*Author

Offline Daytripper

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Daytripper is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Transferred veteran
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257769#msg257769
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 03:37:01 pm »
Nice post Chemist, it always helps to have some more in depth stories and examples.

As for micro and macro evolution, I am not sure what you're saying flies. Micro evolution refers to smalll changes, typically over a short period of time. There is no reason why micro evolution must lead to macro evolution. Some species have actually stayed very stable over millions of years. I think it would be rare but it isn't impossible. Just as long as the situation doesn't demand any change. After all a statistical law says populations enjoy returning to the avarage. That means the right situation could actually nullify the genetic drift. The mutations are less numerous and the standard model keeps 'winning,'' since it is in essence the best model.
Shards aren't overpowered, as long as you have them yourself.

Offline az4rel

• Reputation Power: 4
  • az4rel is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257778#msg257778
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 03:56:51 pm »
This brings me to my last point. Science works by observing. Science basically is study and observation and applied science is using the knowledge we gain from the scientific method. Thus the only way we can show evolution to be true is by observing it happening, not by making conjectures about the past based on similarities in the present. Evolution is still in the theory state, not the fact state. If an evolutionists comes to me and shows me an evolution of one species into another then I will believe in evolution. In the meantime I am not inclined or obligated to wait billions of years to see it.
well we can wait together, you wait for the evolution while I wait for god to do something.

I must add that we live in a world of incertitude everything is out of our league for prove or to change.

I can't prove evolution did not happen.
I can't prove god is not a fat guy dreaming about our world.
you can't eider. but supposing things is fun.

and religious debates are funny to read so let the show continue.

Offline Chemist

• Chemist is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257786#msg257786
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 04:15:37 pm »
One thing I thing that is worth noting is that micro evolution and macro evolution are not two distinctly different things. They are the same thing, just on different time scales. Basically

Micro Evolution + Micro Evolution + ... + Micro Evolution = Macro Evolution
I want to pose a question related to that (and it will give me notifications to this topic as well yay!). A whole bunch of micro evolutions equal 1 macro evolution, is what youre saying correct? So there is a difference in the way that 1 is different to 100. They may both be numbers, but you cant just take nothing, and add 1 to it to get 100. It requires some work.
Uhm what? (0+) 1+1+...+1 = 100 seems fine to me. Lots of small changes can add up.

Now I think everyone agrees on evolution as far as the fact that things change, and adapt to their surrounding.
However we may not agree as to how creatures adapt. We're saying that populations adapt via natural selection, whereas individuals don't. You're more of the opinion that Lamarck was right (or at least you were in that previous thread).

The problem comes when you talk about origin of species. For species to have an origin, they had to have originally not existed, and so they had to have came about by chance. This is why I consider bio-genesis to be an important part of evolution, although many disagree.
Well people have every reason to disagree: this isn't part of what evolution is covering at all. For the theory of gravity to hold true it doesn't matter in the least how the Universe came to be. What matters is that we have tons of evidence for the theory of gravity being true. Equally it doesn't matter in the least how the first life form came to be for the theory of evolution, all that matters is that we have tons of evidence for the theory being true (along with how there's no evidence against it and how it has predictive power).

Now, to someone who believes in evolution, as I pointed out earlier, the only difference between micro and macro is the amount, however, for someone who disagrees with the origin of species, micro and macro is more like a parabolic curve, where it has that certain point that it will never reach even though it will forever get closer and closer. However, in helps to keep in mind, that regardless of what the scientific definition of macro evolution is, when the avg ID proponent uses this phrase, they are using it, not in reference to a Siamese cat turning into a calico cat, but that cat turning into a dog.
Like I said you don't understand "microevolution". If you did you'd understand how it adds up over time.

As for bear dogs splitting into bears and wolves that's something that can be inferred from the fossil record. Speaking of the fossil record, I'd love to see you comment on this:

Radiometric carbon dating allows us to determine the age of any individual fossil found. When we put all our fossils together and sort them by determined age we see which animals were around on the Earth how far ago. One hundred million years ago, for instance, the Earth was dominated by dinosaurs. We know that because from the complete collection of all the 100 million year old fossils ever found we can see:
-we have lots of dinosaur fossils from back then
-dinosaurs are the biggest animals we have from that time
Of further interest is:
-there weren't many mammals around back then, only some small, rat-like ones (not like today's rats, though)
-there were no birds around back then

And when I say there is NO SINGLE 100 million year old fossil of an elephant/bear/cow/horse/chicken/falcon/ostrich/etc, I of course mean there are no older ones either. We have dozens of thousands of dinosaur fossils that old, though... The first "bigger" mammals started emerging in the record after the dinosaurs vanished some about 61 million years ago (there are no dinosaur fossils younger than that). Of course the first of those didn't look (very) much like the animals we know today, but as you look at ever younger fossils they start looking more familiar. The first bird-like fossils showed up a few million years before the extinction of the dinosaurs, but (surprise, surprise) had many reptilian features as well (they sort of looked like a bird/dinosaur crossbreed).

This is far from the only part or feature of the fossil record that supports evolution, but I suspect it should suffice for now :

The fossil record is the observed evidence. We can see that there were no elephants around 100 million years ago, but lots and lots of dinosaurs were. Evolution can explain this easily. Now how would you go about providing an explanation without it?
Now as to theory>fact, as I have stated before in another topic, I consider this a bunch of bullcrap. A theory can be proven wrong, a fact cant. 1+1 will always equal 2. That is a fact. The paint on my wall is a beige shade. That is a fact.

You are driving down a road, so far all the houses you have seen, which are all in the same neigborhood, have all been green. You are 99% of the way down the street. You have viewed the contract that says that in this neigborhood on this street, your house has to be green. You therefor assume that the final house is green. You get to the final house, and it is....
redOh wow, they have a special contract saying that there house can be any color they want.

That final house, although all the evidence pointed to it being green, was not green.  You may say "well you didnt say that there was a special contract" and youre right I didnt. That special contract is relative to the hole in any theory that has been proven wrong.
I believe I've also covered this here several times, but here goes once more: theories are never proven. They are, however, supported by evidence. Evolution has so much evidence going for it that it's ridiculous how some people still dismiss it as if it were a religion.

I'm not sure I see the point in using an analogy here, but I guess I'll play along:

So there are two streets with the same kind of contract. If evolution is predicting all houses are green (and may eventually need to be amended slightly), then ID is telling us that all the houses in the neghbouring street (which we can not see clearly from here) are blue. We have photos of some of the houses from that street, and they are all green. But ID has never let that bother it, no sir. We have the fossil record. And like I've asked above: if evolution is wrong, how do you explain it?

Nice post Chemist, it always helps to have some more in depth stories and examples.

As for micro and macro evolution, I am not sure what you're saying flies. Micro evolution refers to smalll changes, typically over a short period of time. There is no reason why micro evolution must lead to macro evolution. Some species have actually stayed very stable over millions of years. I think it would be rare but it isn't impossible. Just as long as the situation doesn't demand any change. After all a statistical law says populations enjoy returning to the avarage. That means the right situation could actually nullify the genetic drift. The mutations are less numerous and the standard model keeps 'winning,'' since it is in essence the best model.
Thanks.

Now sure, natural selection doesn't need to lead to speciation, yet it is easy enough to set up conditions under which it undoubtedly will. What you need is essentially just a population in which the members of two subpopulations will accumulate different mutations over time. The rules for how the small changes spread over a (sub)population remain the same. The longer they are subject to different evolutionary pressures, the more changes they accumulate. At some point they're so different we start classifying them as a different subspecies, then different species, genus, etc.

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257864#msg257864
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 06:42:13 pm »
One thing I thing that is worth noting is that micro evolution and macro evolution are not two distinctly different things. They are the same thing, just on different time scales. Basically

Micro Evolution + Micro Evolution + ... + Micro Evolution = Macro Evolution
I want to pose a question related to that (and it will give me notifications to this topic as well yay!). A whole bunch of micro evolutions equal 1 macro evolution, is what youre saying correct? So there is a difference in the way that 1 is different to 100. They may both be numbers, but you cant just take nothing, and add 1 to it to get 100. It requires some work.
Uhm what? (0+) 1+1+...+1 = 100 seems fine to me. Lots of small changes can add up.

I was actually saying just that.... That the difference between the two is just the amount of work needed to get it done.

Well people have every reason to disagree: this isn't part of what evolution is covering at all. For the theory of gravity to hold true it doesn't matter in the least how the Universe came to be. What matters is that we have tons of evidence for the theory of gravity being true. Equally it doesn't matter in the least how the first life form came to be for the theory of evolution, all that matters is that we have tons of evidence for the theory being true (along with how there's no evidence against it and how it has predictive power).
You seem to be missing where my point lies. Im still not really in a debating mood though, so I will just say that I will get back to my point behind bio-genesis.

However we may not agree as to how creatures adapt. We're saying that populations adapt via natural selection, whereas individuals don't. You're more of the opinion that Lamarck was right (or at least you were in that previous thread).
Sigh. No, not in the least bit. That was one of the points I covered in the last thread just to cover it since it was what I was taught in school. As I stated in the last thread, if it was disproven, then good for it. No point in even binging it up again.
I believe I've also covered this here several times, but here goes once more: theories are never proven. They are, however, supported by evidence. Evolution has so much evidence going for it that it's ridiculous how some people still dismiss it as if it were a religion.
My point lies in how evolution is treated. It is treated as a fact by many. I dont consider it a fact, I consider it a theory. Now, ill be flamed on how a theory is higher than a fact, but I have already made my point on that.

So there are two streets with the same kind of contract. If evolution is predicting all houses are green (and may eventually need to be amended slightly), then ID is telling us that all the houses in the neghbouring street (which we can not see clearly from here) are blue. We have photos of some of the houses from that street, and they are all green. But ID has never let that bother it, no sir. We have the fossil record. And like I've asked above: if evolution is wrong, how do you explain it?
Ill get to it, just wanted to make sure you know im not ignoring it. as stated, not really i a debated mood today. I dont have work, so Ive been real laid back, and dont feel like getting into a serious debate.

The one thing I will say is this. Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesnt mean they dont understand what you are saying. i actually understand all of the things you are saying quite clearly, but I don't agree that is how it actually is. And you can deny me understanding all you want, but it will be nothing more than character assassination, and pointless.
This sig was interrupted by Joe Biden

Offline Chemist

• Chemist is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257876#msg257876
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2011, 07:12:04 pm »

I was actually saying just that.... That the difference between the two is just the amount of work time needed to get it done.
Fixed.

My point lies in how evolution is treated. It is treated as a fact by many. I dont consider it a fact, I consider it a theory. Now, ill be flamed on how a theory is higher than a fact, but I have already made my point on that.
So do you equally not consider the theory of gravity to be a fact, just on the off chance that it could, potentially be false? Because in terms of supporting evidence == how certain it is that they are correct, these two theories rank about the same.

And it's fine by me if you do, but then I find it weird that you at the same time consider religion to be a fact just on the off chance that it might be true.

Ill get to it, just wanted to make sure you know im not ignoring it. as stated, not really i a debated mood today. I dont have work, so Ive been real laid back, and dont feel like getting into a serious debate.
Well then I'll be looking forward to your explanation of the missing elephant fossils.

funplay

Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257913#msg257913
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2011, 08:14:30 pm »
My point lies in how evolution is treated. It is treated as a fact by many. I dont consider it a fact, I consider it a theory.
I didnt follow all posts during this (and the many other) discussions, but im curious about a thing:

How should a theory, that hasnt been disproven but has many, many supporting elements, be treated?

QuantumT

Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257936#msg257936
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2011, 08:57:22 pm »
My point lies in how evolution is treated. It is treated as a fact by many. I dont consider it a fact, I consider it a theory.
I didnt follow all posts during this (and the many other) discussions, but im curious about a thing:

How should a theory, that hasnt been disproven but has many, many supporting elements, be treated?
In science, theory means something different than it does in every day conversation. It means something that is able to explain what we observe and can be used to make predictions about what you would observe.

Theories will almost certainly never be quite correct. However, just because they're not exactly correct doesn't mean they're completely worthless. This might sound weird to some, but right and wrong aren't absolutes, they're a continuum. Isaac Asimov talks about this idea in something he wrote called The Relativity of Wrong (http://chem.tufts.edu/AnswersInScience/RelativityofWrong.htm). I'll talk about the example he uses, which is the shape of the earth.

At first, people thought the earth was flat.
Then they thought it was spherical.
Then they thought it was ellipsoidal (it bulges at the equator).
Now we think it's pear shaped (the south bulges more).

Each of the first three ideas were wrong, but they were all "more right" than the previous one.

Offline EvaRia

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I~am~Eva, ~Chillwind~ I~am~Ria, ~Searwind~
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257941#msg257941
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 09:06:05 pm »
Actually, it's a common misconception that we ever thought the earth was flat.

QuantumT

Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg257944#msg257944
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 09:12:03 pm »
Actually, it's a common misconception that we ever thought the earth was flat.
Many ancient civilizations had this view point. It's talked about here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth#Classical_world).

Even, if they didn't, the point remains valid.

Offline Kamietsu

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg262295#msg262295
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 11:39:56 pm »
I can explain the 'preaching' part! :D

There are preachers in everything. How many of you have met or read a story about a crazed Twilight fan who goes on and on trying to get you into twilight? Plenty of you, that's how many! Preaching someone into religion or evolution is no different than getting someone to watch your favorite show. It's something you really enjoy, or has great belief in, and you want to share that with other people. Some people do it well, while many others do it poorly. I believe in evolution, yet have had people try to convince me of their own ideas about evolution. That's right, I've had evolutionist preach evolution to me, an evolutionist. But then again, that's no different from a Christian preaching to a Catholic... in theory :P

Also, be careful when you use 'prove' and 'science' together. Science doesn't prove things as much as they find evidence that supports a (group of) theoy or hypothesis.
╔╦╦═╦══╦╗  ( ̄ー ̄) --Snorlax says:
║═╣╬║║║║║    Eat your shower, brush your toothpaste, take your teeth.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline doublecross

• Reputation Power: 9
  • doublecross is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Did you miss me?
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg265104#msg265104
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 12:10:58 am »
I am not religions, and I preach philosophies all the time, and ideas in general.

I do not preach atheism though, and, unless I am in a terrible mood (which I do not remember being in in the last 10 years), I will not try and turn someone away from religion.

However, I do understand the concept of why people preach. If you believe something strongly, and truly believe that a better world is one where more people believe the same things you do, it makes sense for you to not try and persuade people, and, if you believe that strongly, it would actually be illogical and immoral (from your own standpoint), not to try and convert people to whatever idea it is  you feel so strongly about,
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. Speak the truth even when your voice falters.

Offline vrt

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Evolution Questions https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=20255.msg266931#msg266931
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2011, 09:23:40 am »
I am, however, this skeptical about theories people push on me and beliefs that would require drastic change in my life.
I had the sudden urge to respond to this.

During your lifetime, many important scientific theories have been developed and supported by evidence. In example, we've found evidence to back up that there was once water, and therefore possibly life, on Mars. There's even theories that there's possibly still polar ice under Mars' surface. We've adjusted Einstein's relativity theory to accord for the speed of light, thanks to extensive testing by a group of Australian researchers. Did this drastically change your life? I'm fairly certain it didn't - lest you be a UFO fanatic, of course.

If you would, hypothetically, take off the eyepatches and look at all the evidence to support the theory of evolution, and in fact accept it as true; nothing changes. You'll simply be educating yourself - might be able to have some fun conversations with friends on occassion. I don't see any drastic change in your life.

Even if for some reason, religion would be absolutely proven false in its entirity, your life wouldn't change much at all still. Sure, perhaps if you're a priest/rabbi/ayatollah, you'd need to get an actual job, but that's purely practical. If such a thing were to happen, you'd simply learn what's there then: How we came to be, what purposes we give ourselves, and what standards we hold ourselves to. This, in my personal opinion, is not founded in religion, but in culture, science, and other things religions are used as a surrogate for.

I kind of derailed a bit there, but really, rethink what you're saying: No theory would ever change your life as drastically as you're making it out to be.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

anything
blarg: