*Author

Offline bucky1andonlyTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 9
  • bucky1andonly is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
St. Elmo's Light | St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg375260#msg375260
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:02:03 pm »
NAME:
St. Elmo's Light
ELEMENT:
Air
COST:
6 :air
TYPE:
Permanent
TEXT:
:air :air : Target creature does not attack and is immaterial for the next two turns.
NAME:
St. Elmo's Fire
ELEMENT:
Air
COST:
5 :air
TYPE:
Permanent
TEXT:
:air :air : Target creature does not attack and is immaterial for the next two turns.  Deal 1 damage to the creature.
ART:
St. Elmo's Fire (http://www.howitworksdaily.com/environment/what-is-st-elmo%E2%80%99s-fire)
IDEA:
bucky1andonly

Offline n00b

• Reputation Power: 21
  • n00b is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.n00b is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.n00b is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.n00b is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Nom.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg375262#msg375262
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 09:05:13 pm »
Nice... kinda like an air Ballisk Blood, except not as severe... nice idea :)
Gone for awhile now, though I still pop by from time to time.

Offline moomoose

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 37
  • moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.moomoose is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • I'm big in Japan.
  • Awards: Winner of the Mark Redesign competition!
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg375270#msg375270
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27:03 pm »

also, where does it say on that page that the image isnt copyrighted?

as for the card itself, it seems more like a :light or :aether thing than :air
moose dont say moo.

Offline Hyroen

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • like. follow. tweet.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWar #10 Winner - Team AirSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSkill of the Elemental : Mark of ProtectionWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg375275#msg375275
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »
I really enjoyed this idea until I found the Elmo advertisement at the bottom of the page. xD

Anyways, very interesting idea.  You might need to find another art source however, try your own hand at drawing it. I've tried a few times recently and it hasn't been -that- hard.
I also enjoy how the name St. Elmo's Light | St. Elmo's Fire parallels with the quanta production of the Firefly | Elite Firefly.

I would however recommend that the upgraded version not damage creatures. It reduces the flexibility of the card. :air Air can be a very vulnerable element and at times it may be convenient to just use their skills as opposed to have them attack. Maybe a reduction in play cost and activation cost would be a worthy upgrade.

Very good card overall. Kudos bucky. You may have just earned my vote in the Crucible. ^_^

Quote from: Wikipedia
Scientific explanation
St. Elmo's fire is, in fact, a mixture of gas and plasma (as are flames in general, and also stars). The electric field around the object in question causes ionization of the air molecules, producing a faint glow easily visible in low-light conditions. Approximately 1000 volts per centimeter induces St. Elmo's fire; however, this number is greatly dependent on the geometry of the object in question. Sharp points tend to require lower voltage levels to produce the same result because electric fields are more concentrated in areas of high curvature, thus discharges are more intense at the end of pointed objects.

Conditions that can generate St.Elmo's fire are present during thunderstorms, when high voltage is present between clouds and the ground underneath, electrically charged. Air molecules glow due to the effects of such voltage, producing St. Elmo's fire.

The nitrogen and oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere causes St. Elmo's fire to fluoresce with blue or violet light; this is similar to the mechanism that causes neon lights to glow.
WAR X - TEAM :air AIR

[EtG Council]   |   [Card Ideas & Art]   |   [Guilds]

• New to Elements
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg375338#msg375338
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 01:32:56 am »
The image may change, I did email the site asking for permission to use the image and explained what it will be used for, just waiting for a response.

The light/fire thing is just a coincidence, the wiki for St. Elmo's Fire has in brackets St. Elmo's Light, which is the same thing just a different name.  But the reason for the 1 damage is drawn from the name, fire = ouch, so I figured add 1 damage to make it different than the unupped one.

• New to Elements
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg382369#msg382369
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:11:42 am »
bumping for more comments hopefully, but also for more from me.

A player could use this on their own creatures.
ex/
Use on a lava golem first turn it comes into play (only the unupped version, the Light) to prevent it from attacking when your opponent has a fire shield in play.
Use on a creature that has an ability you NEED to use next turn to survive, but your opponent has a turtle shield in play, so normally it would be stopped for a turn, but it doesn't attack, but can still use its ability.

Use on your opponents creatures.
ex/
Player is playing a voodoo deck, use on a voodoo doll so the player cannot use spells on it.
Use the upgraded version on small creatures to pick them off, or slowly pick off a larger creature.

Voodoo possible effect
-ideas welcome, i cannot think of any

Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg382386#msg382386
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:15:18 am »
Sweet card idea, light creature protection, with a downside. Very versatile, which is always great, I love cards which you will use differently between games.

I'm not going to pretend I understand the name, or the theory behind it, but basically, it's a permanent for air, and it's awesome.

Also agreeing with the +1 damage thing. With a card like this, where you won't always be able to plan how you're playing it, it doesn't make a huge amout of sense to put a potentially large change in the mechanic. (Like upgrading a firefly to use in a hope deck... what?)

For voodoo - immaterial is good, that screws things up. Also maybe negating the effects of a shield for two turns? (Shield becomes transparent/ish so you can see that its effects will do nothing)

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg384849#msg384849
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 03:10:41 am »
CURATOR COMMENT
-Please remove the excess :air icon in the ELEMENT section of your tables. 'Air' suffices for the description of the card's element, and 'Air air quanta' is not necessary.

The first one seems more situational than the upgraded version, but I see where the mechanic is coming from. I wonder if the use of Adrenaline with this card would allow creatures to bypass the delay, thus allowing them to reap full benefit of the immateriality in case you don't care about what shield you're attacking against?

Also, this would be a (fun) way to remove Freeze/Congeal off your creatures, assuming that the Freeze/Congeal effect is fresh. This doesn't stack with the Warden's "Guard" ability, correct?

• New to Elements
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg384903#msg384903
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 06:54:39 am »
-removed the air icons-

I would figure the unupped one would be a bit more useful, since you can use it on your own creatures without giving them damage.
As for adrenaline, that would really be up to how zanz would want to code it, but I would think it should act like it does with freeze and stopping creatures.

It would stack with the guard ability, it only lasts one turn anyway, so it would make little difference.  But maybe this could remove that stopping effect like immaterial does with freeze.

Offline Hyroen

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 52
  • Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.Hyroen brings all the vitality and activity of a Life Nymph.
  • like. follow. tweet.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWar #10 Winner - Team AirSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSkill of the Elemental : Mark of ProtectionWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: St. Elmo's Light/St. Elmo's Fire https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=29436.msg385052#msg385052
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 05:19:49 pm »
[nitpicking]
bucky, is it possible to change the title of the thread to "St. Elmo's Light | St. Elmo's Fire" just for Crucible consistency?
Plus, I think it looks a little more organized.

You don't have to of course, just a recommendation.
[/nitpicking]

Also, 5* for awesome :air Air card. ^_^
WAR X - TEAM :air AIR

[EtG Council]   |   [Card Ideas & Art]   |   [Guilds]

blarg: bucky1andonly