*Author

Sir Rebrl

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240013#msg240013
« Reply #300 on: January 04, 2011, 02:34:02 am »
I'm going to stick with this:
"HEY WTF I DIDN'T ATTACK THAT DOLL IT JUST APPEARED?!"

Most people are going to look at it from our perspective. Really, can you come up with a reason not to just reword it if not stop the spontaneous damage?

Offline EvaRia

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I~am~Eva, ~Chillwind~ I~am~Ria, ~Searwind~
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240016#msg240016
« Reply #301 on: January 04, 2011, 02:40:36 am »

Most people are going to look at it from our perspective. Really, can you come up with a reason not to just reword it if not stop the spontaneous damage?
As I said, this is not completely intentional, it's just the way both cards are coded and how that coding process interacts with the other. It shouldn't be recoded just because some people don't like the way the interaction works.

The card could be reworded to reflect it's interaction with TU, but it also makes it inconsistent because it doesn't mention the interaction with any other card.

If you reword it to reflect TU, it should also reflect Delay, Freeze, Infection, etc, and there's just not enough room on the card to do that.

Uppercut

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240020#msg240020
« Reply #302 on: January 04, 2011, 02:43:53 am »
As i stated before, the cards damage is inflicted, it doesnt say the damage inflicted this turn. The damage it has after this neutral attack of being TU'd is the Full-Current.  Before now, that specific doll hasnt done any damage, and its damage has to go somewhere.
The damage is never inflicted to the second doll though. It just comes into play already damaged. We've already gone over what happens mechanically and how the game processes it, but the doll still didn't actually take damage. I'm not saying the combo shouldn't function, I'm saying that if the combo functions the Voodoo should have a second sentence about copies.

Offline EvaRia

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 45
  • EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.EvaRia is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I~am~Eva, ~Chillwind~ I~am~Ria, ~Searwind~
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240029#msg240029
« Reply #303 on: January 04, 2011, 02:53:03 am »
As i stated before, the cards damage is inflicted, it doesnt say the damage inflicted this turn. The damage it has after this neutral attack of being TU'd is the Full-Current.  Before now, that specific doll hasnt done any damage, and its damage has to go somewhere.
The damage is never inflicted to the second doll though. It just comes into play already damaged. We've already gone over what happens mechanically and how the game processes it, but the doll still didn't actually take damage. I'm not saying the combo shouldn't function, I'm saying that if the combo functions the Voodoo should have a second sentence about copies.
That would mean that to be fair to all the other hidden effects in the game, it would also mention that freezing it freezes your opponent's weapon slot, that delaying it delays your opponent's weapon slot, that infecting it poisons your opponent, that damage from GPull counts, etc, etc.

There's no reason to make a single exception for TU to be added into the card text.

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 46
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240031#msg240031
« Reply #304 on: January 04, 2011, 02:55:31 am »

A reason? because, as i stated before, just because you dont agree with something, that doesnt mean that you are right. Im not saying Im right either. I have really just been playing devils advocate, however, all you have stated to defend yourself is "this is what i think, and im right", and instead of acknowledging and discreditting my reasoning, you instead choose ignorance.

Another reason? Because, I think Zanz wants people to be able to figure things out in a game instead of being spoonfed everything. Zanz actually mentioned that voodoo doll has a few easter eggs with it, so I wouldnt be surprised if he intentionally didnt worry about it having the perfect wording for it.

Im sticking with my easter egg point. Zanz seems like he intentionally didnt care about making sure everything was smushed into the card. The nice thing about this being a flash game, and not a normal card game, is that such unwritten rules can exist.
This sig was interrupted by Joe Biden

Sir Rebrl

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240035#msg240035
« Reply #305 on: January 04, 2011, 02:59:17 am »
My problem with it is all the people who don't come here and don't know there are intended easter eggs, and that some rules are supposed to be figured out, since in most things people should be able to expect all the rules to be given.

To be clear, a general disclaimer about unwritten rules would make me as happy as editing the card's text.

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.BluePriest is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Entropy Has You
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240055#msg240055
« Reply #306 on: January 04, 2011, 03:11:49 am »
My problem with it is all the people who don't come here and don't know there are intended easter eggs, and that some rules are supposed to be figured out, since in most things people should be able to expect all the rules to be given.

To be clear, a general disclaimer about unwritten rules would make me as happy as editing the card's text.

I just went onto kongregate. The random pick was boxhead:more rooms. How many rules were there that werent written in the instructions? Well, in the only 3 minutes I played the game (if that) I discovered the gun occasionally auto-aims, the demons can hold each other, and boxes that I thought were defensive structures, were actually pickups, AND the badguys could hurt each other with their shots. Easter Eggs are a part of games. Many have them. Almost no game spoonfeeds everything because the developer likes the players to be able to figure things out on their own.

QuantumT

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240058#msg240058
« Reply #307 on: January 04, 2011, 03:13:19 am »
That would mean that to be fair to all the other hidden effects in the game, it would also mention that freezing it freezes your opponent's weapon slot, that delaying it delays your opponent's weapon slot, that infecting it poisons your opponent, that damage from GPull counts, etc, etc.

There's no reason to make a single exception for TU to be added into the card text.
Except that all of those other things are covered nicely by 'status'.

Im sticking with my easter egg point. Zanz seems like he intentionally didnt care about making sure everything was smushed into the card. The nice thing about this being a flash game, and not a normal card game, is that such unwritten rules can exist.
Being misleading/confusing is not an 'easter egg'. It's one thing to not put everything on the card, it's quite another to do something different that what the card says.

You can claim that isn't true all you want, but to defend your stance, you have to use extremely contrived word definitions to do it.

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Entropy Has You
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240073#msg240073
« Reply #308 on: January 04, 2011, 03:32:14 am »

Except that all of those other things are covered nicely by 'status'.

Being misleading/confusing is not an 'easter egg'. It's one thing to not put everything on the card, it's quite another to do something different that what the card says.

You can claim that isn't true all you want, but to defend your stance, you have to use extremely contrived word definitions to do it.
How are you and the weapon slot the same thing. Why is the weapon slot frozen, and not the shield slot? I dont get how "status inflicted on your opponent" means your weapon gets frozen. GP also isnt copied to the weapon. Each weapon already has a health value. Why cant we destroy the opponents weapon with it? Why arent YOU mutated when I mutate my voodoo doll?

I dont see whats so confusing about this. Just for a moment let us say I didnt see the forum talking about TU duplicating the damage. The opponent plays a voodoo doll. Uses a rage potion on it. 5 damage is done to me. The doll is TU'd. 5 more damage is done to me. My reaction wouldnt be "What the crap happened!" My reaction would be "Huh, the damage from the doll was copied when the doll was copied. Cool" Really, what is so hard about understanding this? Im going to call a friend and pvp him in this game (which he has never played) and seee if he really thinks this is so astoundingly hard to comprehend and see if he feels decieved by the developer, or see if he almost instantly understands what is going on.

How is this misleading and not an easter egg? I dont see that either.

Sir Rebrl

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240079#msg240079
« Reply #309 on: January 04, 2011, 03:37:35 am »
Are you saying you're most people, then? Or that your friend is? Cause most people I've gamed with, and it's a decent number, are more the type to say "What the crap, I didn't attack that one!"

Freezing the player would be a bit much, so the weapon the player is holding gets frozen. The shield didn't attack. Makes sense. How would the player be mutated?

Offline BluePriest

• Legendary Member
  • Entropy Has You
Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240082#msg240082
« Reply #310 on: January 04, 2011, 03:48:20 am »
How many people do you think read this
Elements is a fantasy card game online. The player is an elemental, a spirit composed of an element; elements are the fundamental building blocks of nature. Each elemental has an arsenal of skills that can be used in a duel against another elemental; each skill corresponds to a card. The player can pick which and how many cards to use in the duel and collect them together in a card deck.

Each elemental receives 100 health points (HP) at the beginning of the match, the duel is over when one of the elementals reaches 0 HP or runs out of cards. There are 3 types of cards:
I didnt read it for months after I played the game. I found it on kongregate, as no doubt many of the players have.

What you have there....
Description
Elements is a free fantasy online card game. Hundreds of creatures, spells, magic and artifacts to play with.
Instructions
Mouse
I for the longest time just thought it was a card game. Had no knowlege of me being the elemental. I would have no reason to think that I would have my weapon frozen. HOWEVER, after having my weapon frozen I would think that adrenalineing the voodoo doll would adrenaline the weapon. That doesnt happen.

And I may think "I didnt attack that one" however, its not like Id have a hard time figuring out what happened, and that was my whole point. Its not hard to figure out how voodoo doll works. Especially not compared to adrenaline.

QuantumT

Re: Voodoo Doll https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=9640.msg240085#msg240085
« Reply #311 on: January 04, 2011, 03:49:25 am »
How are you and the weapon slot the same thing. Why is the weapon slot frozen, and not the shield slot? I dont get how "status inflicted on your opponent" means your weapon gets frozen. GP also isnt copied to the weapon. Each weapon already has a health value. Why cant we destroy the opponents weapon with it? Why arent YOU mutated when I mutate my voodoo doll?
The weapon is frozen because it's what I (as an elemental) attack with. Freezing it stops me from attacking, just like freezing a creature stops it from attacking. GP isn't copied because permanents don't have health. Mutation also has no analog.

I dont see whats so confusing about this. Just for a moment let us say I didnt see the forum talking about TU duplicating the damage. The opponent plays a voodoo doll. Uses a rage potion on it. 5 damage is done to me. The doll is TU'd. 5 more damage is done to me. My reaction wouldnt be "What the crap happened!" My reaction would be "Huh, the damage from the doll was copied when the doll was copied. Cool" Really, what is so hard about understanding this? Im going to call a friend and pvp him in this game (which he has never played) and seee if he really thinks this is so astoundingly hard to comprehend and see if he feels decieved by the developer, or see if he almost instantly understands what is going on.
When it becomes an issue is when it's used for a OHKO. You go from facing one doll with some damage taken to being instantly dead. It's not some trivial thing that you can kind of see as you go along. It's game ending.

When I came back after my elements hiatus, I was confused the first time it happened to me. I've played TCGs for years, and I'm in the T50. You know why I was confused? Because there's nothing on the card to indicate that it might function that way, and I had no time to figure it out because the game instantly ended.

How is this misleading and not an easter egg? I dont see that either.
Because it says "If this creature survives an attack". When you TU it, the new creature hasn't survived any attacks, the old one has. Additionally, the new one hasn't even been attacked in the first place, except by some contrived definition of the word.

I don't know why you're so dead set against making the game clearer.

blarg: