*Author

Offline OldTreesTopic starter

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 114
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • I was available for questions.
  • Awards: Brawl #2 Winner - Team FireTeam Card Design Winner
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg303694#msg303694
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:21:31 am »
Ahhh, very reminiscent of MTG nonbasic lands... (I've seen them, even though I don't play MTG)
But no! I have to say to have this card be unrestricted would be slack. For example, if one was to use a few on one turn, say 5 (this example guy has no pillars/towers), he could give 5 of his monsters a boost. Especially with air, it could quadruple from:
Unicorn Blitz and Dive(3)x2x2 = 12
Unicorn Blitz and Dive and a few (2) upped monoliths (3+1+1)x2x2 = 20
After this, the additional +1 is constant FOR FREE. The +1|+0 just stays there until endgame, which is quite OP, when there is an unrestricted supply of this. Especially if the upped one STILL creates quanta.
Already, Eclipse gives a bonus, but that comes at a cost.
Your one has no cost (instead, gain!) and a bonus.
Maybe if it created quanta for a set amount of turns OR if it created some by chance, OR if it created some every x amount of turns

I like your art, however :P
You did note that it costs 1quanta more than a pillar|tower right? It is not free especially unupped.
Nightfall gives a global +1|1 bonus for 3 :darkness. 3 Fire Monoliths give +3|0 to 1 creature (or split between creatures) for 3 :fire (or not gaining 3 :fire by not using Towers when upped)

Considering each +1|0 costs 1net quanta do you still find it to be OP?

PS: Blitz and Dive synergize well with each other and with Blessing and Fire Monoliths but all 4 would be a Trio that would require either a Fire Mark or a Fire Pendulum
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
"Nothing exists that cannot be countered." -OldTrees on indirect counters
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline ralouf

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 35
  • ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Elements lover
  • Awards: War #5 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2012 WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg303737#msg303737
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 08:38:07 am »
Show me a deck with only fire monolith and creature with dive ability and I will be almost ok with you.
However i think that abusing this card in a dive deck is pretty imposible.
if playing 3 fire monolith on a dive creature is OP what's about chaos power than can give +5 attck in ONE card for ONE quanta ?
TEAM
:deathbig
War Se7en

agogo

Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304385#msg304385
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 01:24:27 am »
Well, my point is, the upped one is OP! A free attack boost with an equivalent of a pillar? I don't think that's fair...
Yes nightfall, is global BUT SPECIFIC. You can't make your lava golem +1|+1 with nightfall can you?
Even without dive, having an unlimited (or more than 6, should i say) amount of boosts (as pillars/towers are unlimited) is unfair.

see. even this will show you.
Play a 2|1 creature on the first turn.
Play 4 Fire Monoliths, make it 6 attack (for cost of negative 4*turns it lasts)
This creature, after 4 turns SHOULD deal 8 damage
But if the monoliths were used, it would deal 24 damage after 4 turns.
having triple damage over 4 turns, with no cost (upped) and a quanta advantage is quite broken
Might i suggest upping the cost AND effect of the upped on since, a bonus+ pillar would make it a bit OP.
Like 1 :fire 1|1
or 2 :fire 2|1

mine might be UP, but as long as the upped one has a cost/delay/ it would be fairer

• Legendary Member
  • OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.OldTrees is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304390#msg304390
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 01:42:52 am »
Well, my point is, the upped one is OP! A free attack boost with an equivalent of a pillar? I don't think that's fair...
Yes nightfall, is global BUT SPECIFIC. You can't make your lava golem +1|+1 with nightfall can you?
Even without dive, having an unlimited (or more than 6, should i say) amount of boosts (as pillars/towers are unlimited) is unfair.

see. even this will show you.
Play a 2|1 creature on the first turn.
Play 4 Fire Monoliths, make it 6 attack (for cost of negative 4*turns it lasts)
This creature, after 4 turns SHOULD deal 8 damage
But if the monoliths were used, it would deal 24 damage after 4 turns.
having triple damage over 4 turns, with no cost (upped) and a quanta advantage is quite broken
Might i suggest upping the cost AND effect of the upped on since, a bonus+ pillar would make it a bit OP.
Like 1 :fire 1|1
or 2 :fire 2|1

mine might be UP, but as long as the upped one has a cost/delay/ it would be fairer
Ok so we agree about the unupped, now to discuss the upped for better balance. (something I considered was having it cost 1 :fire stock quanta like Supernova costs 2 :entropy stock quanta)

Brimestone Eater + 4 Fire Monoliths = Cost 1 :fire +5 cards, Result 6|1 and 5 :fire per turn
(Eater would be played 2nd turn due to no available quanta)
Brimestone Eater + 4 Towers = Cost -3 :fire +5 cards, Result 2|1 +2damage and 5 :fire per turn
(Affects of first turn play included)
Net difference: Cost 4 :fire, Result 4 damage per turn -2damage
4 net quanta cost for 4 net damage per turn? Does that sound reasonable?
A Pillar<Tower therefore a Tower=Pillar+a bonus
The question is whether the +1|0 is equivalent to the speed and resource bonus of  :fire.
Remember Pillars are slower than Towers.
"It is common sense to listen to the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their readiness to listen to the wisdom of the fool."
Ask the Idea Guru: http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,32272.0.htm

Offline ralouf

• Legendary Member
  • ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.ralouf is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Elements lover
  • Awards: War #5 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeChampionship League 1/2012 WinnerWar #4 Winner - Team DeathWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304548#msg304548
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:35 am »
I can't see what is the interest to empty my hand just to have a 6/1 in the second turn (really OP yes after 17 turn it must deal 102 damage
TEAM
War Se7en

agogo

Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304552#msg304552
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2011, 08:58:47 am »
I can't see what is the interest to empty my hand just to have a 6/1 in the second turn (really OP yes after 17 turn it must deal 102 damage
ralouf1

well, the point of playing the monolith is to get quanta.... Having a quanta source plus a bonus might be OP, but if there's a cost, then all is good.

Offline ralouf

• Legendary Member
  • Elements lover
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304555#msg304555
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2011, 09:10:22 am »
I see the things like this : The upped monolith has a cost because an upped tower cost -1 and this one cost 0.
TEAM
War Se7en

agogo

Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304573#msg304573
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 10:05:13 am »
I see the things like this : The upped monolith has a cost because an upped tower cost -1 and this one cost 0.

The upped monolith has no cost. Please read the card carefully. An upped tower cost cannot be "-1". [This one] doesn't make sense

• Legendary Member
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304724#msg304724
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2011, 04:37:49 pm »

The upped monolith has no cost. Please read the card carefully. An upped tower cost cannot be "-1". [This one] doesn't make sense
A tower gives you a quanta when played. Hence it has a (-1quanta +1card) casting cost.
A upped monolith does not give a quanta when played. Hence it has a (0quanta +1card) casting cost
The upped monolith has a cost because (0quanta +1card) > (-1quanta +1card

)
The interest in using this monolith would be to have additional freedom in choosing your other cards for your deck because some of your damage dealing is taken card of for a price.

Offline ralouf

• Legendary Member
  • Elements lover
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304832#msg304832
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2011, 08:11:14 pm »
what I mean is that :
If I play fire rush I think that
turn 1 : *2 spark *2 cremation *3 lava golem is VERY  better than turn 1: tower brimesome eater and 5 fire monolith
TEAM
War Se7en

• Legendary Member
Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg304847#msg304847
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2011, 08:30:56 pm »
what I mean is that :
If I play fire rush I think that
turn 1 : *2 spark *2 cremation *3 lava golem is VERY  better than turn 1: tower brimesome eater and 5 fire monolith
Indeed it is not a rush card. It is counterintuitively a stall support card.

agogo

Re: Fire Monolith | Fire Monolith https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=23495.msg305144#msg305144
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 06:58:58 am »
Then you'd use the monolith on the Lava Golem... *facepalm* when you get it
Oldtrees i see your point but look on this side
A tower creates 1, ONLY 1 extra quanta - for speed. What good is 8 extra quanta when playing 8 towers? A lot.
BUT!
An upped monolith creates +1|+0 for as long as a creature is alive.

equation where x=amount of towers played and y= number of turns since play:
Towers:
(x+x*y)
Pillars:
(x*y)
Monolith
(x*y) but it's got a bonus attack power, which would be (x*y)

Towers give a measly extra x, which is pretty much darn useless, unless you get an awesome combo of the perfect amount of towers/creatures. I mean, if x=5 and y=4, after 4 turns (since y=4), towers will create 25, whereas monoliths create 20+20 DAMAGE. That is equivalently more than a tower creates quanta. Increase y, and you'll see that monolith gets boosted twice with the y.
Is 20 damage worth more than 5 quanta? That is the question...  :-\

blarg: