*Author

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240335#msg240335
« Reply #324 on: January 04, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »
So if you played a game with a secret weapon, and there was no allusion that the secret weapon may exist, then you would be angry with the developer? Or secret passages? Hopefully you never play any mario games. Starting from the very first one on the very first level there is a hidden block that you can not see and have no reference to in any way shape or form. you could go through the whole game without hitting one, beat it and never know hidden blocks exist in the game. So I guess the designers of Mario didnt know how to make a game either.
This sig was interrupted by Joe Biden

Sir Rebrl

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240338#msg240338
« Reply #325 on: January 04, 2011, 03:27:23 pm »
Did the Mario developers directly imply that those blocks did not exist? Not at all. Does the Voodoo Doll card directly imply that TU should not cause extra damage? Absolutely!

Stop bringing up irrelevant references to prove your point. It's a waste of time and posts. Read my entire post. It's not about the lack of "TU does this," it's about the implied "TU doesn't do this."

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240340#msg240340
« Reply #326 on: January 04, 2011, 03:30:09 pm »
Did the Mario developers directly imply that those blocks did not exist? Not at all. Does the Voodoo Doll card directly imply that TU should not cause extra damage? Absolutely!

Stop bringing up irrelevant references to prove your point. It's a waste of time and posts. Read my entire post. It's not about the lack of "TU does this," it's about the implied "TU doesn't do this."
Really, how is it implied that TU DOESNT do this?

Uppercut

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240342#msg240342
« Reply #327 on: January 04, 2011, 03:32:54 pm »
This is inherently different than Mario. Mario is a game about exploring things, there are obviously lots of secrets because its what would make sense stylistically. Elements is a card game, a game about forming strategies and putting them against other strategies. When a card does something it doesn't even come remotely close to implying it detracts from the quality of the game because it makes building a deck less intuitive.

Sir Rebrl

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240343#msg240343
« Reply #328 on: January 04, 2011, 03:33:42 pm »
If it "survives an attack". Not "if it's alive."
There you go. Now that this has gone on way too long and you've reached a point I can counter with a quote, I'm done arguing.

Uppercut

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240344#msg240344
« Reply #329 on: January 04, 2011, 03:39:59 pm »
TU also doesn't imply it copies all previous effects that happened to a creature. If it did TUing a Phoenix would make an Otyugh grow for every time it was devoured. TU should copy of the current state of the creature without caring how it got to that state.

Voodoo implies that when something actually happens to it it triggers. Nothing happens to the new copy other than a new copy in state x, and nothing happens to the old copy other than having its current state copied.

I fail to see how any of that would hint that it would deal more damage. The reason damage is dealt is because of the internal mechanisms of the game, not because of something you could logically derive from the wording on either card.

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Entropy Has You
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240346#msg240346
« Reply #330 on: January 04, 2011, 03:42:38 pm »
If it "survives an attack". Not "if it's alive."
There you go. Now that this has gone on way too long and you've reached a point I can counter with a quote, I'm done arguing.
So where does it say it doesnt do it any other time? Im still missing that part. Thats the whole point of an easter egg.
This is inherently different than Mario. Mario is a game about exploring things, there are obviously lots of secrets because its what would make sense stylistically. Elements is a card game, a game about forming strategies and putting them against other strategies. When a card does something it doesn't even come remotely close to implying it detracts from the quality of the game because it makes building a deck less intuitive.
Actually, this fits perfectly with elements. You have to know your cards. If you have a better knowledge of the cards than another person, you will have a better chance of winning a battle.

Uppercut

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240348#msg240348
« Reply #331 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:56 pm »
Actually, this fits perfectly with elements. You have to know your cards. If you have a better knowledge of the cards than another person, you will have a better chance of winning a battle.
No it doesn't. A card game where the cards don't actually tell you what they do is poor design. The only way it'd fit with Elements is if Elements is a poorly designed game.

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Entropy Has You
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240350#msg240350
« Reply #332 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:05 pm »
Considering you havent refutted a single point I, or anyone else in this thread that disagrees with you, have made, and instead choose to say that you dont like something so it should be changed,  theres no further reason to continue this.

Uppercut

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240352#msg240352
« Reply #333 on: January 04, 2011, 03:57:25 pm »
Considering you havent refutted a single point I, or anyone else in this thread that disagrees with you, have made, and instead choose to say that you dont like something so it should be changed,  theres no further reason to continue this.
Now you're just being facetious. I already showed how Voodoo nor TU imply damage should be dealt. It might be a good idea to actually read the thread instead of throwing on accusations and declaring yourself right.

Offline Ryli

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 31
  • Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Ryli is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2017 3rd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeIndium DonorArt Competition: Elemements
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240361#msg240361
« Reply #334 on: January 04, 2011, 04:16:31 pm »
Sorry to butt in, but this thread was created for discussing whether or not Voodoo Doll + Twin Universe is too powerful.

Your argument belongs in a new thread

MaddAddams

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240362#msg240362
« Reply #335 on: January 04, 2011, 04:19:31 pm »
TU also doesn't imply it copies all previous effects that happened to a creature. If it did TUing a Phoenix would make an Otyugh grow for every time it was devoured. TU should copy of the current state of the creature without caring how it got to that state.

Voodoo implies that when something actually happens to it it triggers. Nothing happens to the new copy other than a new copy in state x, and nothing happens to the old copy other than having its current state copied.

I fail to see how any of that would hint that it would deal more damage. The reason damage is dealt is because of the internal mechanisms of the game, not because of something you could logically derive from the wording on either card.
I completely agree with this post.  I had seen the builds in my opponents t50 decks and assumed that the combo was to TU before casting gravity pull, letting one run out, and then casting grav pull on the other.  I was very shocked to visit the forums and find that you can basically glitch extra damage out of this.  I consider the behavior nothing less than an OP exploit, as it is NOT in line with what the cards read.

I haven't read through this entire thread, but consider this the voice of the upper intermediate who doesn't visit the forums often.  I did want to respond to one other quote:
Who cares if the card doesnt outright say it, the card also doesnt say that freezing/BB'ing it will freeze the weapon, or that poisoning it will poison you.
This is plain wrong.  Voodoo Doll says 'damage and status'.  Poison was the first status effect I thought of when I saw that text.  While I wasn't sure initially how freeze would resolve, freezing an opponent's weapon is also implied by the card text.

Perhaps this should move to a bug forum thread, but it does seem more of the traffic is finding its way here.

anything
blarg: