*Author

Offline BloodshadowTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
  • Awards: Ultimate Profile WinnerOpposites Attract
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448128#msg448128
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2012, 12:55:56 am »
The god can simply mind control you into believing everything it says; credibility isn't an issue here.
To be or not to be, I can do both at once. Go learn quantum mechanics, n00b.

Offline Naesala

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448151#msg448151
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2012, 02:06:31 am »
The god can simply mind control you into believing everything it says; credibility isn't an issue here.
If he can mind control me, I dont have a choice anyways.
Your favorite Hotyugh

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448167#msg448167
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2012, 02:40:02 am »
So we are to believe that the entity has no free will and our choice will cause the entity to act one way or the other? As long as we believe the entity has free will with respect to this offer its response will not be predictable with our limited knowledge.

If we believe the entity has no free will with respect to this decision then the choice devolves into a conflict between
A) Theories of the Good (maximize good consequences)
B) Theories of the Right (only act on good will)
neither of which is without problems.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

• Legendary Member
  • Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Bloodshadow is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448246#msg448246
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2012, 05:59:48 am »
The god is giving you a choice. Hence the topic.

Offline Naesala

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Naesala brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448254#msg448254
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2012, 07:01:43 am »
The god is giving you a choice. Hence the topic.
I mean no offense in this, but the topic overall is feeling weaker as time goes on. The sadistic god has more and more issues that push me away from option A rather than towards it, and when the majority of people already agree that option B is superior, it doesnt help breed discussion. I have no reason to go with A at all unless I am mentally unsound or a religious fanatic. I love your threads blood but I dont think this one is going anywhere anymore :/
Your favorite Hotyugh

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448258#msg448258
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2012, 07:14:51 am »
Well now that almost everyone agrees with option B, why doesn't someone advocate for option A?

If we are lead to believe that the entity/god has no free will with respect to this choice then their claim becomes credible.
If their claim is credible then the question occurs about whether subjecting oneself to a nightmare and removing suffering or not do so.
As I said above this is a common disagreement between theories of the Good and theories of the Right.
Imagine something Good like pleasure, happiness, welfare, etc...
By sacrificing all your claim on this something Good you can force the entity to bestow everyone else with sufficiently unlimited quantities of this Good.
Theories of the Good claim the moral choice is the one that maximizes the total Good.
Theories of the Good would claim option A is the only moral choice.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

• Legendary Member
  • 吞天纳地,魔渡众生。天下万物,唯我至尊。
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg448657#msg448657
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2012, 08:19:21 am »
I mean no offense in this, but the topic overall is feeling weaker as time goes on. The sadistic god has more and more issues that push me away from option A rather than towards it, and when the majority of people already agree that option B is superior, it doesnt help breed discussion. I have no reason to go with A at all unless I am mentally unsound or a religious fanatic. I love your threads blood but I dont think this one is going anywhere anymore :/
Well, that's basically the reason I've stopped reading this thread, aside from it being tl;dr. It was apparent from the first page that everyone would choose B, and those thinking of choosing A would either try to trick the god somehow or otherwise invalidate the premises I gave. If I remember correctly, this thread was made when I was having one of my depressive episodes, so it's not like I really expect it to go anywhere.

Offline Freefall357

• Reputation Power: 1
  • Freefall357 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • -SOLITARE-
Re: A truly sadistic choice https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29035.msg452807#msg452807
« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2012, 12:58:33 am »
I would go with 'B'

I would then take up residence in a place with a LARGE parking lot or beside a major high-way and put up a theater-screen sized Poster that says "Yeah, I didn't feel like eternal-suffering for you...but, you should be really pissed at the god that can end all suffering at a whim and doesn't."

It does have me thinking though...How could someone take advantage of ALWAYS being locatable.

blarg: