*Author

Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg170495#msg170495
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 02:18:40 pm »
Nice idea! I like it.

Offline hainkargaTopic starter

• Reputation Power: 25
  • hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerRent a deck - WinnerWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWar #5 Winner - Team AetherWinner of Sideboard #3 PvP Event
Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg170508#msg170508
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 02:51:36 pm »
However, doesn't this card kind of nullify itself?  If you draw this card, you now must sacrifice a creature to get to the card you would have otherwise gotten, had you left this card out of the deck...  Sundial and hourglass counter this by serving dual purposes (sundial) and lasting more than one turn at no significant cost (hourglass).
This card has multiple purposes:
1- Exchanging one of your creatures with a new card. This is the one that you observed to be nullifying. Unlike Hourglass, it is not "almost free" to draw a new card. You would hardly sacrifice your dragon for a new card, but you can trade a rendered useless creature such as a frozen creature, a creature with low AP in case your opponent has a shield that nullifies its damage, a creature that is most likely going to be eaten by an Otyugh.

2- Disposing a harmful creature: This permanent counters Antimatter and malignant cell till the end of game unless its destroyed.

3- Combo with creature generating. You can eat up your own zombies which aren't really a card you played, or you can sacrifice fractaled creatures.

4- Gives you a way to control your Bone Wall's charges. Hence; shreding bones of a creature you own to defend yourself.

5- Provides another way to draw a card since it asks no quanta.

The card can be tweaked while keeping the general idea of sacrificing a creature for a card. Please do tell me what you think. Thank you.

Some examples with increased effects and casting cost;

Healing Necro;

Bone Wall generating Necro; Doesn't replace your current shield unless its already Bone Wall, in which case it adds charges. (2 from Bone Wall + 2 from this card)

Meritocratic Technocracy

kobisjeruk

Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg170517#msg170517
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:22:08 pm »
just some correction on the description (given how much this card reminded me of Necronomicon in DotA)
Necronomicon is actually a book on demon summoning/resurrection ritual, not sacrificial ritual which is the theme that you're going for with this card

Necronomicon creator in DotA hit it right on the nail with what is portrayed by HP Lovecraft :-

(http://www.dotastrategy.com/item-32-Necronomicon.html)
Price: 2700

Requires:
Belt of Giant Strength
Staff of Wizardry
Necronomicon Recipe Scroll

Gives:
15/21/24 Intelligence
6/10/14 Strength
Active: Demonic Summoning
Summons a Necronomicon Warrior and a Necronomicon Archer to fight for you, their strength and abilities are dependant on the Necronomicon's level. Lasts 35 seconds. 50 manacost. 90 seconds cooldown.
Note: Buy recipe to upgrade (3 levels).

• hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.hainkarga is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerRent a deck - WinnerWinner of Team PvP #6Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeWar #6 Winner - Team AetherWar #5 Winner - Team AetherWinner of Sideboard #3 PvP Event
Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg170527#msg170527
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »
just some correction on the description (given how much this card reminded me of Necronomicon in DotA)
Necronomicon is actually a book on demon summoning/resurrection ritual, not sacrificial ritual which is the theme that you're going for with this card

Necronomicon creator in DotA hit it right on the nail with what is portrayed by HP Lovecraft :-
It means book of the dead, not demons. As "necro" actually means dead. Comes from the greek word Necropoleis which means graveyard (city / place of the dead). Necrosis in medicine (dead tissue), Necrophilia in perversion (sweet love with the dead : P). So its more about the deads than the demons.

Have you read Dreams in the Witch-House ? or watch Masters of Horror episode. That is written by Lovecraft himself, and the witch who is using Necronomicon extends her lifespan with the blood of their victims, eventually killing them (first making them kill a baby in a ritual on a tomb & with a cursed dagger. Evil shit!). Her hive is full of human bones that she killed with ritual sacrifice using Necronomicon (just as i'm going with my card theme). So in Necronomicon, there are at least ways that teaches how to perform blood rituals and kill victims for your own benefit. So i trust rituals of sacrificing the living suits the theme just fine. (Even more so than summoning demons)

Here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dreams_in_the_Witch_House
Meritocratic Technocracy

kobisjeruk

Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg170926#msg170926
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 01:01:14 am »
i take back what i've said
seems like you put a lot of effort into researching the history behind the name
whereas i only took a glance at wiki and a bit biased after the necronomicon from DotA...

and totally forgot about 'necro' reference in M:tG which actually encompass a whole lot more than just summoning or resurrecting, including paying a resource (life) to gain another resource (cards)
you probably dont know what i'm taking about if you dont play M:tG but suffice to say you hit it right on

Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg172263#msg172263
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2010, 07:17:04 am »
I know what you are talking about, you mean Necropotence card in magic the gathering. I used to play it a lot, like 8 years ago. I still keep tons of very old magic cards that would make around a thousand dollars :)
Meritocratic Technocracy

Daxx

Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg172355#msg172355
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2010, 01:50:23 pm »
I am a huge fan of this card. It fits in with Death's theme nicely - permanents that do things as creatures die, and sacrificing your own creatures to get things. It synergises well with existing Death cards and contributes towards a mono-deck. It also gives death a little bit of card draw that can't just be shoehorned easily into a rainbow.

Offline Kuroaitou

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 82
  • Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.Kuroaitou is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeMaster of Mafia10th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSilver DonorSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Necronomicon - Necronomicon https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=13496.msg175270#msg175270
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:54 pm »
CURATOR COMMENT
-Leave the ATK|HP section of the table completely blank if the card is -not- a creature (do not put 'None' if the card is a permanent)
-Choose an upgraded card for your final selection, or else your card idea may not be submitted for the competition...
-Fix the title of your post; the correct formatting is Necronomicon | Necronomicon

Personally, the 'healing' card (sort of a death pact from Warcraft) upgraded-version of Necronomicon seems 'better' than the one that adds Bone Wall charges. Some death decks tend to rely on other shields, and having two counters of 'immortality' from creature attacks can't compare to protected shield effects and whatnot.

blarg: