Poll

Support?

Yes, it might not be the same as before but we can try
2 (50%)
No, it's a better idea to go look for a better host
1 (25%)
How about we dump all info on the respective subforums and don't have to make a dedicated wiki?
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

*Author

Offline AbsolTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Consectetur Adipiscing Elit
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Regarding Wiki migration https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38367.msg478341#msg478341
« on: April 09, 2012, 03:31:50 pm »
The old wiki is still up as of now, but possibly not for long, as it will expire in one or two days.
I recall there's an even older wiki here: http://elementsthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Elements_the_Game_Wiki
I've contacted TafferBoy, the current wiki admin there. I asked him permission to edit his wiki, and he agreed. The thing is, we don't have new wiki up yet, so this could be a good chance to instead improve on what has been there for ages. If you're interested, here's the detail on what we talked about.
I've had the card articles, FG articles, Oracle FG Counter, Card Changes, and Patch Notes ready in an archive here: http://www.mediafire.com/?e3k3w0a8diq0e
All in form of HTML code, in text file format.

To wiki editors, would you rather:
Work on this new old wiki, but losing old formatting (like table and such) and have to learn how to edit from scratch?
Go and make a new wiki, potentially preserving the formatting but may take a long time?

Discuss.
"Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit."
"There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain."

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Regarding Wiki migration https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38367.msg478379#msg478379
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 04:57:32 pm »
The old wiki is still up as of now, but possibly not for long, as it will expire in one or two days.
I recall there's an even older wiki here: http://elementsthegame.wikia.com/wiki/Elements_the_Game_Wiki
I've contacted TafferBoy, the current wiki admin there. I asked him permission to edit his wiki, and he agreed. The thing is, we don't have new wiki up yet, so this could be a good chance to instead improve on what has been there for ages. If you're interested, here's the detail on what we talked about.
I've had the card articles, FG articles, Oracle FG Counter, Card Changes, and Patch Notes ready in an archive here: http://www.mediafire.com/?e3k3w0a8diq0e
All in form of HTML code, in text file format.

To wiki editors, would you rather:
Work on this new old wiki, but losing old formatting (like table and such) and have to learn how to edit from scratch?
Go and make a new wiki, potentially preserving the formatting but may take a long time?

Discuss.

I wish we had the option to change our vote. :P

One of the main reasons why the new (or 'our') wiki was being used over the previous wikia (I thought) was due to how customized and professional we can be with our own written articles. Not to say the old wikia is terrible, but I think that if we had a shared amount of power (i.e. - multiple admins on the new wiki instead of just one), it would be just like before but better, and more articles can be produced and the wiki would be better managed. In addition, while the old wikia may have better a better search engine, I'd like to think that our aesthetics would attract more people, which more or less balances out in the end (I think?).

Finally, I'm more than down to allow tafferboy to actually help us on a new wiki and give him admin rights on the new site, so that there wouldn't be any misunderstandings or bitterness when it came down to it. :) But anyway...

EDIT: My English sucks. Wow.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:43:38 pm by Kuroaitou »

Offline Taffer

• Reputation Power: 2
  • Taffer is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: Regarding Wiki migration https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38367.msg478812#msg478812
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 04:38:31 pm »
Well, I don't know if my word matters but I think the Wiki engine is powerful enough to make nice designs. I admit that the look of the old wiki is not the best but the community may improve it.

I think that we have a shared amount of power (i.e. - multiple admins on the new wiki instead of just one)

I don't know where did you get this info but I'm sure that Wikia site can have more than one admins. I can grant admin rights to users, too. And if someone has more time to administrate the site than me I willingly abdicate my adminship. I just automatically became an admin when I adopted the site and there were no other active admins.

Finally, I'm more than down to allow tafferboy to actually help us on a new wiki and give him admin rights on the new site, so that there wouldn't be any misunderstandings or bitterness when it came down to it. :)

*sigh*

Offline AbsolTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.Absol is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Consectetur Adipiscing Elit
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Regarding Wiki migration https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38367.msg478818#msg478818
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 04:50:31 pm »
Alternative idea i got and talked about in the chat:
Spoiler for Hidden:
[11:14:31 PM] Absol: i suddenly have a crazy idea for new wiki
[11:14:50 PM] Jenkar: ‹@SpikeSpiegel› will you compete for time mastership next trials?
[11:15:04 PM] Mithcairion: ‹@Jenkar› The same way Christina Applegate feeds her child
[11:15:10 PM] Jenkar: ‹@Absol› do tell?
[11:15:10 PM] RavingRabbid: ‹@SpikeSpiegel› Your wolf.
[11:15:14 PM] SpikeSpiegel: ‹@Jenkar› I really don't know ;)
[11:15:20 PM] Jenkar: ‹@Mithcairion› =?
[11:15:30 PM] Absol: why don't we integrate the wiki to the Cards section? OP for wiki entry and comments are on the following posts. Easier in the eye.
[11:16:06 PM] Jenkar: Whatcha mean by integrate?
[11:16:11 PM] Absol: FG Section could be integrated to the False Gods subforum, and misc. articles could go to Tutorials
[11:16:14 PM] dracomageat: finds wrong page and is now playing elements on facebook?
[11:16:20 PM] Kuroaitou: Hey Absol :D
[11:16:27 PM] Absol: KURO
[11:16:40 PM] Mithcairion: ‹@Jenkar› She chews up the food and spits it into her baby's mouth
[11:17:00 PM] Absol: ‹@Jenkar› editors are allowed to modify the OP, and we'll put the wiki entry in the forum
[11:17:14 PM] ~Napalm: That's gross.
[11:17:17 PM] Kuroaitou: ‹@Absol› integrate the wiki to the cards section? >.>
[11:17:23 PM] ~Napalm: Suddenly... not hungry.
[11:17:43 PM] Absol: if there's question about specific cards, we can link them to the card discussion thread. Easier to comment and to moderate.
[11:18:25 PM] Kuroaitou: ‹@Absol› :O So editors get access to the cards sections?
[11:19:09 PM] Absol: ‹@Kuroaitou› yes, probably. Won't need to find a wiki hosting site, as we can always post in the forum.
[11:19:37 PM] Jenkar: Not really a wiki, lulz.
[11:20:25 PM] dracomageat: can we get it with added penguins?
[11:20:29 PM] Kuroaitou: ‹@Absol› D: Daw'.....
[11:21:07 PM] Absol: where is my previous posts...
[11:21:56 PM] UTAlan: Heya chat
[11:22:17 PM] glennfoo: anyone has a good link to a immocatcher deck??
[11:22:20 PM] YoungSot: hi Alan
[11:22:21 PM] glennfoo: ‹@UTAlan› hey
[11:22:23 PM] Kuroaitou: Hey UTA
[11:22:32 PM] UTAlan: Glad to see the server is back up and running :P
[11:22:41 PM] Jenkar: ‹@UTAlan› yo.
[11:22:43 PM] Absol: as i look around wiki, i tend to categorize articles into 4 parts: cards, FGs, decks, and others. Card articles can be put in the Cards section, FGs on FG section, decks on community-recommended decks, and others on tutorials.
[11:22:48 PM] Kuroaitou: So the ads are up, looks like everything is set... right?
[11:22:54 PM] Absol: ‹@UTAlan› 'sup
[11:23:08 PM] Kuroaitou: ‹@Absol› So... you're saying we don't even 'need' a wiki?
[11:23:12 PM] UTAlan: ‹@Kuroaitou› Yepyep. Glad Google finally got around to approving the Adsense account.
[11:24:14 PM] Absol: ‹@Kuroaitou› we need the info on the wiki, which can otherwise be obtained from the forum
[11:24:55 PM] Kuroaitou: ‹@UTAlan› \:D/
[11:24:59 PM] Odii Odsen: Anybody up for a BL match?
[11:25:19 PM] Kuroaitou: @Absol: Uh... I think I'm getting it.
[11:25:36 PM] Helston: ‹@Odii Odsen› Sure - beat me quick because I should've gone to bed long ago
[11:26:04 PM] Absol: ‹@Kuroaitou› we'll see how this turns out. Well, if you need me to restore the wiki, i'll be there.
[11:26:14 PM] Absol: but for now *lurks* AFK
[11:26:47 PM] Calindu: ‹@UTAlan› Ohai Alan
[11:27:36 PM] Kuroaitou: ‹@Absol› >.> Wait...
[11:27:55 PM] Kuroaitou: So... is the old forum links down?
[11:28:38 PM] Absol: ‹@Kuroaitou› not yet. Also, on the cards section, all card pics are linked to the old forum.
[11:29:11 PM] Kuroaitou: >.>
[11:32:53 PM] Higurashi: Not a problem since the old forum will remain for at least a year.

TL;DR:
1. I proposed that the wiki be integrated to the forum as an alternative solution.
Card articles go to Cards Section (with the OP serve as the article and the rest as the comments)
FGs goes to False Gods Strategy Section (probably merge all the subsections there as they contain only few threads)
Decks goes to Community-recommended Decks (so we can control the deck quality better)
Other articles goes to Tutorials (might need to change the name)
2. Editors are granted access to above subforums.
3. This is just a proposed idea, and is the third option. Of course, now that the old domain has been renewed, we can still use the official wiki.

Going to edit the poll now.
"Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit."
"There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain."

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 77
  • willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Your tears are delicious
  • Awards: 10th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar Correspondent Competition - WinnnerWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Life4th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeShort Story: Rare Mythology Competition Winner
Re: Regarding Wiki migration https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=38367.msg478824#msg478824
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 04:55:11 pm »
Decks goes to Community-recommended Decks (so we can control the deck quality better)
I wouldn't go very far with this idea yet for the reason that we're (we being Deck Helpers) still in the process of polishing up a few things before revealing what should be in that section to the public.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals"

Forum reigned by my mixtape

anything
blarg: