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »
NAME:
Anti-Venom
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
2 :life
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Remove 1 poison from the target creature.
Heal the creature for 1 HP.
NAME:
Potent Anti-Venom
ELEMENT:
Life
COST:
2 :life
TYPE:
Spell
ATK|HP:
TEXT:
Remove all poison from a creature. Heal the creature for HP's equaling the number of poisons & grant immunity.
ART:
Solastrius
IDEA:
Solastrius
NOTES:
Anti-venom is meant to provide an extremely simple and useful spell card...

Anti-Venom could be effective when used for:

1. Combining with Liquid Shadow
2. Blocking the development of  malignant cells
3. Minimizing the effects of Thorn / Spine Carapace
4. Allowing Creatures with the Devour ability to
    efficiently dispose of venomous creatures
5. Neutralizing poison damage from voodoo dolls
SERIES:

Offline I8SumOrangesNItWasK

• Reputation Power: 3
  • I8SumOrangesNItWasK is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423685#msg423685
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:09:09 pm »
I like the idea. Two thoughts:

1. I think the cost of the upgraded version should be 2 :life because it's not really all that better. You'll be glad you upgraded it, sure, because it'll come in handy; but the extra cost may not even merit upgrading.

2. Should it be :water? Purify is by far the closest thing we have so far, and it's :water. I think either element works, but :water seems slighty more appropriate.

Solastrius

Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423690#msg423690
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 01:43:01 pm »
I like the idea. Two thoughts:

1. I think the cost of the upgraded version should be 2 :life because it's not really all that better. You'll be glad you upgraded it, sure, because it'll come in handy; but the extra cost may not even merit upgrading.

2. Should it be :water? Purify is by far the closest thing we have so far, and it's :water. I think either element works, but :water seems slightly more appropriate.
 I seriously considered having the upgrade cost the same quanta for quite a while, but decided to up it 1 and here's why:

1. It costs numerous quanta to apply multiple stacks of poison to an enemy, so it didn't seem quite fair
    to preserve the existence of a 10 quanta dragon, afflicted with aflatoxin, for only 2 quanta. It also seemed to me that
    while using the upgraded version, a player would wait and make the most of the card by removing multiple stacks of poison.
    Given the extra turns, spent waiting... 3 :life didn't seem like too high of a cost in an upgraded deck.

2. With the costs, the two versions serve different purposes and a given deck may find use in having both versions on hand.
    One should also consider that on a per-stack basis, while less quanta efficient than the unupped version for dealing with a
    single poisoning, the upgraded card at a cost of 3 quanta is actually extremely cost-effective for stacks above 1 when
    compared to the basic version. The basic version is primarily intended as a cheap emergency button to preserve a creature
    or a counter to the debilitating side-effects of liquid shadow. Also, as oty's and scarabs only devour once per turn, having
    the upgraded version in such a deck would be superfluous anyway.

3. I don't want this card to be a fool-proof counter or catch-all, ...rather something to give players a chance to benefit from
    thinking over their deck-building and draws.

...As for making Anti-Venom a water card instead. I specifically wanted it to be non-water because I don't think it's a good thing that the only effective counter for poison in the game right now exists in the water element. Also, I found life to be a more fitting element of choice because it's supposed to be the opposite of death, the primary user of poisons. Additionally, I am hoping that
by making Anti-Venom a life card, I will be encouraging the use of a dual element, forest-spirit deck. Lava Golem decks are a dime a dozen, afterall.

I hope you find my responses to be well reasoned. Thank you very much for your comment.

• New to Elements
Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423695#msg423695
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 02:05:37 pm »
I'm glad you had it all thought-out already. :) You acctually put effort into it, and considered everything instead of just putting down random numbers with a random element.

Here's something I want to add, especially as a heavy Scarab-user. I can see how this card would have EXTREME synergy with Liquid Shadow. This would encourage a :darkness/ :life duo, which is for the most part pretty uncommon. I can also see how this card would be...useful to Otyugh users. (Ok, in fact, "very useful" but not mandatory or anything.) If someone who uses Otyughs thinks becoming poisoned is an inherent problem, they could throw a couple in their deck. This could encourage a mono-gravity deck to become a duo, and use the very rare/possibly unheard of :gravity/ :life duo. But I don't see it being too useful to Scarab decks. Every turn, you have at least one Pharaoh producing a Scarab. Just have some random Scarab devour the poisonous creature, and don't use that Scarab anymore. Don't have it be your "main" one, or anything...and you have plenty more. Plus, it'll never die. It's HP will remain the same (or go up, with multiple Phraoahs). My deck already uses 3 elements. I don't want to make it 4. :-\

Definitely sounds fun with Liquid Shadow, though. I'll give you that. ;)

Solastrius

Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423702#msg423702
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 02:27:59 pm »
I'm glad you had it all thought-out already. :) You acctually put effort into it, and considered everything instead of just putting down random numbers with a random element.

Here's something I want to add, especially as a heavy Scarab-user. I can see how this card would have EXTREME synergy with Liquid Shadow. This would encourage a :darkness/ :life duo, which is for the most part pretty uncommon. I can also see how this card would be...useful to Otyugh users. (Ok, in fact, "very useful" but not mandatory or anything.) If someone who uses Otyughs thinks becoming poisoned is an inherent problem, they could throw a couple in their deck. This could encourage a mono-gravity deck to become a duo, and use the very rare/possibly unheard of :gravity/ :life duo. But I don't see it being too useful to Scarab decks. Every turn, you have at least one Pharaoh producing a Scarab. Just have some random Scarab devour the poisonous creature, and don't use that Scarab anymore. Don't have it be your "main" one, or anything...and you have plenty more. Plus, it'll never die. It's HP will remain the same (or go up, with multiple Phraoahs). My deck already uses 3 elements. I don't want to make it 4. :-\

Definitely sounds fun with Liquid Shadow, though. I'll give you that. ;)
 Well, it's true that Anti-venom would be less useful for scarab decks than decks that use oty's, although drawing an anti-venom early enough could theoretically prevent you from gathering numerous stacks of poison from a Chrysaora or worse, a
quickly-placed death-stalker, when you only have a scarab or two on the playing field. Unfortunately reverse-time can't take back the poison you already have. This card could also protect your pharoah's from poisoning, which may prove useful.  Admittedly, it would probably be a highly situational benefit for time decks and not at all a must-have by any means, especially given the advent of purify. Still, it's a bit of variety in choice for time decks, if nothing else.

Surely, this card won't be for everyone, but I think that's a good thing. It is my hope that it'll be handy to have, but not OP. This is my first card design so I'm not really aiming to create any game changing staple-cards that entire decks will be built around. A convenient little support-card that fills the occasional gap in current game-play would be quite enough to make me content.

By the way, ....what do you think of the card art? I am a little self-conscious about it, considering the fact that I made it. Will the graphic for it work?

Ekki

Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423720#msg423720
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 03:12:33 pm »
*glares at the wall of text*
Ehhhhmmmm... Well, I would read all what you posted here, but I actually don't have that much time right now ::)
However, I'd like to point out, this ability isn't very useful if you think:
1- You have only 6 copies of this, meaning its use is limited, while the use of poisoning in creatures is mostly unlimided, so I guess making it a permanent, a creature with a skill, or a "mass purify" spell sound like good ideas.
2- It's too situational. It only works when one of your creatures is poisoned, so only against some decktypes (and creature poisoning isn't that common).
3- The cost is too high. First of all, because the effect is already too situational, and secondly, because you can't even make your creature heal (like purify does), so without poison, forget about this...

I recommend you to change something there. Looks like a mechanic that should exist in Elements, so I encourage you to keep on with this card :D
BTW, once I read one idea: Regeneration, it had green counters and all that, so it was like anti-poison... You could take the card through that path...

Solastrius

Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423746#msg423746
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:11:32 pm »
*glares at the wall of text*
Ehhhhmmmm... Well, I would read all what you posted here, but I actually don't have that much time right now ::)
However, I'd like to point out, this ability isn't very useful if you think:
1- You have only 6 copies of this, meaning its use is limited, while the use of poisoning in creatures is mostly unlimided, so I guess making it a permanent, a creature with a skill, or a "mass purify" spell sound like good ideas.
2- It's too situational. It only works when one of your creatures is poisoned, so only against some decktypes (and creature poisoning isn't that common).
3- The cost is too high. First of all, because the effect is already too situational, and secondly, because you can't even make your creature heal (like purify does), so without poison, forget about this...

I recommend you to change something there. Looks like a mechanic that should exist in Elements, so I encourage you to keep on with this card :D
BTW, once I read one idea: Regeneration, it had green counters and all that, so it was like anti-poison... You could take the card through that path...
 ...Perhaps posting when you have time to read points that have already been made will spare others from repeated walls of text.

You do have some fresh points though and I'll endeavor to address them.

1. Yes it's use is limited to 6 cards, but when applied to something like a poisoned ruby dragon or fire spirit, it could increase
     damage output dramatically, accounting for additional turns of survival. 6 cards would also be sufficient for an
     oty' to devour 6 chrysaora or for 6 vampire black-dragons to remain indefinitely when confronted by aether and stall decks.
     6 of these cards could also neutralize a fair bit of damage if applied to afflicted enemy voodoo-dolls.

2. I must admit, it's a very situational card. Unfortunately, there's no other card in game (that I'm aware of) that is designed to
     handle the situations that this one does.

3. Yes, without poison on creatures this card is useless. It's designed to remove poison from creatures. At any rate, there's
     already ways to heal your creatures' HP. With regards to cost, please see the aforementioned wall-of-text above for my
     thoughts.

Offline Rutarete

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Rutarete frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • Creativity should be nurtured.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeRuby Shard of DeckbuildingSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423824#msg423824
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 06:58:57 pm »
I like this, particularly for Vampire Combo :)
Besides the feeling that this (or similar) has been done before, I'm all for this. Upped should have a cost of 2 imo.
It is the greatest mystery of all...
Rutarete: Roo tah reh teh
[22:50] <Jyi> meaning gets lost in translation... even in the same language.
My Decks

Solastrius

Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg423910#msg423910
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 10:02:25 pm »
I have adjusted the quanta cost of the upgraded version of Anti-Venom down to 2 :life.

• New to Elements
Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg424159#msg424159
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:00:37 am »
I have adjusted the quanta cost of the upgraded version of Anti-Venom down to 2 :life.
Just like that? lol

And sorry I didn't reply earlier to this. I got disconnected from the Internet while trying to reply.

I'd like to first mention that I DO like your card art. I think it's very good, in fact. :)

I'd also like to mention, poisoned Pharoahs are normally not an issue. I either win by the time the Pharaoh dies, or it's so late in the duel that it doesn't matter if the Pharoah is still alive or not.

(Speaking of poisoned Pharaohs, why does going back in time NOT reverse the Mummy's poisoning? They weren't poisoned in the past, when they were a Pharoah. But I digress...)

Solastrius

Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg424210#msg424210
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 10:20:24 am »
 Yeah, I still don't think the 2 :life cost is the best idea and have yet to be convinced otherwise, but I've also realized that 3 out of 3 repliers have commented on wanting it set at 2 :life for whatever reasons.

I figure the game could benefit from this card enough that I'd hate to see it get no support due to qualms over a quanta cost seeming too high to everyone. 1 :life just isn't a big enough deal for me when the mechanic of a simple, creature-poison removal is really what I'm looking to have introduced.

Offline furballdn

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 86
  • furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.furballdn is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Facetious trollnotmod
  • Awards: Epic 3 Card Winner - Clockwork GolemBest Recruiter of FriendsBest JournalistBest Chat PainterBattle - Slayer of The Great ChimeraBest Crafted Relic of Other
Re: Anti-Venom | Potent Anti-Venom https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33587.msg424587#msg424587
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 02:33:21 am »
Pretty good idea, but 2 :life to cure one creatures sounds expensive and UP. Maybe if it cured ALL your creatures of poison...

anything
blarg: