*Author

Scaredgirl

Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg408564#msg408564
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 02:26:56 pm »
Well, if a trusted member of the community made the stuff and kept only enough proceeds for new materials, but donated the rest of the money that would work out for everyone.
Well, not really.

First of all, I doubt we have any trusted veterans here who just happen to work in the t-shirt business. Secondly, having merchandise would almost certainly lead to less donations.

Lets say there are $100 worth of donations per month (just a random number, reality is probably less). Almost all of those $100 go directly to Zanz, with PayPal taking a cut. But if we had t-shirts as well, some of those people who would have otherwise donated, will now buy t-shirts instead. But the problem with t-shirts is that it costs a lot to produce them, so the net revenue that goes to Elements development is much much less. And if we do what you suggest and let someone sell those shirts, then donate the money, that would mean that both the production costs and PayPal's cut would be subtracted from the net revenue.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I would imagine that if a t-shirt costs $15, it would takes at least $10 to produce that t-shirt. Lets go with that guesstimate.

$100 Donations = $91 net revenue
$55 Donations + $45 t-shirts = $65 net revenue

Those numbers are just guessing, but the principle still applies.

Now one could of course argue that having merchandise wouldn't affect donations at all, and the same people who buy t-shirts, would also donate like they did before. I personally don't believe in that because most people have limited amounts of cash to use on online stuff so they have to make a choice. And every time they choose t-short over donation, that means less money for development.

It might work as some kind of a limited time offer, where Zanz sells 100 t-shirts and that's it. This way it would have less impact on the donations and also increase the value of the t-shirts because they are rare and awesome :)

Offline EmeraldTiger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • :life :aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg408566#msg408566
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »
I guess I was being an Idealist.
If Nowhere is Somewhere, and Somewhere is Over there, How can we be Anywhere?
:life :aether

Offline artimies7Topic starter

• Reputation Power: 24
  • artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg408712#msg408712
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 08:58:50 pm »
Thanks for all the credit, guys. I really appreciate it.

@Scaredgirl @EmeraldTiger I'm not really making these to buy or sell, for the simple reason that with some of them *Cough :earthCough* are logistically hard to make. The time it takes would simply run me into the ground.

Now, this doesn't mean that we can't think of a way to get it out there. There's probably 3D printers out there that can churn out coffee mugs with  :fire on them for $0.30 a dozen that would more than pay for itself and Zanz, too. I mean, there's ways to do it. It just hasn't popped up yet.

But that's probably enough of that. I don't want this War thread to become a new T-shirt thread. Anyone with a printer and a twelve-pack of fabric pens can do this. It's not totally professional, but still awesomesauce.

Seriously, no more.

:gravity. Can i buy?
No. But you can make.
[Mmm. Tutorial video?]

EDIT: From two pages alone, my reputation power has gone up. That's great! I can't thank you enough, guys!
Donuts, Noodles, or Bacon?
Whitewalleries! | Noodles, to Victory!

Offline TStar

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 29
  • TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.TStar is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Highly Overrated
  • Awards: Beginners League 3/2011 WinnerKing of Underworld - War #4Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 2/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBeginners League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg408714#msg408714
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 09:05:53 pm »
UW needs more rainbow lol
Carpe Diem!!

Offline Gocubbies1212

• Reputation Power: 13
  • Gocubbies1212 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Gocubbies1212 is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Proudly took 4th place in CL 2010
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg409047#msg409047
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 11:59:55 am »
i applaud you.  amazing work.
[02:20:36] jmdt: i think gocubbies will win the underworld tourny
I failed to account for the gocubbies factor. - Boingo
I like to make flying weapons decks.

Offline Chapuz

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • The weird Voodoo guy
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - Tower Defense WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan Sharks
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg409380#msg409380
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 01:43:02 am »
Well, if a trusted member of the community made the stuff and kept only enough proceeds for new materials, but donated the rest of the money that would work out for everyone.
Well, not really.

First of all, I doubt we have any trusted veterans here who just happen to work in the t-shirt business. Secondly, having merchandise would almost certainly lead to less donations.

Lets say there are $100 worth of donations per month (just a random number, reality is probably less). Almost all of those $100 go directly to Zanz, with PayPal taking a cut. But if we had t-shirts as well, some of those people who would have otherwise donated, will now buy t-shirts instead. But the problem with t-shirts is that it costs a lot to produce them, so the net revenue that goes to Elements development is much much less. And if we do what you suggest and let someone sell those shirts, then donate the money, that would mean that both the production costs and PayPal's cut would be subtracted from the net revenue.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I would imagine that if a t-shirt costs $15, it would takes at least $10 to produce that t-shirt. Lets go with that guesstimate.

$100 Donations = $91 net revenue
$55 Donations + $45 t-shirts = $65 net revenue

Those numbers are just guessing, but the principle still applies.

Now one could of course argue that having merchandise wouldn't affect donations at all, and the same people who buy t-shirts, would also donate like they did before. I personally don't believe in that because most people have limited amounts of cash to use on online stuff so they have to make a choice. And every time they choose t-short over donation, that means less money for development.

It might work as some kind of a limited time offer, where Zanz sells 100 t-shirts and that's it. This way it would have less impact on the donations and also increase the value of the t-shirts because they are rare and awesome :)
I think, o therwise, that many people that don't donate to Elements would start "donating" while buying a pair of T-shirts. That, depending on the numbers, can change the profit ecuation.
My Decks, Tutorial and Guides <~~~~~ Click Here ! ! !

• artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg409967#msg409967
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 11:47:32 pm »
UW needs more rainbow lol
Just as soon as I'm done with the firestall. dB

EDIT:
I like the underworld one best. :)

Just wondering... how did the cats help?
They did all the work. I just made it happen.

hawknose33

Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg410682#msg410682
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 01:13:58 am »
Cute kitties  :o (nice jerseys to but kittens=awesomeness)

• Effectively Super
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg411056#msg411056
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 05:32:44 pm »
Cute kitties  :o (nice jerseys to but kittens=awesomeness)
Yesh. Yesh dey ar.

Offline freemod1espilon

• Reputation Power: 4
  • freemod1espilon is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Antlion needs some love
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg501557#msg501557
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 10:34:20 pm »
Yeah for giant Microbes  :P
If I have something to say I'll keep it to my self then let it out at the worst possible moment and then I will walk away laughing

Offline Chapuz

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 72
  • Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.Chapuz frolics as one of the Phase Dragons, timeless and superior, gargantuan beasts of peerless wisdom.
  • The weird Voodoo guy
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeDeckbuilding Competition - Tower Defense WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan Sharks
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg501679#msg501679
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 03:46:36 am »
7-month necro lol
My Decks, Tutorial and Guides <~~~~~ Click Here ! ! !

• Effectively Super
Re: War is a sport. Now it's a REAL sport! https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32323.msg501986#msg501986
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »
7-month necro lol

What the ballistic baloney are you two doing on this thread?

anything
blarg: