*Author

Scaredgirl

Re: Visual improvements to skill trees https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32694.msg413768#msg413768
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 03:46:09 pm »
Love the new trees. :) They're absolutely wonderful now that they're vertically aligned/merged versus the horizontal spreadsheet.

Just a sidenote... where would the 'relic' icon go? ^^; There doesn't seem to be a space to put the 'This skill uses a relic' symbol, unless I'm missing something. Other than that, the little details about what each skill does (Movement, Special, Crafting, etc - note that 'Buff'/'Target' are the same one though >.>) is a HUGE plus for readability.
I tried to find a good place for the relic icon but didn't really find any that I was happy about. I decided to just skip it, and use:

A) Cost underlined to show a Relic is needed
B) "Consume a Relic.." added to description

It's not optimal but too many icons might make things too confusing, plus there is the space issue.

Offline YoungSot

• Reputation Power: 18
  • YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.YoungSot is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • SootySot!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Visual improvements to skill trees https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=32694.msg413791#msg413791
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 04:34:29 pm »
(I'd really like to a see an 'extra' skill tree representing skills gained from certain guilds, 'acheivements', and quests, too :) )
This was definitely a good idea. I added the title, which both looks cool and now I can put the name of the ability in the box, instead of using the old weird system where the name was the path, and the name of the ability was in the description.

(I'd really like to a see an 'extra' skill tree representing skills gained from certain guilds, 'acheivements', and quests, too :) )
I've been thinking about the "bonus" skill tree a bit, but I still haven't figured out what is the best way to do it. I guess the main choices are:

A) Use skill points to access those skills
B) Gain those skill by other means, like joining a guild, finishing a quest, etc.
Achievements in particular would be great fun! I think it would be neat to have a list of achievements (accumulate 5000 electrum in a bank, Die at least 6 times, etc) with specific (though minor) skill-like benefits that you get when you complete them. So getting a ton of electrum might give you the "moneybags" skill, where city banks give you slightly better interest rates. Or dying a lot might give you "Frequent Die-er Miles", which would give you an electrum reward when you died.

It would simply be treated like a new skill tree in most ways, though without the tree style progression.

anything
blarg: