*Author

Offline Nepycros

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg368659#msg368659
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2011, 03:37:09 am »
And congeal is essentially freeze with a fancy name. Why confuse people?
Congeal is the Upgraded Freeze Spell. Arctic Squid|Octopus casts the Freeze|Congeal spell. That is why. Should it be?
Congealed creatures still get instakilled by shockwave, even though shockwave only states that it shatters frozen creatures. It's the same ability, with a different duration.

Shatter needs to changed to killed. It isn't immediately clear that it's and instakill.
Both Freeze and Congeal cause the target to enter a frozen status. It's not the card that matters, when determining Shockwave. It's the current status of the creature. Congeal is simply putting a creature under a status for a longer duration.
But nowhere on the congeal effect does it say congeal is equivalent to a 4 turn freeze. Yet congeal behaves like one, which makes cards like shockwave confused and ambiguous
Deadly Poison doesn't say it's just Poison 2.
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

davidy22

Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg368665#msg368665
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2011, 03:49:45 am »
At least deadly poison doesn't day it intoxicates the opponent.

I'm not arguing for the format [ability name] [number]. I'm arguing for a standard format, and a standard naming system. Some of the current cards are not perfect examples of grammar either.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg368672#msg368672
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2011, 04:00:21 am »
Arctic Octopus does follow the current standard form:
'When a creature has a skill that acts identical to a spell it will reference the spell.'
Arctic Octopus Congeals target creature.
-> Arctic Octopus casts the Congeal spell at the target creature.
-> Arctic Octopus casts "Freeze the target creature for 4 turns. Frozen creatures cannot attack or use skills" at the target creature
-> Arctic Octopus freezes the target creature for 4 turns. Frozen creatures cannot attack or use skills.

This is a card reference based Keyword.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

davidy22

Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg368745#msg368745
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:39 am »
'When a creature has a skill that acts identical to a spell it will reference the spell.'
-> Arctic Octopus casts "Freeze the target creature for 4 turns. Frozen creatures cannot attack or use skills" at the target creature
-> Arctic Octopus freezes the target creature for 4 turns. Frozen creatures cannot attack or use skills.

That's how the ability works. The way it is presented to the player is in the form of two abilities, "freeze" and the more powerful "congeal", which means dry up. The two words don't mean nearly the same thing, yet they both trigger the shockwave secondary effect.

Jaxly

Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg368824#msg368824
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 02:40:31 pm »
Both freeze and congeal mean to solidify something. The means by which they do it are different.
A shock-wave would not shatter a liquid or gelatinous body.
A shock-wave might shatter a solid body.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg368860#msg368860
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:48 pm »

That's how the ability works. The way it is presented to the player is in the form of two abilities, "freeze" and the more powerful "congeal", which means dry up. The two words don't mean nearly the same thing, yet they both trigger the shockwave secondary effect.
The way it is presented to the player is in the form of 4 cards Freeze|Congeal (common) and Arctic Squid|Arctic Octopus (rare)
The Rare card references the effect of the Common spell card by name.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

davidy22

Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg369176#msg369176
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2011, 08:37:32 am »
The way it is presented to the player is in the form of 4 cards Freeze|Congeal (common) and Arctic Squid|Arctic Octopus (rare)
That still means there are two different names for the same ability. We agree that there are two different names, I'd like to argue that it's not a good thing.

It isn't immediately clear that the spell shockwave also refers to the congeal effect too.

Both freeze and congeal mean to solidify something. The means by which they do it are different.
A shock-wave would not shatter a liquid or gelatinous body.
A shock-wave might shatter a solid body.
Freeze means to solidify. Congeal means to remove the liquid from an emulsion.
A shock-wave of said liquid could shatter a liquid at the molecular level if it traveled at the liquid's natural frequency.

They are not the same thing.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg369228#msg369228
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2011, 01:53:35 pm »
That still means there are two different names for the same ability. We agree that there are two different names, I'd like to argue that it's not a good thing.

It isn't immediately clear that the spell shockwave also refers to the congeal effect too.
It is not the same ability
Arctic Squid has the ability "Trigger the unupped version of Freeze|Congeal." Hence the ability is named "Freeze".
Arctic Octopus has the ability "Trigger the upgraded version of Freeze|Congeal." Hence the ability is named "Congeal".

Imagine a hypothetical card that "Trigger the unupped|upgraded version of Immolation|Cremation.". It would have the ability named "Immolate"|"Cremate".

If someone has an Arctic Octopus I am fairly certain they know of the Congeal spell. (Upgraded Commons are more well known than Upgraded Rares in the same element.)

davidy22

Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg370643#msg370643
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 04:58:45 am »
Target a card to activate the ability? I'm sure zanzarino knows how to  use classes better than that.

The side effects of the abilities are the same, and so two different names are not needed. They behave the same way, so they two abilities should have the same name.

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg370930#msg370930
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 11:46:08 pm »
Target a card to activate the ability? I'm sure zanzarino knows how to  use classes better than that.

The side effects of the abilities are the same, and so two different names are not needed. They behave the same way, so they two abilities should have the same name.
I did not claim the ability targeted the Freeze|Congeal card. (If I was careless with my wording, I apologize) I did mention that the Ability was named Freeze|Congeal because it calls the same function as Freeze|Congeal does. This means the player can reference the Freeze|Congeal spell instead of including unnecessary reminder text.

":water :water: Congeal" provides all the same information that ":water :water :Freeze target creature for 4 turns." and takes significantly less space.

davidy22

Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg370953#msg370953
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 12:50:40 am »

I did not claim the ability targeted the Freeze|Congeal card. (If I was careless with my wording, I apologize) I did mention that the Ability was named Freeze|Congeal because it calls the same function as Freeze|Congeal does. This means the player can reference the Freeze|Congeal spell instead of including unnecessary reminder text.

":water :water: Congeal" provides all the same information that ":water :water :Freeze target creature for 4 turns." and takes significantly less space.
Bah.

The cards need a redesign, making cards is frustrating with the tiny amount of text you can fit on them.

The adrenaline card should have a printed formula describing how many times it makes cards attack.

Offline MarvaddinTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 13
  • Marvaddin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Marvaddin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • War to the Fake Gods!
Re: A Topic to suggest little card changes. https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=28533.msg373292#msg373292
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2011, 07:45:25 pm »
Long time, but lets update it :)

One thing I've thought of: Owl's Eye being able to target the opponent's HP directly.
Doesnt it already attack the opponent HP directly? I think the skill is supposed to be CC only, or the damage could be increased instead.

What you suggested for gravity pull was different in the original post. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered saying that.
Can you explain the difference please?

I'm not arguing for the format [ability name] [number]. I'm arguing for a standard format, and a standard naming system. Some of the current cards are not perfect examples of grammar either.
Yeah, some cards can have a different text to make it clear. Chrysaora is a good example. The skill could be something like "add a poison counter to opponent".

But there is an standard system, like OldTrees explained:
Arctic Squid has the ability "Trigger the unupped version of Freeze|Congeal." Hence the ability is named "Freeze".
Arctic Octopus has the ability "Trigger the upgraded version of Freeze|Congeal." Hence the ability is named "Congeal".

You know, cards text box is small, so I agree with the reference system. For example: scarab doesnt have an explanation about the devour skill, but its present in Otyugh, so its ok. Next time a creature have endow, it doesnt need repeat the text (its in crusader card) and can use text to explain another passive skill, for example. So, you always need some knowledge around the cards at all. If you have it, cards like Shockwave are not ambiguous, you know freeze and congeal are the same status, with different duration.

Well, well...

Another little change I would like to sugest: lycans could turn Darkness (and get bonus from Eclipse / damage from Holy Flash) after the skill is used.

Lets continue it, I will update it in some time :)

anything
blarg: