*Author

Scaredgirl

Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212331#msg212331
« on: November 29, 2010, 06:08:26 am »
(subject to change)

Each WoE player has a reputation which basically tells how respected and liked the player is. The higher your reputation is, the more easier it is for you to deal with NPC's. If your reputation is low, many NPC's refuse to deal with you and might even attack you.

Reputation is divided into 13 parts, one for each element (and 'other'). Reputation is a number between -100 and 100, and is stored in your Character Sheet. If you have a :fire reputation of 100, it means that all :fire NPC's think you are a hero and they love you. If you have a :fire reputation of -100, they all hate you and wish you were dead.

You can affect your reputation by doing guests and/or attacking other players.

All quests give reputation. Smaller quests give +1 reputation, usually for the element that the particular quest belongs to. More difficult quests give more reputation. Quest can also give negative reputation for some other element. For example, if you are given a quest by a :darkness NPC's to assassinate a :light NPC, you will most likely gain :darkness reputation but lose :light reputation.

Your reputation affects your ability to deal with certain NPC's. For example, some merchants will have a minimum reputation requirement that you have to meet. If you don't have enough reputation of that specific element, you need to take your business elsewhere.

Daxx

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212383#msg212383
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:33:12 am »
Suggestion: Attacking, Diplomatic Stances and Reputation

Attacking Another Elemental
In virtually all cases (except as part of certain quests or if the players involved are engaged in an Honour Duel - more about that later) declaring an attack on another elemental reduces your reputation with that element by 1.
Attacking an elemental in your own element will also cause you to lose 2 reputation with your own element unless they are Outcasts (more about this later).

War
When war is declared between elements, all elementals lose 50 reputation (to a minimum -100) with the enemy element whilst this diplomatic stance is in effect.

Suspicious/Peace
Default, no changes to reputation based on stance.

Alliance
When an alliance is declared between elements, all elementals gain 50 reputation (to a maximum of 100) for the allied element whilst this diplomatic stance is in effect.
Attacking an elemental in an alliance will cause you to lose 2 reputation as if they were part of your element. Similarly, attacking Outcasts of the allied element does not cause you to lose reputation.

Outcasts
Elementals with a reputation of -50 or less with their own element are known as Outcasts, and attacking them loses no reputation with your own element.

Honour Duel
In certain circumstances (such as being in a specific location or being on a specific quest) elementals can declare Honour Duels between themselves. This is a special type of Attack X action, which does not lose reputation.

Scaredgirl

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212386#msg212386
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 08:45:57 am »
Problem with wars, alliances and reputation is that the most likely method of keeping track of your reputation is players making the edits themselves. And that could cause many situations where the players either forget or don't know they had to make that edit. Sometimes this is unavoidable, but in this case I think we could avoid it.

We could have a more simple system. Lets say we have a merchant. We could make it so that if you are at war with the element that this merchant belongs to, you cannot do business with him. On the other hand, if you are in alliance, you can always do business with him (regardless of the reputation limit), as long as your reputation is not negative.

This would have a similar affect without players having to do manual edits.

I though about something similar (again, taken from other games) as that Outcasts thing you suggest. A Bounty Hunter system when other players can hunt you down for a reward if your reputation sucks. you would become Wanted.

There would be different levels of being Wanted, based on your reputation. The higher level Wanted you are, the more bounty will a player who kills you get.

I don't know about that Honour Duel system. It sounds a bit pointless to me. I'm fine with it if it's somehow tied to a quest, but if players can just decide "Hey, lets have a honour duel", I think it would turn the event into lame e-sport. Killing is killing and it should have consequences.

Related to this, if players want to fight each other without losing reputation, they should enter the Arena and fight as a gladiator for great prices.

Daxx

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212503#msg212503
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:30:12 pm »
Good point about the honour duel. Probably better to drop the idea unless it's used for a quest.

Being Wanted is a good idea, I like it. How about a Bounty Hunter's Guild or something similar gives a quest allowing people who kill Outcasts to claim an electrum reward equal to how many points their target is below -50. Killing someone with a super-low reputation gives a big reward, but lesser criminals aren't worth it.

Offline Glitch

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 65
  • Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.Glitch walks among the Immortals, legends and guardians of all time.
  • Awards: 1st Trials - Master of LifeElements Short Story Competition WinnerPoetry in the Spirit of Elements
Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212512#msg212512
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 02:41:49 pm »
Suggestion: reputation ranges

-100 to -75
Attack on sight.  You can't talk to any NPCs, you can't go into the cities
-75 to -50
Ignore.  Most NPCs just brush you off, cities will let you in but won't let you visit many buildings.
-50 to -25
Hostile.  NPCs will talk to you, although being passive aggressive and insulting, cities will begrudgingly let you in.
-25 to 0
Annoyed.  NPCs act offended by your actions, maybe even confused. Sort of a "dude... what the hell?" thing.  Cities won't even notice.
0 to 25
Neutral.  NPCs will act neutral towards you, cities doors are open wide.
25 to 50
Friendly.  NPCs will compliment you, cities will welcome you as though you've been there before.  "Welcome back!"
50 to 75
Memorable.  NPCs will actively seek you out for help, random city goers will speak to you as though they missed you.
75 to 100
Heroic.  NPCs will ask for your autograph, and be excited to be near you.  Cities will throw parades in your honor.

Of course, it won't be that rigid.  Maybe it should work on a percentage system, so there's a chance this stuff will happen.  Maybe there'll be a table you'll roll on....

I'll work on it.

Offline Dragoon

• Reputation Power: 0
  • Dragoon hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWinner of Team PvP #5Winner of Rags to Riches - PvP Event
Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212626#msg212626
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 05:41:34 pm »
How about a Bounty Hunter's Guild or something similar gives a quest allowing people who kill Outcasts to claim an electrum reward equal to how many points their target is below -50. Killing someone with a super-low reputation gives a big reward, but lesser criminals aren't worth it.
Speaking of Guilds, what about trans-elemental Guilds?  Is that something we should consider (at least in the future if not this WoE)?  I suppose it's probably too complicated especially since we already have another form of groups.

As for reputation, who will be responsible for updating that?  If the players, then how do we keep them from cheating?  If an organizer, then will that be the work of the character sheet people?

Scaredgirl

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg212724#msg212724
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 07:44:14 pm »
Good point about the honour duel. Probably better to drop the idea unless it's used for a quest.

Being Wanted is a good idea, I like it. How about a Bounty Hunter's Guild or something similar gives a quest allowing people who kill Outcasts to claim an electrum reward equal to how many points their target is below -50. Killing someone with a super-low reputation gives a big reward, but lesser criminals aren't worth it.
Yeah, sure. I think that many players would enjoy hunting other players for a profession.

Suggestion: reputation ranges

-100 to -75
Attack on sight.  You can't talk to any NPCs, you can't go into the cities
-75 to -50
Ignore.  Most NPCs just brush you off, cities will let you in but won't let you visit many buildings.
-50 to -25
Hostile.  NPCs will talk to you, although being passive aggressive and insulting, cities will begrudgingly let you in.
-25 to 0
Annoyed.  NPCs act offended by your actions, maybe even confused. Sort of a "dude... what the hell?" thing.  Cities won't even notice.
0 to 25
Neutral.  NPCs will act neutral towards you, cities doors are open wide.
25 to 50
Friendly.  NPCs will compliment you, cities will welcome you as though you've been there before.  "Welcome back!"
50 to 75
Memorable.  NPCs will actively seek you out for help, random city goers will speak to you as though they missed you.
75 to 100
Heroic.  NPCs will ask for your autograph, and be excited to be near you.  Cities will throw parades in your honor.

Of course, it won't be that rigid.  Maybe it should work on a percentage system, so there's a chance this stuff will happen.  Maybe there'll be a table you'll roll on....

I'll work on it.
Looks good to me. If we need more, we could use intervals of 20.

Speaking of Guilds, what about trans-elemental Guilds?  Is that something we should consider (at least in the future if not this WoE)?  I suppose it's probably too complicated especially since we already have another form of groups.
Sure, it's always a possibility. However like you said, it's probably too complicated for WoE #1.

As for reputation, who will be responsible for updating that?  If the players, then how do we keep them from cheating?  If an organizer, then will that be the work of the character sheet people?
Players are in charge of updating everything on their character sheets. Character Managers only observe and make sure there is no cheating. But because it's impossible to see all edits, cheating is a real possibility, but hopefully we won't see that.

Malduk

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg214334#msg214334
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »
Players are in charge of updating everything on their character sheets. Character Managers only observe and make sure there is no cheating. But because it's impossible to see all edits, cheating is a real possibility, but hopefully we won't see that.
Not part of the reputation topic, but since I dont know where to put it, and its mentioned here...

Character Manager could write a raw log of what's going on (rather than checking players sheets all the time), and simple parser could be coded to figure out the card count (or some other important stat), for players. To keep it simple, only the count of total cards could be tracked, not exact cards.
Alternatively, script for Managers could be done where they could simply write X player gained Y cards and the info could be stored in the database.

If card count for each player is easily checked, cheating would become much less of a problem.

Scaredgirl

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg214829#msg214829
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 05:04:33 am »
Not part of the reputation topic, but since I dont know where to put it, and its mentioned here...

Character Manager could write a raw log of what's going on (rather than checking players sheets all the time), and simple parser could be coded to figure out the card count (or some other important stat), for players. To keep it simple, only the count of total cards could be tracked, not exact cards.
Alternatively, script for Managers could be done where they could simply write X player gained Y cards and the info could be stored in the database.

If card count for each player is easily checked, cheating would become much less of a problem.
Sure. It's basically the same system that War uses currently to make sure that teams have the correct amount of cards in the Vault.

Works for me.

Offline Nepycros

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 32
  • Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.Nepycros is a Ghost, obsessed with their Elemental pursuits.
  • My creativity was OP, so I had to nerf it.
Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg264988#msg264988
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:39:36 pm »
I understand that you can lose rep with your own element. Is it possible to have -100 rep with ALL 13 factions? I understand that it's rather foolish, as well as timeconsuming, but doesn't being the single most hated person in the game get you any benefits? I think whichever path you should take should give you SOME benefits, or else everyone will work together to accomplish a goal. Who would want to be an outlaw? You've got to give appeal to all the different paths someone can take.
Perception is the source of misunderstanding.

Why, yes. I do have a Mindgate necklace. It's how I ninja everyone.

Offline doublecross

• Reputation Power: 9
  • doublecross is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Did you miss me?
Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg265153#msg265153
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 01:06:11 am »
I personally think that once someone has reached a very high reputation within their own element, they should be able, in a limited extent, to grant reputation to others.

This would make sense in the context of the story in that once you are very well respected within a nation, your word begins to exercise weight within the decision-making of that element.

It would be like a character reference, almost.
That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. Speak the truth even when your voice falters.

Scaredgirl

Re: Reputation https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16589.msg280761#msg280761
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:43:04 am »
I understand that you can lose rep with your own element. Is it possible to have -100 rep with ALL 13 factions? I understand that it's rather foolish, as well as timeconsuming, but doesn't being the single most hated person in the game get you any benefits? I think whichever path you should take should give you SOME benefits, or else everyone will work together to accomplish a goal. Who would want to be an outlaw? You've got to give appeal to all the different paths someone can take.
Original plan was to auto-convert -100 rep guys to team Underworld, but rules have changed since because changing teams mid-way would present all kinds of problems and chance for exploiting. Now the team you pick at the start is yours for eternity.

We will probably have the Wanted and Bounty (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,18951.0.html) system which will give some kind of a bonus to players who are able to stay on the Wanted list longer periods, kind of like outlaws who never get caught.

But I don't think that players should automatically get bonuses simply because everyone hates them. It makes no sense.

I personally think that once someone has reached a very high reputation within their own element, they should be able, in a limited extent, to grant reputation to others.

This would make sense in the context of the story in that once you are very well respected within a nation, your word begins to exercise weight within the decision-making of that element.

It would be like a character reference, almost.
Very cool idea actually. Being able to use reputation as a form of "currency" sounds pretty interesting, and should definitely be discussed and tested.

blarg: