*Author

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg319878#msg319878
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »
If that's not sarcasm, you need to look at past events an their lengths.
I wasn't being sarcastic.  I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  From what I've seen of past events, they seem to be quite lengthy so are you saying

-Look at past events, they are long so thats what people like?  In that case i am trying to provide an alternative in case there are people who prefer quick events but there aren't any.

or are you saying

-Look at past events, there are plenty of short ones.  In which case i just haven't seen these.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Not nobody, look at tournaments, but even those last for a couple hours if you advance far in them.
If you just want a couple games, you go into PvP. Longer and more challenging events are more intriguing.

Event-->length
Events are meant to be more complex than a simple tournament.  Something that lasts a single round probably isn't ideal.  Try to expand on this if you can to make into something eventworthy.
Hmm well if events can't be short, is there some other kind of thing i can organize that is short but structured (not just pvp against random opponents or isolated duels without any special rules).
I like this event idea. Maybe you could extend it by having rounds in which 'Empire' gets a chance to build counters (story-wise maybe the Rebels have captured a significant strategic base so they now get to use upped cards).
Events are meant to be more complex than a simple tournament.  Something that lasts a single round probably isn't ideal.  Try to expand on this if you can to make into something eventworthy.
Okay, i am going to work on an extended format with multiple rounds.  I like the idea that the Empire controls the 12 resources at the start, but after the first round, any matches the Rebels win allow them to produce a limited number of upgraded cards of that element in subsequent rounds.  Plus some kind of Empire counterattack.  I hope to have an edit up later today or tomorrow.
It may also be interesting to see if there is a way to combine this with the event at the link posted below as they both share a very similar theme.

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/board,274.0.html
While i surely am influenced by George Lucas's work, there are many cases of empires being overthrown by rebels.  I would prefer to keep this separate.

Offline RootRanger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 51
  • RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.RootRanger brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • R A I N B R O S
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake10th Trials - Master of FireElemental Conquest WinnerWriting Competition - Across(tic) the World of ElementsWeekly Tournament Winner1st Grandmaster Battle Winner - FireThere Can Be Only One - 2016 WinnerGold DonorChampionship League 2/2015 2nd Place9th Trials - Master of FireElements: A Game of Politics - WinnerEnder of War War #8 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2013 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathChampionship League 3/2011 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerWeekly PvP Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 2nd PlaceWeekly PvP Tournament Winner
Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg319886#msg319886
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 10:26:52 pm »
What I'm saying is that events are more than one game for a reason.
It would be a waste offing to create a subforum, create a signup thread, include a start and end date, organize teams, have players build decks, have players buy cards for decks, have players test decks, have players play their matches, and have them post their decks just so one game with no prize can be played.
This is why events are more than one round.
Somehow still around, somewhat

Offline Sevs

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • My favorite element is Oxygen
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg319894#msg319894
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 10:46:55 pm »
I think a counter could be pretty easy to develop in 15 min. but what if the rebels were disclosed 5-10 random cards from the deck and the rebel team is given a couple days to prepare?
"Elements is the greatest game ever made" - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg319942#msg319942
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 11:53:10 pm »
What I'm saying is that events are more than one game for a reason.
It would be a waste offing to create a subforum, create a signup thread, include a start and end date, organize teams, have players build decks, have players buy cards for decks, have players test decks, have players play their matches, and have them post their decks just so one game with no prize can be played.
This is why events are more than one round.
I see your point.

There are two things i am trying to accomplish:

- First, i imagine there are players out there who don't have a lot of time to devote to Elements but who still would like to try out variations other than vanilla.  I would like to provide them a way to try out interesting variations without making a big commitment. For this maybe i should be trying to organize something like an event but not call it an event?

The kind of thing i'm imagining doesn't necessarily need its own subforum. It would need a signup thread.  There would be just one date so the start and end date would be the same.  I would happily do all the organization of teams myself, which would be quite minimal just randomizing matchups (obviously i'm not an official tournament organizer but since there would be no prizes i don't think there would be any problem).  Building and posting decks is pretty low effort.  There might or might not be a need to buy cards or test decks, depending on how competitive everyone is being.

So really it could be as simple as building one deck (subject to whatever variation), finding out who your opponent is and playing, say, 4-7 games.  Its simple, can fit into the life of any player who has an hour to spare, and allows players to try out new things instead of just regular pvp.

- Second i'm interested in finding out whether (and how often or under what conditions etc) a deck restricted to unupgraded cards can be built to counter an upgraded deck.  Not really sure how to go about this.

I thought i would try to combine these two things into this single 'event' but maybe that was a bad idea, i don't know.

I think a counter could be pretty easy to develop in 15 min. but what if the rebels were disclosed 5-10 random cards from the deck and the rebel team is given a couple days to prepare?
I don't think 5-10 cards would be enough to put up a decent fight.

P.S. I'm still working on the new version with multiple rounds.

Genuinous

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg319951#msg319951
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01:20 am »

Disclosed --> cannot be used

For example a Ray of Light deck would no allow mass CC to wipe out all little RoLs. Making it more challenging to counter.

Another point: Fully upped decks would mean devoted and experienced players. If such players are interested in this event, they will be willing to sacrifice time and effort for an interesting event.

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg320091#msg320091
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 02:22:50 am »
disclose: To expose to the knowledge of others; to make known, state openly, reveal

There is little point in speculating what sevs meant.

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg320122#msg320122
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 03:03:01 am »
It may also be interesting to see if there is a way to combine this with the event at the link posted below as they both share a very similar theme.

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/board,274.0.html
EDIT: added guy fawkes mask to distinguish from star wars and make it more like that natalie portman movie

(v for vendetta)

:P

Offline Sevs

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • My favorite element is Oxygen
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg320153#msg320153
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2011, 04:15:15 am »

Disclosed --> cannot be used

For example a Ray of Light deck would no allow mass CC to wipe out all little RoLs. Making it more challenging to counter.

Another point: Fully upped decks would mean devoted and experienced players. If such players are interested in this event, they will be willing to sacrifice time and effort for an interesting event.
i meant it the way Chromatophore assumed. i mean with 2 days of preparation and knowing 1/3 of the deck you are against, i think it would be pretty easy get a good understanding of the deck and to come up with something really effective.

I mean if you see a couple entropy pendulums and discords and a charger, you are going to think of discord black hole and prepare accordingly. like if you see fire bolts you might bring earthquakes.

however you could also insert some sabotage part to it and the rebels can choose a few cards that the empire cannot use this round

Just my opinion and after all it is your event and it is your idea and we should support it

"Elements is the greatest game ever made" - Abraham Lincoln

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg320480#msg320480
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:28 pm »
i meant it the way Chromatophore assumed. i mean with 2 days of preparation and knowing 1/3 of the deck you are against, i think it would be pretty easy get a good understanding of the deck and to come up with something really effective.

I mean if you see a couple entropy pendulums and discords and a charger, you are going to think of discord black hole and prepare accordingly. like if you see fire bolts you might bring earthquakes.

however you could also insert some sabotage part to it and the rebels can choose a few cards that the empire cannot use this round

Just my opinion and after all it is your event and it is your idea and we should support it
I can see how this could work.  I am thinking of giving the Rebels resources that they can use for spying/assaults/producing upgraded cards if they capture an Empire base.  There could be different costs associated with exposing and/or sabotaging different number of cards of an opponent deck.

There would still be the logistical problem of how to select random cards from the deck.  There might be some easy way to do this that i'm overlooking.

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg320611#msg320611
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2011, 08:36:58 pm »
Version 2.0 is up and ready to be critiqued/lauded/mocked/etc/etc :)

Genuinous

Re: Rebels vs Empire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=24995.msg320620#msg320620
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:36 pm »
Version 2.0 is up and ready to be critiqued/lauded/mocked/etc/etc :)
5 Resources for 1 upped card is not worth it.
Changing only 1 card for the Empire players is not good again.....They should be allowed to construct new decks for each turn. Otherwise by Round 2 Rebels have 8 days!! to build counter decks. (1 card makes no difference, even if you meant 1 type of card)

anything
blarg: