*Author

SeddyRocky

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg92386#msg92386
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »
Man, this plus ruby dragon = instant 15 dmg reduction. Add momentum (within gravity) and quint and you are unbeatable. Just quint would be enough in most cases (only fire shield and carapace could damage)

MaxMilen

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg92405#msg92405
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 02:33:46 pm »
Man, this plus ruby dragon = instant 15 dmg reduction. Add momentum (within gravity) and quint and you are unbeatable. Just quint would be enough in most cases (only fire shield and carapace could damage)
Close, anyway. You'll still take damage from spells, and weapons will still hit you. (The card states "creatures" -- intent is that weapons are never blocked by it.) Also, if you can get a creature to be bigger than that Ruby Dragon, then it'll get to attack. (The check uses current attack for the attacking creatures.)

Also, note that it's not damage reduction. Let's say your opponent has Ruby Dragon + Quint + Power Wall, and you get a Lava Destroyer to 17 attack. It'll be hitting for 17, not 2.

Not saying you don't have a point -- you do -- but the kind of thing you're outlining is actually what this card is meant for.

MaxMilen

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg94629#msg94629
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 10:29:50 pm »
Bump...

I could use further feedback. I feel like I may have the text slightly off -- if so, let me know so I can correct it. Also, I'm hoping to get a Curator Comment...

rakazy8564

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg95639#msg95639
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2010, 03:58:12 am »
Close, anyway. You'll still take damage from spells, and weapons will still hit you. (The card states "creatures" -- intent is that weapons are never blocked by it.) Also, if you can get a creature to be bigger than that Ruby Dragon, then it'll get to attack. (The check uses current attack for the attacking creatures.)

Also, note that it's not damage reduction. Let's say your opponent has Ruby Dragon + Quint + Power Wall, and you get a Lava Destroyer to 17 attack. It'll be hitting for 17, not 2.

Not saying you don't have a point -- you do -- but the kind of thing you're outlining is actually what this card is meant for.
OH!! So it does the base check for your strongest creature, but for opponents its their current attack?  Awesome!! ^^  Unfortunately this card will completely destroy non-growth decks.  Still, it's an awesome idea!! ^_^
Why not make it so creatures with 6 or more attack can only attack and increase that to 9 or more for the upped version?  Then again the growth creatures are still a problem .... maybe allow it to still take the base attacks?
You can even make it have charges.  Like it has a charge of 100, and every attack brings this counter down by the amount of the attacking creature's attack (redundant I know xD).  And when you summon a creature add its attack to your shield's counter =D  Or something along those lines =P  ... When you think of it like that ... its sorta like a second health bar xD

MaxMilen

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg96918#msg96918
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 03:57:07 pm »
OH!! So it does the base check for your strongest creature, but for opponents its their current attack?  Awesome!! ^^
Yep, that's the intent. To be even more specific, the intent is that, at the end of each of your turns, your Power Shield/ Power Wall will look for your creature with the highest current attack. It will then use that creature's base attack as the number for checks against attacking creatures. (If there's a tie for highest current attack, it will use the highest base attack among the members of the tie.) Those attacking creatures will have their current attack checked. Creatures with attack greater than that number (or, in the case of the unupped version only, equal to that number) will be able to attack, others will not. Obviously, creatures with Momentum will ignore the check. As far as Adrenaline is concerned, intent is that if a creature meets the check, it will get all of its attacks. Regardless, if a creature does get its attack through, the damage will NOT be reduced.

Also part of the intent is that the weapon in your weapon slot will NEVER be blocked by Power Shield/Power Wall.

Unfortunately this card will completely destroy non-growth decks.  Still, it's an awesome idea!! ^_^
I don't know about "completely destroy", since there are multiple ways to deal with this, but it would put them at a disadvantage. Then again, Wings is going to put decks that don't use airborne creatures, or that don't use many of them, at a disadvantage.

Why not make it so creatures with 6 or more attack can only attack and increase that to 9 or more for the upped version?  Then again the growth creatures are still a problem .... maybe allow it to still take the base attacks?
That would certainly be simpler, and would still fit the overall intent of the card. As far as whether it would check current or base attack... I can see it making sense either way.

You can even make it have charges.  Like it has a charge of 100, and every attack brings this counter down by the amount of the attacking creature's attack (redundant I know xD).  And when you summon a creature add its attack to your shield's counter =D  Or something along those lines =P  ... When you think of it like that ... its sorta like a second health bar xD
Complicated, and I'm not sure how to write it without it being too wordy. Interesting idea, though!

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep these ideas in mind. In the meantime, I of course welcome further feedback.

EDIT: I made a wording correction on the unupped version. I had used the phrase "base power", but the phrase should be, and now is, "base attack".

Offline ratcharmer

• Reputation Power: 10
  • ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • I'm back, it's been a while.
Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg113075#msg113075
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:48 pm »
Hi,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to your request for more feedback on this. There was a shinny object and I was distracted.

My main balancing concern would be something like the following combo:

Ruby Dragon + momentum + Quint
and
Power Wall + Protect Artifact

After playing this you would be completely immune to anything that didn't have an attack score higher than 15. No creatures start with an a attack that high, and very few can be reasonably boosted that high.

Yes it is a 5 card combo from 4 different elements, but they're elements that tend to get along fairly well, and even getting part of that combo out would be really strong. Throw in a couple SOG's and it would be nearly impossible to kill that deck.

MaxMilen

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg113521#msg113521
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 03:44:00 pm »
Hi,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to your request for more feedback on this. There was a shinny object and I was distracted.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I can get like that too -- ooh, shiny! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ptitlem4f37xq499gk)

My main balancing concern would be something like the following combo:

Ruby Dragon + momentum + Quint
and
Power Wall + Protect Artifact

After playing this you would be completely immune to anything that didn't have an attack score higher than 15. No creatures start with an a attack that high, and very few can be reasonably boosted that high.
I could argue that Ruby Dragon + Momentum + Quint is already pretty much a win condition, and that the Power Wall + Protect Artifact could easily be Phase Shields instead.

Yes it is a 5 card combo from 4 different elements, but they're elements that tend to get along fairly well, and even getting part of that combo out would be really strong. Throw in a couple SOG's and it would be nearly impossible to kill that deck.
Sounds like an effective deck, but somehow, I fail to see how Power Wall is responsible for making it broken. Not saying you don't have a point, of course, and it could be creator bias.

That said, if the text fits, I could see giving this a time limit. Considering that Dimensional Shield/Phase Shield is 3 turns and blocks everything, and Wings is 5 turns but a little easier to hit through, maybe this should split the difference at 4 turns.

Thanks for the feedback!

Offline ratcharmer

• ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.ratcharmer is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg113603#msg113603
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 05:23:15 pm »
In case this helps here's a list of ways to (realistically) get past this shield:

Creatures that could be realistically buffed into the range where they can hurt you:
Pegasus (with 2 or more blessings)
Wyvern (as Pegasus)
Light Dragon (with blessings and/or rage potion)
Ruby dragon (with blessing or chaos power, rage potion would kill it)
Anything (with momentum)

Growth creatures:
Forest spirit (would take 7 turns to grow large enough)
Fire spirit (would take 8 turns to grow large enough)
Oty (must eat 16 creatures -> would never happen)
Vulture (15 or 16 creatures must die, very rare to see one this big)
Lava Golem (probably the most credible threat of the growth creatures, but it would still be several turns before it became a threat)

Creatures that could hurt you unbuffed:
Sapphire Charger
A few mutants
Flying Titan
Crysodora

Weapons or spells could hurt you, but if there's any healing involved only :fire and :darkness could have a reasonable shot with these. :gravity could have a shot with momentum. :death might be feasible with arsenic, but not likely.

That may look like a lot, but most of the buff-able creatures require 3 or more cards in 2 different elements, and almost all of the growth creatures would most likely take 7 or more turns to get big enough. A fallen elf could take care of almost any creature that could get through the shield if it wasn't quinted or have momentum.

I didn't bother listing things like photon + 5 blessings, since these are not realistically feasible.

Let me know if I missed anything.

finkel

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg113693#msg113693
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 07:08:29 pm »
I'd like to try to build an anti-FG deck with this card.

Momentums, quintessences, ruby dragons, this, protect artifacts, hourglasses to speed things up. Yeah. Four cards for blocking nearly all the damage most gods can muster sounds a wee bit overpowered. HOLY SHIT. I just got the most intense deja vu ever. I totally lost my train of thought. Sorry.

Offline ratcharmer

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg113731#msg113731
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 07:31:12 pm »
You okay finkle?

The currently existing decks I could see standing a chance against this one would be the :death / :water poison decks and flying titans.

:death / :water would have a decent chance since the main advantage of that strategy is that is ignores almost all shields. However, purify recently got boosted, and would be really easy to fit into a deck using power wall. (it could even act as one of the SOG's to offset weapon damage)

Flying titans would come down to a slugfest of who can deal damage faster. I think it would be a toss up. Many people regard flying titans as overpowered and in need of a nerf though.

*edit :darkness quantum denial might slow you down long enough for a kill, or if someone manages to rush you before you can get the shield in play
 :gravity could make a deck to take this down, but you'd have design your deck around countering this shield.

MaxMilen

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg115040#msg115040
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 02:42:27 pm »
You all make good points. Thoughts on adding a 4-turn time limit to both versions?

Also, if anyone has better art for this, by all means, feel free to show it.

Offline ratcharmer

Re: Power Shield | Power Wall https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=8087.msg115122#msg115122
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 05:05:16 pm »
I think a turn limit could work, I'd put it at 5 though.

There are generally less things that get through this than wings, but this requires a 2 card combo to work. If it's temporary the combo isn't nearly as scary, as you'd need a PA for each shield, which would slow your deck down a lot.

And if you didn't PA it then they could break your shield.

blarg: