*Author

Offline Rastafla

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Tournament Guru "I'm too old for this sh-"
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner24 Club (cost 24+ cards during War auction)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163555#msg163555
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »
"I know ... QI off the back of my hand"
Then you also know that that generalization is a load of crap which is mostly useful to mold incapable newbie's decks into something tolerable?  I'm also quite sure that you know that it's about manipulating luck for your benefit.  Scratch that.  As a high level pvp player you should know it's primarily about mindgaming your opponent into a disadvantage.

Also...  Quanta being the only reason you lose?  Congratulations on being the best player I've ever seen.  You should go into poker with that kind of skill, you'd make millions.  What garbage.  Significant?  Yes.   Most important factor?  Maybe.  Only reason?  Ha!
Im not sure how to answer your post or if I at all should because its mocking.

Yes I know but forum people and chat regulars still spout that crap to veterans as if its the answer to everything and that why I mentioned it.

Evey turn you are sitting with an unused card in your hand you are losing damage and quanta and beneficial effects, and for each turn your opponents does something he is gaining momentum and are ahead. Unused quantas, cards and effects is a measure of failure/losing and that is exactly what low pillarcount does to you.
What the hell can mindgames and game mechanics knowledge do when you can't utilize your cards? Thats right, nothing.

Mindgames only comes into effect when both have a fairly equal start and got decks that counter each other fairly well. If you don't its a too huge a hill to climb because you will sit there with cards that cant be used (yet) while your opponent places threat after threat and building quanta to push a lot of stuff at once, you end up being screwed anyway.

Thats it for me. I'm not commenting on this anymore.

Regarding poker which have no place in your argument. There you are far more equal, much less variables to account for.
And yes poker is no problem for me since I'm close to infinitely patient and I play safe. I don't win big because i don't take chances and I hardly ever lose big. I'm always coming out on plus. Poker is all about patience, math and to change approach every now and then to escape people who are good at profiling. When playing face to face being able to quickly learn a players habits are more important, its almost irrelevant when playing online at least on amateur level.
In game name & Chat nick; Rastafla | Retired Tournament Organizer
Current status: Sways forwards and creeping people out.
"Rasta's greatest weakness as a player is moot because this War will not take place in April." - kevkev60614

Offline Amilir

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Amilir hides under a Cloak.
  • New to Elements
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163617#msg163617
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 08:14:55 pm »
Im not sure how to answer your post or if I at all should because its mocking.
Probably not at all.  I was irritable when I wrote that and it shows.  My apologies.
Evey turn you are sitting with an unused card in your hand you are losing damage and quanta and beneficial effects, and for each turn your opponents does something he is gaining momentum and are ahead. Unused quantas, cards and effects is a measure of failure/losing and that is exactly what low pillarcount does to you.
What the hell can mindgames and game mechanics knowledge do when you can't utilize your cards? Thats right, nothing.
Quanta can be the sole cause of a loss.  That does not make it the sole cause of all losses.  Important distinction.
Mindgames only comes into effect when both have a fairly equal start and got decks that counter each other fairly well. If you don't its a too huge a hill to climb because you will sit there with cards that cant be used (yet) while your opponent places threat after threat and building quanta to push a lot of stuff at once, you end up being screwed anyway.
I did specify high level pvp.  Luck can always screw you of course, skill is for when it doesn't.  Also, if you have a deck that counters your opponent's, I count that in mindgaming.

As for poker, I was being sarcastic.  If you had the skill to never make a mistake and only lose on bad luck, you should be playing games professionally, hence my comment.
Thats it for me. I'm not commenting on this anymore.
kk.  Just clarifying my position.

Immolation

Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163626#msg163626
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 08:31:40 pm »
Maybe this.... 

All dragons: Flame Breath: 1 fire quantum:Deal 1 damage to target creature for every dragon you have on the field.

MrSexington

Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163629#msg163629
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 08:38:43 pm »
If anything, Zanz should just introduce new dragons with abilities. 

Either way, leave the existing dragons alone.

:(

Offline Rastafla

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Rastafla is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Tournament Guru "I'm too old for this sh-"
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner24 Club (cost 24+ cards during War auction)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163643#msg163643
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 09:01:22 pm »

Lesser dragons? Might be interesting.
In game name & Chat nick; Rastafla | Retired Tournament Organizer
Current status: Sways forwards and creeping people out.
"Rasta's greatest weakness as a player is moot because this War will not take place in April." - kevkev60614

Offline Toimu13

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Toimu13 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Thread Necromancer
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163659#msg163659
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 09:19:06 pm »
Dragons also have the highest attack of creatures of their respective elements.  They seem strong enough on their own IMHO.
Don't forget all dragons have the passive airborne letting thing pass through wings.
Not much else to say.

Great idea!

greenman777

Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163734#msg163734
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2010, 10:41:01 pm »
 :aether Essence and/or Lightning dragon/drake
 :air Cloud and/or Storm dragon/drake
 :darkness Night and/or Shadow dragon/drake
 :death ??? and/or ??? dragon/drake
 :earth Iron and/or Steel dragon/drake
 :entropy ??? and/or ??? dragon/drake
 :fire Flame and/or Inferno dragon/drake
 :gravity Axis and/or Tectonic  dragon/drake
 :life ??? and/or ??? dragon/drake
 :light Prismatic and/or ??? dragon/drake
 :time Clockwork and/or ??? dragon/drake
 :water Sea and/or Reef dragon/drake

Offline Aves

• Competition Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • ~Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet~
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeBest Looking Forum Profile Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripSilver DonorBattle League 2/2016 2nd PlaceWinner of Card Design War #3Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2016 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #9 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg163847#msg163847
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2010, 01:04:16 am »
The 25 (if you count upped and non-upped seperately, and include leaf dragon) dragons are fine as they are. Lesser dragons could be a good idea, but what niche would they fill?
:darkness War # 4, 9, 10
:darkness League of Shadows :darkness Brawl # 5

The Tentacle's Grip Brawl # 6

Offline Acsabi44

• Reputation Power: 28
  • Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Acsabi44 is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Coming to get ya.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeBronze DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner14 Club - Most Expensive players during War AuctionWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg164053#msg164053
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2010, 08:58:51 am »
The 25 (if you count upped and non-upped seperately, and include leaf dragon) dragons are fine as they are. Lesser dragons could be a good idea, but what niche would they fill?
This.
[17:04:00] Dragon6: ‹@Acsabi44› You are Rage Potion, Phase Dragon and Momentum all in one
Interested in game strategy,  theory and other kinds of advice? Clicky clicky!

Offline Daytripper

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Daytripper is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Transferred veteran
Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg164057#msg164057
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2010, 09:35:23 am »
The playing field is rife with possibilities, only restricted by your imagination.

The lesser dragon somewhat worries me, since a slightly cheaper attacker with a bit less hp/stats than the real dragon could easily flush out the existing midrange attackers we have. Though I highly suggest one of those lesser dragons for elements like light and especially time, for air maybe. (It has the FFQ so mwoah) This can open new ways of play. Why no time rush? I barely see any low level time units. The scarab costs 2 but needs gravity, and it has too low attack alone... Scorpion also needs a buff to be activated, so it's not a real rush card. So when you think of it time barely has 1 midrange attacker!

Now, if the lesser dragons were somewhat expensive, but with a good ability, they would cut into the nymph field again.

So, if you added an ability it would have to be unique. Dragons fly and are thought to be good attackers, so why not emphasize on that? While there is a lot to choose, I just thought of this, working out my idea:

Lesser dragon: Midrange attacker with medium stats, but for slightly increased cost. (5 or 6)

Air does double damage through earth shield. (If no shield then damage is normal)
Earth does double damage through air shield.
Death does double damage through life shield.
Life does double damage through death shield. 
Darkness does double damage through light shield.
Light does double damage through drakness shield. 
Water does double damage through fire shield.
Fire does double damage through water shield.
Entropy does double damage through gravity shield.
Gravity does double damage through entropy shield.
Aether does double damage through time shield.
Time does double damage through aether shield.

And do not ask me why gravity and entropy or aether and time are opposites,  because I don't know. Thanks.   
Shards aren't overpowered, as long as you have them yourself.

kobisjeruk

Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg164062#msg164062
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 09:46:11 am »

from a flavor point of view...Elder/ancient dragons (not lesser) should have abilities i.e. the older they get, they wiser they will be
lesser in any case should be a weaker version of existing dragons but like someone already said, what niche would they fill? we already have midrange critters (dont mind having some more though) and if you think about it, unupped dragon is already a lesser dragon (kinda) compared to their upgraded counterpart

and elder/ancient dragons *could be similar to nymphs (thats just lame imo) or entirely different such as having passive skill that is unique to their element (e.g. momentumed elder gravity dragon, vampiric elder darkness dragon, immaterial elder aether dragon...wait, we already have that)

meh, i think dragons should stay as they are as iconic big fat badasses of the elements

corky

Re: Should Dragons have abilities? https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12833.msg164138#msg164138
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 02:06:32 pm »
I would like to see the un-upped dragon stats boosted a bit and the upped dragon given a breath weapon unique to their respective element.

anything
blarg: