*Author

Offline Mithcairion

• Reputation Power: 12
  • Mithcairion is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mithcairion is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Nerf the Shards, Buff the Cards!
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg324144#msg324144
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 01:50:28 pm »
While it in and of itself is not an anime, Voltron probably whet my appetite for years to come for the anime that I would come to know and love.  Later on, it was indeed DragonBallZ that first gave name to this new, interesting breed  of cartoon that had caught my interest, although I knew it from Saturday morning cartoons, not the Cartoon Network.  Later on, it would be Akira that cemented my enjoyment of the genre.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein
“Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life.” - Rachel Carson

Offline Nepycros

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg324145#msg324145
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 01:50:48 pm »
Definitely Gundam 00, and still reigning champion for my favorite. I've watched at least 15 different series, but I can't stop enjoying Gundam 00 the most.
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

Offline Higurashi

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 103
  • Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Higurashi is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Æther in Æternum enim Æquilibrio
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 15th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerFalse Gods Competition: Reloaded - WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of Aether3rd Trials - Master of AetherWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg324162#msg324162
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 02:16:29 pm »
I'm not sure if Sailor Moon or Starzinger was my first anime, but both are one of the first animes to be aired in Sweden either way. Another anime that followed as me and my best friend watched Turtles and Biker Mice from Mars was Silver Fang. Perhaps fortunately, any other version than the Japanese is heavily censored. :s
Later on, pokémon started airing.

Sailor Moon was very magical and sparkly, but the Swedish dub left a lot to be desired. The characterisation suffered a lot from this, and it seemed, overall, pretty ridiculous. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the dark undertones as a kid, and the hints of romance as well. However, the ecchi scenes were naturally completely lost on me. It didn't make any sense whatsoever when Sailor Moon met a magical tree and entered some kind of mental realm where she was naked, floating around with strange narrative and music in the background.

But when all the Sailors unleashed their powers, it was pretty powerful. It was obvious I wanted more action in my anime.

Starzinger.. probably had the worst Swedish dub of any anime. We'd laugh at that more than the anime itself, though there were some serious and dark moments as well. The characterisation was extremely stereotypical, which did give me good basic knowledge of this; I knew I'd see more of these clear-cut, simple characterisations in most anime and western cartoons.

It had, however, the same large scope as Sailor Moon; the entire universe was in danger. Difference being the heroes and heroine of Starzinger were explorers and adventurers in space. A bit like Star Trek now that I think about it. That vast feeling and sense of adventure was something new to me at the time; it wasn't something I had seen before in Swedish media. The action still left a lot to be desired though.

Pokémon was a return to the sterotypical characterisation and sense of adventure. It had a focus on building the world of Pokémon rather than plot or character-development. It had exciting moments, but there was too much comedy for me to enjoy it thoroughly. For instance, Team Rocket could've been really cool, but instead they turned into the pair of very over-the-top comic relief.

In a way, I find these three animes embody three different areas of focus: Sailor Moon is a shoujo drama where the development of the characters control the plot and flavour. Romance is an important part here, but it didn't go overboard like a lot of modern shoujos do.
Starzinger focused on the impending feeling of doom in the plot, and the goal of the heroes and heroine controlled all development. Characters didn't change at all, nor did the world; it was always very black or white, good or evil. However, it did have some moral dilemmas, which granted it some deeper meaning. Should our heroes really eradicate an entire species to save their own?
Pokémon focused completely on the world, as mentioned. The characters of Ash, Brock and Misty were almost blank slates, characterised by mostly just one trait. Ash was the promising and energetic up-and-comer, Brock was the ladies man (a clumsy one), and Misty was the tomboyish potential love interest to the hero.

Maybe I dissected media too much as a kid, but that's how I was and am. :>
:aether  http://elementscommunity.org/forum/guilds/991-thunderbolts-ho!-991/ :aether
Aether is the prime Element present in all things, providing space, connection and balance for all Elements to exist.
Aether represents the sense of joy and union, and the ultimate potential of all things.

Offline TimerClock14

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.TimerClock14 is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • hello pls
  • Awards: War III Promo Winner
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg324177#msg324177
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »
Oh god....This is going to need some serious memory jogging.

I think the very first anime that I saw was Yu Yu Hakusho. At the time I didn't know what I was watching, just a bunch of slick-haired people shooting things at each other among other violence. I watched that for a bit, maybe 4-5 episodes? After which I moved to a different state, and then got introduced to Pokémon.
I have music, you have ears. Let them get acquainted with each other: https://www.soundcloud.com/mastinmusic

Offline daccoo

• Reputation Power: 2
  • daccoo is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg331593#msg331593
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 06:09:44 pm »
I started watching them 6 months ago so you can say that im new to this section , so far i like Bleach the most ( atm im watching One piece and im done with Naruto witch are bouth great ) . I sow on forum that there are a lot of intresting ones i now just need permission of my wife and all will be ok  :D.

Cheers and best wishes!!!

Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg333792#msg333792
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 11:09:11 pm »
I have a hard time figuring out which anime was the first, but there are a few probibilities.
Pokemon on a called FOX kids, started watching from one of the first episodes. I also remember buying a gameboy color with pokemon red Most Superest Awesomest Greatest game ever.
Dragonball Z, I followed this series on cartoon network as a kid. Watched this from beginning till somewhere with buu, untill it stopped airing on tv. It was awesome cause it had lots of fighting and action. Everyone was saying: I am vegeta, I am goku and then sparring with eachother  :).
Sailormoon, I have no idea when I saw this, memories about this one are vague so it might have been before the ones above. Probably saw just a few episodes, as I said I remember nothing about this except girls with sailor uniforms.
X-men. I dont know if this is considered anime anime, or just american style animation like avatar and samurai jack.

When I started watching some anime, a few years after the tv period was naruto, after that bleach and deathnote. Many more animes followed, filling the empty spaces of time.

IceySammy

Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg403682#msg403682
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »
(Not sure if its still ok to post here but ah well) First anime I saw was Naruto or pokemon. My main reaction was "what the hell is this...not that bad"

Offline artimies7

• Reputation Power: 24
  • artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg403717#msg403717
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 11:33:57 pm »
First one i think was teen titans. That was classic.

And now, our feature presentation:
Ok, I think I've figured it out. The original Dragon Ball followed the anime pretty well. Lines, comedy, plot, and suprises. Then DBZ turned it into a pile of generic trash. I mean, Krillin was comic relief. Comic relief! Krillin shouldn't be comic relief! //rage
Anyway, DBZ kai took up the bit where Dragon Ball left off to the mobs. That's the real stuff there. Krillin's actually serious, Gohan's voice isn't unrecognizably gravelly. The fight scenes don't have annoying music, and sometimes there's some actual plot! Woohoo!
Now that that's off my chest, the one that I watched most recently was Sgt. Frog.  That's a good one there. And ppl in my town actually watch it! Yay! A social life!
Donuts, Noodles, or Bacon?
Whitewalleries! | Noodles, to Victory!

Offline Pkmn31337

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Pkmn31337 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Sombres..
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg407249#msg407249
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 10:38:08 pm »
I can't exactly remember, but the first ones I watched were Pokémon, YGO, DBZ, Card Captor Sakura and Sailor Moon (most on Cartoon Network). I still remember how sometimes I would be afraid of the villains on Sailor Moon when I was a kid o.O

Nowadays I watch megaman axess subbed, and that's it.

hawknose33

Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg409925#msg409925
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 10:57:58 pm »
Well if I must say I'm really not sure if hamtaro,pokemon, or inuyasha was my first anime. Now I'm a huge otaku. Anime has become part of my daily life. Some note worthy anime that I like are
1.inuyasha. With inuyasha I have a found memory of my father and I setting on my parents bed and watching it. :3
2. Naruto. I know naruto receives alot of crap, but I think it is a very good series.
3. Death note. The basic story of good vs. Evil but who is good and who is evil is up to you.
4. Stg. Frog. My bestest friend in the whole wide world showed me this. It iz very funny.
And here are some that I don't feel like giving a explanation for negima, case closed, full moon, kino's journey, bleach, full metal alchemist, and cowboy bebop

Offline Jocko

• Reputation Power: 19
  • Jocko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Jocko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Jocko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWar #5 Winner - Team AetherSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeHoliday Fun Redux! Winner
Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg422172#msg422172
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2011, 11:28:23 pm »
Pokémon, Sailor Moon, Saint Seya, Dragon ball, and probably others while i was a kid, but i really didn't knew they were anime, just cartoons to me.
Later (a lot later) a friend introduced me to Death Note and Steins;Gate, and those are the only ones i've seen subbed. Im trying to get more into it.

Firenotes

Re: How did you get introduced to anime?What was your first anime,what was it like? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=25446.msg430434#msg430434
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2011, 06:20:12 am »
I found some vhs tapes at my friends house of K.O. Century Beasts and was hooked. I moved on to Record of Loduss Wars and have been an avid anime fan ever sense. My most recent fav animes are Death Note and Soul Eater.

blarg: