*Author

Offline GG

• Legendary Member
  • Reputation Power: 28
  • GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.GG is a proud Wyrm taking wing for the first time.
  • Retired from everything...
  • Awards: Slice of Elements 5th Birthday Cake3rd Trials - Master of Gravity2nd Trials - Master of GravityC-C-C-Combo Maker Winner!Weekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 1/2011 WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerWeekly Tournament WinnerChampionship League 3/2010 2nd PlaceNew Passive Ability Competition Winner
Re: Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10364.msg132824#msg132824
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 03:50:10 am »
is jumba going to do anything for phase 1? there's like 1 day left and i haven't seen him post anything.
Ex-Master of :gravity, still a fervid supporter! GO GRAVY!

Jumbalumba

Re: Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10364.msg132905#msg132905
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 07:35:27 am »
Ah, very terrible on my part. I've been out of the loop with Elements and the forums basically since towards the end of the war and only really found time to organise tournaments and even then I had to pop out on occasion and required help from others. I knew there were Trials but for some reason I thought this stage didn't pertain to me.

Anyways considering lack of time (which is very much needed to test decks and beat FGs; create cards; write 1500 words), no creative flair and no readily available card ideas of my own, and the fact that Sg did provide that "Both the Master an a Challenger can skip this phase (and not get points) if he or she so chooses" I would have to take the option of skipping this phase.

Sorry to anyone who was looking forward to my contributions but I do like seeing what others have put up so far.

PhantomFox

Re: Phase 1 - Proving of Worthiness https://elementscommunity.org/forum/index.php?topic=10364.msg133379#msg133379
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 03:36:20 am »
I tried writing a wiki article, but my topic wasn't deep enough to get to the full word count, and I couldn't think up a decent picture.  Submitted it anyway, since something is better than nothing, and I'll pray for partial credit.

http://elementswiki.co.cc/articles/6663/

Mechanics of creature cost

During the creation of any game, balance is a key issue.  One such issue when creating the creatures for any Card Game is the cost / reward ratio.  That is, what you pay for and what you get should be fairly consistent across the board.  Strong creatures aren’t cheep, and weak ones aren’t expensive, as that wouldn’t make sense.  After some research, some trends appeared, and appear to be some basic principles and rules behind why creatures cost what they do.  This formula is not foolproof, as there are some holes in it, but for the most part it holds up.
The first part of this formula is the attack stat of the creature.  As this is the primary offense of the game, it’s the foundation of this formula.  Begin the calculation of the cost of the creature by giving it plus one quanta of cost for every point of attack it has.  This is the end when it comes to most vanilla creatures.  An abomination has five attack, so it costs five entropy quanta.  A Devonian Dragon has ten attack, so it costs ten time quanta.  Skeletons have just one, so they cost one death quanta.  It’s pretty simple so far.
The next part that comes into play is the creature’s health.  If a creature’s health is above five, add one quanta to its cost.  If its health is above seven, add two quanta.  If it’s ten or more, add three.  There are two exceptions to this, Stone Dragon and Hematite Golem, but they are because of a rule that will come later.  For example, an Ice Dragon has nine attack and six HP.  Nine attack gives nine quanta, and six HP adds another one, making the final cost ten. 
The main complication of this formula comes in the next section, which is its ability.  Depending on a lot of factors, this can increase or decrease the cost.  The ability can add up to four quanta to the cost, with some qualifications.  Abilities that add one quanta to the cost are Gravity Pull, Infection, Vampire, Stone Form, Lobotomize, Lycanthropy, Evolve, and Phoenix’s rebirth.  Abilities that add two to the cost are Devour, Paradox, Mutate, Poison, Dive, Heal, Immortality and the status effect, Devourer’s quanta drain passive effect, and Freeze.  Hatch adds three quanta to the cost, and growth abilities are also worth three.  A creature that can spawn other creatures adds four.  Lastly, an ability that generates quanta adds one quanta of cost for each quanta generated.  Firefly has one extra quanta of cost, but Rustler adds two.  An ability that requires an element different from the creature’s type reduces the cost by one, as does an ability that sacrifices the creature, and starting with zero HP.
The last things, is that some elements give an innate bonus to creatures of their elements.  These usually tie into the main theme of that element.  All fire creatures get one cost-free point of attack.  Life, Light, and Air all get a one quanta cost reduction to their creatures, and Earth gets one cost-free point of HP.  With these calculations, the value of each portion of each card can be found.  Likewise, when creating your own fan made card, keep these guidelines in mind.

Notes:

Entropy                  
Maxwell's Demon:   5 = 3 atk +2 (kill)
Abomination:      5 = 5 attack
Purple Dragon:    10 = 10 attack
Lycanthrope:       2 = 1 attack +2 (both stats buffed) -1 (duo ability)
Fallen Elf      4 = 3 attack +2 (Mutate) -1 (duo ability)

Death                  
Bone Dragon      10 = 10 attack
Virus         1 = 1 attack +1 (infection) -1 (sacrifice)
Flesh Spider      3 = 3 attack
Vulture      3 = 0 attack +3 (both stats grow)
Skeleton      1 = 1 attack
Mummy      4 = 5 attack -1 (duo ability)

Gravity                  
Sapphire Charger   5 = 4 attack +1 (momentum)
Armagio      5 = 1 attack +1 (grav pull) +3 (HP > 9)
Colossal Dragon   10 = 7 attack +3 (HP > 9)
Otyugh      4 = 0 attack +2 (kill) +3 (both stats grow)
Graviton Fire Eater   2 = 0 attack +3 (growing attack) -1 (duo ability)
Graviton Mercenary   4 = 3 attack

Earth                  
Antlion      2 = 2 attack
Hematite Golem   4 = 4 attack
Stone Dragon      10 = 8 attack +2 (HP > 7)
Graboid      3 = 2 attack +2 (attack buff) -1 (duo ability)
Shrieker      8 = 8 attack

Life                  
Emerald Dragon   10 = 10 attack +1 (HP > 5) -1 (Life bonus)
Horned Frog      2 = 3 attack -1 (Life bonus)
Rustler         1 = 1 attack +2 (quanta gen.) -1 (Life bonus) -1 (duo ability)
Cockatrice      3 = 4 attack -1 (Life bonus)
Forest Spirit      2 = 1 attack +3 (both stats grow) -1(duo ability) -1 (Life bonus)
Fire                  
Ash Eater      1 = 1 attack
Fire Spirit      2 = 0 attack +2 (growing attack)
Lava Golem      5 = 4 attack +3 (scaling both) -1 (duo ability)
Crimson Dragon   10 = 11 attack
Phoenix      7 = 6 attack +1 (rebirth)

Water                  
Chrysaora      1 = 0 attack +2 (poison) -1 (duo ability)
Blue Crawler      3 = 3 attack
Arctic Squid      3 = 1 attack +2 (freeze)
Ice Dragon      10 = 9 attack +1 (HP > 5)
Toadfish      5 = 5 attack +1 (infection) -1 (duo ability)
Mind Flayer      2 = 2 attack +1 (lobo) -1 (duo ability)

Light                  
Photon         0 = 1 attack -1 (element)
Golden Dragon   12 = 10 attack +3 (HP > 9) -1 (Light Bonus)
Pegasus      4 = 3 attack +2 (dive) -1 (Light Bonus) -1 (duo ability)
Guardian Angel   3 = 1 attack +2 (heal) +1 (HP > 5) -1 (Light Bonus)

Air                  
Dragonfly      1 = 1 attack -1 (Air Bonus)
Wyrm         4 = 3 attack +2 (dive) -1 (Air Bonus)
Azure Dragon      10 = 9 attack +1 (HP > 5) -1 (Air Bonus)
Firefly Queen      7 = 3 attack +4 (Spawns creatures) +2 (HP > 5) -1 (duo ability) -1 (Air Bonus)
Firefly         3 = 3 attack +1 (quanta gen.) -1 (Air Bonus)

Time                  
Deja Vu      1 = 1 attack
Devonian Dragon   10 = 10 attack
Fate Egg      3 = 0 attack +3 (hatch)
Anubis         8 = 5 attack +2 (quint) +2 (HP > 7) -1 (duo ability)
Pharaoh      9 = 3 attack +4 (Spawns creatures) +2 (HP > 7)
Scarab         2 = 2 attack +2 (kill) -1 (variable HP) -1 (duo ability)

Darkness                  
Black Dragon      10 = 10 attack
Devourer      2 = 0 attack +2 (quanta drain)
Parasite      2 = 1 attack +1 (infection)
Minor Vampire   3 = 2 attack +1 (Vampire)
Gargoyle      5 = 5 attack +1 (HP buff) -1 (duo)

Aether                  
Spark         0 = 3 attack -3 (0 HP)
Immortal      6 = 4 attack +2 (Immortal)
Phase Dragon      13 = 8 attack +2 (Immortal) +1 (HP > 5)
Phase Spider      3 = 4 attack

blarg: