*Author

Offline shadow303Topic starter

• Reputation Power: 8
  • shadow303 is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Never stop trying to improve.
  • Awards: Winner of Design An Award Icon Competition! [WC Edition]
Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1029237#msg1029237
« on: January 06, 2013, 02:00:38 pm »
Hi artists,

since I'm currently experimenting with different graphic programs (especially on iOS) and there are a lot of experienced artists here, I thought I could open this thread to discuss a bit about graphic programs.

Lately I was using the following programs on iOS:

Brushes
Free
iOS
Really cool brushes, probably the best for a free iOS apps, with additional brush-settings, but layers only if you pay, so a bit hard to work with.

Scrapbook Express
Free
iOS
Lots of features (also 3 layers) for a free program, like a fill tool, geometric objects.. Also quite nice brushes with several possible settings.

Inspire Pro
Free
iOS
No layers, not even an eraser and only 10 undo steps in the free version, but the example art you get is great and the smudge feature is just cool. It's also quite intuitive - I somehow like it.

I heard also good things about Procreate, but did not yet test it, because there is no free version.

Has anyone tried other iOS apps to create graphics and can give a feedback what those programs can do? What are you guys using?

Bye
shadow303

Offline Shrink

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Shrink is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Shrink is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Shrink is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Awards: You are Our Only Hope WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1029242#msg1029242
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »
I run off a PC, so I've yet to use any of those programs.
I do own a copy of Adobe Design Premium CS5, which includes Flash, Photoshop, Illustrator, and a couple other programs.

I don't use Flash nearly as much as Illustrator and Photoshop. I use Photoshop for all of my digital paintings while I use Illustrator for more playful applications like graphic designs. I strongly recommend spending the money someday for Adobe's great products because I've yet to find anything as high a quality.

Doctor Death

Offline vrt

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1029327#msg1029327
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 06:52:08 pm »
Photoshop.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1029337#msg1029337
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:48 pm »
Well I know Photoshop is for sure the greatest graphics application for Windows / Mac, it has so much functionality for filters, brushes, patterns, layers, effects and so on, there is nothing comparable regarding functionality. Anyway it also costs really lots of money and if you are not a commercial graphic designer, you may also get decent results with Paint.Net (which I find really great for a free application) or Gimp (which I personally don't like, because it's not very intuitive, even though it has many functions) without spending any money.

Also my question was more focused on iOS apps for IPad.
I did not yet try the Photoshop Express app (which is free for IPad), but as I've read it's reduced to photo manipulation functions, so not really useful for painting.

Any other suggestions for that platform?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 07:21:11 pm by shadow303 »

Offline vrt

• Reputation Power: 40
  • vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.vrt soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Elitist Graphics Whore
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeCard Art Competition 1st Place
Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1029343#msg1029343
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:29:00 pm »
I really strongly dislike Apple products, so I'm afraid I'll be of no help there.
So long and thanks for all the fish!

Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1029347#msg1029347
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 07:41:05 pm »
I really strongly dislike Apple products, so I'm afraid I'll be of no help there.
Ok.. wasn't intended to open a platform related discussion here :)
(I'm not at all an Apple-fanatic, but rather a Microsoft fan for many things - my IPad is the first Apple product I ever had or used.)

Offline Kamietsu

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1030121#msg1030121
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:53:38 pm »

I'm not sure about the iPad but you could check out Paint Tool Sai. it is a very popular one that replicates the feel of actually painting(colors won't just go over another color but will start to combine together and the like) Not sure if there is a way to get it on the iPad since it isn't an english native program and there exists a patch to make it english. But it is worth a check out anyway if you are interested.
╔╦╦═╦══╦╗  ( ̄ー ̄) --Snorlax says:
║═╣╬║║║║║    Eat your shower, brush your toothpaste, take your teeth.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Offline OdinVanguard

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 67
  • OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.OdinVanguard walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Keeping The Jotnar at bay
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1030200#msg1030200
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 01:58:25 am »
For those on unix based platforms (Mac and Linux), GIMP is a good free program which can do a lot of the same things photoshop can... though admittedly, photoshop is better if you have the cash.
Whether the glass is half full or half empty is a moot point. It is always filled to the brim. It is only a matter of by what. The real question is: What fills you?
If your zombie plan is
kill -9 `ps l | awk '{print $2" "$3" "$9}' | grep "Z" | awk '{printf("%s ",$2)}'`
You might be a unix junky

Offline artimies7

• Reputation Power: 24
  • artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.artimies7 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Effectively Super
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1030206#msg1030206
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 02:20:11 am »
I usually use Ultimate Paint.
Donuts, Noodles, or Bacon?
Whitewalleries! | Noodles, to Victory!

Re: Graphic Applications https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=45728.msg1030458#msg1030458
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 07:57:34 pm »
I'm not sure about the iPad but you could check out Paint Tool Sai. it is a very popular one that replicates the feel of actually painting(colors won't just go over another color but will start to combine together and the like) Not sure if there is a way to get it on the iPad since it isn't an english native program and there exists a patch to make it english. But it is worth a check out anyway if you are interested.
On IPad you can only use IPad apps, but I may try it on my PC (if I get rid of the installation issues, seems this is localized for some asian language - maybe Japanese? - and the installer does somehow not like my German windows :D)
The feature that you describe sounds quite similar to the features of Inspire Pro (IPad) that I listed above, which is a cool to work with for painting.

For those on unix based platforms (Mac and Linux), GIMP is a good free program which can do a lot of the same things photoshop can... though admittedly, photoshop is better if you have the cash.
I tried Gimp some time ago (btw: it works on Windows too), it certainly doesn't lack on features, but I personally felt it to be not really "userfriendly" - at least I had issues on performing the simplest tasks, which mades me think of a not really intuitive GUI..

I usually use Ultimate Paint.
At first sight this somehow reminds me of the good old Deluxe Paint that I used decades ago ;) ..but as all applications, it will for sure have its strengths.

Thanks all for your feedback.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 08:00:42 pm by shadow303 »

anything
blarg: