Poll

Who is most worthy to be the next Master of Life?

Mr Muffin
12 (46.2%)
mathman101
14 (53.8%)
None Worthy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 30, 2019, 01:02:17 am

*Author

Offline serprexTopic starter

• Administrator
  • Reputation Power: 0
  • serprex hides under a Cloak.
  • Awards: War #12 Winner - Team Darkness
13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67468.msg1294283#msg1294283
« on: October 23, 2019, 01:02:17 am »
Phase 3 - Community Vote

It's time to vote for your favorite Master candidate!  Every community member may vote on only one candidate. You can change your vote(s) at any time as long as there is still time on the clock.

Vote based on who you think would make the best Master of that element. Do not vote based on who is the best player or who you know personally. Try to pick someone who you think would help the community the most as THE representative for their element.  If you believe none of the Trialists should be Master, please select the "None Worthy" option. 

To help you make the best decision possible, feel free to ask the candidates questions.  Both challengers and defending Masters ought to answer the questions in this thread (and in the General questions thread) to help the voters make the best possible choice.  Please put all your answers in a single post (employing spoiler tags is recommended).  Also, challengers should include in that post a link to your Phase 1 submission post.

Questions and answers may begin now that this topic is posted.
Voting will begin when the polls are up at the official start of Phase 3.
Phase 3 ends when poll expires.

Offline mathman101

• Administrator (Warblind)
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I like pet 'thoup!!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67468.msg1294286#msg1294286
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 01:05:14 am »
Hello all I am mathman101 a known member of this forum, a former TO, former NLW, former TrO, former WM, and current admin. I have been a long time life enthusiast and have shown that in many ways throughout the forum over my years here.

Previous trials questions/answers:
Life Trials 8 - Aug 2014
Life Trials 9 - June 2015
Life Trials 10 - June 2016
Life Trials 11 - April 2017
Life Trials 12 - August 2018

Trials 13 Phase 1 Tasks

Questions/Answers:

Spoiler for Hidden:
MAAATHMAAAN? (added question mark to make sure this is a question)

You have faced mr muffin in the past, and have failed. Do you think you can beat him this time around? What gives you an edge over last time?
JOOOEEEYYY!
I can't predict the future and say I will 100% for sure beat him, but I will do my best to make a win a reality instead of just a dream. I think that if I take more time to play basic strong decks instead of trying to mindgate each game for a perfect counter.
Explain why you are more noob than your opposing trialists. If you convince me more than the others, I may give you pity vote for being so noob.
I am more noob than muffin because this will be my sixth time trialing for life, and my fifth time making it to the final battle and yet I still have not won a trials title.

To everyone who isn't playing STANDINs, who would you have liked to trial against?

I don't PvP much so personally I can't really judge raw strength and hence I won't evaluate it much when voting
I think playing against muffin again is a great opportunity to try again and win the loss from last time. Also playing again dawn to dusk for similar reasons would be a great experience to be able to finally beat him in the finals.

Here we go, all the classics:

Is the element you have trialed for your favorite?
If not, why have you chosen to trial for this particular element over your favorite?
What does the element you trial for represent to you?

In elements history, many have coupled being a Master to being War general, but there was a time when it was considered much more than that to some people.
What does being a Master mean to you?
What qualities do you expect from a Master, and do you aspire to live up to?
Yes, Life is my favorite element.
To me the element of life represents versatility. It is not a powerhouse in anyone aspect of the game, it has both rush and stall potential and works well alone or as a supporting element.
To me being a master means to represent your element in all aspects of the forum, both in PvP and non-PvP.
Similar to the last question, representing your element could be anythign from Generaling War to Bossing Brawl to showcasing your element in PvP events and tourneys. And yes these are things I plan to do if I will become Master.
Question for everyone: Why?
Because!
Do you plan to participate in War and/or Brawl if you have the time?
Do you consider being a Master to be mostly PvP-related, or should they also represent their element in competitions?
Yes I would like to participate in some way pending RL time availability. whether that is Generaling/Bossing, or being a WM/Voters Panel I think these event should still have the elements represented in some way.
I think that a Master should embrace all aspects of the forum, both PvP and non-PvP.

What is the sleeper card in your element

Sleeper meaning unpopular card that you think is strong
When I look at all the cards in life 2 different cards stand out to me as being overlooked power houses; Cockatrice and Thorn Carapace. Cockatrice is heavily overlooked by horned frog in that is still a decently cheap creature with a reasonable attack and strength. Thorn Carapace has a decent killing potential(which life lacks) when combined with constant healing(which life has multiple options for).

I will answer these and any more that come in throughout the voting phase as RL gives me allowable free time to do so. currently 7/7 completed
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 04:47:15 am by mathman101 »
something....something....something.....

Offline MyNameIsJoey

• Chat Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • I walk alone
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner 11.08.18Weekly Tournament Winner 09.06.18Weekly Tournament Winner 26.05.18Brawl #7 Winner - Green NightSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67468.msg1294321#msg1294321
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 12:29:35 am »
MAAATHMAAAN? (added question mark to make sure this is a question)

You have faced mr muffin in the past, and have failed. Do you think you can beat him this time around? What gives you an edge over last time?

and for muffin :

You have beaten mathman before. Are you confident you can do it again? What do you think of your opponent?
follow me at twitch.tv/mynameisjoey

Offline Mr Muffin

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Sort of Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake12th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWar #11 Winner - Team LifeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of LifeBattle League 1/2017 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67468.msg1294350#msg1294350
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 07:49:02 pm »
Link to my Phase 1 submission post.

In-Element Questions

Spoiler for MyNameIsJoey:
You have beaten mathman before. Are you confident you can do it again? What do you think of your opponent?
I am confident that I can do it again. If I'm not at too much of an upgrade disadvantage. I'm not so confident that I will do it again. I never know for these things so I don't usually make assumptions for what the outcome will be. Not positive ones anyway.

mathman seems nice. He has had lots of staff positions which I respect. I think for pvp he plays too fun to have the best chance of winning if you know what I mean. Sure fun is well, fun and if that's how someone likes to pvp good for them but I don't think it's all that effective if your objective is just winning. I would guess that people that play more interesting decks are generally more creative which can sometimes be good in tournaments.

EDIT: Oh hey, look at that.
I think that if I take more time to play basic strong decks instead of trying to mindgate each game for a perfect counter.

All-Element Questions

Spoiler for shockcannon:
Explain why you are more noob than your opposing trialists. If you convince me more than the others, I may give you pity vote for being so noob.

mathman has five more trophies than me meaning he is 5 points better in regards to achievements. mathman has 1,341 more posts than me at the moment meaning he has 1,341 more experience. mathman has had several staff positions including admin while I have had none. I won war, he won brawl so that evens out. Plus I wasn't around when life actually won it. That second place in Battle League was due to me being one of the like three people who played enough games to qualify. Ok fine I have gotten better results in trials but at least he has done trials more times than me making me more of a noob in that way, also there's a lot more to this community than trials.
Spoiler for Zso_Zso:
Are we supposed to post the answers here too, or in the per-element threads ?

In the per-element threads.
Spoiler for DoubleCapitals:
To everyone who isn't playing STANDINs, who would you have liked to trial against?
willng3
I meant to say to everyone who IS playing STANDINs.
oh ok.
Spoiler for TheonlyrealBeef:
Here we go, all the classics:

Is the element you have trialed for your favorite?
Yes.
What does the element you trial for represent to you?

I do think life is one of the weaker, possibly the weakest element for serious pvp. I just think it's the most fun element to mess around and build stuff with. I think it has a lot of fun cards, adrenaline is the best example, that can be used to make all sorts of things. 

What does being a Master mean to you?

To me it's a symbol of pvp accomplishment with a chosen element and knowledge of that element and I get to be a general and/or brawl boss if I want. Plus the green forum name is nice.

What qualities do you expect from a Master, and do you aspire to live up to?

Ideally a master should lead their element in war, be experienced with their element, be generally at least decent at pvp, and keep up with their card section or whatnot. They should be able and willing to give advice in regards to their element. Though these days several people are experienced enough in all aspects of the game and forum to give good advice regarding every element or pretty much anything. I think. Maybe there aren't several people that can give good advice on everything but you should be able to find out what you want to about an element without help from the master of that element.

I think brawl is not necessarily element officiated.

I aspire to be decent at pvp when I play, keep up with life's card sections or whatnot (I don't think there's really anything to do there now), and be able to answer questions in regards to life the element. I'm not sure if that counts as aspiring since those things aren't hard and I'm pretty sure I can do them now. As for war I'm not sure if I'm going to general if I win trials. I think I should try to lead life in war again if win this trials (as the masters are the chosen ones) and I probably have the time to. Trying out a soldier role sounds fun and besides winning a war I have not enjoyed being a general much. Interacting with teammates the way a general does is so unnatural and often unpleasant for me. I would rather do work for the team in the background.
Spoiler for iancudorinmarian:
Question for everyone: Why?

I don't want to give up my title for nothing and it's a courtesy to mathman.
Spoiler for Ginyu:
Do you plan to participate in War and/or Brawl if you have the time?

I'm going to at least participate in war if I have the time which I probably will. I'm not sure if I'm going to general in war if I win trials. I think I should try to lead life in war again if win this trials (as the masters are the chosen ones) and I probably have the time to. Trying out a soldier role sounds fun and besides winning a war I have not enjoyed being a general much. Interacting with teammates the way a general does is so unnatural and often unpleasant for me. I would rather do work for the team in the background.

I probably won't participate in brawl. Judging from the two brawls I've been in I don't like it much.

Do you consider being a Master to be mostly PvP-related, or should they also represent their element in competitions?

I was not under the impression that many non pvp related competitions had element affiliations. So I consider being a master to be mostly pvp related.
Spoiler for dawn to dusk:
What is the sleeper card in your element

Sleeper meaning unpopular card that you think is strong

I don't think people underrate life's cards much. I think the life cards that are strong are known to be strong and I think most of life's cards are strong. Maybe I think people think higher of life cards than they do. If there's a card I think people underrate it's mitosis. I've heard people say it's bad or not great and I agree that it's not one of life's better cards but a don't think it's bad. It's still useful in enough cases.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 02:14:43 am by Mr Muffin »

Offline mathman101

• Administrator (Warblind)
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I like pet 'thoup!!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: 13th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=67468.msg1294425#msg1294425
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 04:02:49 am »
Thank you everyone for the vote, I hope I can do you proud!

I look forward to our final battle Muffin.
something....something....something.....

anything
blarg: mathman101