Poll

Who is most worthy to be the next Master of Time?

kaempfer13
21 (70%)
shockcannon
8 (26.7%)
None Worthy
1 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: August 14, 2018, 12:09:08 am

*Author

Offline worldwideweb3Topic starter

• Master of Air
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2021.01.03.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.22.)14th Trials - Master of AirWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.06.28.)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.03.)Elements League 3/2019 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeElements League 3/2018 1st PlaceWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of AetherElements: Academy WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 3rd PlaceWinner of Draft #4 - PvP Event11th Trials - Master of FireBattle League 1/2017 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League and Championship League 3/2016 1st PlaceChampionship League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of GravityChampionship League 1/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2015 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2015 1st PlaceWar #8 Winner - Team FireBattle League 2/2014 2nd Place
12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278652#msg1278652
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:47:44 pm »
Phase 3 - Community Vote

It's time to vote for your favorite Master candidate!  Every community member may vote on only one candidate. You can change your vote(s) at any time as long as there is still time on the clock.

Vote based on who you think would make the best Master of that element. Do not vote based on who is the best player or who you know personally. Try to pick someone who you think would help the community the most as THE representative for their element.  If you believe none of the Trialists should be Master, please select the "None Worthy" option. 

To help you make the best decision possible, feel free to ask the candidates questions.  Both challengers and defending Masters ought to answer the questions in this thread (and in the General questions thread) to help the voters make the best possible choice.  Please put all your answers in a single post (employing spoiler tags is recommended).  Also, challengers should include in that post a link to your Phase 1 submission post.

Questions and answers may begin now that this topic is posted.
Voting will begin when the polls are up at the official start of Phase 3.
Phase 3 ends when poll expires.
First player to become master of 3 different elements.
WC 2016 - #2. WC 2015 - #3 Devil's gate, Trinity, War #10, 12 lives - #2.
Avvy by rob77dp
Rightful winner of war #14 - Team Air

Offline shockcannon

• Master of Fire
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.shockcannon is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 13th Birthday Cake14th Trials - Master of FireSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner13th Trials - Master of FireWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278678#msg1278678
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 03:15:54 am »
S H O C K C A N N O N

Spoiler for preface:
Am I worthy? Only time will tell. Time decides all. However, if you want some last minute speech paragraph about why you should vote for me you're not going to get it. I'm facing a tough opponent as far as getting votes goes. You're going to vote for me if you trust in me and believe in me, and actions speak louder than words (unfortunately phase 4 comes after phase 3  ::)).

I spent several hours writing out my phase 1 task and received a full score of 6 on it. I was very pleased with my work and my only regret there was aesthetic formatting. Most of my phase 2 posts have moderate to lengthy commentary about how the match went and where I either succeeded or fell short (btw, I would love feedback on my deck names).

If you do, however, prefer direct word answers, want to know my specific thoughts about things like phase 2 battles, or have any other questions, I will answer them all IN DEPTH here. Finally, I want you all to know that I do believe in myself to be worthy of Master of Time, and as such I would gladly appreciate any votes. However, I am prepared to enter phase 4 with a very small percentage of votes. A true master must face harsh circumstances and if 5 or so upgrades prevent me from winning in phase 4, then I don't deserve to be the Master of Time. Finally, I'm having a blast right now and I wish I had joined the community earlier, but at the very least I plan on making this moment count to make up for lost time.

Spoiler for postscript:
P.S. I realize I talked about actions being louder than words and then wrote a 3 paragraph preface. I like to write. Deal with it.  8-) Also my responses may be lengthier than others because I like to respond in depth if I think the question has depth, but I will try to keep things succinct.

Phase 1 Task
Phase 2 Battle vs. InsignificantWeeaboo
Phase 2 Battle vs. kaempfer13
Phase 2 Battle vs. JonathanCrazyJ

Responses to General Questions

Spoiler for ji412jo:
To answer your question, a leader (aka leadership) causes others to follow and trust in him or her and can inspire those others to act or think in ways that they wouldn't be inclined to do on their own.

To answer a question you didn't ask, a GOOD leader is someone who also improves the community or people around them with his or her presence and personal attributes. There are many ways for this to be accomplished but I will describe what I think is a good fit for this definition. Often in movies you see two types of leaders. There are those that sit on their throne or an equal position of council and provide their strategy and expertise to guide their followers or subjects. Then, there are those who you see standing in front of their army on the battlefield, leading the charge at the enemy and being the first one to make contact with danger and flirt with death. In these two examples you see wisdom and you see sacrifice. A good leader strikes a balance between the two, knowing the value that lies in their excellence and intelligence, and knowing the value that lies in their motivation and spirit. Like any leader, he or she inspires others and holds the trust of those in the community, but goes one step further in improving the community, achieving the status of a GOOD leader.

To expand on both questions, a GREAT leader is one who can also see the full potential of each individual and help that individual fulfill what he or she may not be able to recognize in him or herself. I will leave y'all with a quote from the movie A Bug's Life.
Flik: Here, pretend... pretend that that’s a seed.
Dot: It’s a rock.
Flik: Oh, I know it’s a rock, I know. But let’s just pretend for a minute that it’s a seed, alright? We’ll just use our imaginations. Now, now do you see our tree? Everything that made that giant tree is already contained inside this tiny little seed. All it needs is some time, a little bit of sunshine and rain, and voilà!
Dot: This rock will be a tree?
Flik: Seed to tree. You’ve gotta work with me, here. Alright? Okay. Now, you might not feel like you can do much now, but that’s just because, well, you’re not a tree yet. You just have to give yourself some time. You’re still a seed.
Dot: But it’s a rock.
Flik: I know it’s a rock! Don’t you think I know a rock when I see a rock? I’ve spent a lot of time around rocks!
Dot: You’re weird, but I like you.

Spoiler for Basman-1453:
I am trialing for my favorite element. Despite not joining community stuff until recently, I made my forums account over a year ago and my favorite element under my profile has been always been Time. I would prefer to be a soldier for Time over a general for another element because I think I have more to offer as a soldier of Time. If that is not an option, then I would consider being general for another element because I still think I'm a great leader and it would also be an honor for me (and I get the chance to kick kaempfer13's butt, assuming he can actually beat me in phase 4  :P).

Spoiler for ARTHANASIOS:
Yes? Yes! Yes.

Spoiler for Kalinuial:
1.) So this an interesting question for me because without a doubt it's entropy. Yet, my favorite card in the game is probably singularity. I think the reason for this is because I'm very picky about my randomness. There needs to be a reason for my randomness. Take fate egg for example. It's a card that relies completely on RNG, yet I love the card and use it more often than I should. I like this randomness because it's about leaving the game up to fate. Entropy though is just random. The reason for being random is random. It just is. I do not like that. Pandemonium gives me nightmares. Chaos seed sends me running. Discord makes me cringe every time I open the commonly named app. Fallen elf....well that's actually a pretty good card. Basically, I hate entropy. Maybe my reasons for hating entropy are unwarranted, maybe they're even random, but regardless I try to stay as far away from entropy as possible. I've slowly come to terms with it, but it's a process. As for why I love singularity so much, it's the epitome of randomness BUT it only hurts the user. It's like this game's ultimate meme. At some point in time, every player discovers that this exists for the first time and it is probably the best moment of their elements career. I guess for me, it's all or nothing. I get singularity or I don't deal with entropy ever.

2.) I don't know many previous masters so I'm going to pick a couple current ones. My answer may come as a big surprise, but I want to choose these two people because they have a couple specific qualities I respect and these qualities will go unnoticed if no one else picks these two masters. However, I wouldn't necessarily say these two meet the "excellent trialists, generals, and representative of their element," so sorry if I'm kind of cheating this question, but I will focus mostly on what I respect them for.

First, I respect DANIEELA because she is concise in her answers and speaks through few words. In this way, she's quite literally the opposite of me and I have a lot to learn from her in how to use fewer words to convey my messages. I also think she represents the character of death well. She doesn't talk much and avoids attention but she's always present at tournaments and events, awaiting her victims silently like death does. Second, I respect DoubleCapitals for always seeming to be in a lighthearted and good mood. I think DC lacks a lot of self-confidence, but past all the self-doubt I can see a lot of inner motivation and aspiration. From what I read, DC winning the last trials came as a surprise to many but I don't think it should've been that big of a surprise. I've been looking at his trials decks for inspiration and I have found much evidence that points to DC being a very capable elements player. I respect DC for continuing to be involved in this trials process despite choosing to abstain from defending. The support is there and the love for the game is there, I think the self-confidence is just lacking a bit, but that's the thing with time. It moves slow and steady but always gets to its destination, and I think DC will get there as well.

As for the two of them, they share this element of surprise (an element I'm quite fond of) in that they won trials in which they were greatly unfavored to win. As for differences, DoubleCapitals is a lot more vocal than DANIEELA.

3.) I could send a text to future me to see if this is a question I should be responding to, but where's the fun in that?  :P

Spoiler for DoubleCapitals:

Spoiler for SpikeSpiegel:
Time's two major strengths are board control (or creature control) and manipulation of the user's and opponent's hands. About half of the cards in Time are designed to either increase one's own board presence or reduce the opponents board presence. Scarab, reverse time, eternity, procrastination, and sundial all seek to halt the enemy's creatures in their path. Meanwhile, Anubis, pharaoh, deja vu, and shard of readiness all increase the presence and power of one's own board. Second, time has probably the most ways of manipulating the two players' hands and card draw. Sundial, golden hourglass, reverse time, eternity, precognition, golden nymph, ghost of the past, and dune scorpion all act as ways to control card draw and card play.

Time's major weakness is permanent control. Time has absolutely no way of dealing with enemy permanents on its own, outside of a lucky fate egg combined with shard of readiness. As a result, Time is heavily dependent upon other elements to get past shields, deal with weapons, or counter other permanents such as shards. Time also lacks cheap cards with high damage and relies on ghost of the past for rushing, however, this is less of an issue due to powerful supporting cards like reverse time.

I think each element should have a defined weakness, so the card I propose is a spell card called Momentary Malfunction that costs 3 time quanta. This card would "freeze" the target permanent for one turn, causing the game to act as if that permanent didn't exist for 1 turn without destroying the permanent. If used on pillars or pendulums it would freeze up to 2 in the target cluster for 1 turn. This card offers Time an answer for its major weak spot while retaining the overall weakness to PC by being arguably the weakest PC card to exist. If I made this card stronger, it would be a must add in all time decks and wouldn't be healthy to the game, but it makes it so Time can't be single handedly countered by cards such as Dimensional Shield.

Spoiler for Zyardran:
I know a lot of people look at the main of role of being Master as leading the element in war. As such, I plan on taking a lot of time to prepare for War both individually in coming up with decks, and with my team once it is formed to coordinate strategies and make sure we're on the same page. To do this, I plan on being very active throughout the entire War process (I am already one of the most active players, ever since I got involved about 4 months ago). As far as results, I think getting top 6 is very achievable (which would be better than time has done in the past 3 Wars) and I honestly think coming in 1st is very doable as well. I know that this would be my first War and first time as general, but that doesn't mean I haven't been playing this game for 7 years. I, however, think there's a lot more to being a master than War. These are people that others look up to for leadership and advice in the community. This is only possible through being an active member of the community, which I plan to do for the entire year following becoming a master. A lot of previous masters have not been very active (at least since I've joined) and I don't think that sets a good example. I plan to change this, or at least ensure that 1/12 of the masters are available to help the community learn and grow.

Responses to In-Element Questions

Spoiler for InsignificantWeeaboo:
I am wary but unafraid about facing kaempfer13 in battle. He maximizes deck efficiency, predicts deck match ups, and bans effectively. Yet, I finished our match 2-3. Experience can be a double-edged sword. You become familiar with the ins and outs of deck match ups, but you also begin to expect things. This makes you vulnerable to surprise, and surprise is exactly what I bring to the table. This may be a bold statement, but I think I am one of the most creative deck builders out of the current active members. I've used decks never seen before and I always look to innovate even in serious tournaments or events. I understand that too much creativity is undermined by a lack of efficiency, but I believe I have found a balance between the two, and while kaempfer13 may have the element of time over me, I have the element of surprise. In a short time, both elements might be mine.  ;)

As for believing I can win, when I was a little kid (maybe around 10) I had an older friend who beat my score in "Beat It" by Michael Jackson in Karaoke Revolution for the PS2. I spent every day singing "Beat It" for about 2 or 3 months until I reclaimed the high score because I believed in myself and knew I could do it. This was a game that scored based upon correct pitch and intonation. I don't dedicate time to things I don't think I can accomplish. I don't trial just to see where I stand among other community members. I trial because I know I'm a master.

EDIT: I also feel excited. Kaempfer knows a lot and I can't believe I will mostly likely get a second opportunity to face him in a serious situation and come out with a greater understanding of the game regardless of the result. I await my challenge with gleeful anticipation and a confident smirk.

Spoiler for Manuel:
If you try to run up the stairs five steps at a time you will likely tumble and fall. I indeed have plans for War in mind, but focusing on those without first achieving mastership would be a foolish mistake. As far as disclosing the future with my fellow non-time oriented friends, I have purposely chosen to withhold this information. A strong leader inspires others to follow him or her through faith alone, even if the outcome is uncertain or grim. I want people to vote for me because they believe in me, not because they know the outcome of the future. My actions now reflect my probable actions as Master of Time, and if I do indeed become Master, there will be moments during War when I will need my team to trust my decisions. If people can't trust in me now they won't suddenly trust me a couple weeks into the future. As far as confidence in myself goes, I think I have more than displayed that in my intro post and through all my answers to these questions.

Failure means something different for everyone. If I fail under my own terms of failure, than no, I will not be able to live with myself. But failure for me is not trying, not committing the time to test decks, not communicating with my team often, not providing my team members with the words of encouragement that they lack, not researching veteran opponents by failing to look at every past war and trials deck they made, or giving up 2 rounds in because my team hasn't won a game yet. Or worse, not even being general at all because I fear the burden of shame. That's failing as a general for me, and as long as I don't do that I am confident I won't meet your definition of failure, which is being eliminated after 4 or so rounds.

Spoiler for DoubleCapitals:
Despite only joining the forum community recently, I have been playing this game since way before Arena was even created. Time has always been my favorite element since I picked it as my starting element. Why did I pick time as my starting element? It's because my dream super power has always been to freeze time in place while still being to walk around and do whatever I want with nothing else moving. Why did I stay with time through the years? Simple. I play card games to draw cards and time lets me draw cards. Drawing 1 card a turn is not what I call drawing cards.

As far as my story:
Once upon a time, there was a young boy who aspired to cement his place in history, even if it meant just being a small speck of sand over the span of eternity. He knew greatness was key, but that greatness alone wasn't enough. The beaches are filled with great, individual grains of sand, but only a few sparkle in the light. He sought out creativity and imagination to stand out among the rest, but often sacrificed greatness in return. He considered following in the footsteps of others but was unwilling to compromise his creativity for greatness. Then one night he had a dream. He dreamed of growing old, and right before he passed away he discovered the secret to balancing both greatness and imagination. However, that dream underestimated his capabilities, and the next week that young boy achieved his dream of becoming a sparkling speck of sand. Yet, that dream was only a stepping stone to giving the boy true joy, which was mentoring others like him and passing on his knowledge and passion for generations to come.

Spoiler for CCCombobreaker:
I will continue to have daylight savings. There are several downsides to daylight savings but the illusion of going back in time or jumping into the future twice a year is too magical to give up. Plus, who doesn't like saving daylight? Leaves you with more to spend later.

I have been on vacation at the beach, but these last 24 hours have been extra special. Yesterday I went skydiving for the first time in my life and that was one of the coolest things I've done. That moment in time will be solidified in my mind forever. I also spent several hours jumping refreshing waves and basking in the warm sand. That was a feeling I have felt many, many times before, but one that I always enjoy equally as much every time I experience it. Not to mention, I spent last night eating some Wahoo and hushpuppies followed by some good old elements phase 3 starting, so yeah, you could say I'm more than satisfied with my last 24 hours. If I had another similar day in the future though, I would do it differently. While I would love to skydive again, it's not something I want to binge. Each day offers the opportunity for new and exciting experiences, and "different" can still mean "amazing."

Spoiler for Vineroz:
We all have that same flavor because we love to sprinkle  :time on everything. It's the best seasoning there is.

Bonus:
What do you call it when a king draws a legal circle in tic-tac-toe?
Spoiler for answer:
A pharaoh.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 05:09:23 am by shockcannon »
You are what you eat from your head to your feet

Offline InsignificantWeeaboo

• Newsletter Writer
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: Draw Seven WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Design Competition - The Oracle's New Year's Party WinnerWriting Competition: Haphazard Heroics WinnerDeckbuilding Competition - The Mastery Gauntlet WinnerWriting Competition: H.E.A.T. WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278684#msg1278684
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 04:08:50 am »
@shockcannon Being a newer player, how do you feel about going up against someone much more experienced than you are? Do you believe you can win against them?
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA
Team :gravity Gen. (War #12)
Team :gravity Soldier (War #13)
Team :light Soldier (War #14)

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278697#msg1278697
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 10:10:47 am »
Personally, I wouldnt mind going into finals with relatively even upgrades. Shockcannons deck choices are interesting to be sure, it wouldnt do to just outrush him based on upgrades.
When it comes to Pvp-prowess and experience, I'm your man, i would probably bring 1 or 2 unusual decks to war (like I did so far, but I'd probably bring less fresh wind than shock.

The most important questions are answered, diary entry and explanation why I look up to certain masters not done.

Spoiler for inelement:

Many of the ex-Time masters have cemented iconic personalities for themselves. Considering you both are first-time Triallers, why did you choose Time? How would you write your story?
For Starters, :time was my starter. I originally chose it because of the option to draw more cards. What I dislike the most about card games is bad hands and running out of options to answer your opponents strategy and card draw mitigates both of those. My favourite cards to use however are reverse time/eternity (incidentally not my favourite to play against, as you could probably tell from the previous sentence) and Shard of Readiness.
The first thing i tried was to  draw lock my opponents through heavy use of reverse time, coupled with card draw and the single eternity I got from quest, which promised to be an easy way to overwhelm my opponent (it certainly is when done right). Later I realized I still needed to deal dmg faster to them than they to me and decided to include healing from :light. At that point I obviously couldnt resist including crusaders as well for the megalockdown. Obviously none of that really solved the problem of the relatively slow start of the bulky version of that deck I used back then, but it felt nice to completely dominate the game once you were set. It also took me way too long to realize that fate eggs, qps and devourers mostly just weighed the deck down and sometimes less is more. I also really like the antideckout use of eternity.
Now my absolute favourite card to use however is Shard of Readiness. Its versatility is great, it guarantees that the ability works even if your opponent runs heavy cc by removing summoning sickness (from :time) and there are many advanced strategies, such as using it to get 2 more uses of an ability (that was already discounted or maybe not even that) for 3 total in a turn which is especially interesting with scarab if they are 1 health away from actually killing the target creature and you got something edible ready, and nearly every :time creature is worth using with it (some require mitosis), even the otherwise underwhelming Anubis and fate egg. I kinda wish it would remove summoning sickness from offelement creatures as well so they could join the fun.
All of this is perfectly expressed in my use of rt-mummies last war and duo instosis (especially this trials).

Are you sure you can combine RL, tournaments, league and war?
Tournament ideas will probably suffer during war times, should i be the only active TO at that time it will be just a bunch of reruns. War wont fall into my exam phase, as Master I can start preparing way before the end of auction and most of preparation is predictions rather than the addictive playing games back to back.

Two questions:
As Master of :time , will you continue to have or abolish daylight savings time?

As Master of :time , you should know the incredible value :time has... ending with the time you begin your response, how have you spent your last 24 hours?  Are you satisfied with how you spent that :time , or if you had another day quite similar in the near future, would you spend some of that :time differently?
Somebodyonce told me, that this is the most important question. I would abolish ruin-your-sleeping-schedule-a-bit-more-than-usually- :time. There is no conclusive data on it actually achieving the one thing it's supposed to do and the negatives are obvious. Sure getting your hour back feels as amazing as getting your stolen wallet back, but thats an analogy I find pretty accurate and not requiring further explanation. Furthermore, this very clumsy attempt to fool people into thinking an hour more or less has passed (which obviously it hasnt) leads to completely unnecessary communication problems between people in different timezones.
Diary entry tbd.

I agree that :time masters used to have a stronger character than any other masters in Element's tradition. One of the "flavor" is that all of them are able to tell a good pun. This is pretty optional but if you guys can show us your best attempt of a :time pun that would be great :D
:time to make puns, eh? Most of the :time puns I've seen are pretty basic. Timetrial, :time to duel etc. I'll maybe do some research when I got more :time, but imo the puns come more from how many :time s you canput :time into your sentences  :time and  :time again, without it deviating much from normal speach patterns, whilst using that :time to spread the :time -symbol everywhere.
Spoiler for deja vu:

Spoiler for general:
What is your definition of Leadership?
I could refer you to a dictionary like Mr.Muffin did, but Im going to assume you meant to ask "How would you interprete your role as leader (of the war team) of your element (as a whole)?". Before reading Muffins post I only really thought about the third definition and did not consider that leadership can be just a mere title/position. That part however is something you automatically get with the master title, the important thing is to actually deliver on it. Personally, I prefer to give people as much (creative) freedom as possible and thus would mostly just give a general direction what to focus on and hear my people out. During war, I usually already was the first to both gather data and give first ideas for both what to expect and what to answer it with; as a Master I will do that even moreso. Occasionally, I may override a deckchoice of one of my teammates, but I much prefer getting a general consensus as a team and am always open for suggestions until we actually finalize things. Essentially, I see myself as just a slightly more equal teammember and want to work as part of a team, not rule with an iron fist. As to representing the element as a whole, I'm usually slightly more inclined to lean towards decks of the most recent war team I was in and may answer on the offchance someone posts in the :time section or specifically asks for help with a time deck, if you want me to be the essence of the element while ignoring the rest of the game I'd have to dissapoint though.

For everyone that Trials for their favourite element:
  • If you end up not becoming a Master for your favourite element, will you consider an approach from WMs to General your second-fave/third-fave/what-have-you element?

Even though I decided the opposite last war, as I see generaling as the bulk of a masters work and didnt want to do it without the title to show for it (Plus I thought it was too early after just one war experience and now I got double that), I would probably accept general role of any element except :light (also I almost would have gotten it legitimately. Even if I didnt feel quite ready yet, I didnt want either of   :gravity or  :time to have a standin battle, so if scibra hadnt faked me out, I would have trialed for gravity after all and obviously still won the final battle.). I'd imagine that even if I lose, I'd still make a good asset to a war team and someone would probably think the same and pay more than others for an entire team again just to get me. Which kinda means that I'd have one less good player to work with than if I were to general myself (additionally I'd get to actively choose my teammembers).

Will you participate in the next Brawl under the flag of your trialing element?
Maybe. I kinda dont really fit into brawl, the two useable talents I have for brawl are deckbuilding and ideas, that i require someone else to give the finishing touches too (coupled with highish activity and constantly giving criticism, but I cannot really do the things myself, just tell what isnt perfect yet). Incidentally the latter is probably quite usefull for the role of the teamleader, so if I do join brawl I'll do it as leader and incorporate a :time -theme at least partially (even though that's not really like brawl works anymore and I'll wait for the backstory before I invent a theme for my team and will leave that open enough for the rest of my team to contribute to it).

1. Which element do you consider the anti-you?  Which ones rubs you the wrong way or resonates least with you personally?  Please help us understand why this is the case.

2.  Name two previous/current masters (you can include yourself if you wish) who you respect and have been excellent trialists, generals, and representatives of their element.  What traits do these two individuals share?  How are they different?
:light for using myself,  :aether for its cheesyness. That doesnt mean that I can't/won't work/deal with those, I just feel they are a bit onesided.  :light lacks flexibility, only its stalls, half stalls (such as rolhope) are actually good, with the exception of vader sader mayhaps (but it isnt that different from darkdoms that everyone uses these days either). Due to this predictability I think it can't win war assuming roughly even teams (when it comes to team members and cards in vaults actual value). Also, it feels like everything it does well is easier with pendulums and mark swapped, making their versions of mostly light decks inferior to the same thing incorporated by other war teams. Additionally, stall is probably the base strategy I use the least, though I do acknowledge its power and even build some stalls that can even defy some of the traditional stallbreakers.

As for  :aether , everything about it just feels so cheesy. Dimensional shield and fractal require specific answers, further narrowed down by lobotomy. Other than phase salvager, immortal, mindgate and quintessence all of their cards are just a little too good (and even some of those can be pretty good) and combine to a hard to beat, easy to build mix. It feels like it just requires less skill to use, nearly everyone probably has some form of aether deck as their first pretty decent deck (probably with dims). I'm not particularly good at dealing with their decks either, as evidenced by a few right predictions from my side resulting in a loss anyway (even though a lot of it was probably rng).

2. Theres a bunch of pretty decent choices. Atm I'm most curious about the goodish :time masters that came before my  :time, SpikeSpiegel and PlayerOa, which coincidentally both have returned recently it seems, amongst the ones I know pretty well personally I'd say TheonlyrealBeef and Afdarenty, are the ones that certainly impress me. Reasoning goes here.

Everybody (should) know each Element has its own trait, its strenght and weakness. Being a Master means to know them perfectly.

Said that, explain what's the strenght and weakness of your Element, and, if you had the chance to add just one card (creature, spell, PC, CC, etc...) to your Element, what would it be and why?

Spoiler for Long answer so spoiler:
The most obvious strength of :time is control over draw power, mostly through just drawing more cards yourself, but reverse time and eternity can also stop your opponent from ever drawing a new card, resulting in a lockdown. That draw power easily allows :time to essentially steal anyones defensive war deck (doesnt really work with rushes, as the draw power takes a few turns to get going and decksliming with precognition is a completely different strategy) if you want and use it yourselves. For rushes you can  use graboids and Ghost of the Past, there is some potential in dejavu too. As such :time can employ any kind of deck strategy, meaning each loss is at least a little bit your own fault. Its defensive options range from pretty damn op to quite alright, but interestingly they have next to no synergy. Sundial and procrastination are less efective when there is less creatures on the board, additionally reverse time isnt viable cc for a stalling tactic as it doesnt actually reduce the amount of creatures your opponent has in the long run and delays deckout, but its amazing cc nonetheless, unparalleled in the way it essentially instantkills any creature and also possibly makes the opponent's draw worse. Scarab also doesnt really want those other defensive options with it, as it will eventually eat the whole board and likely has a lot of companions to help it (though probably only the sored ones can actually use their abilty, unless you really want gravity in your deck).
Imo :time lacks that one deck for their opponents to beat. Ghostmare comes close, but it doesnt feel as oppressive as patient wardens, monosofree, swallow and co which require very specific counters to have a chance against them at all. There is no nobrainer deck that will win pretty much everytime. Also :time needs to lend a lot of techcards from other elements. PC, healing, CC that can be used in an actual stall, quantacontrol (unless you count rt) all need to be lended from other elements, even the most important rush card, graboid, isnt innate to the element (though you need not bother with a bow to use it when you are :time). This reliance on other elements makes good vaultbuilding essential.

As for the card, if its meant to cover the elements weakness I can only echo what basically everyone else in PCless elements said. PC is very scarce and time has no natural shieldbypass etc. either. A thematic fit for that would be corrosion; it would infect stacks of permanents and destroy one of them per turn. The version that can target all permanents would have to cost at least 4 (3)  :time and perhaps only trigger at the end of your opponents turn. It could also be specific to quantasources, in which case it would be hardly better than earthquake and could cost 3 or even 2(1) :time (and also lose most of its contribution to times completeness, but feel a bit more intheme). A better shield might be good to cover weaknesses too, while turtle shield has the same potential as dusk while also disabling abilities half the time in the long run, the fact that its completely useless for half the turns, always including the first turn it's in play just makes it inferior.

Aspects thematic to :time that are completely unexplored in the game are aging and the saying ":time heals all wounds". For the latter there could be an antineurotoxin card, that adds a purify counter to you each time you play or draw a card (not both ofc). I guess its comparable to an empathic bond that doesnt require you to run creatures and help them survive, but therefore always starts at 1 when you play it, so it should cost about the same so 5(4) :time (empathic bond is a pretty crappy card tbh, but the ceiling of this card  far exceeds that of it at ~60 healing per turn with just one card and a lot of :time maximising it (including rewinding own creatures to potential infinity and beyond). for the aging card it could render a single creature nearly useless, but that would always feel inferior to rt. So instead I suggest it as shield card (the tooth of :time), that reduces all enemy attacking creatures attack by 1 on hit. 3 (2)  :time cost, synergizes with adrenaline and healing.

Both of these cards would greatly help the stalling potential sundial already offers.

Huh, all of this sounds like I was a huge fan of stalls. I actually like the domins best which stop the early game hurt with rts and then kill the opponent through dmg.

What are you plans if you become master?
Most important goal for me is obviously to win war. Not sure I want to go into details as to how, as revealing strategy is not really a smart move.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 02:52:08 am by kaempfer13 »
:gravity War 10
:death and tied for master of STANDIN War 11
Master of :time War 12

Offline Manuel

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of AirSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #11 Winner - Team LifeCard Design Competition - Help Wanted WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Competition - ChampionSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278710#msg1278710
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 02:15:31 pm »
@shockcann: reading your "intro" post seems like u still living in the past, in your mind u should already be master of time and think on how lead your team in war

will u able to live if u fail as a general and everytime someone will see a post made by you, he will think "that is the guy that stolen the general role from kae with luck and got elimited in 4 rounds" ?

Offline DoubleCapitals

• Master of Earth
  • Reputation Power: 27
  • DoubleCapitals is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.DoubleCapitals is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.DoubleCapitals is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.DoubleCapitals is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.DoubleCapitals is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • *whistle*
  • Awards: 14th Trials - Master of EarthSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake11th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278713#msg1278713
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 03:12:13 pm »
First off, I'm really glad to see you two with your heart in the game and taking over the baton. Should be an enthusiastic finals!

Second off, @Manuel, right in the balls man ><

Since knowing my track record I'm not in the position to ask damning PvP questions, I'll let the others do my job for me instead.

Rather, I'll tackle the mastership from a Vorthos perspective.

Many of the ex-Time masters have cemented iconic personalities for themselves. Considering you both are first-time Triallers, why did you choose Time? How would you write your story?
L R L R STOP & DASH & UP & TALK B B A B S(tart)

Offline SpikeSpiegel

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 39
  • SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.SpikeSpiegel is a Gargoyle, dangerous and everlasting.
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner9th Trials - Master of TimeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar #8 - Sportsmanship AwardWeekly Tournament Winner8th Trials - Master of TimeBrawl #3 Winner - Divine LightSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2013 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake3rd Trials - Master of TimeMS Paint Card Art #3 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2010 3rd Place
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278714#msg1278714
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 03:25:14 pm »

* SpikeSpiegel whishes good luck both.
Game questions? Go FAQ yourself!
Forum questions? Go FAQ yourself, again!

Offline Vindilos

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Vindilos is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.31.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.24.)Slice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeBronze DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2018 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner 03.06.18Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 1/2018 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278716#msg1278716
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 03:43:59 pm »
@kaempfer13

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/farewell/i'm-sorry-i'm-gonna-have-to-drop-the-bomb-on-you/

" My behaviour is pretty much the elusive "just one more game" (sometimes actually followed through, but instead I start playing a different game instead) and thus the recommmendation is to leave every gaming community ever forever (and especially avoid being lured in by dailies/weeklies, so dont expect reliable hosting from me in the future either). Chances of me succesfully following through with that advice are of course extraordinarily low, but I shall try."

Are you sure you can combine RL, tournaments, league and war?
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Bunny combines well with onions, carrots and garlic.
(")_(") Copy and Paste Bunny to show your appreciation of a good meal!

Offline Manuel

• Reputation Power: 23
  • Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.Manuel is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 13th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of AirSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #11 Winner - Team LifeCard Design Competition - Help Wanted WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Competition - ChampionSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278719#msg1278719
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 04:46:14 pm »
First off, I'm really glad to see you two with your heart in the game and taking over the baton. Should be an enthusiastic finals!

Second off, @Manuel, right in the balls man ><[/b]

that wasn't totally your fault, air gen (afda made a 11/2 record) and aether gen (two times) in the first round, another 2 gen in the round where u are supposed to make a combeback is being unlucky, u could only do a little bit better against earth, entropy and death

Offline CCCombobreaker

• Reputation Power: 16
  • CCCombobreaker is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.CCCombobreaker is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.CCCombobreaker is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Sometimes still here...
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerScreenshot #3 Competition WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278723#msg1278723
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 05:31:41 pm »
Two questions:
As Master of :time , will you continue to have or abolish daylight savings time?

As Master of :time , you should know the incredible value :time has... ending with the time you begin your response, how have you spent your last 24 hours?  Are you satisfied with how you spent that :time , or if you had another day quite similar in the near future, would you spend some of that :time differently?
Deckbuilding mad scientist.  Come by and hang out in my stream!

Offline Vineroz

• Chat Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 26
  • Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.Vineroz is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Awards: Deckbuilding Competition - Simulated ViolenceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278761#msg1278761
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 07:59:29 am »
Second off, @Manuel, right in the balls man ><

You didn't steal the general role from anyone tho

But I agree that :time masters used to have a stronger character than any other masters in Element's tradition. One of the "flavor" is that all of them are able to tell a good pun. This is pretty optional but if you guys can show us your best attempt of a :time pun that would be great :D
TIME is around us. It flows silently, trying to take everything away from us.
PvP Tournament Organizer (2012 Sep - 2013 Oct, 2016 Nov - 2017 Aug) | Chat Mod (2016 Nov - )  :time

Offline kaempfer13

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 44
  • kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.kaempfer13 soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • Awards: There Can Only Be One - 2020 WinnerSlice of Elements 11th Birthday CakeOEtG Rags to Riches WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 3/2018 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerThere Can Be Only One - 2018 WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner12th Trials - Master of TimeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWinner of Draft #4 - PvP EventSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerDeckbuilding Competition: It's Greek to MeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66248.msg1278840#msg1278840
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 08:16:50 am »
I will answer some questions today, but most no sooner than Saturday. I have read and formed answers in my mind, but actually writing it out takes much more :time, especially on phone
:gravity War 10
:death and tied for master of STANDIN War 11
Master of :time War 12

blarg: DANIEELA,DoubleCapitals,SpikeSpiegel,PlayerOa,TheonlyrealBeef,Afdarenty