*Author

Active members:
Manuel(1) MasterWalks(2)

Offline MasterWalksTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MasterWalks hides under a Cloak.
  • 12 year old mobile gamer
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.06.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team DarknessSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: The Elemental Cookbook - A Compendium and Comprehensive Compilation of Culinary Creations WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBronze DonorTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics Winner
Rap Starter Pack https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66974.msg1286585#msg1286585
« on: March 03, 2019, 12:56:20 am »
Here are some of my favorite rap artist right now i think everyone should listen to. I will include an album with each artist that i think represents them the best as well as a 'hit' song associated with that artist. Most of the artists i listen to tend to be year 2000+.
Format will be:
Artist - Album
Spoiler for Hidden:
Song

Gangsta Rap

Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron
Spoiler for Hidden:

A$AP Ferg - Trap Lord
Spoiler for Hidden:

A$AP Rocky - Long. Live. A$AP
Spoiler for Hidden:
Side note: A$AP Rockys 2 newest albums are trash and i do not recommend them.

Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
Spoiler for Hidden:

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Spoiler for Hidden:

J. Cole - 2014 Forrest Hills Drive
Spoiler for Hidden:

South Park Mexican(SPM) - Last Chair Violinist
Spoiler for Hidden:

Lyrical Miracles

Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
Spoiler for Hidden:

MF Doom - Madvillany
Spoiler for Hidden:

Wu Tang Clan - Wu Tang Forever
Spoiler for Hidden:

Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Spoiler for Hidden:

Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol. 1
Spoiler for Hidden:
Small warning; this songs lyrics are very graphic and is known as a very depressing/impacting song. Unless you want to be angry-sad i would take heed in listening to the linked song.

Alternative Rap/Pop Rap

Death Grips - Exmilitary
Spoiler for Hidden:

Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
Spoiler for Hidden:

Afroman - Because I Got High
Spoiler for Hidden:

This list is far from over. Just outta time at the moment. Will be completed later today or tomorrow
« Last Edit: March 03, 2019, 01:00:30 am by MasterWalks »
:gravity War 12
:darkness War 13
:fire War 14
Credit to Wyand for Profile Picture

Offline Manuel

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of AirSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #11 Winner - Team LifeCard Design Competition - Help Wanted WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Competition - ChampionSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Rap Starter Pack https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66974.msg1286659#msg1286659
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 11:22:25 pm »
there is a difference between being lyrically good and technically good:
doom is more on the techinical side, aesop is one of the best lyricist even if both are better than 90% of rappers in both things

wu tang is more on the delivery side, other than using a huge background made of real things (gangsta rap) and other imaginary things (kung fu movies or all the alter ego used in only build 4 cuban linx) they really don't shine in nothing, they simply say cool things in a cool way

asap rocky and ferg in gangsta rap lol asap rocky was on vogue, any list with gangsta rap should include uncle murda and freddie gibbs

probably best gangsta verse ever, only dmx in the gold days was closer to something like this

about alternative rap clipping totally deserve to be in the list, daveed diggs is the childish gambino for people with more than 16 years and a musical culture
jpegmafia is another artist who is signed (or was?) for the same label of death grips, his album veteran was one of the best of 2018

Offline MasterWalksTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 0
  • MasterWalks hides under a Cloak.
  • 12 year old mobile gamer
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.12.06.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWar #13 Winner - Team DarknessSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: The Elemental Cookbook - A Compendium and Comprehensive Compilation of Culinary Creations WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBronze DonorTeam Deckbuilding/Writing Competition - A Matter of Logistics Winner
Re: Rap Starter Pack https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66974.msg1286671#msg1286671
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 02:54:31 am »
there is a difference between being lyrically good and technically good:
doom is more on the techinical side, aesop is one of the best lyricist even if both are better than 90% of rappers in both things

wu tang is more on the delivery side, other than using a huge background made of real things (gangsta rap) and other imaginary things (kung fu movies or all the alter ego used in only build 4 cuban linx) they really don't shine in nothing, they simply say cool things in a cool way

While i agree with the differences, i see enough similarities to put them in that section. Those artists are lyrically driven and focus on word play or speedy delivery. I am not going to get all technical with sub-genres and sub-sub-genres in an EtG post.

asap rocky and ferg in gangsta rap lol asap rocky was on vogue, any list with gangsta rap should include uncle murda and freddie gibbs

probably best gangsta verse ever, only dmx in the gold days was closer to something like this
Ferg is complete new age gangsta rap. Listen to hood pope. Its all about trapping, slanging and cooking crack, and pimpin. Gang stuff.

Rocky's older stuff is gangsta rap. Yes, he does mostly rap about fashion but he also raps about trapping, weed, prison, growing up in the projects etc. While he may not be a crip or blood he is still gangsta rap. His newer stuff is hardly rap. More ambient trash.

Freddie Gibbs is definitely going on this list. Uncle Murda is new to me. Let me discover more of his discography before making an assessment. DMX is gangsta rap but i personally dont care for him much. Hes is more Bling Era rap and imo would fall under the same catagory as 3 6 Mafia and Luda. Bling Era rap will be its own category when i get more time.

about alternative rap clipping totally deserve to be in the list, daveed diggs is the childish gambino for people with more than 16 years and a musical culture
jpegmafia is another artist who is signed (or was?) for the same label of death grips, his album veteran was one of the best of 2018
jpegmafia will be going on the list. One of my favorites in the industry right now.
I actually didnt want to add Gambino in the list. I dont care too much for him but i cant deny he has made in impact on the genre. Hes basically Macklemore for people who are older than 10 but , like you said, have no musical culture.
:gravity War 12
:darkness War 13
:fire War 14
Credit to Wyand for Profile Picture

blarg: