*Author

hello

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214356#msg214356
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2010, 02:24:48 pm »
how can i join tournouments ? ! ? ! ?

Offline nilsieboy

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.nilsieboy is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Always trust badgers.
  • Awards: 6th Trials - Master of GravitySlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Gravity4th Trials - Master of GravitySlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake24 Club (cost 24+ cards during War auction)Beginners League 3/2010 2nd Place3-Man Team PvP #1 WinnerTeam PvP #1 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214367#msg214367
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2010, 02:40:10 pm »
well i'd say the newbie takes the one above the mentor list OR let him choose someone, maybe he knows someone/has a good feeling about someone or he'd just like a specefic mentor (like a newbie who likes life'd take kills).
:gravity nilsieboy :gravity
I wondered why the titan was getting bigger, then it hit me. ~gravity

kobisjeruk

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214368#msg214368
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »
If it's a matter of abuse for awards that's an issue, why not make it so in order for new recruits to count towards the reward those new recruits have to reach the "jr." status of at least 30+ posts?
or just remove the 'incentive' altogether

last thing i want to see is this turning into competition of some sort where people collect badges (similar to kongregate's)
we already have tourneys and competitions for that sort of thing, this should be completely volunteerish (completely forgot the exact word for it) as it could be similar to staff positions at this here forum

Kuross

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214372#msg214372
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 02:50:50 pm »
If it's a matter of abuse for awards that's an issue, why not make it so in order for new recruits to count towards the reward those new recruits have to reach the "jr." status of at least 30+ posts?

last thing i want to see is this turning into competition of some sort where people collect badges (similar to kongregate's)
we already have tourneys and competitions for that sort of thing, this should be completely volunteerish (completely forgot the exact word for it) as it could be similar to staff positions at this here forum
Though I can understand the idea of removing incentive, and in a lot of ways I agree, having some sort of recognition is important to. There should be something in place that recognizes the efforts by members to help newer players to become a part of this community and as long as there are set parameters in place for any reward, abuse should be kept to a minimal or nonexistant.

miniwally

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214376#msg214376
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2010, 02:52:54 pm »
People should post there time zones probably mines GMT.

Also in response to the new persons question which I think is who we're trying to help be in tournament chat room #1 at the time of the tournament but I don't think questions are supposed to be asked here.

Offline EmeraldTiger

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 61
  • EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!EmeraldTiger shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • :life :aether
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214382#msg214382
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2010, 03:10:26 pm »
if this helps i'm eastern USA
If Nowhere is Somewhere, and Somewhere is Over there, How can we be Anywhere?
:life :aether

Scaredgirl

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214383#msg214383
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »
Out of curiosity, what about people that work hard to recruit only to have that new recruit passed on to someone else? I hang out on Kong quite a bit and try to shift people over here when I can. Most of the time I tend to build a rapport with those people and it would be sort of awkward to build that rapport only to have someone else finish what I started. If it's a matter of abuse for awards that's an issue, why not make it so in order for new recruits to count towards the reward those new recruits have to reach the "jr." status of at least 30+ posts?
I'd like to avoid a situation where people recruit their friends and neighbors as Apprentices just to get reward icons. This project should not be about the icons, it should be about helping people. Having the icons is just something extra.

But if it would motivate Mentors more, we could always have a system where you get "points" for both recruiting and teaching the Apprentice. So even though you don't get to mentor that newbie you found, you'd still get some points. Generate enough points and you get an award.

well i'd say the newbie takes the one above the mentor list OR let him choose someone, maybe he knows someone/has a good feeling about someone or he'd just like a specefic mentor (like a newbie who likes life'd take kills).
How does that fix it? It still has the option of letting the Apprentice choose, which is the problem here.

People should post there time zones probably mines GMT.

Also in response to the new persons question which I think is who we're trying to help be in tournament chat room #1 at the time of the tournament but I don't think questions are supposed to be asked here.
Asking Apprentices to post their timezones would just further complicate things. I don't see why Mentor and Apprentice should have to even be online at the same time. Sure, it would help with the chat thing, but everything else can be done with PM's.

What I'm trying to say that participating should be done as simple as possible for the Apprentice. Instead of asking all kinds of (personal) questions like timezones right off the bat, they should be able to join with as little effort as possible.

Asking "usually online" (not timezone) from Mentors makes more sense. This way we could match the Mentor and Apprentice using the time when the Apprentice posted his or her post. So If I join this program at 6pm, I get matched by someone who is usually online at 6pm.

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 77
  • willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Your tears are delicious
  • Awards: 10th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar Correspondent Competition - WinnnerWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Life4th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeShort Story: Rare Mythology Competition Winner
Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214385#msg214385
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 03:16:57 pm »

This.

In my own personal opinion, the only reason that someone should be taking part in this project is to assist in the growth in the community.  If it was me organizing it I wouldn't even create an award for such a thing because I interpret expecting to receive recognition for a good deed to be a selfish ambition and should not be seen when this project is officially under way.  From my own experience, entering a charity exercise with the expectation that you will receive some form of positive feedback taints the purpose and good nature of what you were participating in.  In other words:  you lose focus of the original objective and are less sincere in your actions.  This is not something I want to see here either:  this isn't meant to be some method of veteran players receiving more recognition from the rest of the community, it's solely about helping those in need of assistance.

Again, this is just my opinion which I've formed based on my life; I don't expect anyone to fully agree with it and neither will I take offense to anyone who disagrees.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals"

Forum reigned by my mixtape

Kuross

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214393#msg214393
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2010, 03:31:06 pm »
Out of curiosity, what about people that work hard to recruit only to have that new recruit passed on to someone else? I hang out on Kong quite a bit and try to shift people over here when I can. Most of the time I tend to build a rapport with those people and it would be sort of awkward to build that rapport only to have someone else finish what I started. If it's a matter of abuse for awards that's an issue, why not make it so in order for new recruits to count towards the reward those new recruits have to reach the "jr." status of at least 30+ posts?
I'd like to avoid a situation where people recruit their friends and neighbors as Apprentices just to get reward icons. This project should not be about the icons, it should be about helping people. Having the icons is just something extra.

But if it would motivate Mentors more, we could always have a system where you get "points" for both recruiting and teaching the Apprentice. So even though you don't get to mentor that newbie you found, you'd still get some points. Generate enough points and you get an award.
I agree with Will 100% in that people should be motivated out of a simple desire to help rather than winning a competition of some sort. However, I don't see anything wrong in awarding those that are sincere in their efforts to help either. And, if a little added motivation kick starts others into helping, they may see the real benefit of helping themselves over time. Sadly, though idealistic, a notion of helping just to help isn't always going to work with many people. They need more to feel accomplished. And for the record, I could care less if there is a reward or not. I'd do it anyway. I am confident in my personal knowledge that the world as it is needs outside motivation from time to time to do charitable work. Take tax breaks from donating for example. I'd heavily argue that there would be less charitable donations if there were no tax breaks in it for those that donated. Keep in mind, those that receive charity from donors aren't too concerned that those that did the donating will get a tax break. They're just happy to get anything at all.

As for the point system, how about 2 pts for each new recruit and 5 points for each recruit mentored? Then 40 pts for some sort of reward. Just spit-balling here ;)

kobisjeruk

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214401#msg214401
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »
again with the recruitment thing
i dont agree to it then and i dont agree to it now
why must we turn this into some sort of referral links thingy?
its one thing suggesting a newbie to join this program, its a whole different thing actively recruiting apprentice for yourself or with you as the referrer(?) to gain pointless points
either you help a newbie (mentoring them yourself) or a mentor (getting participants for other Mentors) because you want to or you dont

QuantumT

Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214410#msg214410
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2010, 04:16:41 pm »
I think it would probably be best to drop any sort of icons. Recognition would be nice, but just let the player themselves stand as your recognition.

What's nice about dropping icons is that then recruiting is just fine. If you want to recruit an apprentice, then it's clear that you only want to do it out of a genuine interest in helping them.

I don't think I want there to be any motivation to do this other than a desire to help, so I think any sort of formal recognition shouldn't be used.

Offline the dictator

• Reputation Power: 17
  • the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.the dictator is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: Confused? click here for help from experienced players https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=16656.msg214436#msg214436
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »
Thedictator - Mentor

Looks fun

(..)

Asking "usually online" (not timezone) from Mentors makes more sense. This way we could match the Mentor and Apprentice using the time when the Apprentice posted his or her post. So If I join this program at 6pm, I get matched by someone who is usually online at 6pm.
I think this is a good idea, so:

Usually online: 16 GMT to 22 GMT
[18:28:55] Acsabi44: grinding is about pwning the AI as fast as possible
Back from a long break.
:water War Veteran - 4 times
Because inverted art is awesome - Looking for a tool for gather stats for arena, look no further

blarg: