Poll

Who is most worthy to be the next Master of Life?

Mr Muffin
22 (73.3%)
mathman101
8 (26.7%)
None Worthy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Voting closed: August 14, 2018, 12:08:16 am

*Author

Offline worldwideweb3Topic starter

• Master of Air
  • Reputation Power: 63
  • worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!worldwideweb3 shines with the light of the Morning Glory!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 12th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner (2021.01.03.)Weekly Tournament Winner (2020.11.22.)14th Trials - Master of AirWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.06.28.)Weekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament Winner (2020.05.03.)Elements League 3/2019 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeElements League 3/2018 1st PlaceWinner of Team PvP #812th Trials - Master of AetherElements: Academy WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerElements League 2/2017 3rd PlaceWinner of Draft #4 - PvP Event11th Trials - Master of FireBattle League 1/2017 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerBattle League and Championship League 3/2016 1st PlaceChampionship League 2/2016 1st Place10th Trials - Master of GravityChampionship League 1/2016 2nd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2015 3rd PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2015 1st PlaceWar #8 Winner - Team FireBattle League 2/2014 2nd Place
12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278649#msg1278649
« on: August 06, 2018, 11:46:48 pm »
Phase 3 - Community Vote

It's time to vote for your favorite Master candidate!  Every community member may vote on only one candidate. You can change your vote(s) at any time as long as there is still time on the clock.

Vote based on who you think would make the best Master of that element. Do not vote based on who is the best player or who you know personally. Try to pick someone who you think would help the community the most as THE representative for their element.  If you believe none of the Trialists should be Master, please select the "None Worthy" option. 

To help you make the best decision possible, feel free to ask the candidates questions.  Both challengers and defending Masters ought to answer the questions in this thread (and in the General questions thread) to help the voters make the best possible choice.  Please put all your answers in a single post (employing spoiler tags is recommended).  Also, challengers should include in that post a link to your Phase 1 submission post.

Questions and answers may begin now that this topic is posted.
Voting will begin when the polls are up at the official start of Phase 3.
Phase 3 ends when poll expires.
First player to become master of 3 different elements.
WC 2016 - #2. WC 2015 - #3 Devil's gate, Trinity, War #10, 12 lives - #2.
Avvy by rob77dp
Rightful winner of war #14 - Team Air

Offline mathman101

• Administrator (Warblind)
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I like pet 'thoup!!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278656#msg1278656
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:59:17 pm »
Reserved
something....something....something.....

Offline MyNameIsJoey

• Chat Moderator
  • Reputation Power: 41
  • MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.MyNameIsJoey soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • I walk alone
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament Winner 11.08.18Weekly Tournament Winner 09.06.18Weekly Tournament Winner 26.05.18Brawl #7 Winner - Green NightSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeBrawl #1 Winner - Team Nyan SharksWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament Winner
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278662#msg1278662
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 12:22:13 am »
Hard question for both.

For mathman101 : You have lost your match against a STANDIN. Why should I think you are fit to be master if you can't even beat someone who didn't even sign up for it?

For Mr_Muffin : 9 illegal decks won. What happened? Did you not read rules? Why not ask to make sure you understand correctly? Why should I trust someone who cannot read rules to be a master?
follow me at twitch.tv/mynameisjoey

Offline Aves

• Competition Organizer
  • Reputation Power: 43
  • Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.Aves soars like the Phoenix, unable to be repressed.
  • ~Lorem Ipsum Dolor Sit Amet~
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 14th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeBest Looking Forum Profile Slice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeForum Brawl #6 Winner - The Tentacle's GripSilver DonorBattle League 2/2016 2nd PlaceWinner of Card Design War #3Slice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeBattle League 1/2016 1st PlaceWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWar #9 Winner - Team DarknessWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 3rd Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278676#msg1278676
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 01:16:13 am »
For mathman101 : You have lost your match against a STANDIN. Why should I think you are fit to be master if you can't even beat someone who didn't even sign up for it?

http://elementscommunity.org/forum/trial-battle-results/(trials-12-phase-2)(in-element-match)(life)-standin-3-1-mathman101/msg1278574/#msg1278574

Pretty sure that isn't a loss.
:darkness War # 4, 9, 10
:darkness League of Shadows :darkness Brawl # 5

The Tentacle's Grip Brawl # 6

Offline Mr Muffin

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Sort of Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake12th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWar #11 Winner - Team LifeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of LifeBattle League 1/2017 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278679#msg1278679
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 03:38:36 am »
Link to my Phase 1 submission post.

In-Element Questions

Spoiler for ji412jo:
For Mr_Muffin : 9 illegal decks won. What happened? Did you not read rules? Why not ask to make sure you understand correctly? Why should I trust someone who cannot read rules to be a master?

Lots of text because this is a sore spot but I'll briefly summarize now in case you don't want to read that. Keep in mind this version doesn't explain details or give much context so it could give you some inaccurate impressions.

I did read the rules.
Sometimes I don't notice obvious things and this time it got me in trouble.
I didn't ask because I thought I understood everything.
If I can't understand rules but think I do then I would fail completely at every forum event I went in. This is the first time I failed and it has got me in trouble so maybe this is a one time thing. Trust me if you want. I can't really say if you should because it's difficult to stop the possibility of me failing something obvious due to the nature of the problem but it is unlikely that I'll miss something like I did when it counts. In war there are teamates to catch me when I miss something obvious so this problem of mine doesn't really hinder war performance if you're wondering about that.

Now here's the long, complete version.

Here's my upgrades rules.
Mr Muffin may use up to 5 non-pillar/pendulum permanent upgrades plus 5 of any upgraded cards in each Phase 2 deck

I thought that meant my 5 non-pillar/pendulum upgrades were permanent meaning I could use them in each deck. At the time I overlooked the possibly weird wording. I thought this implied other people's upgrades may only be for certain games but I didn't look into it because nothing seemed off. The only upgrades for other trialists that I paid attention to were those of my opponents and even then though I wrote them down I didn't pay any attention to them. Once I had in my mind what I thought my upgrade requirements were I for the most part didn't check the specific wording. Even when I did compare the upgrades I was doing and the specific rules for my upgrades I didn't notice what I was missing.

I didn't ask to make sure I understood correctly because nothing seemed wrong about what I was doing and I didn't think I was at all confused. As a rule of thumb I should start checking decks and rules with event organizers even if I can't find anything wrong with them and think I'm not at all confused to account for my poor reading (and listening but that doesn't matter here) comprehension skills.

Sometimes I can be just plain stupid and completely miss seemingly super obvious things. This also happens outside of the EtG forum/chat (just thought I'd add a bit more context). It has happened tons of times around the EtG forums and chat. Most of the time I know I'm confused, ask about it, and feel dumb when I learn the answer. I bet there's been plenty of times where I was confused but either it didn't concern me or I didn't know I was confused but it didn't matter and I never learned the obvious thing I missed. Of course there's no way to know when this happens. The only actually dangerous times is when it actually does matter (such as these trials or a brawl task) and I don't think I'm confused. Up until now the punishment had been insignificant. For example when I completely messed up Paratus' space trooper task here. I don't have another example besides this trial off the top of my head. Eventually, as you can see by my performance in phase two of this trial, this problem got me where it counted.

Trust me if you want. I can't really say if you should because it's difficult to stop the possibility of me failing something obvious due to the nature of the problem but it is unlikely that I'll miss something like I did when it counts. In war there are teamates to catch me when I miss something obvious so this problem of mine doesn't really hinder war performance if you're wondering about that.
Spoiler for InsignificantWeeaboo:
What aspect of nature do you like, and why?

I like more than one aspect of nature. I don't know what my favorite one would be. Nature sounds good. It's either quiet or has a sound such as running water or an animal making a sound. There's nothing wrong with quiet and most of the sounds I find appealing. I find appealing sounds that are appealing to me appealing because they appeal to me.

All-Element Questions

Spoiler for ji421jo:
What is your definition of Leadership
Why would my definition of leadership be different from anyone else's? Other than that before I looked it up I couldn't tell you what leadership means and maybe other people could have.
If you had asked what is my definition of good/bad leadership the answer would be personal but leadership on its own has four universal meanings.
These are taken from Webster's dictionary. I know you said your definition but why do that when I would say the same thing and the dictionary says it better? I didn't know what leadership meant which is why I looked it up.

1 : the office or position of a leader - recently assumed the leadership of the company
2 : capacity to lead - a politician who lacks leadership
3 : the act or an instance of leading - leadership molds individuals into a team —Harold Koontz & Cyril O'Donnell
4 : leaders - the party leadership
Spoiler for Basman-1453:
I am trialing for my favorite element.
For everyone that Trials for their favourite element:
  • If you end up not becoming a Master for your favourite element, will you consider an approach from WMs to General your second-fave/third-fave/what-have-you element? (Quite unlikely, but hey :silly:)
    For the sake of argument, assume that you are not a WM yourself, just in case you're thinking 'I'm a WM, there's no way the WMs will approach me to Gen'.
No.
Spoiler for ARTHANASIOS:
Will you participate in the next Brawl under the flag of your trialing element?
That's possible but extremely unlikely. There would have a brawl boss with a "life flag" because I'm definitely not going to be a boss, then I would have to join trials which I don't intend on doing, and finally I would have to end up on the team with the "life flag".
Spoiler for Kalinuial:
1. Which element do you consider the anti-you?  Which ones rubs you the wrong way or resonates least with you personally?  Please help us understand why this is the case.
None really. I like all the elements in the game for different reasons maybe liking about 5-6 of them more than the others. If I had to pick one I'd say entropy not because of the in game element just the concept of it. I used to think I didn't like this element because I thought it had the most amount of annoying cards. Later I realized that I actually really liked a lot of its cards so I like the element as a whole.

I'd say entropy because the concept of randomness sometimes rubs me the wrong way.
Sometimes I like using randomness to spare me the pain of making choices when I don't know which option is best.
On the other hand randomness in life annoys me because I don't know what's happening or going to happen and I run into things I'm not prepared for.
In games I know sometimes you need randomness to make things work but unnecessary randomness decreases the skill gap and causes unpredictable inconsistencies which I don't like. 

2.  Name two previous/current masters (you can include yourself if you wish) who you respect and have been excellent trialists, generals, and representatives of their element.  What traits do these two individuals share?  How are they different?
deuce22 and Afdarenty. They are both very experienced, good, and accomplished pvp players. I don't really know them I only know about them so beyond that I don't know how they are similar. Afdarenty has three sportsmanship awards and deuce22 has none so apparently people think Afdarenty is a better sportsman. As far as I know deuce22 has unparalleled war and trials success.

3.  This question is for anyone that has been a Master before.  Which is more psychologically challenging: winning the first Mastership or defending the Mastership?
This trials isn't over so I wouldn't know for sure quite yet but I have a good idea. Apparently trying to defend the Mastership is more psychologically challenging for me judging by my poor performance this trial. Winning my first mastership wasn't psychologically challenging at all because it was my first trials so people weren't expecting me to do well and I didn't think I had a chance of winning I was just there to get some trials experience. This time I have the fear of losing my title and people probably expected good things from me because of my performance in the last trials then life winning war. This trials has been way more psychologically challenging for me because what I think the expectations were, the conditions going into trials, then I didn't just do mediocre in phase 2 I made a horrible mistake causing most of my decks to be illegal.
Spoiler for SpikeSpiegel:
Everybody (should) know each Element has its own trait, its strenght and weakness. Being a Master means to know them perfectly.

Said that, explain what's the strenght and weakness of your Element, and, if you had the chance to add just one card (creature, spell, PC, CC, etc...) to your Element, what would it be and why?

Thanks.
Hm, strength and weakness, both singular. Not how I would have expected this kind of question. I guess now I must explain the most prominent strength and weakness of life.

Strength:
    Good damage output. 9 out of life's 15 non pillar/pendulum/mark cards are basically for raw damage output. This raw damage variety combined with life's creatures having a -1 cost bonus gives life a surplus of raw damage dealing ability. This strength is also useful when life is used with other elements whether adrenaline or mitosis are used in synergy with another element's creature or because life's creatures just give good damage for its cost.

Weakness:
    Prominent exploitable weaknesses due to the element being very incomplete. Notice how I emphasized raw damage instead of just damage. This is because life's damage doesn't bypass shields almost at all and has hardly any defense against an opponent spamming CC. Life has no PC, very limited CC, and very little and highly impractical bypass damage making it a very incomplete element. Due to this life has trouble dealing with a lot of things on its own most notably shields.

Card I would add: Deflagration
    This reasoning behind this is obvious. Life's biggest weakness in my opinion is shields and deflagration is a great anti shield card. Life having deflagration would make it a lot more versatile previously having zero PC. It was either this or steal. I chose this over steal because I thought the reduced cost would be better than getting the opponents permanent. I could be wrong.
Spoiler for DoubleCapitals:
Forwarded from Zyar over on Discord:

"What are you plans if you become master?"
Be the general for team life in war again. Other than that nothing.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 06:23:38 pm by Mr Muffin »

Offline InsignificantWeeaboo

• Newsletter Writer
  • Reputation Power: 15
  • InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.InsignificantWeeaboo is a Blue Crawler starting to think about his first run.
  • Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well.
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeWriting Competition: Draw Seven WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerCard Design Competition - The Oracle's New Year's Party WinnerWriting Competition: Haphazard Heroics WinnerDeckbuilding Competition - The Mastery Gauntlet WinnerWriting Competition: H.E.A.T. WinnerSlice of Elements 9th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278816#msg1278816
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 11:20:30 pm »
What aspect of nature do you like, and why?
O-oooooooooo AAAAE-A-A-I-A-U-JO-oooooooooooo AAE-O-A-A-U-U-A-E-eee-ee-eee AAAAE-A-E-I-E-A-JO-ooo-oo-oo-oo EEEEO-A-AAA-AAAA
Team :gravity Gen. (War #12)
Team :gravity Soldier (War #13)
Team :light Soldier (War #14)

Offline Mr Muffin

• Reputation Power: 14
  • Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.Mr Muffin is taking their first peeks out of the Antlion's burrow.
  • Sort of Young Elemental
  • Awards: Weekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 10th Birthday Cake12th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeWar #11 Winner - Team LifeWeekly Tournament Winner11th Trials - Master of LifeBattle League 1/2017 2nd PlaceSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278833#msg1278833
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 05:19:16 am »
I'm going camping Friday morning and may not be back in time to answer questions before the deadline so if you have any more questions ask them pretty much now.

If you want I'll still answer questions that I can't answer before voting after voting.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 05:09:15 pm by Mr Muffin »

Offline mathman101

• Administrator (Warblind)
  • Reputation Power: 49
  • mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.mathman101 is towering like an Amethyst Dragon over their peers.
  • I like pet 'thoup!!
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 11th Birthday Cake13th Trials - Master of LifeSlice of Elements 10th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 9th Birthday CakeBrawl #7 Winner - Green NightWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 8th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 7th Birthday CakeSilver DonorWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 6th Birthday CakeWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerSlice of Elements 5th Birthday CakeSlice of Elements 4th Birthday Cake
Re: 12th Trials - Phase 3: Community Vote https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=66245.msg1278853#msg1278853
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 05:04:19 pm »
I have a few answers in mind of how I want to respond, but I wont have the time to write out my responses until late Saturday or Sunday. My apologies, RL work became overly busy this week which is above the normal work load.

Please do keep asking questions, and I'll respond when I get the time to.
something....something....something.....

blarg: