*Author

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: The government can't do anything right https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30495.msg391083#msg391083
« Reply #96 on: September 09, 2011, 04:46:31 am »
Long story short: we all agree that charity can't actually do the job that government does.

You're wasting your breath talking about it.

The only real question is: should we even accept the notion that poor people deserve to live?  OldTrees thinks he has a good reason why not.  Anyone else?
To add detail for the other readers:
Essence and I are currently debating whether "People are entitled to life" vs any of the other possibilities like "People are required to help sustain life", "Sustaining life is Morally praiseworthy", "Sustaining life is Morally neutral unless morally relevant details are involved" or "Sustaining life is Morally forbidden".

A) Positive Right       "People are entitled to life"
B) Positive Duty        "People are required to help sustain life"
C) Supererogatory    "Sustaining life is Morally praiseworthy"
D) Neutral                 "Sustaining life is Morally neutral unless morally relevant details are involved"
E) Immoral                "Sustaining life is Morally forbidden".

Essence is arguing A is true. I am arguing A is false AND therefore one of B thru E is true.
I personally wander between B and C but hold myself personally to B.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline russianspy1234

• Reputation Power: 26
  • russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Crucible Bombarder
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeArt Competition - Meta Master Card Design Competition: New Year's ResolutionsSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elementshifted 3rd Birthday Cake -Fire-DIAC Ray of SunshineSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: The government can't do anything right https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30495.msg391226#msg391226
« Reply #97 on: September 09, 2011, 02:37:38 pm »
As OT went over, welfare programs see a small percentage of the money actually get to people who need it - versus charities, where the rate is nearly 100%.
citation needed.  maybe there are some charities that operate somewhere near that, but ive seen commercials for charities being PROUD of their 80% efficiency.
My Portfolio
Brawl 7 is occurring.  Come follow along.

Re: The government can't do anything right https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30495.msg391397#msg391397
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:42 pm »
It depends on the kind of charity.  The commercials you see are likely overseas operations, which require a large overhead to operate; meanwhile, inner city charities have a very small overhead, little to no wage due to a large volunteer base, and spend almost all their money on services.  I've volunteered at a soup kitchen (though they don't actually serve any soup there) in Indianapolis that's run almost entirely by volunteers.  Their building was donated, I think; the daily non-food supplies don't cost any more than what they'd cost if the people being served had to maintain a kitchen in their own home.  They spend nearly every penny they get directly on their services.

Offline russianspy1234

• Reputation Power: 26
  • russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.russianspy1234 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Crucible Bombarder
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeArt Competition - Meta Master Card Design Competition: New Year's ResolutionsSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elementshifted 3rd Birthday Cake -Fire-DIAC Ray of SunshineSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: The government can't do anything right https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30495.msg391402#msg391402
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2011, 10:16:44 pm »
It depends on the kind of charity.  The commercials you see are likely overseas operations, which require a large overhead to operate; meanwhile, inner city charities have a very small overhead, little to no wage due to a large volunteer base, and spend almost all their money on services.  I've volunteered at a soup kitchen (though they don't actually serve any soup there) in Indianapolis that's run almost entirely by volunteers.  Their building was donated, I think; the daily non-food supplies don't cost any more than what they'd cost if the people being served had to maintain a kitchen in their own home.  They spend nearly every penny they get directly on their services.
thats good.  how many people can they support though?  there are only so many people out there willing and able to volunteer
My Portfolio
Brawl 7 is occurring.  Come follow along.

Re: The government can't do anything right https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=30495.msg391413#msg391413
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:55 pm »
They serve a large part of downtown Indianapolis, they're one of the bigger pantries/kitchens/etc. out there - and they do other stuff too, I think they offer job training but I've only helped out in the kitchen.

anything
blarg: