*Author

FSK

Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg359892#msg359892
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2011, 09:37:14 pm »
How about random-banning?  There are 5-10 cards that you're not allowed to use, semi-randomly selected?

I'd like to see more mono-decks.  How about a 50% chance that you're required to submit a mono deck?

Gerberos

Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg359895#msg359895
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2011, 09:46:08 pm »
Fortunately, the Arena is dynamic.  If you counter the rainbows hard, people will stop building them because they'll stop working.

Nuff said.
This.

ggabriel2

Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg359904#msg359904
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2011, 10:09:06 pm »
How about random-banning?  There are 5-10 cards that you're not allowed to use, semi-randomly selected?

I'd like to see more mono-decks.  How about a 50% chance that you're required to submit a mono deck?
Like I said before, I'm all for the oracle handing out tougher restrictions on deck building. Picking banned cards at random probably wouldn't do a lot of good, though. Even if it was picking out 10 cards, chances are you'd only be missing 1-2 power cards; still plenty of others to go around. Similarly, I'd like to see more incentive for creative mono/duo decks, but outright forcing them is probably not the way to go.

I think a simpler way to handle these kinds of restrictions would be to pick 2 entire elements at random and ban them (possibly counting "other" as an element.) That subtly nerfs rainbows without banning them outright, and if your heart is really set on putting together a rainbow deck there'd always be some variant you could put together if you were creative (which is the point.)

Alternately, another take on the mono requirement might be to pick a random element (which may or may not be the element of your assigned card) and require your arena deck to use at least 12-15 cards of that element. Again, you can still put together a rainbow-slanted deck with that limitation (especially if your assigned element is :entropy) but it takes a little bit of adaptation.

Offline Marvaddin

• Reputation Power: 13
  • Marvaddin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Marvaddin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • War to the Fake Gods!
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360021#msg360021
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2011, 03:43:39 am »
I didnt read all the thread, but, voted yes.

Its interesting when you fight vs duos FGs-like, I just played vs a Water-Air duo with both types of fishes, dragons, permafrost, EE... Its interesting. Had many other fun fights. What ruins the experience is the amount of rainbows. Im all up to banning QT. Dunno really about Supernova, because it at least costs entropy, but QT really deserves it.

Like people said, anyone can create a rainbow deck and simply insert any semi-decent cards he gets from Oracle.

Im also up to ban shards.

Offline Rastafla

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Tournament Guru "I'm too old for this sh-"
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner24 Club (cost 24+ cards during War auction)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360107#msg360107
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
Then why not ban the FG Rainbow? Its absurd to ban QTs and Novas. The danger is the 12 copies of cards that deny you hard, there's no stopping that card advantage when its abused and not balanced.
In game name & Chat nick; Rastafla | Retired Tournament Organizer
Current status: Sways forwards and creeping people out.
"Rasta's greatest weakness as a player is moot because this War will not take place in April." - kevkev60614

tharsonius

Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360110#msg360110
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:12 am »
I voted No. I mean if ppl build many Rainbow decks there are enough counter to handle it. And im also againt setting skillcosts higher. I mean gold and platinum league are not meant to be easy, their rewards are very high  so they should be more challenging then a fg. I really like the system its  way more challenging then before.

digitalevil1

Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360120#msg360120
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »
I personally don't like building rainbow decks, so my platinum decks are usually only ever mono with a different mark for creature skills etc.
I also agree that going up against the same deck over and over again is boring, but rainbow decks (in my opinion) are usually quite simple to counter.
So if you are coming across too many of them, just build a counter deck :).

I had 6 or 7 straight wins yesterday on platinum and a couple EM's, just because I knew what I'd likely be up against.

Offline bucky1andonly

• Reputation Power: 9
  • bucky1andonly is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360128#msg360128
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2011, 01:03:41 pm »
LESS QQ MORE PEWPEW!!

works for CSS should work here :P

big font = important, must read

PLATINUM REWARD IS ENORMOUS, THAT UNTO ITSELF IS MORE THAN ENOUGH REASON TO NEVER BAN A CARD

Offline Xenocidius

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Fear the Darkness ...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeFavorite Community Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Design a Competition Competition
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360129#msg360129
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2011, 01:08:05 pm »
I personally think only Shards should be banned.

SoDs become incredibly OP with 200 HP and Miracle, and I've seen SoGs in at least half the decks I've played against in Silver.

There's a reason why FGs don't have Shards.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Offline coinich

• Reputation Power: 19
  • coinich is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.coinich is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.coinich is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360134#msg360134
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2011, 01:37:17 pm »
I personally think only Shards should be banned.

SoDs become incredibly OP with 200 HP and Miracle, and I've seen SoGs in at least half the decks I've played against in Silver.

There's a reason why FGs don't have Shards.
Shards are absolutely no more powerful in a 200hp environment than they are in a 100hp environment.  If anything, it just means that Miracle is more powerful when you have more health to heal.  Arena challenger decks are already bringing more permanent control as it is.

Offline bucky1andonly

• Reputation Power: 9
  • bucky1andonly is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360135#msg360135
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 01:42:45 pm »
And I believe that reason is, not because of the usage, but in the early days, there weren't as many shards, so putting them into fg decks would only have increased the number of shards drastically, and considering they are more rare than weapons, as a developer, you wouldn't want your game rampant with shards in the early goings.  But now, I don't see any reason why some of the fgs can't have their decks changed a bit to incorporate some shards.  The community now has lots, and are fairly easy to come by.

And again, refer to the extra large text in my previous post.  If you haven't played any FGS yet, then you don't know how much money you make for an average game.  It is 4-5x more when you win against platinum and fgs you can win upped cards. 

----TIP----
If you can't seem to win against platinum level, try a lower one.  If you cannot beat bronze, then maybe your deck sucks.

Offline Xenocidius

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Xenocidius is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Fear the Darkness ...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeFavorite Community Member of 2011Weekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Design a Competition Competition
Re: Banning Supernova and Quantum Tower from Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28129.msg360143#msg360143
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 01:58:34 pm »
And I believe that reason is, not because of the usage, but in the early days, there weren't as many shards, so putting them into fg decks would only have increased the number of shards drastically, and considering they are more rare than weapons, as a developer, you wouldn't want your game rampant with shards in the early goings.  But now, I don't see any reason why some of the fgs can't have their decks changed a bit to incorporate some shards.  The community now has lots, and are fairly easy to come by.

And again, refer to the extra large text in my previous post.  If you haven't played any FGS yet, then you don't know how much money you make for an average game.  It is 4-5x more when you win against platinum and fgs you can win upped cards. 

----TIP----
If you can't seem to win against platinum level, try a lower one.  If you cannot beat bronze, then maybe your deck sucks.
I believe that FGs aren't even allowed Shards. I'm not sure though, it's something only Zanz can clarify. As for decks, I've tried JMZ classic and several CCYB variants, and although Silver is somewhat easy, Gold isn't - again, mostly because of Shards.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

blarg: