*Author

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg444637#msg444637
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 02:46:48 am »
3) I would like Water to have more major mechanical themes. Freeze is well developed, Alchemy could be embellished more and I cannot think of a third.
Underwater creatures, maybe? (Shard of Patience, Flooding)
Reliance on a single card does not a mechanical theme make. For underwater to be a major mechanical theme there will need to be a second source of standing water.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline mega plini

• Reputation Power: 7
  • mega plini is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • I follow rivers
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWar #5 - Sportsmanship Award
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg444730#msg444730
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:23:20 am »
Reliance on a single card does not a mechanical theme make. For underwater to be a major mechanical theme there will need to be a second source of standing water.
then we should make such a card. I can't see the problem realy
The Moon shines upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Offline TikoTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Blessed is the mind too small for doubts..
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCreator of Architon, False God of the RenaissanceSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of the Song of the Elders CompWinner of the Mythology Card Comp
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg444805#msg444805
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 03:02:02 pm »
I'm still wondering about the continious debate of Flooding..

This is not the card Water is based on, and it shouldn't be; it's only another 'tool' in its repertoire and I strongly believe it should be left that way. Also, it recieved quite a buff recently with the increased slots it cancels (which was one of the best things that could've happened to it, especially considering all the random suggestions thrown around in the 'Buff this..' topic(s)) and with the addition of the mass-buff potential of SoP; despite that the latter is not working as efficiently as it was meant to. I cannot voice my opinion enough, that this way now it functions greatly for what it was created for, particularly when combined with Water's other creature-control options. Just spend some time playing with it, and you'll see.

I see three areas Water can be greatly improved.
1) I would like Mono Water to have more options.
2) I would like Water to have more quanta basis support for its non Mono options.
3) I would like Water to have more major mechanical themes. Freeze is well developed, Alchemy could be embellished more and I cannot think of a third.
I completely agree with OldTrees here, and I'm really curious how could the theme of Alchemy be enhanced.
:water   "..It is in this domain that the living suffer great extremes, it is here that the water-failures, driven to desperation, make start in a new element.
It is here that strange compromises are made and new senses are born."

Offline mega plini

• Reputation Power: 7
  • mega plini is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • I follow rivers
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWar #5 - Sportsmanship Award
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg444853#msg444853
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 06:01:44 pm »
For me flooding isn't just "a tool" but one of the cards with the most flavor in the entire game. That's why I think there should be more interactions with it.
I'm not saying this is my goal, on the contrary, I believe that the cards water need should be focused around flooding because of it's awesome flavor but they should also contribute to reach the main goal which is, in my oppinion that is, to enhence it's mono options. LIke Old trees Says, it is important. I believe flooding can be one of those options.
@oldtrees: Flooding could be this third mecanic you're looking for!
I realise that not all of  :water problems can be solved with flooding (or a card that interacts with flooding). Concernig the quanta issues for exemple.
@master of water: What do you think should be our major priority, creating a new stable  :water quanta source or an entire new mecanic?
The Moon shines upon the innocent and the guilty alike

Offline OldTrees

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg444893#msg444893
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »
For me flooding isn't just "a tool" but one of the cards with the most flavor in the entire game. That's why I think there should be more interactions with it.
I'm not saying this is my goal, on the contrary, I believe that the cards water need should be focused around flooding because of it's awesome flavor but they should also contribute to reach the main goal which is, in my oppinion that is, to enhence it's mono options. LIke Old trees Says, it is important. I believe flooding can be one of those options.
@oldtrees: Flooding could be this third mecanic you're looking for!
I realise that not all of  :water problems can be solved with flooding (or a card that interacts with flooding). Concernig the quanta issues for exemple.
@master of water: What do you think should be our major priority, creating a new stable  :water quanta source or an entire new mecanic?
Underwater like Airborne could be greatly expanded. However the Underwater theme must not require the card Flooding. Preferably it would also expand beyond Floods as a source of standing water.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline TikoTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 16
  • Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Tiko is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Blessed is the mind too small for doubts..
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeCreator of Architon, False God of the RenaissanceSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake4th Trials - Master of WaterWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of the Song of the Elders CompWinner of the Mythology Card Comp
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg445184#msg445184
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »
An alternate quanta source would help out the already existing cards, so I believe it should come first. A new (balanced and also fitting) mechanic for Water would mostly support future additions to the game.

Underwater (aquatic) as a passive could be a nice touch, though I think it'd be too limited to the element itself. Unlike Airborne or Ranged, it'd be hard and somewhat strange to suit creatures from various elements with this attribute.
:water   "..It is in this domain that the living suffer great extremes, it is here that the water-failures, driven to desperation, make start in a new element.
It is here that strange compromises are made and new senses are born."

Offline darkrobe

• Reputation Power: 12
  • darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.darkrobe is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg445217#msg445217
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »
I posted this in the other topic. But to elaborate here. My basic view of water is the following:

Water can deform to fit any container. this leads to a lack of self identity where any duo using water resembles (thematically) the non water element more so than the water element.  :fire :water -> high damage growth.   :death :water -> poison buildup. Nymph tears -> other element specific ability.  :earth :water -> earthquake. Drop the water from those duos and they still make thematic sense. the water is unnecessary. Water needs central themes that other elements can bring out, rather than those elements being expressed in water.
I believe that certain water themes have been underdeveloped. the Freeze/frozen theme is the exception.

The Alchemy connection is rather weak: nymph tears is good. but thats about it. what about scrying pools or tracer fluids or controling flow of the game? The thematics are there, but the cards are not.

The real weakness I see is that the flooding/drowning/underwater theme has been left completely undeveloped. Which is odd because it is something I think would be the highlght of water. This should be the 3rd theme that OT was trying to think up. I believe the issue is that Flooding (the card) sucks all the creative juices out of the theme, because it puts together everything that would be in that theme in one card. Death by drowning, water cards underwater, field control, etc. Any card that tries to break into the Flooding/underwater theme, will run into the issue that it will seem to need to be paired with flooding. and although flooding could use some more combo cards. Water as an element needs more card based around oceans and water and drowning that are not reliant on flooding (the card).

Offline OdinVanguard

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Keeping The Jotnar at bay
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg445403#msg445403
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 09:46:28 pm »
Thanks for starting a topic like this.

Also, it's been a while since I came to the convinction that what Water really needs is a unique, new quanta producer. Sort of like a new Nova or Immolation, only suited for Water (I think a synergy / trio quanta producer would be great). Without entering in too much details as you don't wish to discuss of card ideas, would you agree that a quanta producer would be a good addition / complement to this element's arsenal?
I had a couple ideas for increased water quanta production:
1)  :water :water Refractive Mist Shield: Immaterial, Reduce all incoming damage except direct creature and weapon attacks by 50%. Every point of damage prevented by mist shield adds 1 :water and 1  :rainbow to your quanta pool.
2) Abysal stores: while flooding is in play, each water creature you control that has no active ability and is in a flooded region produces 1 :water per turn and increases your  :water cap by 1. (obviously intended crawlers but will also make opponents think twice before using lobotomize) Art work could be some kind of atlantis looking underwater structure / city
Whether the glass is half full or half empty is a moot point. It is always filled to the brim. It is only a matter of by what. The real question is: What fills you?
If your zombie plan is
kill -9 `ps l | awk '{print $2" "$3" "$9}' | grep "Z" | awk '{printf("%s ",$2)}'`
You might be a unix junky

Offline Pineapple

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Pineapple hides under a Cloak.
  • Master of Cake
  • Awards: Silver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Sailing the Seven Seas - A discussion about Water https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=35175.msg445431#msg445431
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:28:44 pm »
Thanks for starting a topic like this.

Also, it's been a while since I came to the convinction that what Water really needs is a unique, new quanta producer. Sort of like a new Nova or Immolation, only suited for Water (I think a synergy / trio quanta producer would be great). Without entering in too much details as you don't wish to discuss of card ideas, would you agree that a quanta producer would be a good addition / complement to this element's arsenal?
I had a couple ideas for increased water quanta production:
1)  :water :water Refractive Mist Shield: Immaterial, Reduce all incoming damage except direct creature and weapon attacks by 50%. Every point of damage prevented by mist shield adds 1 :water and 1  :rainbow to your quanta pool.
2) Abysal stores: while flooding is in play, each water creature you control that has no active ability and is in a flooded region produces 1 :water per turn and increases your  :water cap by 1. (obviously intended crawlers but will also make opponents think twice before using lobotomize) Art work could be some kind of atlantis looking underwater structure / city

I don't believe this thread is meant for collecting card ideas. If you wish to present card ideas to the community, it would be more apt for you to submit them to The Smithy (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,5039.msg56336#msg56336).

blarg: