*Author

QuantumT

Re: Pact of Blood | Pact of Blood https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12978.msg170701#msg170701
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 08:53:41 pm »
snip

The thing is, as you said, the card advantage is most important at start, so if it costs more it simply doesnt have the same effect. As for the self destruct, since you said the card is overpowered, why would one destroy it? i dont see why you want me to remove it. For the life penalty increased to 10, i think 10 HP is a lot to lose. Thank you for your comments though, always appreciated. :)
My point though is that its card advantage is too good. It's good enough that basically all competitive decks would HAVE to play it.

The reason I said to remove the self-destruct ability is that it takes away basically the biggest drawback of the card. You generally wouldn't want to destroy it, but being able to whenever it's convenient (like when you're being stalled), just makes it too strong. Also flavorwise, it's a pact. Why can you get out of it whenever you feel like it?

The life penalty of 5 is just too low. A pact plus a SoG means i draw double for the rest of the game for free. I think the card would still see use even with a life penalty of 10.

genraenera

Re: Pact of Blood | Pact of Blood https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=12978.msg173044#msg173044
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:42:03 pm »
I agree with QuantumT, this card is OP in its current form.  Lets compare it to a Electrum Hourglass:

Hourglass - 4 :time to summon, 1 :time per turn to use
Pact - 2 :death to summon, 0 per turn to use, -5hp per turn
Pact + SoG - 2 :death plus 3 other to summon, 0 per turn to use

Obviously, the Hourglass is 100% obsolete if this card comes out in its current form.  I would support a cost increase to 4 :death, and a removal of the ability to destroy it.  Just like QT said, a pact is something that cannot be broken, therefore this permanent should be just that, permanent.  Those modifications would nerf it enough to make it strategic, but not OP, seeing as you could easily deck out after using it too early if you get stalled a bit.

anything
blarg: