*Author

SeddyRocky

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114481#msg114481
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2010, 07:02:06 pm »
Not trying to actually do the title of this topic here, but more out of curiosity, as I'm sure there is a good explanation:

How is the historical time line of the Bible accurate with for example scientific evidence of life before time estimated time of Adam and Eve/life on earth? (I could have gotten this completely wrong, but seeing as life on Earth could have existed for millions of years before humans/god/the bible came into the picture, or is that simply not so/scientific data in this area should be disregarded?)

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114582#msg114582
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:09 pm »
Its not my own common sense. Common sense can only do one thing... logical thinking. God isnt logical at all.
There's a book I'm reading right now called "Emotional Intelligence" that disagrees with you.  The author describes common sense as that which mediates between where our reason ends and where reality begins (not his words, he took a lot longer to say it).  Our brain stores experiences in the limbic (emotional) center, and what we would describe as "common sense" or intuition is a decision-making process by which the list of choices is narrowed down by the limbic brain before the cortex (rational) brain steps in.

Generally speaking, boiling the human brain (eww...) down to rationality is oversimplistic.  Our brain is half rational and half emotional, and far from being counter-reason, emotions often inform our reason when it falls short - as it must do in the question of a deity.

Offline BluePriestTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114587#msg114587
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2010, 09:22:22 pm »
Not trying to actually do the title of this topic here, but more out of curiosity, as I'm sure there is a good explanation:

How is the historical time line of the Bible accurate with for example scientific evidence of life before time estimated time of Adam and Eve/life on earth? (I could have gotten this completely wrong, but seeing as life on Earth could have existed for millions of years before humans/god/the bible came into the picture, or is that simply not so/scientific data in this area should be disregarded?)
As far as things living before Adam and Eve, many people have different viewpoints. Ill first mention this in case you arent aware of the "gap theory" and go from there. People take the Genesis creation in 2 ways.
1)Literally 6 days
2)The gap theory where the 6 days was only to give us a reference and an idea, where as each day literally could have been millions/billions of years.
And its worth mentioning that the hebrew word used never literally means a day, but only a span of time.

God was in the picture from the beginning, but many Christians interpret what happened from there differently.
This sig was interrupted by Joe Biden

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114592#msg114592
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2010, 09:28:23 pm »
And its worth mentioning that the hebrew word used never literally means a day, but only a span of time.
It does when coupled with a number.  Left to itself the word is vague, but when seen with a number it's always interpreted as 24 hours.

Not to mention Genesis 1 puts birds before land mammals, which is backward according to evolution.

Innominate

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114931#msg114931
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2010, 07:56:03 am »
have you followed links and read? It explains it. Click where it says ANSWER.

The discovery of the Ebla archive in northern Syria in the 1970s has shown the Biblical writings concerning the Patriarchs to be viable. Documents written on clay tablets from around 2300 B.C. demonstrate that personal and place names in the Patriarchal accounts are genuine. The name “Canaan” was in use in Ebla, a name critics once said was not used at that time and was used incorrectly in the early chapters of the Bible. The word tehom (“the deep”) in Genesis 1:2 was said to be a late word demonstrating the late writing of the creation story. “Tehom” was part of the vocabulary at Ebla, in use some 800 years before Moses. Ancient customs reflected in the stories of the Patriarchs have also been found in clay tablets from Nuzi and Mari.
The Hittites were once thought to be a Biblical legend, until their capital and records were discovered at Bogazkoy, Turkey.
Many thought the Biblical references to Solomon's wealth were greatly exaggerated. Recovered records from the past show that wealth in antiquity was concentrated with the king and Solomon's prosperity was entirely feasible.
It was once claimed there was no Assyrian king named Sargon as recorded in Isaiah 20:1, because this name was not known in any other record. Then, Sargon's palace was discovered in Khorsabad, Iraq. The very event mentioned in Isaiah 20, his capture of Ashdod, was recorded on the palace walls. What is more, fragments of a stela memorializing the victory were found at Ashdod itself.
Another king who was in doubt was Belshazzar, king of Babylon, named in Daniel 5. The last king of Babylon was Nabonidus according to recorded history. Tablets were found showing that Belshazzar was Nabonidus' son who served as coregent in Babylon. Thus, Belshazzar could offer to make Daniel “third highest ruler in the kingdom” (Dan. 5:16) for reading the handwriting on the wall, the highest available position. Here we see the “eye-witness” nature of the Biblical record, as is so often brought out by the discoveries of archaeology.
You'll note that I didn't claim any of the events you've listed were inaccurate. The Bible's later passages (after Judges, really) are most likely contemporary records of actual events. Some events are most likely exaggerated - like God killing a million Ethiopians (2 Chronicles 14:9-13), Solomon's wealth (he allegedly received 3,300 tonnes of gold, which is twice as much as we produce in a year these days with modern machinery and a population at least 120 times as large), flooding the entire world, etc. - but contain nuggets of factual truth, much like any nation's own history. The story of the Exodus however does not have a single scrap of truth in it. We can say without a shadow of a doubt that the Israelites were never in Egypt en masse.

As far as things living before Adam and Eve, many people have different viewpoints. Ill first mention this in case you arent aware of the "gap theory" and go from there. People take the Genesis creation in 2 ways.
1)Literally 6 days
2)The gap theory where the 6 days was only to give us a reference and an idea, where as each day literally could have been millions/billions of years.

God was in the picture from the beginning, but many Christians interpret what happened from there differently.
Sorry, but the bolded part is false. The word translated as "day" throughout Genesis 1-2:3 is yōm, and it is translated - in the KJV - as the word "day" 2008 times and "daily" 44 times out of 2287 occurrences in total. It is translated as "chronicles" 37 times, "time" 64 times, "ever" 18 times, "year" 14 times and a few others with fewer occurrences. It appears in thousands of verses with the exact literal meaning of the word day, including in obviously historical accounts. While the gap theory is extremely popular, it has no exegetical basis.

VerseTalents of Gold
1 Kings 9:14120
1 Kings 9:26-28420
1 Kings 10:10120
1 Kings 10:14666**
1 Chronicles 22:14100,000
1 Chronicles 29:4-53,000
1 Chronicles 29:75,000
Total109,326
**sometimes said to be per year

Note that the total could be higher if he got the 666 from Sheba was a recurrent income, but I'm assuming it was a one-time thing. The Israelites used the Babylonian talent, which was 30.3 kg. This gives us a total of 3,312,577.8 kg.

iampostal

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114962#msg114962
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2010, 10:25:55 am »
wow i didnt say it says in the bible the world is flat or disease caused by sin i said people who lived in taht time believed these things.....thank you again for making my point you read d what you wanted to read i assume you read the bible the same way thus allowing passages that are utterly abhorrent to be see in yuor all glowing perfect light. read what it says not what yopu want it to say

iampostal

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg114968#msg114968
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2010, 10:37:54 am »
but despite all this lets just use logic to show its note the inspired word of god...god you believe created the universe atsrs planets man animals tec...right?But yet he couldnt be bothered to make a book and send it down??he moves  mountains..but cant conjur e up a book instead he has others write it down (always alone under fear of penalty of death -how convenient). it also contains nothing inspired of showing any sort of future prophecy//nothing that an author of th time wouldnt know. but for me the proof is the 10 commandmaents as its the only part of the bible written supposwedly by god himself...he spends the first 4 making sure he is obeyed (strange an all powerful god required this) and offers no protection for women or children but makes wure you dont covet your neighbors wealth. this to me is so obvious an attempt byy men of the time to protect theri own worth and propertry and keep the rest in line...if teh big 10 are the best god can do he is a severe under achiever

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg115501#msg115501
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2010, 10:29:29 pm »
But yet he couldnt be bothered to make a book and send it down??
Typical of your oversimplification.  The answer should be obvious to anyone... the God the Bible describes uses miracles sparingly, and Christians maintain this is to leave room for faith to fill the gap.  If a big arm reaches out of the sky and puts a miles-wide book on the White House front lawn, people wouldn't have to decide whether to believe.  It's actually closely related to the question of the creation of free will, which was covered recently in another thread.

lawlmaster09

Re: Disprove the bible to me https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8621.msg119922#msg119922
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 02:48:16 pm »
Why don't they teach logic at schools these days?

blarg: