*Author

funplay

Re: aznkid66's Arena Suggestions: Dynamic Income, Restricted HP, and Sideboard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28948.msg373573#msg373573
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:10 am »
Dynamic income:
I disproved both your points in this very thread:
EM rushes are more popular than EM/Denial stalls, changing the reward system wouldn't change the deck-type composition in arena in arena because it is heavily based on win-rate
And dynamic income in no way suggests that income will be noticeably increased. Dynamic income might as well decrease "auto-income"
Ok, i read through the whole thread again to understand your argumentation. I must have missed centrals points...

a) I disagree with marked part above: If the amount of Electrum/Rating is dependent on the HP arena decks will change. Atm, the decks are optimized for winning...if your change would be introduced, that would shift to max HP/EM...
b) If you are convinced, that arena decks wouldnt change: Why implementing it at all? Please state as clear as possible the impact you would expect from this change...

Restricted HP and Dex:
Need is because there is no clear gap between gold and silver decks other than overcrowding in gold pushes more bad decks out of arena, while the rewards differ greatly. In addition, skill points don't restrict "player choices" at all, they expand the choices.
Pushing bad decks (well, rather not optimized) out of arena is not bad imho...and while it is true that skill points expand players choices, they are still limited...you have to decide where to put your points, unless your high in platinum...you have to make a choice: if you want high HP AND Dex, you have to go with single mark or few upped cards...fine with me. As there is a choice to make, skill points achieve a certain restriction.

Imho, you dont really need a gap between gold and silver...its already there. Take jmdt classic for example...while it regularly beats most silver decks (my winning % is about 80-90%), it has some problems with gold decks (my personal record is 51-48, so about 50%).

Sideboard:
Again, I am not a professional game designer, so I wouldn't know the exact values for an optimal, balanced sideboard. Don't vote for the implementation of the example, vote on the implementation of the concept.
Even if the number was lowered, i am not sure if this would be a good idea...mostly because this would be a change that favored certain kinds of decks again. --> Rainbows...see the example given by blue priest. Furthermore, any size of sideboard would make the MUCH easier...you gain A LOT flexibility without having to sacrifice anything...

davidy22

Re: aznkid66's Arena Suggestions: Dynamic Income, Restricted HP, and Sideboard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28948.msg373585#msg373585
« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2011, 11:31:54 am »
I can challenge the sideboard argument. Mono decks can benefit from the sideboard too, being able to choose cards provides alot of choice. The sideboard is often used in tournaments to allow players to pack situational cards that stop you from getting screwed over by a bad matchup.

A sideboard for CPU matches isn't why I voted yes though. The mind games that can be played before a pvp match would be a very interesting dimension added, trying to guess what cards your opponent will use. It only gets better as cards get added.

Offline PineappleTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: aznkid66's Arena Suggestions: Dynamic Income, Restricted HP, and Sideboard https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28948.msg373612#msg373612
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2011, 01:38:25 pm »
a) I disagree with marked part above: If the amount of Electrum/Rating is dependent on the HP arena decks will change. Atm, the decks are optimized for winning...if your change would be introduced, that would shift to max HP/EM...
Dynamic Income can be implemented with winning being more important than max hp/em, and if this is the case, arena decks will not change.
b) If you are convinced, that arena decks wouldnt change: Why implementing it at all? Please state as clear as possible the impact you would expect from this change...
The impact is not on deck-type composition but ranking/electrum increase. Again, during PvP and all other battles, the player gains electrum/score based on how much HP you have left. Therefore, for Arena to truly be async PvP, it should mirror this.

Imho, you dont really need a gap between gold and silver...its already there.
No, the only reason the gap is there is not because they are restricted by level, but because there is a gap in deck quality in general. Again, the gap is caused by overcrowding, which definitely should not be there, and once the overcrowding is removed, there will be no gap.

anything
blarg: