*Author

MrBlonde

Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg459966#msg459966
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 11:44:03 pm »
I am currently of the belief that in :life's current state, in the war setting, it is one of the weakest elements. Do you believe this as well? Honesty works well with me and i'm not asking you to sell me your element. With that said i admire you all for wanting to be master of this "underdog" of an element. When i first tried out for death, it was deemed one of the weaker elements as well.

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 77
  • willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Your tears are delicious
  • Awards: 10th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar Correspondent Competition - WinnnerWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Life4th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeShort Story: Rare Mythology Competition Winner
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg459994#msg459994
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 12:31:18 am »
willng3
Two of Life's greatest weaknesses are Dim Shield and Wings, yet a lot of the decks you brought during War were weak to these two cards. People aren't gonna play nice just because your Life. So no complaining afterwards... what WILL be changed this time?
To be honest, I'm really not sure.  I could give the simple "Carry more PC, bring more stalls to deck out decks using those cards", but let's face it, Life can counter those cards by splashing PC or forming forced synergy with another Element in order to combat those main two weaknesses, but by doing so you also take a huge risk by leaving yourself open to a number of different deck types the opponent uses.  For example, in one particular match Water used a deck with Wings against our Frogtal which ultimately resulted in a loss.  Had I decided to use PU Dragons instead of Frogtal then our chances would have been increased.  But at the same time that opens us up to another weakness to creature control via Freeze.  So in other words, while it seems as if we may have blindly walked into a huge weakness our Element faces, the truth is that we simply chose the wrong weakness to cover.  One of the reasons I specifically chose to use Life during the last TPvP Event was to increase my experience with the Element and to attempt to counter the stronger PvP Elements using Life as a duo.  I will not state specifically what counters I plan to bring as that would obviously put Life at a disadvantage in the next War if I provide a play book on how to counter its biggest threats.  But I have reflected on my mistakes and experimented with various methods on how to overcome the biggest problems from War 4.  I cannot say for certain whether or not I will succeed in predicting my opponents again, nor whether my team will support what I have in mind, but I'm determined to put my counter decks into effect regardless.
I am currently of the belief that in :life's current state, in the war setting, it is one of the weakest elements. Do you believe this as well? Honesty works well with me and i'm not asking you to sell me your element. With that said i admire you all for wanting to be master of this "underdog" of an element. When i first tried out for death, it was deemed one of the weaker elements as well.
I certainly do.  Life just lacks so many things in PvP right now for it to be a primary threat in the War scene.  In the current metagame, Life has little to no answers to its top threats except to outrush them.  If the opponent plans to counter a rush with something such as Dim Shield, then you have almost no chance of countering that deck except to use Scorpions...  Life-based stalls are typically horrible because Life actually possesses very little stalling ability when you consider that the cards designed to allow for a powerful stall are all countered by the blatant weakness to creature control (note:  I'm not considering SoG as a :life card despite its recent rework).  Honestly, the fact that a single card (Dim Shield, Wings)  can almost completely counter an entire Element alone is utterly ridiculous and it continually disappoints me when nothing is done to alleviate this problem.  Mitosis, for example, only made Life's biggest weaknesses even worse.  Is this Element doomed by zanz himself to remain inferior to all others in PvP?  I hope not, and I hope that one day soon Life will receive the help it deserves because it makes me extremely unhappy to look at the Element popularity polls and see Life at the very bottom every time.

Now, I don't like or play Life because I thought it was awesome in PvP at any point when I started playing this game.  I like it just because I have fun playing it.  I can create some of the weirdest and most interesting combinations using Life just because of its card pool.  Adrenaline is a card that no other Element even comes close to possessing and is probably one of my favorite cards in this entire game.  It makes me excited when I slap that card on a Frog and watch that baby tear through just about anything thrown at it (in a wonderful fantasy world where Dim Shield and Wings don't exist).  Decks such as USEM bore most people after a time because it's so monotonous.  Strangely, I don't get that feeling, I never have.  I've always considered myself to have an affinity for the underdogs, so maybe that's why my love for this Element in particular is so strong.

People make claims that Life fairs poorly in PvP.  I won't try to argue with them because in a sense I know that this is true, and I refuse to lie to them.  But at the same time I feel like some aspects of this game are too focused on winning and as such Life is cast aside in favor of the Elements that dominate the metagame.  If someone wants to say that Life is a poor PvP Element then fine, that's understandable.  But to say it completely sucks because of this factor?  Not true, I just don't believe they've experienced the thrill the Element has to offer firsthand when the idea of winning or losing no longer makes a difference.
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals"

Forum reigned by my mixtape

Offline DevilLoss

• Reputation Power: 9
  • DevilLoss is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Just a wandering ghost with no home.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg459995#msg459995
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 12:32:17 am »
what will you do diffrently this time around in war how will you try and counter the inactivity that plaqued team life? What element do you think best help's life beat two of the most strongest cards agiasnt it dim shield and wings, also what non life creature would you most likely use mitosis on and why build me a deck that is 50% life but doesnt use any life creatures but does use mitosis.
The Devil what more is there to say.

Offline Onizuka

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • Onizuka hides under a Cloak.
  • Donuts!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake1st Person to Escape the TempleSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeChampionship League 2/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWinner of the Harry Potter PvP House Cup - HoH5th Trials - Master of EntropyWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday Cake
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460009#msg460009
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 12:52:55 am »
will: Approximately how many bites of those apples do you think that emolga has done?
You're just as selfish as I am. You're just not as good at it yet.

Offline bogtro

• Reputation Power: 14
  • bogtro is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.bogtro is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Bring it. I'm ready.
  • Awards: 6th Trials - Master of DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2012 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460011#msg460011
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 12:54:27 am »
If you had to design 1 card that would make Life competitive in a war setting, what would it be? Do you think it is possible?
Years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash, Bob Hope, and Steve Jobs. Now we have Obama, no hope, no cash, and no jobs.

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
  • willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.willng3 is a mythical and divine giver of immortality, one of the Turquoise Nymphs.
  • Awards: 10th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWar Correspondent Competition - WinnnerWeekly Tournament Winner6th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake5th Trials - Master of Life4th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeShort Story: Rare Mythology Competition Winner
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460012#msg460012
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:54:58 am »
what will you do diffrently this time around in war how will you try and counter the inactivity that plaqued team life?

This really all depends on what the player pool looks like when the next War rolls around.  I can form hypotheses all I like, but nothing's going to made final until I know exactly what I'm dealing with.  And I'm just not a fan of disclosing War secrets to the public, therefore I'm not answering that first part besides a simple:  I plan to win more.
What element do you think best help's life beat two of the most strongest cards agiasnt it dim shield and wings
Without a specific deck given as an example I'm going to have to say Fire since Explosion is so cheap and Dim Shield...explodes easily.
, also what non life creature would you most likely use mitosis on and why
I enjoy using Mitosis on Ray of Light either to use it with Hope or to combine them with Green Nymphs.  I can also then use Mitosis on Archangels if I so decide with all of the quanta being produced.  I have no idea what would be most likely here since I mess around with it so often.
build me a deck that is 50% life but doesnt use any life creatures but does use mitosis.
Too many of these that I've already built, so I decided to go with something completely new:
Hover over cards for details, click for permalink
Deck import code : [Select]
6rq 6rq 6rq 6rq 7al 7ap 7ap 7ap 7ap 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7bu 7gm 7gm 7gm 7gm 7gm 7gp 7gp 7gr 7gr 7gr 7gr 8pp
"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals"

Offline willng3

• Legendary Member
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460020#msg460020
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 01:05:50 am »
will: Approximately how many bites of those apples do you think that emolga has done?
2, 1 for each apple.  10 men stuck him in a time loop and Emolga just hasn't realized it yet.
If you had to design 1 card that would make Life competitive in a war setting, what would it be? Do you think it is possible?
Hmm...well I guess that depends on how you perceive competitive.  If competitive to you is completing within the top 3 every time then I have my doubts as to whether or not 1 card would be able to ensure that.

But if competitive is just placing within the middle ranks then something that protects its creatures from spells would be more than enough for the simple reason that a lot of the decks we've had to bring in the past have been forced to take into account that basically anything with CC kills that deck.  Something even remotely similar to Adenosine (http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/topic,36052) would open a door to a plethora of new opportunities and make Life quite unpredictable.

Offline jippy99

• Reputation Power: 21
  • jippy99 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.jippy99 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.jippy99 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.jippy99 is a Mummy waiting to discover the path to glory.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWar #4 Winner - Team DeathSlice of Elements 2nd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460050#msg460050
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 02:02:34 am »
Boot and ak: You guys didn't fare so well against myself and the other Death challengers.  What do you think that your element lacks that allowed us to be so successful?
Think you got what it takes?  Test out your skills in some Tournaments! http://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

MrBlonde

Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460064#msg460064
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:23 am »
Great and detailed answer Willng as expected. Thanks for the honesty and reading your link in your earlier post i figured your answer would be in this vein. Life definitely is one of the more enjoyable elements to play IMO and adrenaline is one of the best spells to play. I've played a lot of USEM myself and never was monotonous for me either. I personally don't believe life sucks, it just is weak in war format and it's limitations.

Offline Bootsza

• Reputation Power: 8
  • Bootsza is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Matey!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460117#msg460117
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 05:06:39 am »
Bootsza
Do you want to be Life Master, or did you just join to make there be two Challengers?
Honestly: I joined, primarily, to make sure there would be two challengers.  If being Master of Life was my primary motivation then I would definitely have completed Phase 1 and given myself more preparation time for Phase 2.  I am sure you picked up on this theme in my opening post and I am glad you decided to focus on it.  It is an important consideration for anyone thinking about voting for me in Phase 3.

That being said: now that I am here and have made the decision to take part in Trials, I am here to compete for the title.  I believe in what I said earlier about competition making us better and raising the bar.  It should be difficult to become a Master.  The role carries weight and responsibility (I take my fun very seriously, apparently :P) and if the other two guys cannot beat me despite a big lead...

Great question, thanks!  I recently started doing some interviews for my company and it is a fascinating process.  Maybe when Trials is over I could look you up for some techniques and questions from your experience?
It is too late to apologise.  I have already forgiven you.

Offline Bootsza

• Bootsza is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • Matey!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460120#msg460120
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 05:16:15 am »
I agree with you. 

Elements is a game which is fairly well advanced, having been through multiple updates, patches and additions.  Despite this, there are some significant "balance" issues in the PvP and War Environments.

Willng3 has summed up the problems with an entire element being dominated by cards like Wings very well.  To build on that I would suggest that the Master of an element plays a role in its development.  Either as a champion for balance changes and new cards or by making Life more appealing to the community.  I know you don't want a sales pitch for Life but there is a significant group of players who drive the meta game - especially in PvP.  When that group turns its (not insignificant) mind towards using Life more or how to improve the element in the PvP environment, well, I believe there could be some exciting developments.

Congratulations on your success with Death.  It must have been extremely satisfying :)
It is too late to apologise.  I have already forgiven you.

Offline ak65ala

• ak65ala is a Spark waiting for a buff.
  • New to Elements
Re: 5th Trials - Phase 3 - Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=36647.msg460344#msg460344
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 08:25:10 pm »
Late to the party.

You will all get your answers in the next few days, if not sooner.  I want to make sure I put some time contemplating them before I reply.  Sometimes, your first reaction is not the best, and sometimes, it is better to take the time to agree with yourself about your first reaction.

anything
blarg: willng3,Bootsza