*Author

Scaredgirl

WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422466#msg422466
« on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:20 pm »
>> CLICK ME << (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AgB8fZX7y8kydHBtU0RNOC1yeFk2cTRIRzhCaDFyekE&single=true&gid=55&output=html)

It's time to go through all the 13 skill trees and make them "perfect". Main goals are:

1. Make all the skills fit to the theme of their path
2. Balance skills between different skill trees
3. Make big changes now that we have the technology trees and City buildings
4. Make skills cool and interesting

Others are not 100% ready yet because I've been busy with Council and religious debates :) Still I went ahead and posted this Death one. We'll make a couple of the trees ready before starting Earth.

:deathbig

Needs some work. I introduced a new concept, Souls, that I think will work pretty nicely.

Souls
Players with Harvest a Soul skill gain one Soul when they defeat a player or NPC in battle. Souls are like Relics basically, you collect them in your inventory and use them for other skills.

I'd like :death champ skill be about consuming 1, 2 or 3 Souls, with the effect increasing based on how many Souls you collect. It would be like collecting "energy" to perform some special move in an arcade fighting game.

Post ideas, thanks.

Offline Jappert

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Jappert is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • New to Elements
  • Awards: War #4 - Sportsmanship AwardVery Short Story: Who are the Elders? WinnerThe Binder of Elements (Forum Profile Deck Winner)
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422508#msg422508
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 08:45:34 pm »
I have some issues with Death March.

The fact that you can't move on the next turn is very harsh, especially on a big map with few players like in Beta. This really makes this skill very situational since the only time were it gives a clear advantage over the "2x move action " is when you can trade/charge/train etc right after. Apart from Unholy ressurection the :death tree has no skills that can be activated while standing about on the map (like treasure hunting, creating cards, etcetc).

Definately a very weak movement skill compared to others.

Suggestion:
I was thinking we could do something with graves. Maybe graves appear on the map when ppl die in PvP and Death players can use those to travel (for a set ammount of time while the corpse is still moist ofc) Seems very situational also and useless early on... I'll think it through some more in a bit.

Offline Shantu

• Reputation Power: 21
  • Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • In high orbit
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeMaster Duelist - Winner of the Duels of Honor PvP Event6th Trials - Master of DeathThe 1st Avatar - Winner of the PvP EventWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House Cup1st Champion of The ColosseumWeekly Tournament WinnerParolee of the 1st Prisoners DilemmaSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422554#msg422554
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »
Death March
I thought and still think that it is too weak. I understand that it is a final push kind of thing, but Jappert's idea of linking Death's fast travel skill to dying players is pretty good in my opinion. I believe that it would be worth looking into.

Curse of the Undead
2 days seem very short. If you think about it, in 2 days you won't even fight after resurrecting because you need to get back to where you were; the only use I see it have is during sieges when the opponent player can't avoid the effect. Also, the player could easily have some Death cards to use with the mark, so it may not even be all that useful. I would like to see the duration returned to what it was previously.

Rotting Disease
The buff is nice. :)

Harvest a Soul
Interesting change. Although I liked the old one better (lots of extra xp, no bias at all ::)), this could work too. Just make sure the skills requiring souls will be strong enough, because amassing souls won't be all that easy.
The skill's name would probably sound better as Soulharvest or as Harvest Souls.

Blood of the Undead
I don't know how useful this is mainly because I don't know what "Tier 1 and Tier 2 positive and negative skills and environmental effects" consist of. The word "positive" is something I don't like there, but until we know what they are, we won't know how strong or weak this skill is.

Poisonous Cloud
I like the change, though the earlier version was more in line with its prerequisite, Rotting Disease. This change makes it more useful however, which is certainly good.

Unholy Resurrection
The change of cost is nice, a way to utilize souls. The drawback seems okay.

Wither
The increasing upgrade loss over the 3 duels make it very weak in my opinion, and will most certainly cause problems when players forget to remove upped cards from their deck. Instead of the number of duels determining the loss of upgrades, you could use Souls to increase it. Have it start from 4 or 5 and increase it with 4 or 5 for every soul you use before the battle.

As for the souls, my idea would be to allow them to be used for most (or higher level ones only?) Death skills to enchance their effects. Apart from the Wither idea above, for example, souls could increase the Rotting Disease discarding by 1 or 2 per soul or allow one more hex of movement with Death March for every soul you consume.

Offline YoungSot

• Reputation Power: 18
  • YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • SootySot!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422570#msg422570
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 11:07:55 pm »
Death March
Change to "Next Day you cannot use more than one movement action."

Weaken
I like the idea. I can't decide if it's quite good enough for t3. Perhaps buff it to 15hp or less?

Unholy Resurrection
I think this would be fine without the "no ups for 1 day" penalty, seeing as how Aether can already perform similar tricks with a t2 skill.

Poisonous Cloud
Like other "force your opponent to discard" skills, there's not a lot of motive for a player to use this skill. Nap and I had an alternative that would be more effective:
"Poison an adjacent hex. Non-allies in that hex discard 1 card per day until entering a city or town. Additionally, forest hexes become dead forest hexes."
This attempts to control your opponent by creating a strong incentive to flee back to a town quickly, but one that could be ignored if the need to stay put was important enough. It also moves deforesting to death.

Rotting Disease
Anyone you fight, win or lose? :0 That'll be so annoying as a non-death player. I like it.

Animate Mummy/Bone Dragons
This is mostly useful to make extra money by selling the extra cards. Whether or not these are balanced depends on how much money can be made by typical work actions and such. Assuming dragons are valuable, this seems fairly balanced compared to beta standards of income. Once again though it depends on how income works.

Harvest a Soul
Souls seems like a nice mechanic. Perhaps having souls should have an innate benefit to, so that this skill is not too reliant on getting the higher skills, and so that the higher skills don't have to be OP to make up for a lower skill that's little more than a prerequisite. The benefit could be something simple like +ups = the number of souls you possess, or it could be something more unusual, such as allowing you to lose a soul instead of discards after a lost battle.

Wither
Shantu's suggestion seems like it could work. It's effective without souls, especially on lower level characters, but against characters with a lot of ups you would spend a couple souls to weaken them considerably.

Blood of the Undead
Hard to judge this before we've decided what environmental effects there are and what the other t1 and t2 skills are, but this seems good enough for now. Might need to clarify that the inability to receive "positive" skill effects only applies to the skills of other elementals used on you, since you're hopefully not negating your own skills.

Curse of the Undead
The change to "if you lose" is an interesting buff. I vote it should just require the to fight their next battle with a death mark, rather than a giving a number of days, or short of that at least increase the duration so that there's a higher chance the opponent will actually fight during that time.

Offline the dictator

• Reputation Power: 17
  • the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422594#msg422594
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 12:16:54 am »
Curse of the Undead: Feels really week, you won't likely run into a fight in two days, but that depends on the number of players.

Rotting Desease: I like it, though for thematics and to make it more interesting I would like to add the following: "Stacks. Rotting ends when killed."

Harvest a disease: I really love the idea, we only need to find some use for souls. You said it would be like some kind of relic, how about the folllowing (first something else, please make relics and souls stack in your inventory): Souls can be used with any activated still (with or without relic) to improve the skill: Consume one soul to increase all the numbers (that is 1,2,3 and not one, two, three, for balancing reasons) in the skill distriction by one. That might make for some real usefull duo's, but it needs the Loyalty/Devotion three to have some active skills, or going death mono wouldn't be that usefull. Would also be a nice buff to death march: consume one of your souls to speed up some more, might be a bit overpowered though.
[18:28:55] Acsabi44: grinding is about pwning the AI as fast as possible
Back from a long break.
:water War Veteran - 4 times
Because inverted art is awesome - Looking for a tool for gather stats for arena, look no further

Offline Zaealix

• Reputation Power: 6
  • Zaealix is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Former Gravity apprentice-currently Water aligned.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422636#msg422636
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:50:22 am »
Using Souls and Relics interchangably is most likely a good idea.
However, something occured to me about those Animate Mummies/Animate Bone Dragons abilities, namely, that they would make discarding skeletons, Bone Dragons, and Mummies each much less painful, as there would be a decent chance of getting more. Now, if I recall correctly, All towns had X amount of Cards that one could purchase. The problem here, is that this inflates the number of those cards considerably, perhaps even indefinatly, possibly giving  :death an advantage, and opening some...Intriguing strategies, to say the least. :P
*Water Guild*

Scaredgirl

Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422801#msg422801
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
I have some issues with Death March.

The fact that you can't move on the next turn is very harsh, especially on a big map with few players like in Beta. This really makes this skill very situational since the only time were it gives a clear advantage over the "2x move action " is when you can trade/charge/train etc right after. Apart from Unholy ressurection the :death tree has no skills that can be activated while standing about on the map (like treasure hunting, creating cards, etcetc).

Definately a very weak movement skill compared to others.

Suggestion:
I was thinking we could do something with graves. Maybe graves appear on the map when ppl die in PvP and Death players can use those to travel (for a set ammount of time while the corpse is still moist ofc) Seems very situational also and useless early on... I'll think it through some more in a bit.
I don't really agree with Death March being UP. Being able to reach a destination one Day early can be huge in some cases. As for being situational, all movement skills work like that. In fact, Death March is probably less situational than the average movement skill because you can use it anywhere on the map.

I dislike the idea of graves because of having one new thing that has to be added on the map during updating process, but I love the concept so I see no other option than to implement it. :) Graves do one other cool thing, which is to show everyone where battles took place after they have happened. The problem with the old system was that people just disappeared. If we have a grave, that shows people that "zomg, someone died there!".

Not sure what you mean by "Death players can use those to travel". The way I would do it is keep Death March as it is (I like the basic mechanic of rush&rest), but remove the limitation if the players lands on a hex that has a grave on it. This would make things interesting because you could do some grave-hopping if the circumstances are right.

Graves should now have some other functions as well. Maybe we can incorporate then in other skills and/or skill trees.

Death March
I thought and still think that it is too weak. I understand that it is a final push kind of thing, but Jappert's idea of linking Death's fast travel skill to dying players is pretty good in my opinion. I believe that it would be worth looking into.

Curse of the Undead
2 days seem very short. If you think about it, in 2 days you won't even fight after resurrecting because you need to get back to where you were; the only use I see it have is during sieges when the opponent player can't avoid the effect. Also, the player could easily have some Death cards to use with the mark, so it may not even be all that useful. I would like to see the duration returned to what it was previously.

Rotting Disease
The buff is nice. :)

Harvest a Soul
Interesting change. Although I liked the old one better (lots of extra xp, no bias at all ::)), this could work too. Just make sure the skills requiring souls will be strong enough, because amassing souls won't be all that easy.
The skill's name would probably sound better as Soulharvest or as Harvest Souls.

Blood of the Undead
I don't know how useful this is mainly because I don't know what "Tier 1 and Tier 2 positive and negative skills and environmental effects" consist of. The word "positive" is something I don't like there, but until we know what they are, we won't know how strong or weak this skill is.

Poisonous Cloud
I like the change, though the earlier version was more in line with its prerequisite, Rotting Disease. This change makes it more useful however, which is certainly good.

Unholy Resurrection
The change of cost is nice, a way to utilize souls. The drawback seems okay.

Wither
The increasing upgrade loss over the 3 duels make it very weak in my opinion, and will most certainly cause problems when players forget to remove upped cards from their deck. Instead of the number of duels determining the loss of upgrades, you could use Souls to increase it. Have it start from 4 or 5 and increase it with 4 or 5 for every soul you use before the battle.

As for the souls, my idea would be to allow them to be used for most (or higher level ones only?) Death skills to enchance their effects. Apart from the Wither idea above, for example, souls could increase the Rotting Disease discarding by 1 or 2 per soul or allow one more hex of movement with Death March for every soul you consume.
Idea with Curse of the Undead was that the player you BEATS you, gets the debuff. This would act as a great defensive skill because it would slow down the rush-attack of opposing elements, unless they are comfortable with fighting with a :death mark. Example: :life player beats :death player and is cursed for 2 Days. During those 2 Days the :life player will be more vulnerable to attacks because not only does he or she has to use a mark that might not fit for them, their opponent knows for a fact what the mark will be.

Current Wither is just a placeholder. I'd like to change it into something less boring, something that has 3 different effects:

Effect when consuming 1 Soul
Effect when consuming 2 Souls
Effect when consuming 3 Souls

Death March
Change to "Next Day you cannot use more than one movement action."

Weaken
I like the idea. I can't decide if it's quite good enough for t3. Perhaps buff it to 15hp or less?

Unholy Resurrection
I think this would be fine without the "no ups for 1 day" penalty, seeing as how Aether can already perform similar tricks with a t2 skill.

Poisonous Cloud
Like other "force your opponent to discard" skills, there's not a lot of motive for a player to use this skill. Nap and I had an alternative that would be more effective:
"Poison an adjacent hex. Non-allies in that hex discard 1 card per day until entering a city or town. Additionally, forest hexes become dead forest hexes."
This attempts to control your opponent by creating a strong incentive to flee back to a town quickly, but one that could be ignored if the need to stay put was important enough. It also moves deforesting to death.

Rotting Disease
Anyone you fight, win or lose? :0 That'll be so annoying as a non-death player. I like it.

Animate Mummy/Bone Dragons
This is mostly useful to make extra money by selling the extra cards. Whether or not these are balanced depends on how much money can be made by typical work actions and such. Assuming dragons are valuable, this seems fairly balanced compared to beta standards of income. Once again though it depends on how income works.

Harvest a Soul
Souls seems like a nice mechanic. Perhaps having souls should have an innate benefit to, so that this skill is not too reliant on getting the higher skills, and so that the higher skills don't have to be OP to make up for a lower skill that's little more than a prerequisite. The benefit could be something simple like +ups = the number of souls you possess, or it could be something more unusual, such as allowing you to lose a soul instead of discards after a lost battle.

Wither
Shantu's suggestion seems like it could work. It's effective without souls, especially on lower level characters, but against characters with a lot of ups you would spend a couple souls to weaken them considerably.

Blood of the Undead
Hard to judge this before we've decided what environmental effects there are and what the other t1 and t2 skills are, but this seems good enough for now. Might need to clarify that the inability to receive "positive" skill effects only applies to the skills of other elementals used on you, since you're hopefully not negating your own skills.

Curse of the Undead
The change to "if you lose" is an interesting buff. I vote it should just require the to fight their next battle with a death mark, rather than a giving a number of days, or short of that at least increase the duration so that there's a higher chance the opponent will actually fight during that time.

I think the Grave buff fixed Death March (assuming it was UP in the first place)

10 seems like a better number imo. If that is not enough, then it should be 20, but I think 10% decrease in HP is no joke. I can list a million matches which I have won after being <10 at some point.

Unholy Resurrection is already 1 Day no ups.

The issue with "discard 1 card per Day" is that players have to do it manually. With systems like that, organizers constantly need to observe that players do make these discards. A lot of work and room for user error. Poisonous Cloud is boring though.. I was thinking about something where it would last longer and move with the wind direction, assuming we will implement wind direction as suggested in that other topic. I've been trying to find ways to use wind, and poisonous cloud seems like a logical choice for something like that.

Hmm.. changing Curse of the Undead to that could work, although thematically I find it more logical that the curse ends after some time, rather than potentially lasting indefinitely. I also think that if you cannot get rid of the curse, it could be pretty OP. I'd prefer if players could wait it out.

Curse of the Undead: Feels really week, you won't likely run into a fight in two days, but that depends on the number of players.

Rotting Desease: I like it, though for thematics and to make it more interesting I would like to add the following: "Stacks. Rotting ends when killed."

Harvest a disease: I really love the idea, we only need to find some use for souls. You said it would be like some kind of relic, how about the folllowing (first something else, please make relics and souls stack in your inventory): Souls can be used with any activated still (with or without relic) to improve the skill: Consume one soul to increase all the numbers (that is 1,2,3 and not one, two, three, for balancing reasons) in the skill distriction by one. That might make for some real usefull duo's, but it needs the Loyalty/Devotion three to have some active skills, or going death mono wouldn't be that usefull. Would also be a nice buff to death march: consume one of your souls to speed up some more, might be a bit overpowered though.
The way I planned Curse of the Undead was that it would basically be a defensive skill that prevents a big rush attack by forcing opponents to wait for their curse to end. We could maybe increase the duration to 3 Days..

Yes, Rotting Disease is supposed to end when you die. Also, one mechanic I haven't added yet in the description is the victim further spreading the disease. Idea is that anyone with the disease will infect anyone who they are fighting with. This way infecting one person could potentially infect tons of players. Players with Rotting Disease or Blood of the Undead would be immune though.

I like the idea of using a Soul to improve any skill, but it could be a nightmare to balance it and write the description. I mean we would basically have to go through ALL the skill trees. I don't know how that would be possible. Only simple way would be to use it to decreasing AP cost or something.

Offline Shantu

• Reputation Power: 21
  • Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Shantu is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • In high orbit
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeMaster Duelist - Winner of the Duels of Honor PvP Event6th Trials - Master of DeathThe 1st Avatar - Winner of the PvP EventWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House Cup1st Champion of The ColosseumWeekly Tournament WinnerParolee of the 1st Prisoners DilemmaSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422818#msg422818
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:19 pm »
Oh, I missed the "player who defeated you" part in Curse of the Undead. Not sure if this is better than cursing the person you beat, but the duration still seems very short. I like 4 or 5 days, or YoungSot's idea - for the next X duels. Dying should remove the curse I think.

Raise Undead looks interesting, but I wonder how useful it is going to be. Depends on how long Graves stay I guess and if teammates can raise undead from the same grave after you.

My idea of how to utilise Graves in fast travel:
"Kill yourself and spend the next day in the Spirit World. Afterwards awake in a grave anywhere on the map."
If anywhere is too strong, use maybe "in a grave on a neutral or your element's hex." This skill could also be used with Unholy Resurrection to achieve a Shadow Leap kind of effect: you kill yourself and next day (or the same day? I don't know) your ally raises you beside him.

Offline YoungSot

• Reputation Power: 18
  • YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • SootySot!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg422871#msg422871
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 06:07:43 pm »
Poisonous Cloud

Wither

Curse of the Undead

I think the Grave buff fixed Death March (assuming it was UP in the first place).
Yeah it will probably be fine with that change.

10 seems like a better number imo. If that is not enough, then it should be 20, but I think 10% decrease in HP is no joke. I can list a million matches which I have won after being <10 at some point.
Definitely 10 is not meaningless, but I'm unsure how often over the course of playing the event that this skill will make a difference. What if we add "20hp or less if the battle occurs on a hex with a grave." That would add another interesting theme for death players in that they are stronger in areas where there have been lots of recent deaths.

I was suggesting we remove that drawback, since they already have to consume a soul, and since aether can already do similar things with a t2 skill. I think it could just be "Consume a Soul to resurrect one of your dead allies at your current location."

The issue with "discard 1 card per Day" is that players have to do it manually. With systems like that, organizers constantly need to observe that players do make these discards. A lot of work and room for user error. Poisonous Cloud is boring though.. I was thinking about something where it would last longer and move with the wind direction, assuming we will implement wind direction as suggested in that other topic. I've been trying to find ways to use wind, and poisonous cloud seems like a logical choice for something like that.

Hmm.. changing Curse of the Undead to that could work, although thematically I find it more logical that the curse ends after some time, rather than potentially lasting indefinitely. I also think that if you cannot get rid of the curse, it could be pretty OP. I'd prefer if players could wait it out.
Ok having the option to wait it out makes sense, but it should be long enough that waiting it out without consequence is the exception to the rule. It needs to be long enough that you'd have to go a little out of your way to avoid battles if you wanted to escape fighting with a death mark. I'm thinking something like "If you lose a battle, the player that defeated you must use a death mark in their next battle if they fight one within 6 days." So you only ever have to fight one battle with the mark, and it's possible (but difficult) to avoid it altogether.

Yes, Rotting Disease is supposed to end when you die. Also, one mechanic I haven't added yet in the description is the victim further spreading the disease. Idea is that anyone with the disease will infect anyone who they are fighting with. This way infecting one person could potentially infect tons of players. Players with Rotting Disease or Blood of the Undead would be immune though. Sounds cool. I have to ask though, We can track a disease spreading from player to player as a t1 skill but it's too much work to require players to discard a card each round as a tier 2 effect?

I like the idea of using a Soul to improve any skill, but it could be a nightmare to balance it and write the description. I mean we would basically have to go through ALL the skill trees. I don't know how that would be possible. Only simple way would be to use it to decreasing AP cost or something. Ooh lowering ap cost sounds fun! We should make souls able to decrease the ap cost of any skill requiring ap by 1 per soul spent.

Offline Essence

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 57
  • Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.Essence is truly a Titan, worthy of respect and acknowledgement.
  • Voice of the Oracle -- Jezzie's Pimp -- Often Gone
  • Awards: 2nd Trials - Master of Water1st Trials - Master of WaterFG Deck-Designer - The OutcastsShard Madness! Competition WinnerEpic 3 Card Design Competition WinnerElder Recruiter
Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg425364#msg425364
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 07:19:28 pm »
Definitely 10 is not meaningless, but I'm unsure how often over the course of playing the event that this skill will make a difference. What if we add "20hp or less if the battle occurs on a hex with a grave." That would add another interesting theme for death players in that they are stronger in areas where there have been lots of recent deaths.
^^ Pure awesome
If something happens and you think it deserves my attention, feel free to PM me. Other than that, I'm probably here if you want to shoot the breeze.

Scaredgirl

Re: WoE - Skill polishing - Death https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=33493.msg426811#msg426811
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:43:13 pm »
My idea of how to utilise Graves in fast travel:
"Kill yourself and spend the next day in the Spirit World. Afterwards awake in a grave anywhere on the map."
If anywhere is too strong, use maybe "in a grave on a neutral or your element's hex." This skill could also be used with Unholy Resurrection to achieve a Shadow Leap kind of effect: you kill yourself and next day (or the same day? I don't know) your ally raises you beside him.
"Kill yourself" is wording we cannot use for obvious reasons. We might be able to use mechanics like that if we word it differently, like using less descriptive and cooler version of "Enter Spirit World".

Poisonous Cloud

Wither

Curse of the Undead

I think the Grave buff fixed Death March (assuming it was UP in the first place).
Yeah it will probably be fine with that change.

I was suggesting we remove that drawback, since they already have to consume a soul, and since aether can already do similar things with a t2 skill. I think it could just be "Consume a Soul to resurrect one of your dead allies at your current location."

Ok having the option to wait it out makes sense, but it should be long enough that waiting it out without consequence is the exception to the rule. It needs to be long enough that you'd have to go a little out of your way to avoid battles if you wanted to escape fighting with a death mark. I'm thinking something like "If you lose a battle, the player that defeated you must use a death mark in their next battle if they fight one within 6 days." So you only ever have to fight one battle with the mark, and it's possible (but difficult) to avoid it altogether.

Yes, Rotting Disease is supposed to end when you die. Also, one mechanic I haven't added yet in the description is the victim further spreading the disease. Idea is that anyone with the disease will infect anyone who they are fighting with. This way infecting one person could potentially infect tons of players. Players with Rotting Disease or Blood of the Undead would be immune though. Sounds cool. I have to ask though, We can track a disease spreading from player to player as a t1 skill but it's too much work to require players to discard a card each round as a tier 2 effect?

I like the idea of using a Soul to improve any skill, but it could be a nightmare to balance it and write the description. I mean we would basically have to go through ALL the skill trees. I don't know how that would be possible. Only simple way would be to use it to decreasing AP cost or something. Ooh lowering ap cost sounds fun! We should make souls able to decrease the ap cost of any skill requiring ap by 1 per soul spent.
"20hp or less if the battle occurs on a hex with a grave." is a pretty good idea imo. I added that.

I think that the drawback in Unholy Resurrection fits perfectly to both the theme and the gameplay. Resurrection is "unholy", meaning it's not as effective as a regular resurrection, hence the small debuff. Gameplay-wise it prevents :death from making a surprise attack using this skill.

I think it makes more sense thematically if a curse lasts the whole duration and does not end when you go to battle. I think the skill is more interesting as something that debuffs you for a short period of time, rather than something that either guarantees you have to fight that one battle with :death mark, or wait a long time. If the player cannot fight for 6 Days, it's not going to be fun for that player.

I'll look at the rest later.

blarg: