*Author

Offline Boingo

• Reputation Power: 26
  • Boingo is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Boingo is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Boingo is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Boingo is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Boingo is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220809#msg220809
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2010, 05:04:22 am »
I will need more time in the trainer with this card, but so far I don't know why everyone wants a cost increase here.

Aether has got to be the slowest element by a long stretch. There is no "aether rush" deck mostly due to the high cost of its cards already.  Adding this card to a mono-aether deck won't give you a huge advantage, since it'll give you 1 turn to draw another card, but at a cost that will likely mean you cannot play that immortal/dragon for another turn.  So not an early game card, but mid-to-late game it could be huge as you can now play dim shields without worrying about spell PC (pulvy/BE/mutants still problematic) but only for a turn.  A so-so card, but certainly not too cheap and does not balance the fractal cost increase IMHO.
Bring back Holy Cow!

Memorystick

Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220830#msg220830
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2010, 05:58:15 am »
silence is fine
the only 'fix' it needs imo is allowing your opponent to play nothing else but their pillars/pendulums for the turn
Kobis, you're a bloody genius. I second the exemption of pillars and pends from silence- that'd make it much less powerful when chained from the first turn.

Offline catalyzeme

• Reputation Power: 0
  • catalyzeme is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: War #3 Winner - Team Fire
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220885#msg220885
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2010, 07:46:53 am »
I'm interested to see the FG repercussions of this card. 2 aether means you can play 1 per supernova you play. Consistently outrushing FGs with either an Immo+supernova deck or just a normal rainbow rush might become a possibility. Gods like Miracle and Divine Glory *seem* like they would basically be freebies once this gets added to rainbow FG killers, although it might work out differently than I expect. As a primarily AI playing player, I am excited about this card, although my first thought about it was that it was overpowered. I could just be wrong, in practice.

MrSexington

Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220893#msg220893
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2010, 07:57:31 am »
I haven't read the rest of the thread but... my first impression is that this card needs to have its cost doubled or tripled.  Yeah, it's that bad.

On paper this is a really cool card.

In practice, I equate it with counter spells, land destruction, and discard in MTG.  Not being able to play isn't fun.

(Rage Quit what...?  I don't know what you're talking about... But you know what I'm saying.)

Offline catalyzeme

• Reputation Power: 0
  • catalyzeme is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: War #3 Winner - Team Fire
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220898#msg220898
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2010, 08:10:59 am »
In practice, I equate it with counter spells, land destruction, and discard in MTG.  Not being able to play isn't fun.

I agree with this point. I've found it easy enough to chain sundials 4-5 turns with a poison deck, and those are frustrating enough to get played against you. Just not being able to play for 4-5 turns straight just wouldn't be... fun. The way cards work in this game, it seems like no matter what your opponent is doing you can say "man, I wish I had X in my deck/hand." What could you do to counter this card? If your opponent plays it, you can't even counter it with itself.

When I heard that a card called Silence was being developed, I was under the impression it would stop *both* players from playing, which would still be very effective if you were trying to build up quanta vs a faster deck, or stop cards late-game that could turn the match around. I don't see why it isn't that. It would be powerful and far less controversial. More importantly, if you are going to suck the fun out of your opponent's game, you don't get to play either.

Once it enters the game, I plan to incorporate it into a couple FG decks, mostly to stop Miracles, but also to slow down other FGs in the early-going. I use Amilir's Flying Titan deck pretty often and I think it would work great as a way to prevent early damage before you start chaining Dim Shields. It would make them much easier to time, as you would know when the FG is going to do a big creature drop. However, I really hope it's not nearly as effective/annoying for PVP as I anticipate.

I would certainly be excited to see it enter the actual game as-is, but I hope a prompt nerf would be made if it was clearly overpowered.

kobisjeruk

Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220899#msg220899
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2010, 08:14:33 am »
*snips*
funny coming from the creator of a very unfun-to-play-against-deck archetype

twinsbuster

Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220900#msg220900
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2010, 08:19:56 am »
I love chaining.
chaining phase shield, sundial, nightmare, black hole, silence, whatever...
WoW! Now I have a lots to chain!

Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220907#msg220907
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2010, 08:45:17 am »
I agree with this point. I've found it easy enough to chain sundials 4-5 turns with a poison deck, and those are frustrating enough to get played against you. Just not being able to play for 4-5 turns straight just wouldn't be... fun. The way cards work in this game, it seems like no matter what your opponent is doing you can say "man, I wish I had X in my deck/hand." What could you do to counter this card? If your opponent plays it, you can't even counter it with itself.
Difference being of course the Sundials can be destroyed.  Silence is a spell card, so presumably nothing can counter it.

Offline Essence

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Voice of the Oracle -- Jezzie's Pimp -- Often Gone
  • Awards: 2nd Trials - Master of Water1st Trials - Master of WaterFG Deck-Designer - The OutcastsShard Madness! Competition WinnerEpic 3 Card Design Competition WinnerElder Recruiter
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg220981#msg220981
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »
silence is fine
the only 'fix' it needs imo is allowing your opponent to play nothing else but their pillars/pendulums for the turn
Kobis, you're a bloody genius. I second the exemption of pillars and pends from silence- that'd make it much less powerful when chained from the first turn.

Actually, I agree with this in theory, though I'm not as certain that silence needs the nerf.  But if it turns out to need one, this should be the only one it needs.
If something happens and you think it deserves my attention, feel free to PM me. Other than that, I'm probably here if you want to shoot the breeze.

Offline ~Napalm

• Reputation Power: 25
  • ~Napalm is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.~Napalm is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.~Napalm is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.~Napalm is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.~Napalm is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Nerf the Shards, Buff the Cards!
  • Awards: 4th Trials - Master of Fire3rd Trials - Master of FireWar #3 Winner - Team FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg221137#msg221137
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2010, 06:12:41 pm »
So I'll just post all my thoughts on this card. Take them or leave them, no need to flame.

At first, I was very afraid of an early game Silence Chain shutting you down for multiple turns. But any good rush will have a shot at standing up to a deck that has 6 Silence in it, slowing it down substantially.

This would not even come close to requiring a MonoAether deck with it's current cost. Right now, it's not very hard to splash this at all. I had a Lava Rush with Aether Mark and Silences that brutally assaulted AI3. So violent, I stopped playing it after about 10 tests because it made the matches one sided. Why bother fighting when your opponent can't fight back? Just hack the game...

As I tested it more, I became increasingly worried about "Game Over" chaining. IE, you get out enough damage to kill off your opponent in X turns, while at the same time, you hold X Silence cards. You now have an uncounterable chain to win the game. There is nothing you can possibly do to stop this, except rush them by getting more damage out than they can. But if they decided to slow down the deck even more and make a Dim Shield/Silence Stall, a Mono Deck,  they only need 17 dmg on the field to kill you in 6 turns, and there is nothing you can do about it, except pack Momentum, Pulverizer, or Butterfly Effect.

These are the two issues I have with this card. Raising the cost will only fix one of them. I don't care who you are, what you have to say to me, or why you have to say it, An uncounterable kill chain, once set up, is broken. EDIT: I seem to have forgotten about abilities of things on the field. If you have powerful enough abilities, you can get around it. I still find it a very troublesome card however. Making it as easy to splash as it is now, any decent rush can splash these and set up an end game kill chain. [/edit]

The biggest problem with this card is PvP. I can understand why people who only play AI would love this card, but in a PvP setting, this card can become terrible annoying and quite broken.

Some solutions have been suggested. I'm all for having it be reflectable. I'm also in total agreement with allowing opponents to play pillars/pends. These two things combined would, IMO, make it a much more balanced card, but another possibility is somehow having it affect both players. IE, you can't play anything on your next turn either. Yes, this makes it less powerful, but would still be very useful in say, speedbows.

Again, just my thoughts on the card. You can take them or leave them. Just don't flame.

"Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire."

Offline coinich

• Reputation Power: 19
  • coinich is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.coinich is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.coinich is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: War #5 Winner - Team Aether
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg221139#msg221139
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2010, 06:15:19 pm »
This card should be in Time.  Then it would be golden! :D

Offline Xinef

• Reputation Power: 15
  • Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.Xinef is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Fluttershy's samurai
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake
Re: Silence https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=17264.msg221157#msg221157
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2010, 06:40:22 pm »
This card should be in Time.  Then it would be golden! :D
IMHO :air should have control over sound, and I'd prefer some other new card for Time. We already got Dune Scorpion last update. I don't want another card that is so annoying that people would curse it every Time they see it, not because of it's OPness, but rather because of how annoying it is :P

I'd be most grateful for a medium cost offensive creature, or a new shield... or maybe an expensive spell to join Miracle and Fractal theme. Or just about any other awesome idea Zanz comes up with, although I'd say Time needs a bigger buff right now.
May the force of the D4HK side be with U ^_^
:time samurai

blarg: