*Author

Offline the dictatorTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 17
  • the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1120992#msg1120992
« on: January 14, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »
Since I was curious, I decided to go and calculate what the actual drop rate of the special spin is, though I quickly got a headache trying to do so, so instead I wrote a program that checks every possibly layout exactly once. Using this simulation I calculated the actual droprate: 73,92%

The program assumes the following spin strategy: IF you have a pair, spin the remaining slot as many times as possible (or until it matches). If you don't have a pair, or when you can't spin the remaining slot any more, spin the slot with the highest number of spins left.
It also uses the following things: Out of the 27 rares available, 4 are randomly selected, all with equal odds, and with repeats allowed, and the person doing the spinning isn't favoring any one rare over any other(s). (As confirmed by Xenocidius in the Game Coding Q&A)

Spoiler for Calculation:
Rares Selected
AAAA
AAAB
AABB
AABC
ABCD
Total
Odds
<0,01%
0,53%
0,40%
19,81%
79,26%
100%
Successes
Failures
Total
Succesrate
100%
99,38%
97,80%
89,19%
69,81%
Odds x Succesrate
<0,01%
0,53%
0,39%
17,67%
55,32%
73,92%

If anyone is interested in the actual matlab files, send me a forum PM about it (include an e-mail address or something another preferred way to get the files to you).
CuCN also did a calculation/simulation and confirmed the numbers in this thread.

I would like to do a followup to calculate the odds when prioritizing one single rare, but I'm not sure what spin algorithm to use, which is why I'm asking for some input/discussion on that first. Especially on what to do when you see, say, AAB while looking for rare C. You have no guarantee it is in the selection of possible rares, but when spinning the B, you might immediately end up with a win, even when you could potentially have gotten rare C out of it, or more in general, do you actively disrupt a good pattern to check if you desired rare is not in the list of possible rares this spin, or do you just go with it, and hope you don't miss it because it happens to be buried.

Spin Priority options.
After a lots of theorizing, debating, calculating and simulating me, CuCN, ColorlessGreen and Pineapple came up with a load of reasonable spin strategies, and the numbers that go with them.
I won't do such a complete breakdown as for the normal case (if you want one, mail me), just the number summary.
Before we get to that, first a little introduction into the terminology: Aside from Normal (no priority for any rare), we came up with 4 priority classes: Max, Focus, Priority and Weak. They are defined by what to do on the following cases: ABB, XBB and XAB. Here, X is the prioritized rare, A and B being different other rares.
TypeABBXBBXAB
NormalSpin ASpin XAny
WeakSpin ASpin XAny
PrioritySpin ASpin XA or B
FocusSpin ASpin BA or B
MaxSpin BSpin BA or B

To put it into words: Max disrupts all pairs that aren't X, thus reducing the chances of accidently hitting a different rare while still looking if X is possible. Focus only disrupts pairs that aren't made out of X after X has been found, and Priority doesn't disrupt any pairs, it only avoids spinning X when there are 3 different rares. Weak can spin away X even when there rares, it first looks at spins remaining for each slot.

Sadly, we thought we had the basics with these 4 options (obviously, there are mixes available between those 4), but sadly that proved to be not the case.
Aside from what to do based on the rares currently in the slot there is a second important factor: the number of spins remaining on each slot.
If a slot has no spins remaining, all you have left to do is spin the other 2 slots, hoping they can match the fixed slot (all the strategies do this). No question here. That's different case for whenever you have a tie between two options, and need to pick one:
In case of spinning away a pair, which of them to spin first? In case of a tie between two or even 3 options, which wheel do you pick.
This is where the second choice comes in. You basically have two options: spin the wheel with the most slots remaining, or spin the wheel with the least slots remaining. During our discussion were referred to those options as either spread (spin the one with most slots) and dig (spin the one with least slots), the reason for those names becomes clear once you consider what it does if you repeat it say, 3 times. Dig will spin the same well three times, while spread will spin each wheel once.

So, now we have 10 different strategies already: Normal(d), Normal(s), Weak(s), Weak(d), Priority(d), Priority(s), Focus(d), Focus(s), Max(d) and Max(s). Is that it than finally you might ask?
No, since we have to break it down one step further. Digging is (usually) better when you are trying to figure out if you could get X from this spin, so it's what you would like to use when you are still trying to find X, while spreading might be better once you have found X. Thus we had to break the weak, priority, focus and max strategies up once more: Weak(d|d), Weak(d|s), Weak(s|d), Weak(s|s), Priority(d|d), Priority(d|s), Priority(s|d), Priority(s|s), Focus(d|d), Focus(d|s), Focus(s|d), Focus(s|s), Max(d|d), Max(d|s), Max(s|d) and Max(s|s) [and Normal(d) and Normal(s)].

And yes, that's it, for now at least (you can of course come up with all kinds of hybrid strategies), but lets keep you waiting no longer.

Strategy
Before X
After X
Rare X
Other Rares
Total
Normal
Spread
Spread
2,7377%
71,1808%
73,9185%
Normal
Dig
Dig
2,7377%
71,1808%
73,9185%
Weak
Spread
Spread
2,9558%
70,9627%
73,9185%
Priority
Spread
Spread
3,0348%
70,8832%
73,9180%
Priority
Spread
Dig
3,0876%
70,8257%
73,9133%
Priority
Dig
Dig
3,0892%
70,7825%
73,8716%
Priority
Dig
Spread
3,0374%
70,8389%
73,8763%
Focus
Spread
Spread
4,4892%
68,1242%
72,6134%
Focus
Spread
Dig
4,4892%
68,6152%
73,1043%
Focus
Dig
Dig
4,4898%
68,5746%
73,0644%
Focus
Dig
Spread
4,4898%
68,0852%
72,5750%
Max
Dig
Dig
4,7084%
50,9054%
55,6137%
Max
Dig
Spread
4,7084%
45,7141%
50,4224%

If any of the strategies mentioned above aren't in the table, it means I haven't found time to simulate them yet.

Bold are what I consider to be the best options in each category. The ones in italics are also optimal if that fits your desires better, but your desires have to be pretty specific to end up matching one of those. The others are included for completeness sake, since they are all worse than one of or a combination of the ones in bold/italics.

TL:DR version..
Important for all strategies: if you do end up with one fixed slot (no remaining spins), stop whatever you were trying to do, and just try to match the remaining slots to the fixed slot. Except for the first case, you should always spread your spins until you run into something you really like.
  • Max(d|d): If you want a rare REALLY REALLY BADLY (think higs and her final SoI), break up all pairs and in case of a tie, spin the slot with the least amount of spins let.
  • Focus(s|d): If you are looking for a specific rare, spread your spins until you find it. Don't break up any pairs until you do find that rare. After you find that rare, spin the slot with the least amount of spins remaining (that isn't that rare).
  • Priority(s|d): If you run into a rare you like, always spin the slot with the least amount of spins left, but don't break up any pairs.
  • Weak(s|s): If you happen to run into a rare you like better than the others you have seen in that spin, always spin the slot with the most spins remaining, and don't break up any pairs, even if it that does mean getting rid of your nice Shard of Sacrifice.
  • Normal(s|s): If you couldn't care less about which rare you get, you are going to sell them all anyway, don't break up any pairs and in case of a tie, spin the slot with the most spins remaining.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:00:52 am by the dictator »
[18:28:55] Acsabi44: grinding is about pwning the AI as fast as possible
Back from a long break.
:water War Veteran - 4 times
Because inverted art is awesome - Looking for a tool for gather stats for arena, look no further

Offline Shantu

• Reputation Power: 21
  • Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • In high orbit
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeMaster Duelist - Winner of the Duels of Honor PvP Event6th Trials - Master of DeathThe 1st Avatar - Winner of the PvP EventWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House Cup1st Champion of The ColosseumWeekly Tournament WinnerParolee of the 1st Prisoners DilemmaSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121096#msg1121096
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:53:18 am »
I think the possibility of getting one desired rare out of 27 is too low especially if you don't even know it is there. I, for example, still need a few integrities but I don't spin desperately for them - if I see an integrity in the spin I try to go for it but if I don't, I don't ruin my chance for extra electrum. Doubly true for upgraded spins.

Offline Pineapple

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121100#msg1121100
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:01:48 am »
in the case of AAB when looking for C, i will spin B until A or C, in which case i am done, or i will spin the As. in other words, i will disrupt a good pattern but only if there's a good reason for doing so (AAC).

as for the algorithm you used (i'm assuming it's recursive), what happens in the case of A(1-3) A(1-3) B(0)? (AAB when the last slot has 0 spins)?

• the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121106#msg1121106
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 02:05:22 am »
In the case of A(1-3), A(1-3), B(0) - It will spin whichever of the A's has most spins left.

And regarding the priority case, you (both) are suggesting to only go after a desired rare only if you have confirmation that it's available in this specific spin. Hmm, that would make for another check, but it doesn't sound unreasonable.
Back from a long break.
Because inverted art is awesome - Looking for a tool for gather stats for arena, look no further

Offline ColorlessGreen

• Reputation Power: 14
  • ColorlessGreen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ColorlessGreen is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121112#msg1121112
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 02:53:06 am »
FWIW, with regard to A(1-3)/A(1-3)/B(0), it's totally irrelevant what the algorithm does, provided it doesn't respin slots 1 or 2 if either of them hit B.

Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121119#msg1121119
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:24:20 am »
True that, it will have to spin until both match B anyway, though my algorithm does spin the one with the most spins left first (not that it matters, that's just how I implemented it).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:26:12 am by the dictator »
Back from a long break.

Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121267#msg1121267
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 04:20:09 am »
Bumb, after a full day of disrupting chat with loads of math, me, CuCN, Pineapple and ColorlessGreen, finally came up with loads of numbers to represent prioritized spinning in the arena special spin.

The OP has been updated to include the new information.
Back from a long break.

Offline CuCN

• Reputation Power: 25
  • CuCN is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.CuCN is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.CuCN is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.CuCN is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.CuCN is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Toxic
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Arena Special Spin Droprate https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=53369.msg1121281#msg1121281
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 06:47:38 am »
The ones in italics are also optimal if that fits your desires better, but your desires have to be pretty specific to end up matching one of those. The others are included for completeness sake, since they are all worse than one of or a combination of the ones in bold/italics.

TL:DR version..
Important for all strategies: if you do end up with one fixed slot (no remaining spins), stop whatever you were trying to do, and just try to match the remaining slots to the fixed slot.
If you want a rare REALLY REALLY BADLY (think higs and her final SoI), break up all pairs and in case of a tie, spin the slot with the least amount of spins let. [Max(d|d)]
If you are looking for a specific rare, spread your spins until you find it. Don't break up any pairs until you do find that rare. After you find that rare, spin the slot with the least amount of spins remaining (that isn't that rare). [Focus(s|d)]
If you happen to run into a rare you like better than the others you have seen in that spin, always spin the slot with the least number of spins remaining, but don't break up any pairs, even if it that does mean getting rid of your nice Shard of Sacrifice. [Priority(s|d)].
If you couldn't care less about which rare you get, you are going to sell them all anyway, don't break up any pairs and in case of a tie, spin the slot with the most spins remaining.

Specifically, here is the list of optimal (or at least optimal among the strategies tested) strategies along with the range of values for which they are optimal. Value is how many times X is worth to you compared to a non-X rare, 1 meaning that you have no preference, 2 meaning that X is worth twice as much as a non-X rare, and infinite meaning that all rares other than X are completely worthless compared to X.
StrategyMinimum ValueMaximum Value
Normal S11
Weak SS11.006
Priority SS1.0061.09
Priority SD1.091.6
Focus SD1.666
Focus DD6681
Max DD81Infinite

The table can be continued in the other direction, if you value one specific rare less than all other rares:
StrategyMaximum ValueMinimum Value
Normal S11
Anti Weak S10.98
Anti Priority S0.980.74
Anti Focus SD0.740

Edit: More comprehensive strategy posted here.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:12:08 am by CuCN »

blarg: Xenocidius,CuCN,ColorlessGreen,Pineapple