*Author

Scaredgirl

The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg213704#msg213704
« on: November 30, 2010, 05:39:00 pm »
I'd like to talk a bit about the Arena.

It's going to the special building of "other", located in the center of the map in Outlaw City. It's basically a gladiator arena, where players can join by paying cash, and possibly winning big prizes.

The way it works is that player enters the Outlaw City hex and announces he wants to join the Arena. He will then pay the admission and fight in a 16-man tournament. Winner gets all the admission money paid by others plus some extra.

Tournament would be a regular single-elimination tournament held during a course of 3-4 WoE rounds.

We could even have spectacle events, where the best gladiators fight "beasts" (upped themed decks controlled by NPC) for some rare prizes.

I'm not sure yes but there might be smaller "other" towns as well. If that is the case, then these towns can have their own version of the Arena, but with only max 8 participants and smaller prizes.

If you have any ideas, let me know.

Krahhl

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg213925#msg213925
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:15:54 pm »
There could be higher rewards for winning multiple tournaments (maybe in a row).

Or even just some sort of arena point system, with each win giving a few points and later rounds giving more, and a large number granted for winning. Points could either be used like reputation, with more points opening up more reward possibilities, or they could be used directly as currency, with better rewards costing more arena points.

This would make the arena a more competitive place and fit the role-playing theme, unless the arena is supposed to just be a come, win or lose, and go thing.

Offline Kamietsu

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 47
  • Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.Kamietsu is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • Old to Elements
  • Awards: Spell Art Competition WinnerWinner of the MASH-UP CompetitionFunny Card Competition WinnerWinner of
Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg213927#msg213927
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 11:17:58 pm »
The main central city arena could be a regular tournament, but maybe some of the smaller ones in surrounding outlaw towns could have special rules, limiting how players duel each other, kind of like we have now with all the different tournaments. That way it stays fresh and hopefully active, and it's possible the could change every few turns or every week, something like that.

I think winning the submission electrum is a good idea, but it should be the top three winners. the person who comes in first wins the most electrum, second places wins less, and the third wins just barely more electrum than they paid to get in.
╔╦╦═╦══╦╗  ( ̄ー ̄) --Snorlax says:
║═╣╬║║║║║    Eat your shower, brush your toothpaste, take your teeth.
╚╩╩╩╩╩╩╩╝

Malduk

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214346#msg214346
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 02:05:52 pm »
Mount & Blade has tournament system where tournaments are held in different towns all round the map. I think same system can be in place here. Players could choose to travel to distant towns for the tournament (another bonus of having good reputation would be gaining passage and entering the town), or wait for tourney to be organized in their town.

Issue with tournaments here is that they have to be smallish if we want them to finish within one "turn".
PvP tournaments should give electrum, as said, and NPC fighting tournament should give a card or something (say 1 upped card for beating the last NPC). All tournaments should have a submission fee.

IMO, its a great game within the game. There should probably be one organizer for those tournaments (as only NPC player, I can volunteer here). Tournament goers should gain reputation with the home town (fraction) of the tournament if he wins it too, as in order to be able to participate in tourneys, one would have to keep good rep with surrounding elements.

Scaredgirl

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214362#msg214362
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 02:31:41 pm »
There could be higher rewards for winning multiple tournaments (maybe in a row).

Or even just some sort of arena point system, with each win giving a few points and later rounds giving more, and a large number granted for winning. Points could either be used like reputation, with more points opening up more reward possibilities, or they could be used directly as currency, with better rewards costing more arena points.

This would make the arena a more competitive place and fit the role-playing theme, unless the arena is supposed to just be a come, win or lose, and go thing.
I like to keep things as simple as possible, and while "arena points" might make things interesting, they introduce a new form of currency to already complex event. It's also not very realistic if you can buy things like reputation.

Better way in my opinion would be to just have pre-determined prizes, and top-3 winners would get both the rewards, and a fixed amount of reputation.

We also need a PvP gladiator ladder, that has all the top gladiators of WoE.

The main central city arena could be a regular tournament, but maybe some of the smaller ones in surrounding outlaw towns could have special rules, limiting how players duel each other, kind of like we have now with all the different tournaments. That way it stays fresh and hopefully active, and it's possible the could change every few turns or every week, something like that.

I think winning the submission electrum is a good idea, but it should be the top three winners. the person who comes in first wins the most electrum, second places wins less, and the third wins just barely more electrum than they paid to get in.
Again, makes things a bit more complex, but is probably manageable. Could be used in storytelling as well. For example one town might have a "water pit arena" where you are forced to use :water cards. Just an example.

Mount & Blade has tournament system where tournaments are held in different towns all round the map. I think same system can be in place here. Players could choose to travel to distant towns for the tournament (another bonus of having good reputation would be gaining passage and entering the town), or wait for tourney to be organized in their town.

Issue with tournaments here is that they have to be smallish if we want them to finish within one "turn".
PvP tournaments should give electrum, as said, and NPC fighting tournament should give a card or something (say 1 upped card for beating the last NPC). All tournaments should have a submission fee.

IMO, its a great game within the game. There should probably be one organizer for those tournaments (as only NPC player, I can volunteer here). Tournament goers should gain reputation with the home town (fraction) of the tournament if he wins it too, as in order to be able to participate in tourneys, one would have to keep good rep with surrounding elements.
I think having a tournament in each city would be too much. Arenas are more epic when you need to travel long distances to find one.

Finishing a tournament in one turn is impossible because of timezones. I said 3-4 turns in my original post but that was just an estimate. It might have to be even more than that.

I'd like to keep NPC tournaments as special events that you need to earn the right to participate. Otherwise we might have a situation when our NPC guy (currently only you) has to fight multiple times during a round, which might not be possible). We could of course help the situation a bit by having more NPC's but I think that PvP tournaments would be more fun because you are fighting other WoE players.

Malduk

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214366#msg214366
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 02:39:34 pm »
I think having a tournament in each city would be too much. Arenas are more epic when you need to travel long distances to find one.
No, not in each city at once, but 1 tournament at the same rate as you'd have in that single Arena, but having it in different Town every time, instead of having it at the same place all the time. Would add some more dynamics.

With rest, I agree.

Scaredgirl

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214369#msg214369
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 02:47:54 pm »
No, not in each city at once, but 1 tournament at the same rate as you'd have in that single Arena, but having it in different Town every time, instead of having it at the same place all the time. Would add some more dynamics.
Sure, I like it.

Having smaller tournaments, every time in a different town, and then one big tournament in Outlaw City, sounds good to me. We could even have a system where you need to get some reputation from smaller tournaments before you can even enter the big tournament in Outlaw City. You need to work your way to the top to win the awesome prizes.

Daxx

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214386#msg214386
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 03:17:49 pm »
How often would the tournaments be? If you wanted to allow people to compete in multiple events, you might want to make them once every 10 turns so people have a chance to travel to the next city. It would lead to an interesting "travelling circus" effect, almost.

Scaredgirl

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214398#msg214398
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 03:51:12 pm »
How often would the tournaments be? If you wanted to allow people to compete in multiple events, you might want to make them once every 10 turns so people have a chance to travel to the next city. It would lead to an interesting "travelling circus" effect, almost.
I'd have one active at all times. Would be impossible to participate in all of them, but if the order was knows, people could travel to the correct town in advance.

Besides being able to join all of them would be a bad idea because then we would have too many people wanting to join. Keep in mind that the smaller tournament will be 8-man tournament.

Offline Glitch

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214399#msg214399
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 03:55:31 pm »
If you wish to fight an opponent while in a city, you must do so in the arena.

Daxx

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214402#msg214402
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 04:05:53 pm »
How are you going to handle having more or less than 8 people show up to any given event? First come first served? Filling in the blanks with npcs?

Scaredgirl

Re: The Arena https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16710.msg214734#msg214734
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 02:34:17 am »
If you wish to fight an opponent while in a city, you must do so in the arena.
Yes. Other than arenas, there's no fighting inside a city.

How are you going to handle having more or less than 8 people show up to any given event? First come first served? Filling in the blanks with npcs?
We probably have to pick those 8 by random. We could of course look at time stamps of all the players wanting to join and see how joined first, but that would be unfair again players who have a timezone that means they sleep every time a new round is posted (we try to do that roughly around the same time each time.

I think randomizing is the most fair solution because everyone has a chance.

blarg: