*Author

Offline Sevs

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Sevs is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • My favorite element is Oxygen
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: War #4 - Round 8 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34293.msg435673#msg435673
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2011, 06:28:07 pm »
Quote from: majofa link=topic=http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34293.msg465640#msg465640 date=1323195979
Quote from: Sevs link=topic=http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34293.msg465636#msg465636 date=1323195764
Quote from: majofa link=topic=http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34293.msg465625#msg465625 date=1323193947
The main problem was being able to add cards from 'outside of WAR' into the mix.
That and the multiplier for upgrades. allowing generals and Lt's significantly more ups than the common soldier in the same situation
Also true, but I still think bonus cards are more significant.
agreed.
"Elements is the greatest game ever made" - Abraham Lincoln

kirchj33

Re: War #4 - Round 8 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34293.msg435689#msg435689
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2011, 06:56:35 pm »
A team leading late in war is initially put in a tough position when they have to spread themselves thinly over a vault to come up with decks to counter officers with soldiers to start with.  I believe time was the first out of the three early leaders (time, entropy, earth), to start to crumble under this pressure a bit.  The event cards did a good job of keeping the downtrodden teams involved by giving them hope and a few new tweaks to stay alive.  The pressure of us (earth) having to come up with enough creatures and quanta to field multiple decks finally broke us this past round.  I believe entropy faced a similar situation as us.  Admittedly, some of this may have been my own inexperience from being in a leadership position for the first time.

Ultimately though, I felt the combination of facing an increased number of officers (who not only have an upped card advantage along with other factors was our largest stumbling block.  Other factors such as: staying in a range where we would have to strain to field 6 decks instead of being a few cards less and only having to field 5 decks, increased discards, and increased unpredictability and officer power in conjunction with the round 8 event card made things very tough on us.  I told my team before the round, I would consider a 3-3 record a success.  I had the opportunity to create a much more versatile and powerful officer deck vs. TorB, but the situation presented meant I needed to bring a more specific counter deck this round (which lost anyways).  The justification for not suiciding was that a loss was just the same as a suicide at this point, so we went forward with what we thought was 6 competitive decks.  All of this has led to a 32-21 team being behind a 17-17 team (darkness) and fairly weak decks remaining going forward.

I hope my team understands all of the hard work wasn't for nothing and hopefully we showed some people what a strong and united team can do against the odds.  I am proud of what a strong opponent we proved to be throughout up until this point.

Offline dragonsdemesne

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!dragonsdemesne shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Leeeeeeeeeeroyyyyyyyyy....
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 1/2014 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 3/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League 2/2013 WinnerBattle League 1/2013 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 2/2012 3rd Place
Re: War #4 - Round 8 https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=34293.msg435702#msg435702
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2011, 08:01:25 pm »
Yeah, time got pretty squeezed in there one round.  (I think round 6?)  It was the one where I ran a suicide deck, anyway.  We had just enough cards that we needed to field one more deck than would have been ideal for us.  We'd been hoping earth and entropy would have the same thing happen to them soon after (sorry! :p friendly competition) and it seems it did, they just managed to hang on longer.

For the event cards, there's been a few that I didn't like stylistically (like #3: rush/stall, the math wasn't really thought out so everyone picked rush) but I don't think that any of them have been blatantly unfair.  Remember that all of the event cards were designed in advance with a specific order already set, so it's not like kevkev is saying hmm... team X needs a boost, I'll put out -this- event card next round.

In regards to team earth, I think we do see that you have done quite well.  Some of the coolest decks I've seen this war have been from your team.  It has to be frustrating being behind darkness despite a better win/loss record, but any score system is going to have the possibility of something like that happening to someone.

blarg: